Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What does " Understands Arkansas" & " gets the south "

Started by hogsanity, November 20, 2017, 09:17:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: hogsanity on November 20, 2017, 09:17:21 am
mean. I keep seeing that any new coach or AD has to do those two things. What does that mean exactly.

It means we should hire someone with connections to Arkansas.  Think Orgeron at LSU, in contrast to Saban at Alabama.

hogrocker

The Civil War ended in 1865.  It's time for this line of thinking to end, too.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 09:13:06 am
That still does not explain what things someone is supposed " to get ". BB is the every mans coach.

What I think it means, pieced together from different things people have posted in this thread is it has to be someone that will act as if NWA is lucky to have the UofA, pander to Central and South Arkansas as if they were still the be all end of of Arkansas, go into Texas and kiss the backsides of the HS coaches, even though what has hurt recruiting there more than anything is not being in the same conference with most of those schools, sign an entire recruiting class of nothing but Arkansas kids if at all possible, and act like those kids are good enough to whip anyone just because " they want it ".

Exactly what part of the Alma Sonic do you not understand?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on November 21, 2017, 01:07:08 am
The concept in the OP applies to the athletic director more than the football coach. Arkansas is a different breed. Essentially, half of the state is considered "The South" but it's the border of the general definition of "the South." Meanwhile, the other half of the state is considered "The Midwest" but it's the border of the general definition of "The Midwest."

When you think about it, Arkansas is a collision between the South and the Midwest but no "real" cultural connection to each region as a whole. That presents some problems. With Broyles, he was able to exert power in the "Midwest" part of the state by way of pure gravitas. He was the most successful coach in Arkansas history, so who in NWA was going to argue with him? At the same time, his thick-as-molasses accent, general demeanor, and calculated efforts appealed to the "Southern" part of the state and he was able to fuse the two together.

In contrast, rightly or wrongly, the perception of Long appeared to be pandering exclusively to the "Midwest" part of the state. A calculated move to be sure as NWA seems to have a brighter future than other parts of the state. But I think he blew his wad too soon.

As far as football coaches go, it's nonsense. Think about it. If we hired Bill Belichick tomorrow and he pulled in a top-5 recruiting class, are any of us going to whine that he "doesn't understand Arkansas?" or that he "doesn't get the South?" No. Football coaches are mercenaries.

However, having someone that understands the dynamics of the state helps to "build a wall around the state" which Bielema talked mad darn about but was unable to do.

This is a really good post.

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 09:13:06 am
That still does not explain what things someone is supposed " to get ". BB is the every mans coach.

What I think it means, pieced together from different things people have posted in this thread is it has to be someone that will act as if NWA is lucky to have the UofA, pander to Central and South Arkansas as if they were still the be all end of of Arkansas, go into Texas and kiss the backsides of the HS coaches, even though what has hurt recruiting there more than anything is not being in the same conference with most of those schools, sign an entire recruiting class of nothing but Arkansas kids if at all possible, and act like those kids are good enough to whip anyone just because " they want it ".

This is your typical overblown BS.  See Jek Tono's post.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgon

You can contrast Long to Steinmetz who went on two 1000 mile bus trips around the state visiting every UA campus and practically every county in the state.  Now, I'm not saying that Long had to do that, but then again neither did Steinmetz.  Steinmetz clearly wanted to get to know the state and it's people and more importantly, wanted them to know that he wanted to get to know them.

Most of all though, I think was the feeling that Long and Bielema felt that Arkansas needed a complete makeover.  We didn't.  We just needed wins.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on November 21, 2017, 01:07:08 am
The concept in the OP applies to the athletic director more than the football coach. Arkansas is a different breed. Essentially, half of the state is considered "The South" but it's the border of the general definition of "the South." Meanwhile, the other half of the state is considered "The Midwest" but it's the border of the general definition of "The Midwest."

When you think about it, Arkansas is a collision between the South and the Midwest but no "real" cultural connection to each region as a whole. That presents some problems. With Broyles, he was able to exert power in the "Midwest" part of the state by way of pure gravitas. He was the most successful coach in Arkansas history, so who in NWA was going to argue with him? At the same time, his thick-as-molasses accent, general demeanor, and calculated efforts appealed to the "Southern" part of the state and he was able to fuse the two together.

In contrast, rightly or wrongly, the perception of Long appeared to be pandering exclusively to the "Midwest" part of the state. A calculated move to be sure as NWA seems to have a brighter future than other parts of the state. But I think he blew his wad too soon.

As far as football coaches go, it's nonsense. Think about it. If we hired Bill Belichick tomorrow and he pulled in a top-5 recruiting class, are any of us going to whine that he "doesn't understand Arkansas?" or that he "doesn't get the South?" No. Football coaches are mercenaries.

However, having someone that understands the dynamics of the state helps to "build a wall around the state" which Bielema talked mad darn about but was unable to do.

There is no part of Arkansas which is Midwest culturally.  The eastern part of the state is part of the mid South and very culturally similar to West Tenn and all but the gulf coast of Mississippi.  The southwestern part of the state is north La and NE Texas.  These are southern cultural regions.  When you talk about southern, it is composed of different regions:
Appalachia, Antebellum South, Delta, Gulf Coast and Cajun Country, Pinewoods and the Ozarks are just a few.  It isn't Midwest or upper Midwest or Great Plains like some of you want to insinuate Arkansas is. 

Now some retirees have moved into certain pockets of Arkansas.  Benton Co, Mountain Home lakes region, Hot Springs but this isn't different than how people from Ohio have taken over middle Tennessee or New Jersey, Philly and NYC have taken over north metro Atlanta.  You wouldn't insult a native Tennessean in Nashville by calling them Midwest or Georgian a Northeasterner because of what certain areas have become. 

Eastern Kentucky and southern La or western Mississippi are different.  Want to say any of them aren't southern?  Of course not.  It's dumb.  It's more of the bull darn insults from those jealous of NWA.  It's how you justify your feelings for NWA and promote the regional rivalry. 

An AD does need to understand how to relate to Arkansas.  It is a weird state with an inferiority complex who doesn't like progress.  Embrace it even if it doesn't make sense. 

As far as the fence around Arkansas, no coach will have it but every one will say they will do it.  And not offering every Friday night hero La Tech and Memphis does isn't a mistake. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 11:15:28 am

An AD does need to understand how to relate to Arkansas.  It is a weird state with an inferiority complex who doesn't like progress.  Embrace it even if it doesn't make sense. 

As far as the fence around Arkansas, no coach will have it but every one will say they will do it.  And not offering every Friday night hero La Tech and Memphis does isn't a mistake.

Excellent points
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

buldozer

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 11:11:35 am

Most of all though, I think was the feeling that Long and Bielema felt that Arkansas needed a complete makeover.  We didn't.  We just needed wins.

^^^+1^^^

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 11:11:35 am
You can contrast Long to Steinmetz who went on two 1000 mile bus trips around the state visiting every UA campus and practically every county in the state.  Now, I'm not saying that Long had to do that, but then again neither did Steinmetz.  Steinmetz clearly wanted to get to know the state and it's people and more importantly, wanted them to know that he wanted to get to know them.

Obvious direction given to Long.  Not sure what Bielema did to appear as though he thought we needed a complete makeover. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Occams Razorback

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 20, 2017, 10:28:12 am
You're probably right. I should throw away my antiquated biographies of dinosaurs such as Switzer, Landry, and Lombardi and spend more time reading your online posts.

I remember when Dana Altman was hired and then left - he was from Creighton I believe - that is fine and all but we are a bit different down here - I think he'll be the first person to tell you that - even his players there knew it and kidded him for it

In fact, after he withdrew, Chancellor White said from then on whenever he made a hire, "FIT" would be high on the list - does the person fit the school and culture among other things
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 11:15:28 am
There is no part of Arkansas which is Midwest culturally.  The eastern part of the state is part of the mid South and very culturally similar to West Tenn and all but the gulf coast of Mississippi.  The southwestern part of the state is north La and NE Texas.  These are southern cultural regions.  When you talk about southern, it is composed of different regions:
Appalachia, Antebellum South, Delta, Gulf Coast and Cajun Country, Pinewoods and the Ozarks are just a few.  It isn't Midwest or upper Midwest or Great Plains like some of you want to insinuate Arkansas is. 

Now some retirees have moved into certain pockets of Arkansas.  Benton Co, Mountain Home lakes region, Hot Springs but this isn't different than how people from Ohio have taken over middle Tennessee or New Jersey, Philly and NYC have taken over north metro Atlanta.  You wouldn't insult a native Tennessean in Nashville by calling them Midwest or Georgian a Northeasterner because of what certain areas have become. 

Eastern Kentucky and southern La or western Mississippi are different.  Want to say any of them aren't southern?  Of course not.  It's dumb.  It's more of the bull darn insults from those jealous of NWA.  It's how you justify your feelings for NWA and promote the regional rivalry. 

Yes.

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 11:35:10 am
Obvious direction given to Long.  Not sure what Bielema did to appear as though he thought we needed a complete makeover.

"Give you something you've never had before."

Throwing the A.

#Neveryield

#Uncommon

I could go on.  We are a traditional program without need of gimmicks or cheap marketing ploys to gin up enthusiasm.  Just win.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Occams Razorback on November 21, 2017, 11:36:30 am
I remember when Dana Altman was hired and then left - he was from Creighton I believe - that is fine and all but we are a bit different down here - I think he'll be the first person to tell you that - even his players there knew it and kidded him for it.
In fact, after he withdrew, Chancellor White said from then on whenever he made a hire, "FIT" would be high on the list - does the person fit the school and culture among other things

Altman is now coming off a Final 4 and just got a commitment from the nation's #1 center after signing the nation's #18, 47 and 57 players according to 24/7.  But you see, he didn't do the Hog call with enthusiasm and he is from Nebraska so he just wouldn't get Arkansas.  He would have been roasted by our fans when trying to rebuild from what Heath left behind off the court and in scholarship players after his first season.  "This yankee don't play Hawg Ball!"  "He don't get us"  "Not a fit" 

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 11:45:26 am

Throwing the A.

#Neveryield

#Uncommon

I could go on.  We are a traditional program without need of gimmicks or cheap marketing ploys to gin up enthusiasm.  Just win.

Yeah, branding and marketing are such terrible things.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Throwing the A.

#Neveryield

#Uncommon

Give me a freaking break.  So the next AD should do away with all marketing efforts?  Ignore social media?  I know that in 1986, Twitter was all the rage...

Atlhogfan1

Throwing the A.

#Neveryield

#Uncommon

reference to an SEC Championship

dumb but it wasn't exactly changing the culture

Just trying to brand his program and attract interest from recruits. 

Go on.  Let's see some more reaches.  Nutt had his.  But he was from Arkansas so it was ok.  Petrino had his including being a part of the anthracite uniforms.  But he won so it was ok. 

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 11:48:53 am
reference to an SEC Championship

dumb but it wasn't exactly changing the culture

Just trying to brand his program and attract interest from recruits. 

Go on.  Let's see some more reaches.  Nutt had his.  But he was from Arkansas so it was ok.  Petrino had his including being a part of the anthracite uniforms.  But he won so it was ok.

The uniforms was the one thing Petrino did.  Otherwise, he did little marketing.  He just won and he acted like he expected to win and that Arkansas was expected to win.

Win.  We don't need to do anything else.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 11:57:56 am
The uniforms was the one thing Petrino did.  Otherwise, he did little marketing.  He just won and he acted like he expected to win and that Arkansas was expected to win.

Win.  We don't need to do anything else.

Some program do need to do more and you can't fault coaches for trying.  Gus will. Norvell will.  They'll have their branding attempts.   

havok

It is hard for anyone to put into words to describe what that means.. but quoting a former Supreme Court Justice (Potter Stewart):

"...I know it when I see it".

HawgWyld

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 21, 2017, 08:31:38 am

"Winning" is a magic pill.....

What? You mean that the reason Petrino was accepted while Bielema and Long were not is because he was a winner? It had more to do with the ability to put points on the scoreboard than where he was from and his accent?

Certainly not! That undercuts the notion that Long and Bielema are disliked because they ain't from 'round these here parts...

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 12:07:44 pm
Some program do need to do more and you can't fault coaches for trying.  Gus will. Norvell will.  They'll have their branding attempts.

Nope, losers think that way.  Win.  As a coach that is your job.  As an AD your job is to make sure that a coach understands his job.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:19:21 pm
Nope, losers think that way.  Win.  As a coach that is your job.  As an AD your job is to make sure that a coach understands his job.

So Gus or Norvell will be losers when they try to market the Arkansas football program?  40 Minutes of Hell?  Was that a brand of a loser?  Fastest 40? 

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 12:22:50 pm
So Gus or Norvell will be losers when they try to market the Arkansas football program?  40 Minutes of Hell?  Was that a brand of a loser?  Fastest 40?

Nolan won did he not? 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:25:48 pm
Nolan won did he not?

And he branded his program.  Oregon athletics is the biggest branding story maybe in NCAA history.  Were they losers for trying it?  Your issue with Bielema isn't his branding attempts.  Just something for you to reach to pile on and whine about unnecessarily. 

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:25:48 pm
Nolan won did he not?

So you can only brand after you win?

Do products start marketing efforts after they've sold 100 units?

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 12:27:35 pm
And he branded his program.  Oregon athletics is the biggest branding story maybe in NCAA history.  Were they losers for trying it?  Your issue with Bielema isn't his branding attempts.  Just something for you to reach to pile on and whine about unnecessarily. 

It is funny they whine about branding attempts by Long and BB but then they will talk about how Arkansas needs someone exciting as coach, some one with a unique or exotic offense to gain attention of recruits. In other words, a BRAND of football to draw in players from other states.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 12:31:16 pm
It is funny they whine about branding attempts by Long and BB but then they will talk about how Arkansas needs someone exciting as coach, some one with a unique or exotic offense to gain attention of recruits. In other words, a BRAND of football to draw in players from other states.

Just win.  Don't attempt to brand or bring attention.  We only need Texas and Arkansas.  Spend all resources just recruiting those two states.  Sign 10-15 a year from Arkansas.  Give those boys a chance.  The rest from Texas.  Play 2-3 games a season in WMS. 

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 12:28:44 pm
So you can only brand after you win?

Do products start marketing efforts after they've sold 100 units?

Does Arkansas lack in support? 

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:35:23 pm
Does Arkansas lack in support?

Did you see the stands Saturday?

When the new coach comes in, you really don't think there'll be some form of messaging or branding to reignite the fire in the fanbase?

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 12:39:11 pm

When the new coach comes in, you really don't think there'll be some form of messaging or branding to reignite the fire in the fanbase?
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 12:34:52 pm
Just win.  Don't attempt to brand or bring attention.  We only need Texas and Arkansas.  Spend all resources just recruiting those two states.  Sign 10-15 a year from Arkansas.  Give those boys a chance.  The rest from Texas.  Play 2-3 games a season in WMS.

Kind of works for TCU.  They recruit from DFW and East Texas pretty much exclusively.  Maybe if Patterson would concentrate more on Twitter instead of coaching, he could have results closer to Bert's.

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 12:39:11 pm

Good thing Bert concentrated on Throwing the A or there might have only been 25k fans in the stadium.

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:41:17 pm
Good thing Bert concentrated on Throwing the A or there might have only been 25k fans in the stadium.

Man, you're hurting for darn to grasp at now. Long's gone, Bielema's next. Will be interesting to see what you turn to next.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:39:53 pm
Kind of works for TCU.  They recruit from DFW and East Texas pretty much exclusively.  Maybe if Patterson would concentrate more on Twitter instead of coaching, he could have results closer to Bert's.

Gee, shocking, they recruit mainly close to their campus. Of course they are in a huge metro area with literally dozens of p5 recruits.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 12:46:52 pm
Gee, shocking, they recruit mainly close to their campus. Of course they are in a huge metro area with literally dozens of p5 recruits.

Tell me again, does Gary Patterson end every interview with a cute catchphrase?

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:48:42 pm

Don't know, and don't care. I do not follow TCU football.

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:48:42 pm

What "cute catchphrase" does Bielema end every interview with? Is it not normally "woo pig?"

Are you saying we should do away with "woo pig" or any variations, such as "woo pig sooie?"

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 12:51:14 pm
What "cute catchphrase" does Bielema end every interview with? Is it not normally "woo pig?"

Are you saying we should do away with "woo pig" or any variations, such as "woo pig sooie?"

Bert Bielema probably should end every interview with "I'm sorry.  Please forgive me."

zuko

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 20, 2017, 09:22:20 am
I think it means understand the football culture of Arkansas and can recruit effectively in Southern living rooms, especially those along the I-30 corridor.
Exactly! Jeff Long cleaned house of all the locals and Bielema tried to play Wisconsin football. Both got away from the Southern culture installed in SEC football. The Razorbacks suffered for it because the team played for the coach rather than the school.

SlickWilly

Throwing the A.

#Neveryield

#Uncommon

I don't get why hawgon is catching grief for this.

Winning is the best branding. Need less focus on hashtags, more on Ws.

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 12:52:43 pm
Bert Bielema probably should end every interview with "I'm sorry.  Please forgive me."

Niiiice deflection. No answer, I see. Well done.

hogsanity

Quote from: zuko on November 21, 2017, 12:57:22 pm
Exactly! Jeff Long cleaned house of all the locals and Bielema tried to play Wisconsin football. Both got away from the Southern culture installed in SEC football. The Razorbacks suffered for it because the team played for the coach rather than the school.

What is the " football culture of Arkansas "?  What is "the Southern culture installed is SEC football"?

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 12:59:37 pm
Niiiice deflection. No answer, I see. Well done.

From a nonsensical question.  But, yes, "woo pig" as used by Bielema should never be uttered again.  The Yankee didn't even say it right.

hogsanity

oldhawg

Throwing the A.

#Neveryield

#Uncommon

There's always the "National Championship Under Construction," used by HDN ---- a true Arkansan

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 01:03:48 pm
From a nonsensical question.  But, yes, "woo pig" as used by Bielema should never be uttered again.  The Yankee didn't even say it right.

My "nonsensical question" stemmed from your insinuation. I was asking what phrase Bielema used at the end of interviews because you asked if Patterson ended every interview with a catchphrase, therefore insinuating that Bielema did so.

Nonsensical questions stem from nonsensical statements.

You got called out, you knew you were backpedaling, so you deflected.

Long's gone, so the Bielema bitching ensues. Bielema is gone in about a week, so what are you gonna bitch about then? I'm sure you've got a list ready to go.

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 01:06:25 pm
My "nonsensical question" stemmed from your insinuation. I was asking what phrase Bielema used at the end of interviews because you asked if Patterson ended every interview with a catchphrase, therefore insinuating that Bielema did so.

Long's gone, so the Bielema bitching ensues. Bielema is gone in about a week, so what are you gonna bitch about then? I'm sure you've got a list ready to go.

Called out?  Are you twelve?  Ban it.  No one in the history of the program has used it in the manner Bert Bielema did.  Ban it.

_Hamlet_

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 12:43:47 pm
Man, you're hurting for darn to grasp at now. Long's gone, Bielema's next. Will be interesting to see what you turn to next.
You dont know that for sure.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 01:06:25 pm

He will go after Chriss Bucknam next. He is from Mass, and went to college in Vermont. Also, in 2015 the track hogs won a award for grades, and we know how badly these guys hate student athletes being recognized for good grades.

RME

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 01:08:57 pm
Called out?  Are you twelve?  Ban it.  No one in the history of the program has used it in the manner Bert Bielema did.  Ban it.

Just to be clear, you're calling to ban "woo pig" and any variation of it?

Throwing a hissy fit over a coach ending interviews with "woo pig?" Are you twelve?

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 21, 2017, 01:10:53 pm
Just to be clear, you're calling to ban "woo pig" and any variation of it?

Throwing a hissy fit over a coach ending interviews with "woo pig?" Are you twelve?

No, I specifically said as Bert uses it.  Hissy fit?  Surely you jest, son?