Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remington Crappy guns coming home to roost.

Started by DeltaBoy, February 12, 2018, 01:38:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

My 870 has never had a failure.

So there's that.
This is my non-signature signature.

twistitup

Damn Delta....did Remington fire you back in the day or something?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: twistitup on February 13, 2018, 05:18:31 am

apparently not smart enough to realize that just because you prefer another brand, it doesn't make them bad guns.

Kinda like cars. I prefer Ford. But that doesn't mean that Chevy is terrible.

Kinda like soft drinks. Just because I prefer Coke doesn't mean that Pep.....wait a minute. Pepsi is the debil .

grayhawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 14, 2018, 02:15:00 am
apparently not smart enough to realize that just because you prefer another brand, it doesn't make them bad guns.

Kinda like cars. I prefer Ford. But that doesn't mean that Chevy is terrible.

Kinda like soft drinks. Just because I prefer Coke doesn't mean that Pep.....wait a minute. Pepsi is the debil .
I have a 700 Remington I bought in 1969, and an 870 in 1965 neither has failed to worked flawlessly.     

twistitup

Quote from: grayhawg on February 14, 2018, 06:12:39 am
I have a 700 Remington I bought in 1969, and an 870 in 1965 neither has failed to worked flawlessly.     

Both are classics - never heard of issues with either.

Delta must have a history w them. Maybe he worked at the plant down by Carlisle and got fired or something.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 13, 2018, 01:52:43 am
My 870 has never had a failure.

So there's that.

I love my 870 that I got in 1982 .But their express shotguns and the issues with a few of their rifles is disturbing. I also have a 7mm BDL and 760 rifle plus a 512 22 but they were all made before 1986.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 14, 2018, 11:47:48 am
I love my 870 that I got in 1982 .But their express shotguns and the issues with a few of their rifles is disturbing. I also have a 7mm BDL and 760 rifle plus a 512 22 but they were all made before 1986.

My 870 express supermag has never failed either.

Remington Walmart Specials will have failures. That's what happens when you pay $300 for a .30-06. 

But I know how to lube a shotgun.

holeinthewall

Quote from: twistitup on February 13, 2018, 05:18:31 am

That is an awful place to work.  Fire?  they can't keep people.

hawgon

What are Remington's two best products?  The 870 and the 700.  The 700 entered production in 1962 and the 870 a decade or so before that.  The 1100 used to be the top semi-auto shotgun but the design is outdated now and they haven't ever found a suitable replacement.  And the truth is they waited too long and let companies like Benelli get an insurmountable lead in them.  No reason with its history and dominance of the American market that Remington couldn't have been the one selling $1500 shotguns to duck hunters, but they were slow and their designs were bad.  The 742/7400 used to be the standard eastern deer rifle but tastes changed and they didn't adjust.  Not to mention the marketing debacles with things like the .280/7mm Express and .260.

So, after 200 years their main designs are a pair of 60 or 70 year old designs.  What have they done to keep those two designs up to par?  Nothing more than cheapening them for the most part.  The 870 Express is a pale imitation of the Wingmaster with plastic and pot metal internals.  And I swear, that you can literally watch an 870 Express rust as you sit in a duck blind.  The notoriously poor quality of Marlin rifles after Remington bought them out nearly killed that company too.

I could go on but they have made misstep after misstep over the years.  And then for the last ten years after being acquired by Cerebus (sic?) the spiral really got going.  Cerebus is basically a corporate raider who loaded them down with debt while giving out huge bonuses to its corporate officers. 

This has been coming a long time.

kodiakisland

Remington has made some curious business decisions the last 20 years or so that has turned off a lot of people.  I am perfectly happy with the remingtons I own, but am not interested in anything new.  There are a lot great gun manufacturers out there.  Folks have more options now than ever before.  The market is so saturated with great guns, it's hard to imagine anyone making too much of a profit.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

Another thing is they bought Marlin and ran it in the ground.  My issues with Express Shotguns is seeing them Rust unless you powder coat them.

HogBreath

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 15, 2018, 09:38:01 am
Another thing is they bought Marlin and ran it in the ground.  My issues with Express Shotguns is seeing them Rust unless you powder coat them.

Not only Marlin, but also the H&R/New England lines, those guns have became really hard to find.  I just assumed the Remington brass knew what they were doing, but it sounds like they may not have, if they've filed for bankruptcy.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogBreath on February 18, 2018, 08:21:33 am

Not only Marlin, but also the H&R/New England lines, those guns have became really hard to find.  I just assumed the Remington brass knew what they were doing, but it sounds like they may not have, if they've filed for bankruptcy.

The Current leadership at Remington are a bunch of Morons.

pigture perfect

I love my A303, yes it may be a design from 120 years ago, but it's sweet. And my 742 is still as deadly as anything in the woods.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

Companies come and go.  Just look at Winchester.  They've been bought and sold so many times, it's hard to keep track of.  Remington will remain in one form or another, but really, there are lots of other choices out there, they would hardly be missed.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

grayhawg

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 22, 2018, 04:34:05 pm
Companies come and go.  Just look at Winchester.  They've been bought and sold so many times, it's hard to keep track of.  Remington will remain in one form or another, but really, there are lots of other choices out there, they would hardly be missed.
I don't own a Remington built after 1974. The last one I bought was an 870  Express magnum for my youngest son to use Duck and Turkey hunting and gave it to him for his 16th birthday. He is now 44 years old and still uses it and never had a problem with it.

hawgon

Quote from: grayhawg on February 22, 2018, 04:49:57 pm
I don't own a Remington built after 1974. The last one I bought was an 870  Express magnum for my youngest son to use Duck and Turkey hunting and gave it to him for his 16th birthday. He is now 44 years old and still uses it and never had a problem with it.

Then it isn't an Express if it was made in 1974.

twistitup

Quote from: hawgon on February 22, 2018, 05:58:44 pm

gray and fake news are like peas/carrots

grayhawg

Quote from: hawgon on February 22, 2018, 05:58:44 pm
I said I don't own a remington made after 1974. I bought the express in 1991 for my son who was turning 16, he owns it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: grayhawg on February 22, 2018, 07:15:25 pm
I said I don't own a remington made after 1974. I bought the express in 1991 for my son who was turning 16, he owns it.

Your lucky it has not rusted away.

grayhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 23, 2018, 01:17:55 pm
Your lucky it has not rusted away.
I guess so, it's spent many a rainy day in duck blinds and in it's the first 4 years my son was a teenager.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on February 14, 2018, 06:23:42 am
Both are classics - never heard of issues with either.

Delta must have a history w them. Maybe he worked at the plant down by Carlisle and got fired or something.

That's an ammunition facility.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogBreath on February 18, 2018, 08:21:33 am

They blame lawsuits tied to Sandy Hook somewhat.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

The most reliable gun I own is an Ithaca model 37 featherweight.

IronHog

Quote from: hawgon on February 15, 2018, 08:02:10 am
What are Remington's two best products?  The 870 and the 700.  The 700 entered production in 1962 and the 870 a decade or so before that.  The 1100 used to be the top semi-auto shotgun but the design is outdated now and they haven't ever found a suitable replacement.  And the truth is they waited too long and let companies like Benelli get an insurmountable lead in them.  No reason with its history and dominance of the American market that Remington couldn't have been the one selling $1500 shotguns to duck hunters, but they were slow and their designs were bad.  The 742/7400 used to be the standard eastern deer rifle but tastes changed and they didn't adjust.  Not to mention the marketing debacles with things like the .280/7mm Express and .260.

So, after 200 years their main designs are a pair of 60 or 70 year old designs.  What have they done to keep those two designs up to par?  Nothing more than cheapening them for the most part.  The 870 Express is a pale imitation of the Wingmaster with plastic and pot metal internals.  And I swear, that you can literally watch an 870 Express rust as you sit in a duck blind.  The notoriously poor quality of Marlin rifles after Remington bought them out nearly killed that company too.

I could go on but they have made misstep after misstep over the years.  And then for the last ten years after being acquired by Cerebus (sic?) the spiral really got going.  Cerebus is basically a corporate raider who loaded them down with debt while giving out huge bonuses to its corporate officers. 

This has been coming a long time.

Compare this with the once afterthought company Savage who will sell you an EXCELLENT firearm at similar price points.....and they sell a ton of them
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

twistitup

Quote from: IronHog on February 24, 2018, 11:12:08 am

Compare this with the once afterthought company Savage who will sell you an EXCELLENT firearm at similar price points.....and they sell a ton of them

Very accurate, no frills firearm - Savage

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on February 24, 2018, 05:01:45 pm
Very accurate, no frills firearm - Savage

I seen two Savage in 30-06 and 270 and they were tack driver rifles.  The Savage 110 is a poor man's 700 without the safety fire issues.

rtr

My wife bought me a 1100 16 ga. in 2005, I love that gun.  Shot a lot of pheasants with it.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

95_alum

The gas key in my Bushmaster BCG was not staked. (If anyone knows someone in NWA that can properly do this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.) Thanks for nothing Remington. Epic fail.

hawgon

Quote from: 95_alum on March 19, 2018, 09:58:19 pm
The gas key in my Bushmaster BCG was not staked. (If anyone knows someone in NWA that can properly do this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.) Thanks for nothing Remington. Epic fail.

Is it loose?  If not, it probably won't ever be.  If it really bothers you, stake it yourself.  And if you don't want to do that, just buy another bolt carrier that is staked. 

DeltaBoy

rickm1976

The older Remingtons and Marlins are good to go.  Any made after Cerebrus group bought them are hit and miss.  I own an JM Marlin 45-70 and a Remington 870, both made in the 70's.  Comparing them side by side with the newer Remingtons and Marlins, the differences in quality are striking.

twistitup

Not to mention - Remington is putting it on local companies during this bankruptcy...it's not right when a company takes care of the big dogs but doesn't pay off it's debt to local suppliers. Local suppliers are the most vulnerable and Remington has taken a big shiite on them.

F Remington

DeltaBoy

Remington not the company we grew up with for sure.

DeltaBoy

IronHog

Quote from: twistitup on April 18, 2018, 05:18:57 am
Not to mention - Remington is putting it on local companies during this bankruptcy...it's not right when a company takes care of the big dogs but doesn't pay off it's debt to local suppliers. Local suppliers are the most vulnerable and Remington has taken a big shiite on them.

F Remington

Private equity is nothing but the scum of the earth mining the economy for their own gain

Buy a company.  Load it up with debt. Get even richer while everyone else gets shafted
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hogs run wild

i have a couple of savages. i would never buy anything remington...not even bullets or suppressors. they had a great opportunity, during the ammo scare, to make drastic changes from all the money they made. instead, they continue to put out the same crap.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hog_stu

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 24, 2018, 07:42:14 am
The most reliable gun I own is an Ithaca model 37 featherweight.

hold the trigger and pump.  ;D