Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thurman replacing Zimmerman

Started by hogcam, April 15, 2016, 06:20:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcam

Seems like a good move.. We shall see  :razorback:

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rolyat_2008

Now only if we can part ways with Cleveland and get a top notch recruiter with connections

Kevin

Does lee Mayberry take scotty's position
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Porked Tongue

Zimmerman was kind of the guy behind the scenes and ran a lot of the drill work.  He was a strong people person but not really a direct part of the recruiting.  I find this to at least improve recruiting if in fact that is part of the specs for Thurman.

Hawg Red

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 15, 2016, 06:51:12 pm
Zimmerman was kind of the guy behind the scenes and ran a lot of the drill work.  He was a strong people person but not really a direct part of the recruiting.  I find this to at least improve recruiting if in fact that is part of the specs for Thurman.

Coach Z will surely continue running drills and working with the guards, right? This puts Thurman in the scouting/recruiting roles at tournaments/regions where Coach Z would have been. Certainly we should expect Thurman to relate a weeee bit more than Z did.

Titles change. Recruiting responsibilities should definitely change. But I'd be surprised if anything else truly did.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Scott7703

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on April 15, 2016, 06:26:58 pm
Now only if we can part ways with Cleveland and get a top notch recruiter with connections

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Porked Tongue

Thurman still relates well with youth.  I could see him being good as a recruiter as far as relationships.  Of course we need those relationships to be with the real talented high school  athletes.  Sometimes I wonder about our player evaluation skills.

Maybe it'll work.

Personally, I was caught off guard but not surprised that much.  This staff is clingy.

Swinesong1

Change wanted.  Change made.  Complaints continue.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 15, 2016, 07:15:56 pm
Swinesong1, the captain needs you to rearrange the HMS Titanic's deck chairs again...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Swinesong1

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 15, 2016, 07:19:00 pm
Swinesong1, the captain needs you to rearrange the HMS Titanic's deck chairs again...
OK.

HawgAdvocate

What were the requested changes, once again?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2016, 07:22:17 pm
What were the changes requested, again?
Oooh oooh, I know!!  Pick me!!

I want the bear to stop winning...
All Gas, No Brakes!

HoopS

HOGINTENNESSEE

JIHawg

Thurman's too old to do the recruiting.

Porked Tongue

HoopS

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 15, 2016, 08:38:12 pm
Not by comparison.
I'm not sure that he would be considered too old to recruit by any standards.

Porked Tongue

He instantly would have more rapport with players than any staff member.

HoopS

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 15, 2016, 08:44:21 pm
agreed

RazorPiggie

Come on Mike. Just have the balls to fire someone or help them find a new gig and bring someone in that knows what they are doing when it comes to recruiting.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 15, 2016, 08:44:21 pm

Not saying much there lol.

AirWarren

That's the razorback battle cry.

The_Boot_stops_here

40MINSOFPUKE

First, I hate message boards and talk radio as you might be able to see by my last post probably years ago.

I'm really not concerned with anyone's opinion on here.  I have no ill will towards Scotty Thurman.  All he did was accept a job that most people in his place certainly would.  Up until April 15th 2016 I've been in the very small minority of Mike Anderson defenders for 14 YEARS!!!  I can certainly see where any and all delusional fans out there would think firing a guy that's been with you for 14 years at the college level and has 20+ years of coaching experience should be replaced by hiring a guy who has not coached, recruited or ran a drill one day in his entire life would be a fabulous idea... (It's just the world we live in now)

I couldn't be more disappointed in Mike Anderson for making this man his "excuse" for the last year. 

I am officially retiring for defending Mike Anderson.  Hard to support a guy that throws another man under the bus.  I guess the old adage is true.  Pressure does bust pipes.

BigNasty

Quote from: 40MINSOFPUKE on April 15, 2016, 10:21:44 pm
First, I hate message boards and talk radio as you might be able to see by my last post probably years ago.

I'm really not concerned with anyone's opinion on here.  I have no ill will towards Scotty Thurman.  All he did was accept a job that most people in his place certainly would.  Up until April 15th 2016 I've been in the very small minority of Mike Anderson defenders for 14 YEARS!!!  I can certainly see where any and all delusional fans out there would think firing a guy that's been with you for 14 years at the college level and has 20+ years of coaching experience should be replaced by hiring a guy who has not coached, recruited or ran a drill one day in his entire life would be a fabulous idea... (It's just the world we live in now)

I couldn't be more disappointed in Mike Anderson for making this man his "excuse" for the last year. 

I am officially retiring for defending Mike Anderson.  Hard to support a guy that throws another man under the bus.  I guess the old adage is true.  Pressure does bust pipes.

You nailed it.  Disappointed with this move as well. 

HogBreath

Quote from: 40MINSOFPUKE on April 15, 2016, 10:21:44 pm
First, I hate message boards 
You're definitely in the wrong place, Puke.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

BadHog

It's jump ball....
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

azhog10

Quote from: BigNasty on April 15, 2016, 10:34:19 pm
You nailed it.  Disappointed with this move as well.
Im actually not disappointed. It makes a lot of sense. From what I can tell, not 100% in the know on rules, Coach Z will still be doing really what he's always done. Player development, running camps, interacting with any and everyone like he always does. What he won't be able to do is go out and recruit. I think it's been obvious that Coach Z and whom he briefed we should be recruiting doesn't exactly line up with CMA. But a lot of the other stuff he does, CMA really respects him for. a change had to happen, and I've always said that Z would be the first to be moved as Watkins has clout and TJ is blood.

If Coach Z is staying with the University then I don't think he's too upset, maybe it made sense to him as well. Either way I hope the change works, but I think they stopped one guy too soon. TJ, should be the first to go, and absolutely should be gone now that we are making changes. Good luck Scotty, really hope he can bring some new life into our recruiting of top tier players.

ArkansasI

I'm happy that Scotty is getting an opportunity to coach. Has he ever done that before?  Has he ever recruited anyone?

Mike's hiring practices appear consistent with the rest of his program management. He's providing opportunity to Scotty - a man that is close to him, whom few peers appear to covet, and whose hiring might lead program observers to believe little thought was given to alternatives.

I hope it works out.

Dr. Starcs

Would Todd Day have been a better option?

And I love Scotty. Just asking on a coaching level.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 15, 2016, 10:50:08 pm
Would Todd Day have been a better option?

And I love Scotty. Just asking on a coaching level.

Scotty is way more likable than Day was. Maybe he has changed though, IDK.

Scotty was also a successful business man. So he knows how to close a deal.

Dwight_K_Shrute

April 15, 2016, 11:30:18 pm #34 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:19:59 am by Dwight_K_Shrute
To the poster no longer supporting Mike get a grip. This is big boy college athletics and this happens all the time. Most coaches are probably more business like and less loyal than Mike.  They would just send the coach packing. By all accounts Coach Z will most likely be doing everything he was doing except recruiting. He's probably making the same salary he was making. Boy that Mike he sure is heartless. Mike is paid to run the program and make tough decisions. I'm sure due to Coach Z's tenure and time with Mike this decision was not made hastily or taken lightly.   He could have flat out fired Zimmerman but he didn't. He made the least disruptive change possible.

It may work out. It may not. Time and success will tell. If it does great for the program. If not then everyone will most likely be looking for jobs.

I like the move because of what Scotty can speak to:  Playing on a national championship team and a runner up. He can speak to the system, the school, what's it like to play at BWA. But maybe most importantly he is an example that the UofA takes care of it's own. Years after his playing career was over the University and Coach A gave him an opportunity.

To circle back to say the move shows lack of integrity or disloyalty by Mike is absurd. It shows just the opposite in that he is trying to do what he thinks is best for the program and still make sure Coach Z had a job.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Otis

Kind of an odd transition don't you think? Going from play by play guy, not coaching, to now coaching? Why not promote Mayberry instead? Who's actually been helping coach. Is Rick Schaffer our next assistant?  I like Thurman, but this just seems like an odd move.

Jonteviosk

Should bring Joe Klein in to coach the bigs.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Otis on April 15, 2016, 11:37:19 pm
Kind of an odd transition don't you think? Going from play by play guy, not coaching, to now coaching? Why not promote Mayberry instead? Who's actually been helping coach. Is Rick Schaffer our next assistant?  I like Thurman, but this just seems like an odd move.

He is not the play by play guy. He's the color guy/analysts. He's also actually been working with the program since 2010. Although not officially a coach he's been involved. I
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

drester77

Thurman has a lot of aau connection. He had a team here in Little Rock before he took the job at Arkansas.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 15, 2016, 11:43:58 pm
He is not the play by play guy. He's the color guy/analysts. He's also actually been working with the program since 2010. Although not officially a coach he's been involved. I

Wasn't he the head of player development for Basketball?

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Justifiable Hogicide

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on April 16, 2016, 12:49:10 am
Officially.
I don't get why you don't get someone not involved with the past and completely outside the Nolan Richardson family. I'm going to give Scottie a chance but I can't say I'm not skeptical of this hire.

k.c.hawg

I do not understand how anyone could not like this move. 90% of recruiting is charisma and selling a product to a young man and showing him and his guardians how he is going to be a big part of that product. He can start the conversation by showing the kid a National Championship ring, he can share his experience on the hill, he can relay first hand experience of being coached by CMA, playing in The Bud, winning a National Championship. He is well spoken, a student/athlete from the U of A that has parlayed his scholarship into a lucrative career doing what he loves. When Scotty leaves the kid can google Scotty Thurman and the first thing he is going to find is Scotty Thurman cutting the guts out of Duke. Without a staff cleansing this is the closest thing you could get to slam dunk move.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

LA Football fan

This is my question.  How is moving him going to make him any better recruiter than he already was?  Was he not allowed to talk to recruits we brought in for visits??  If so, what makes anyone think he can close any better out on the road than he did on campus??  Mike's supporters will jump on ANY news and twist it to make Mike out to look better anyway they can. I also realize his detractors will use this to hammer him.   I am not asking this to support or hammer Mike.  The one thing I will concede is that it is possible that he may be able to get more sought after recruits to visit, which in turn may lead to us actually signing some highly rated out of state talent, but NOTHING in his resume suggests that this move will magically improve our recruiting.  Hoping for the best though.  I really believe our program needs stability at the head coach position and maybe our in state talent can get us over the hump the next few years.   I will admit that it appears recruiting is improving, even if it is in state talent that we should land no matter who the coach is.  I just want us to be relevant in basketball again, whether Mike is the coach or not. 

hoglady

If you're going to move a guy that's been with you for 14 years - at least, go get you a PROVEN recruiter.
Not a guy that maybe can, hopefully can and you have to pray can.
Scotty may be lights out or he may be a bust.
I'd have rather seen MA go outside the program and grab a top recruiter.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogBreath

Quote from: Jonteviosk on April 15, 2016, 11:40:30 pm
Should bring Joe Klein in to coach the bigs.
Good idea, if Kingsley doesn't return, Trey Thompson would love having his own coach I bet.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hawg Red

Quote from: LA Football fan on April 16, 2016, 09:33:23 am
This is my question.  How is moving him going to make him any better recruiter than he already was?  Was he not allowed to talk to recruits we brought in for visits??  If so, what makes anyone think he can close any better out on the road than he did on campus??  Mike's supporters will jump on ANY news and twist it to make Mike out to look better anyway they can. I also realize his detractors will use this to hammer him.   I am not asking this to support or hammer Mike.  The one thing I will concede is that it is possible that he may be able to get more sought after recruits to visit, which in turn may lead to us actually signing some highly rated out of state talent, but NOTHING in his resume suggests that this move will magically improve our recruiting.  Hoping for the best though.  I really believe our program needs stability at the head coach position and maybe our in state talent can get us over the hump the next few years.   I will admit that it appears recruiting is improving, even if it is in state talent that we should land no matter who the coach is.  I just want us to be relevant in basketball again, whether Mike is the coach or not.

Pretty hard to build any kind of a relationship with HS coaches, AAU coaches, and parents when you're limited to strictly being on-campus.

I don't know if the guy will be a good recruiter or not, but it's pretty clear there's a big difference between him being able to go out and fully recruit and any recruiting that he may or may not have done in his previous role.

HawgAdvocate

I'm more interested to know if Coach A came to this decision on his own, or if this was a 'suggested'/forced change like what happened 3 years ago when the women's soccer coach had to step in and revamp their future non-conference scheduling efforts for them.

If changes were demanded, in order to recruit more efficiently, was Scotty's promotion the only possibility ever put on the table? Were there other options to consider? Or was it a compromise between necessary change from the AD and Coach A's ongoing preference to keep change to an absolute minimum?

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 16, 2016, 10:21:21 am
I'm more interested to know if Coach A came to this decision on his own, or if this was a 'suggested'/forced change like what happened 3 years ago when the women's soccer coach had to step in and revamp their future non-conference scheduling efforts for them.

If changes were demanded, in order to recruit more efficiently, was Scotty's promotion the only possibility ever put on the table? Were there other options to consider? Or was it a compromise between necessary change from the AD and Coach A's ongoing preference to keep change to an absolute minimum?

I think Long made him make a staff change. Now we know what Mike's idea of a suitable replacement is -- yet another person he has ties to. He operates only within his own little bubble/circle.

But, with my opinion that this was pressured/forced/suggested by Long, I think it shows that Jeff is getting a little antsy. He knows that transition period for coaches like Rick Barnes, Ben Howland, Mike White, Avery Johnson, and Bruce Pearl isn't going to last forever. There are a lot more threats in the SEC now than when Anderson was hired. It's obvious to anyone with eyes that Anderson's staff has trouble recruiting consistently on top of suffering early defections as many other programs do. The ice appears to be thinning. I think it's put up or shut time for Mike with Long. Long said he gave him a pass for the first 3 years, so I don't think he's going to tolerate no NCAA appearance in two of the three seasons after that.