Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football Fan Map

Started by DukeOfPork, February 13, 2015, 01:33:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfPork

This is really cool.  I've seen maps like this before, but I haven't seen any as good as this one:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html?_r=0#5,38.405,-97.349

And here is the accompanying story that explains some of the more surprising findings:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html?abt=0002&abg=0

Seebs

That is kind of cool. Thanks for sharing
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawghiggs

No love for South Florida but plenty for Central Florida.

BearsBisonsBoars

So Arkansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin, LSU, ohio state, Wyoming, UCONN and Hawaii are the only schools who totally "control" their own state.

And Oregon is the only school that totally "controls" another state (Alaska).

Interesting.

Rooka

Love maps like this, thanks for sharing.

Hawghiggs

PennHOG

Interesting that UCLA doesn't show up

Edit:  I saw that I had to zoom in after I posted this.  Still kind of interesting that USC owns that region.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

BearsBisonsBoars

sowmonella

Great find. Thanks for posting. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

DukeOfPork

Quote from: sowmonella on February 13, 2015, 03:18:02 pm
Great find. Thanks for posting. :razorback:

And you can zoom in and get the percentage breakdown for each zip code.

go hogues

Smaller ares for Auburn and Ole Piss than I would have thought.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DukeOfPork

Quote from: go hogues on February 13, 2015, 04:37:01 pm
Smaller ares for Auburn and Ole Piss than I would have thought.

I wasn't shocked by Auburn.  But it does make you wonder how in the hell they have so much pull in recruiting because UGA dominates the moment you cross that border.

But I too was surprised by Ole Miss.  I would have thought that MSU was the stepchild statewide.  I was wrong.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 13, 2015, 04:46:15 pm
I wasn't shocked by Auburn.  But it does make you wonder how in the hell they have so much pull in recruiting because UGA dominates the moment you cross that border.

But I too was surprised by Ole Miss.  I would have thought that MSU was the stepchild statewide.  I was wrong.

It's because no one likes Ole Miss even most of the people in Mississippi.  MSU's previous AD along with current AD Scott Stricklin have made concerted efforts to boost MSU's profile in the state.  It includes slogans "Our State" and #hailstate. 

Ole Miss likes to be exclusive while MSU is trying to be inclusive and accessible. 

Map validates that the MSU strategy has worked.

You look at most state's dominated by one school and the minor schools will at least have the area right around them.  Funniest thing to me is that you hover over Jboro and Arkansas still dominates with 57%.  It would be one thing if it was 50-50 or if Astate had a majority but damn.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BearsBisonsBoars

The popularity of 'Bama all over the south and east proves that bandwagoning is alive and well in America.  :puke:

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 13, 2015, 05:22:40 pm
The popularity of 'Bama all over the south and east proves that bandwagoning is alive and well in America.  :puke:

They sell a lot of T-shirts. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 13, 2015, 05:24:31 pm
They sell a lot of T-shirts.
When I show this to my UT fan-filled family and they see Alabama in second place through most of Tennessee, they're going to seriously drink... more than they already do.  :razorback:

KY Hog Man

More longhorns in NWA than I would have thought.

twistitup

Quote from: KY Hog Man on February 13, 2015, 05:36:21 pm
More longhorns in NWA than I would have thought.

It's texas kids that move up to go to school and don't go home
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

razorbackkid

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 13, 2015, 05:09:29 pm
It's because no one likes Ole Miss even most of the people in Mississippi.  MSU's previous AD along with current AD Scott Stricklin have made concerted efforts to boost MSU's profile in the state.  It includes slogans "Our State" and #hailstate. 

Ole Miss likes to be exclusive while MSU is trying to be inclusive and accessible. 

Map validates that the MSU strategy has worked.

You look at most state's dominated by one school and the minor schools will at least have the area right around them.  Funniest thing to me is that you hover over Jboro and Arkansas still dominates with 57%.  It would be one thing if it was 50-50 or if Astate had a majority but damn.

It's been a long time since I lived in NEA (late '70's-early '80's), but I would imagine that from my childhood days up until the time I left Arkansas the percentage of Hogs fans over AState fans would have been much higher.

I used to go to basketball game at the old Indian Fieldhouse and to football games at AState.  I would always take my radio when the Razorbacks were playing at the same time.  If the Hogs game was on t.v. I stayed home to watch it. 

For me, even though I liked AState back in my high school days, the Hogs were king and the "Indian's" were.....well.....just something to do when the Razorbacks weren't on television.

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Vildsvin

Id venture a guess that Katrina had something to do with the amount of LSU fans in Arkansas