Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lawson brothers leaving Memphis

Started by ShadowHawg, April 05, 2017, 12:41:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Do we have a chance? Do we have room?

Hawg Red

Answer on both is probably 'no.' We have one scholarship (that we know of) open in the immediate. Are we going to hire is dad? I'm guessing they go where dad is hired and dad will get hired somewhere. It's rumored that there will be a staff change for Arkansas. Now might be a good time to announce that, but would Mike hire outside his circle. Assuming kids will follow dad, we're talking about high-level current college players and two younger brothers in the 2019 and 2021 classes, one of which people think might be the best of them all. And you aren't taking them too far from home.

But, no, I would say he probably don't have too much of a shot.

The_Iceman

Mizzou will probably hire his dad and they will go there.

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 12:53:33 pm
Mizzou will probably hire his dad and they will go there.

I bet Martin is pissed he just completed his Coaching staff earlier today

NWAHog479

They also have another brother who plays for Penny Hardaway at Memphis East and he is an absolute beast. All 3 could play in the NBA. Very skilled family.

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 05, 2017, 12:51:25 pm
Answer on both is probably 'no.' We have one scholarship (that we know of) open in the immediate. Are we going to hire is dad? I'm guessing they go where dad is hired and dad will get hired somewhere. It's rumored that there will be a staff change for Arkansas. Now might be a good time to announce that, but would Mike hire outside his circle. Assuming kids will follow dad, we're talking about high-level current college players and two younger brothers in the 2019 and 2021 classes, one of which people think might be the best of them all. And you aren't taking them too far from home.

But, no, I would say he probably don't have too much of a shot.

It would probably be Todd Day. But maybe Day knows the family well... anyone know?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 05, 2017, 12:57:38 pm
They also have another brother who plays for Penny Hardaway at Memphis East and he is an absolute beast. All 3 could play in the NBA. Very skilled family.

The one at East was impressive when I saw him at the Bass Pro TOC.

hogfreak

There is 2 younger brothers. One is 2019 class and the other is 2021 class. Both are ranked in the top 20 for their class. Todd Day coached both of the older brothers at Hamilton High School.

forrest city joe

Is there any chance Mike takes a look at these young men?

hogwood

Quote from: hogfreak on April 05, 2017, 03:35:34 pm
There is 2 younger brothers. One is 2019 class and the other is 2021 class. Both are ranked in the top 20 for their class. Todd Day coached both of the older brothers at Hamilton High School.

Good info thanks. Then it seems if Day was hired that we would have a pretty good chance since he's already been their coach. I would love to put Day on staff anyways. Getting an inside man in Memphis would be huge.

navyhog24

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 05, 2017, 05:09:19 pm
Is there any chance Mike takes a look at these young men?

Supposedly the staff is inquiring

nwahogfan1

Where did I miss that Mike was going to open up a coaching slot?

I would love to add Coach Day to our staff.   It would think open up the Memphis area and I think he would be a great recruiter.

Mike needs to add coaches who give him a direct recruiting advantage to highly skilled recruits.  Everyone else does it. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 06, 2017, 10:47:08 am
Supposedly the staff is inquiring
Nothing wrong with that. but i just do not see this happening.but if it did.you are talking about a NC kind of team in 2018.the Lawson brothers are really good players.

elviscat

It's dad comes with the package, I think that was the problem for Memphis. Tubby, didn't like the interference with the father.

ricepig

Dad said today it would be between OM, Duke, Iowa St, or Kansas, decision soon.

azhog10

Too much baggage. Hope we stay away from these guys. Sure little bro is going to be really good, but their dad is in the Ball category. Same goes with Bagley's dad. People will see that soon enough. Parents want to control every aspect of things even after they become young adults.

Hawg Red

Never seemed like a good fit at Arkansas with all the drama that would probably come along with them, in addition to having to clear another spot than what's currently available. I do think they'll end up at Ole Miss, unfortunately. But I said it in Jumpball, but I'll repeat it here as well -- it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up going pro before ever playing college ball again. That's not my expectation but I do see it has more a possibility than you see with most players.

Kevin McPherson

You may or may not have noticed, but I tweeted/commented only once about the Lawson brothers. I was told early on that Arkansas informed a family member that Hogs did not have room, and that was the end of it. IMO, that was the right call on so many levels.

navyhog24

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 10, 2017, 12:30:35 pm
You may or may not have noticed, but I tweeted/commented only once about the Lawson brothers. I was told early on that Arkansas informed a family member that Hogs did not have room, and that was the end of it. IMO, that was the right call on so many levels.

I'm just glad it's no SEC team. Kansas is always loaded, so this is nothing new.

King Kong

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 10, 2017, 11:50:14 am
Don't see Duke or Kansas wanting to take them on. I'm sure Iowa State would love to have them, but gotta think it's OM unfortunately

Can you see it now?

NWAHog479

Super glad it's not an SEC school, I'm sure people will say they have the inside shot at the other brothers, but anything can happen!

Hawg Red