Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

softball position players

Started by flippinhogmana, November 09, 2017, 09:47:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

I sent this to psych but I thought some of the rest of you might be interested in weighing in.

so we have to fill 2nd with Yanneti's retirement (I also cant remember who played 3rd), C, one outfield spot?

C-? lot uncertainty in the whole lineup but none more than at catcher
1B - Diaz?
2nd- ?
ss-Belans? (or moves to second?
3rd-?
RF-?
CF-Parr?
LF-Cooper?
P-Hedgcock, Haff, Storms, Warwick, Stewart (best we have been there in a long while)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 09, 2017, 09:47:30 am
I sent this to psych but I thought some of the rest of you might be interested in weighing in.

so we have to fill 2nd with Yanneti's retirement (I also cant remember who played 3rd), C, one outfield spot?

C-? lot uncertainty in the whole lineup but none more than at catcher
1B - Diaz?
2nd- ?
ss-Belans? (or moves to second?
3rd-?
RF-?
CF-Parr?
LF-Cooper?
P-Hedgcock, Haff, Storms, Warwick, Stewart (best we have been there in a long while)

C - ????? Archuleta?? She struggled badly two years ago trying to catch Moll and the Outfielders. Has she developed? Brotherton? There is a Fr C, too. I have no clue who will get the nod. 
1b - Diaz will be a Jr
2b - open with Yannetti's decision to hang up the cleats. Manzo? Benz? Edwards? Ratliff? Brotherton? Lots of options. Not sure about any of them because they are either freshmen (Ratliff) or have gotten no (or almost no) playing time before.
SS - Belans probably stays put. She has a very strong arm that you want to keep over there.
3b - The player formerly known as Autumn Russell, now Autumn Buczek — married over the summer. Has become quite a solid player. 
RF/CF/OF - My guess on the outfield is Krzysko (who replaced Canfield last year and did very well at the plate), Cooper (definite starter), and ... ??? Bugarin? Maybe FR Hannah McEwan? Not sure who contributes more at the plate.
DP - Warrick (or possibly Hedgcock if she's not pitching?)
P - Storms (if she's healthy), Hedgcock, Haff, Warrick, Stewart — all of whom should be capable of giving innings to help rest Storms/CH. Haff did very well in fall ball.

I'm not sure how many starters we'll see from the 2017 recruiting class. Apart from Haff (who I do expect to pitch at least as much as Hedgcock did last year), there were no superstar players (though there are several very solid ones). Even the headline announcing the class last year was "Deifel Adds Depth." Plus, this staff has not really run out too many freshman field players — Diaz being the main exception that I can think of.

Will be very curious come February to see what the team looks like. The schedule this year is much more friendly than last year — our non-con schedule does not have a lot of marquis names — Utah being the best opponent I can see. No OK or OK State this year. No Notre Dame. Instead we have mid-week competition against St. Louis and UT-Arlington. The SEC schedule is reasonably favorable as well — no Florida, no TAMU, which are probably the top two teams in the conference. We have all three of SC, Mizzou, and MS State, who are some of the weaker teams (there are no really weak SEC teams, of course). Should be an interesting season. A lot will depend, I think, on how well Storms comes back from hip surgery, and how well Haff holds up against top competition.

flippinhogmana

yes I remember Russell now at third and she did well.  I am glad she is back.  But the old cliche "pitcher, catcher, strong up the middle" is the key to a winning team I thing works here too.  Belans did a decent job in both hitting and in the field. 

So, I think catcher and second base is highly important.  2nd I think will work out among those you listed.  Hiers last year was an outfielder as I recall previously.  I think the fact that she had a fairly strong arm and could cut down on base-runners taking advantage of the pitching was on the coaches mind when she made that decision.  I think the catchers are about the same at the plate, so I think the other elements of the catching duties will come into play, I wouldn't be surprised to see a sophomore or a freshman there.

Replacing Schroeder isnt going to be easy, she had the big bat (at least until conference play) and she played a decent right field.  I think you are right with Cooper and Krzysko, as far as the other spot?  I think we look for a big bat maybe.

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.