Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Basketball Player ever in Arkansas High School?

Started by BumpieJohnson, January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

aristotle

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 09, 2007, 07:06:14 pm
Quote from: Mister_BS on January 09, 2007, 05:31:29 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 09, 2007, 05:27:47 pm
Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm
Sidney Moncrife, Joe Johnson, Ail Thomson

Corliss Williamson

rated the #1 player in the country
I am certain Jason Kidd was rated ahead of Corliss. Kidd's team (from the Bay Area in Cali) won the King Cotton tournament that year and beat Corliss, too.

I thought that Russellville won that game.  Didn't Corliss block a shot near the end to preserve the win?

Correct. He blocked Jason Kidd's shot to win the King Cotton. Parkview won it the next year.

outlawhogeywells

My pick would be Ron Brewer and his 74 team was really good,
Another name would be Keith Lee....just think he teamed with Michael Cage....probably the best team ever in the state,,,,won something like 50 games in a row

Newhopehog

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

arkrazfan

kcstar

Corliss Williamson was the best.  Keith Lee, Ron Brewer, Sidney Moncrief, Joe Johnson and James Anderson rate very highly too.  Back in the late 60's Jackie Ridgle from Altheimer went to the University of California and made all PAC-10 two or three times averaging over 20 a game.  We can't forget Adrian Peterson and Cory Carr (although I think they actually were better in college).

hogsnorth

Moncrief, Brewer and how about U.S. Reed from Pine Bluff

HardKnockBlu

He definitely wasn't the best ever. But at 5'8'' (maybe shorter), Chico Fletcher was damn good. That goes for basketball and football.

allyoucaneatbuffet

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on January 09, 2007, 10:14:04 pm
Jason Jennings - Bald Knob

Seriously though, that 1980 team with MICHAEL CAGE and KEITH LEE was the BEST HIGH SCHOOL TEAM EVER.

joeyself

We seem to be naming a bunch of men, but how about Wendy Sholtens as the best high school player in Arkansas history?

Actually, there is another girl I'm trying to think of, but can't quite come up with her name. Gail someone, I think?

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hawgfan80

Quote from: clemens on January 09, 2007, 05:05:35 pm
joe johnson's LR Central team was probably the best ever in the state.

many at central werent even sure joe was the best player. jarrett hart was regarded as just as talented. that was a hell of a team.

Jarrett Hart was better than Joe in high school. Obviously, Joe had more potential. The best I've ever seen in high school was Corliss Williamson.

ur

I would say to compare these players, you have to give them the same rules.
Therefore with the three point line, Marvin Delph. Anyone else on an Arkansas team have his jumpshot Photo Diagrammed in Sports Illustrated? Check your old SIs for it.

SemperHawg

I watched Big Nasty in the Red River shoot-out down in Texarkana in I believe it was 1992, He had like 35 pts and over 10 boards, and the game winning two hand throw down, he looked like a man among boys.

TMc

titanhawg

He wasn't the best player while in high school, but ended up being one of the best out of Arkansas, winning 6 rings with the Bulls.  Scottie Pippen played at Hamburg High School and that team was incredible.  He was probably only 5'11" and I'm not sure he even started.  I think he was like a team manager at UCA until one summer he grew to be about 6'7" and became the most decorated player as far as championships go ever out of Arkansas.

Immensehog

I'll throw an interesting name out.

He is still in the NFL, but was probably the most-feared post player Arkansas high school ever had.

Keith Traylor from Malvern.

He broke numerous backboards around South Arkansas, and his flying elbows sent several folks to dream land.

Best high school player I have ever seen in person.  FB or BB.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

CWAYHAWG

Quote from: BEvERage on January 09, 2007, 04:36:00 pm
Marvin Delph
Incredible shooter with amazing scoring numbers without a 3 point line.  One of the best High school games ever was state overall championship game with Conway and Delph playing Fort Smith and Ron Brewer.

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: crowhawg on January 09, 2007, 07:29:21 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on January 09, 2007, 06:26:10 pm
Quote from: crowhawg on January 09, 2007, 04:58:06 pm
Without a doubt, Keith Lee from West Memphis.  One year behind Cage.  Kinda fizzled late in college.  Was an amazing HS player.

Fizzled in college?

He led Memphis St in scoring for four years. Took them to the final four his senior year.

First round draft pick taken by the Cleveland Cavs, but blew his ACL his rookie year. Back then they couldn't fix you after you blew an ACL so his career ended there. Otherwise, everyone here would know who he was.

The best team ever wouldn't have been that Parkview bunch, it would have been Lee and Cage at West Memphis. They only ever lost 1 game.

Thanks for the refresher!  Memory getting bad as I get older.  Didn't his knees start to bother him in his jr and sr year at MSU? Watched Lee play in a state playoff game during my Sr. year of High School.  TREmendous player.

Keith Lee and Michael Cage were great players no doubt.  I will nominate Charlie Ballentine from Newport.  I played against him in high school and always thought he was the best player I ever played against.  He also had a tremendous shot to beat Michael Jordan and the Tarheels.  Really, he was a good high school player and I always thought he overachieved in college.  I was sure he would be a washout at the U of A and never thought he would have made it in college.  I was glad to see him have a good college career.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

waphill

Quote from: Pig in a Poke on January 09, 2007, 06:51:02 pm
   Freddy Grim,of Green Forest.played for the hogs in the late 50's early 60's

Hell Yeah! He is a good friend of my family. Just recently inducted into the Arkansas Hall of Fame. Also coached GF to two state titles after his playing days.

weevilhogg

Quote from: JFen on January 09, 2007, 04:46:08 pm
Obviously not the best ever, but Keith Carter from Perryville was really good.

I played from 92-95 and he was the best I saw.  We handed them their 2nd loss in '95 and if he'd have had any talent around him at all, Perryville would have won the state title.

Cory Carr out of Kingsland was a awesome, too.   We played them in '94 at the UAM Tourney.  We assumed because we were bigger, we'd take 'em.  Carr got a dunk off the opening tip.  By halftime, 4 of their starting 5 had dunked on us.  Cory had a triple double after the 3rd quarter.  They whipped us by 25.

PB Dollarway had a team full of great players, but they just never put it all together -- Kevin Williams and Festus Hawkins led them.  Hawkins had the potential to be great, but was lazy.  He played a little with Illinois and a little with the Globe Trotters, but I don't know what happened to him after that.
Oh my!

dirtdobber

big men:
Keith Lee, Corliss, and Michael Cage

Best shooters:
Marvin Delph
Ricky Norton (Oklona - unbelievable range)
Joe Johnson

Best all-around:
Ron Brewer
Sydney Moncrief

Underrated:
Daryl Penny (Gurdon - helped lead his team to an overall state championship beating Hall??)

wishyjoshy

Quote from: joeyself on January 09, 2007, 10:16:36 pm
We seem to be naming a bunch of men, but how about Wendy Shortens as the best high school player in Arkansas history?

I don't know who you are talking about, but Jamie Shepman (it's spelled differently, I know) was SICK.  She played at Van Cove and then went to Louisiana Tech.  She then transferred to OBU where she beat most of the men's team. 

You guys should have seen her crossing over some of the football players in intramurals.  I laughed until I cried.

Bennie Fuller went on to be an all starr at his next level of play several times.
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

LA HAWG

These are maybe not the best but the best I have ever seen.

Patrick Hunter from Ashdown, went to Baylor.

Lamont Whitfield from Foreman,  did not get the press he deserved because he was from Foreman but in 1997 he led the state in all classifications in Scoring, rebounds, assists, and steals.  Very little known player who did not go to college.  He was one of the best players I have ever seen in person.

arkrazfan

Quote from: LA HAWG on January 10, 2007, 07:51:08 am
These are maybe not the best but the best I have ever seen.

Patrick Hunter from Ashdown, went to Baylor.

Lamont Whitfield from Foreman,  did not get the press he deserved because he was from Foreman but in 1997 he led the state in all classifications in Scoring, rebounds, assists, and steals.  Very little known player who did not go to college.  He was one of the best players I have ever seen in person.

I played against Patrick Hunter probably ten times in junior high and high school. He was a quick little dude, I'll give him that. He played overseas for a while. Haven't talked to him in about ten years, wonder what he is doing now.

ur

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on January 09, 2007, 10:48:20 pm
Quote from: crowhawg on January 09, 2007, 07:29:21 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on January 09, 2007, 06:26:10 pm
Quote from: crowhawg on January 09, 2007, 04:58:06 pm
Without a doubt, Keith Lee from West Memphis.  One year behind Cage.  Kinda fizzled late in college.  Was an amazing HS player.

Fizzled in college?

He led Memphis St in scoring for four years. Took them to the final four his senior year.

First round draft pick taken by the Cleveland Cavs, but blew his ACL his rookie year. Back then they couldn't fix you after you blew an ACL so his career ended there. Otherwise, everyone here would know who he was.

The best team ever wouldn't have been that Parkview bunch, it would have been Lee and Cage at West Memphis. They only ever lost 1 game.

Thanks for the refresher!  Memory getting bad as I get older.  Didn't his knees start to bother him in his jr and sr year at MSU? Watched Lee play in a state playoff game during my Sr. year of High School.  TREmendous player.

Keith Lee and Michael Cage were great players no doubt.  I will nominate Charlie Ballentine from Newport.  I played against him in high school and always thought he was the best player I ever played against.  He also had a tremendous shot to beat Michael Jordan and the Tarheels.  Really, he was a good high school player and I always thought he overachieved in college.  I was sure he would be a washout at the U of A and never thought he would have made it in college.  I was glad to see him have a good college career.
Oh my. I played against Ballentine too. Batesville 1981. Newport's biggest rival. Newport had a starting line up of Ballentine 6'7'' (UA), Eric Brandon 6'7"(Hendrix),Theo Young 6'5" (UA football), Ricky Dicus 6'5" (ASU baseball), a tiny guard we called "sweet pea", and Dudley "the white shadow" Dawson coming off the bench. We beat them by 15 points every time we played them. Classic games.  He was good but didn't even carry them to a state title.

aristotle

Quote from: JFen on January 10, 2007, 07:14:02 am
Quote from: joeyself on January 09, 2007, 10:16:36 pm
We seem to be naming a bunch of men, but how about Wendy Shortens as the best high school player in Arkansas history?

I don't know who you are talking about, but Jamie Shepman (it's spelled differently, I know) was SICK.  She played at Van Cove and then went to Louisiana Tech.  She then transferred to OBU where she beat most of the men's team. 

You guys should have seen her crossing over some of the football players in intramurals.  I laughed until I cried.

Wendy Scholtens ( not shortens ) was an all-american at Southside FS. She went on to be an all-american at Vanderbilt. Definitely one of the best basketball players to come out of Arkansas. Had there been a WNBA and she so desired, she would have been a top pick. She dominated.

rasorback4life

Mediocrity Rules!!!

Die Hard Hog

Anybody ever see a guy named Junior Curtis play at Benton in the mid 80's?  He averaged 25 his junior year and 27 his senior year.  Everybody in the country wanted him but he couldn't make the grades to get in.  If there had been a 3 point line then he might have averaged around 35 a game.  He was incredible.  Saw him and Willie Cutts go at it when Cutts was a senior and Curtis was a sophomore and Cutts couldn't guard him.  You guys brought up a lot of good names.  Corliss has to be close to the top of the list.  

ProfusionalHog

Adrian Peterson is the only true freshman to start for Eddie Sutton.  Adrian played at Oak Grove in 95, played 4 years at Okla St Univ, and then tore his ACL in Chicago Bulls camp.  Not sure what's up with him now.  He was built to be the next Michael Jordan.

Muffduster

Ironhawg

I saw U.S. Reed play for Pine Bluff way back in the late 70s.  Their offense was pretty simple; on defense either Reed stole the ball or when we put up a shot they had four guys crash the glass then pass to Reed who went full-court for a slam.  He was far and away the best player in the gym that night.  He was fast and could jump out of the gym.  He scored something like 40 on us that night.

bigtusk

Sidney is my favorite razorback but his game matured in college.  He was not a force in highschool like some of the others ie Corliss, Cage, Johnson.  My favorite in HS was the boot, he was a smooth shooting guard that jumped the opening tip, was the leading rebounder on his team, had that beautiful shot he brought to college and played some nice point guard.  He was on a great defensive team coached by the legendary Dale Kaurandartt.  I know I butched his name.

ozarkhog

Best in High School:

Corliss
Keith Lee
Michael Cage

Dominated games
AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

BumpieJohnson

What about Cory Nelson a skinny kid from North Little Rock but could jump out the gym. And The Snowman from Brinkely what was his name I know his last is Swanagon or something like that

middleman

Willie Cutts is the best player to ever play HS basketball in Arkansas.  He may not have panned out the way Hog fans would have wanted him but he embarrassed Johnny Dawkins in the 81 McDonalds All-American game.

middleman

reeser

Kevin Williams from Fordyce, though he's became more well known in football, all-american at OSU and pro-bowler in the NFL. that guy was a beast when we played him, he also had a few other guys on that Fordyce team that were very highly recruited until they were arrested. His senior year they probably had one of the best teams I've ever played against or saw play.
It's about getting control of your life and letting go at the same time.   - The Cup

boarhog12

Almer Lee, not like any HS player ever. He did things I never saw before or since.

SteelShot

Quote from: Spam Malone on January 09, 2007, 06:50:09 pm
Quote from: SteelShot on January 09, 2007, 05:02:26 pm
Corliss Williamson.  I saw him in a tourney in Texarkana, TX (the name escapes me, but I want to say the Red River Shootout) and the final game was Russellville against Tyler, TX.  Bobby Taylor, defensive back for Notre Dame and the Philly Eagles in the early 90s, was the staring shooting guard for Tyler, TX. 

That was the most entertaining high school game I have ever seen. 

That was the Red River Shootout in 1992 but Taylor played for Longview. Corliss caught an alley oop off an inbounds pass to win the game. Longview beat my team to make it to the finals against Russellville.

It was Longview.  Boy, I cant believe that was 15 years ago.  Wow. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

arkrazfan

Quote from: SteelShot on January 10, 2007, 11:53:22 am
Quote from: Spam Malone on January 09, 2007, 06:50:09 pm
Quote from: SteelShot on January 09, 2007, 05:02:26 pm
Corliss Williamson.  I saw him in a tourney in Texarkana, TX (the name escapes me, but I want to say the Red River Shootout) and the final game was Russellville against Tyler, TX.  Bobby Taylor, defensive back for Notre Dame and the Philly Eagles in the early 90s, was the staring shooting guard for Tyler, TX. 

That was the most entertaining high school game I have ever seen. 

That was the Red River Shootout in 1992 but Taylor played for Longview. Corliss caught an alley oop off an inbounds pass to win the game. Longview beat my team to make it to the finals against Russellville.

It was Longview.  Boy, I cant believe that was 15 years ago.  Wow. 

We played Longview with the winner getting Russellville in the finals. Longview won something like 90-50! During that tournament they let the players dunk in pregame and Bobby and the rest of Longview put on a show.

Anon2

Quote from: Pig in a Poke on January 09, 2007, 06:51:02 pm
   Freddy Grim,of Green Forest.played for the hogs in the late 50's early 60's

Loved to watch Freddy shoot that 2 hand set shot at the U of A.

davehog

BumpieJohnson

Brandon Davis out of Camdon   Emanulle Wade From Marianna Lee   Eddrick Truitt from Elane was a Beast

arkrazfan

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 10, 2007, 12:23:29 pm
Brandon Davis out of Camdon   Emanulle Wade From Marianna Lee   Eddrick Truitt from Elane was a Beast

I played with Eddrick once at Nolan's camp. Did he ever do anything at ASU?

BumpieJohnson

Quote from: Spam Malone on January 10, 2007, 12:25:08 pm
Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 10, 2007, 12:23:29 pm

I played with Eddrick once at Nolan's camp. Did he ever do anything at ASU?

I heard he got into some trubble and went back home but if he would have did right he would be right up there with Corrlis

destinhog

January 10, 2007, 12:32:14 pm #97 Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:36:06 pm by destinhog
Ricky Norton Mid 80's Okolona

arkrazfan

Everyone needs to go and look at some of these stats in the AAA record book

http://www.ahsaa.org/Record%20Book%20-%20Basketball%20Boys.pdf

BrooklynRoss

I had to deal with Corless 3 games a year. Also, I watched him block a last second shot by Jason Kidd to win the King Cotton. I have to go with him.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.