Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OT- Hogville Staff/Writers

Started by magoo, February 10, 2015, 02:00:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

magoo

I've been on here a handful of times since last summer. I'm the guy from Chicago writing a book on SEC football.

I'm looking to use one chapter in the book as a sort of college football state of the union roundtable with writers/website staff from various schools.

Is anyone on staff here willing to add their voice to a conversation about where the game is at, how its changed over the past 15-20 years and where it's headed?

You can PM me or shoot me an email at jmmarch2@gmail.com

Thanks

Jim

kibster

Quote from: magoo on February 10, 2015, 02:00:51 pm
I've been on here a handful of times since last summer. I'm the guy from Chicago writing a book on SEC football.

I'm looking to use one chapter in the book as a sort of college football state of the union roundtable with writers/website staff from various schools.

Is anyone on staff here willing to add their voice to a conversation about where the game is at, how its changed over the past 15-20 years and where it's headed?

Thanks

Jim

I would like to nominate Forrest City Joe.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Ā 

PorkRinds

kibster

Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

zane

Harry Rex
(When he gets out of jail, of course)
RIP LSUfan

Vildsvin

Oh boy.. it's open mic night at the psych ward now  :)

Dr. Starcs

Doug

Quote from: kibsterI would like to nominate Forrest City Joe.

Quote from: PorkRindsRobert Shields.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

kibster

Sivad

Quote from: kibster on February 10, 2015, 02:04:51 pm
Actually quite a nice pick.

OldCoot

Thanks

Jim

Can you give a hint to what your slant is?  Whenever someone from outside the SEC "reports" about the SEC, it typically isn't in a positive light.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

ChicoHog

In all seriousness FayetteChill, Muskogee or Oklahawg would all be good choices.  Or Biggus Piggus. 

Ā 

Steef

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 11, 2015, 09:11:40 am
In all seriousness FayetteChill, Muskogee or Oklahawg would all be good choices.  Or Biggus Piggus.

jgphillips3

SECisKing is a great contributor to put on the list too.

Lanny

Thanks

Jim
If you want one or two word sentences, I'm your guy otherwise.............Next
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Doug

Guess I'm old school, but if you can drag What'sShakinBacon's ass outta the cellar, he'd be another good one to add to the list.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Steef

Quote from: Doug on February 12, 2015, 07:02:46 am
Guess I'm old school, but if you can drag What'sShakinBacon's ass outta the cellar, he'd be another good one to add to the list.

I miss that guy.

jgphillips3

Nipsey Mussle

SONofHAM

Quote from: kibster on February 10, 2015, 02:04:51 pm
Nah...the OP probably wants some level of puncuation involved;)
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Ā 

magoo

Quote from: OldCoot on February 11, 2015, 07:57:14 am
Can you give a hint to what your slant is?  Whenever someone from outside the SEC "reports" about the SEC, it typically isn't in a positive light.

Haha, yeah I can understand that. I think it's more a look at fan culture in the South. How did SEC fans become the biggest fans in college football, maybe American sport, etc. and what aspects of fan culture here are universal to fans and which are unique to the region. 
I don't think I have too many bad things to say, with the exception of one or two schools that aren't Arkansas. But it's not a puff piece, blowing the SEC either.

For the chapter/section I need a staff writer for, I'm going to have 3 SEC East, 3 SEC West and 1 ND writers talk on a big picture CFB state of the union stuff. This is bigger than the SEC and general 'where have we been in the past generation, where are we headed'-type talk. I have 4 of the 7 interviews recorded already, need 1 more SEC East and 2 SEC West. Think I just lined up my last SEC East today..

Slowly but surely, it's coming along.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: magoo on March 10, 2015, 02:13:03 pm
Haha, yeah I can understand that. I think it's more a look at fan culture in the South. How did SEC fans become the biggest fans in college football, maybe American sport, etc. and what aspects of fan culture here are universal to fans and which are unique to the region. 
I don't think I have too many bad things to say, with the exception of one or two schools that aren't Arkansas. But it's not a puff piece, blowing the SEC either.

For the chapter/section I need a staff writer for, I'm going to have 3 SEC East, 3 SEC West and 1 ND writers talk on a big picture CFB state of the union stuff. This is bigger than the SEC and general 'where have we been in the past generation, where are we headed'-type talk. I have 4 of the 7 interviews recorded already, need 1 more SEC East and 2 SEC West. Think I just lined up my last SEC East today..

One of the reasons why fandom is so big down here is that it's still about sectional and state pride.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DeltaBoy

Amen He was a great one. I checked out Hogville with bated breath for him to post some thing about ole Nuttsack.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

I loved his posts.
Go Hogs Go!

Doug

March 11, 2015, 08:05:19 am #28 Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:40:54 am by Doug
Quote from: magooHaha, yeah I can understand that. I think it's more a look at fan culture in the South. How did SEC fans become the biggest fans in college football, maybe American sport, etc. and what aspects of fan culture here are universal to fans and which are unique to the region. 

As someone that travels to CFB (and some MBB/WBB) games for TCR, I can equivocally state that you must ABSOLUTELY add a visit to Paulson Stadium (Georgia Southern). The environment there is absolutely UNREAL.
--Doug

litmachog

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Doug

There's a reason why I didn't add Irwin to my recommendation. Absolutely not taking anything away from him; rather, there are some constraints that he has to play within. :)
--Doug

onebadrubi

Quote from: Doug on March 11, 2015, 10:50:23 am
There's a reason why I didn't add Irwin to my recommendation. Absolutely not taking anything away from him; rather, there are some constraints that he has to play within. :)

Is he contractually binded from things like this?  That's unfortunate because from a Hogs POV he would be great! 

Fayettechill does some nice write ups, but I'm not sure he can reference back from 15-20 years ago, I think he is younger, maybe even in college. 

magoo

If I'm going to talk with an Arkansas guy, after doing some digging, Irwin is the guy I want to talk to. I gather he's around here somewhere. I tweeted at him with no response.

Mike, if you read this, I want to interview you for my book. There's nothing about Arkansas specifically. It's all about where the game's at, how far we've come in a generation, and where we're headed in the next generation.

Anyone who knows Mike, if you can get this to him, I'd appreciate it.

Also, unrelated, I've almost finishing my draft of the Arkansas-Ole Miss chapter. The feedback I got from people on this site helped a great deal in explaining what it is to feel like a snake bit fan base and how state pride is as big if not bigger for Arkansas fans than any other cfb fan base.

onebadrubi

Quote from: magoo on March 30, 2015, 12:20:35 pm
If I'm going to talk with an Arkansas guy, after doing some digging, Irwin is the guy I want to talk to. I gather he's around here somewhere. I tweeted at him with no response.

Mike, if you read this, I want to interview you for my book. There's nothing about Arkansas specifically. It's all about where the game's at, how far we've come in a generation, and where we're headed in the next generation.

Anyone who knows Mike, if you can get this to him, I'd appreciate it.

Also, unrelated, I've almost finishing my draft of the Arkansas-Ole Miss chapter. The feedback I got from people on this site helped a great deal in explaining what it is to feel like a snake bit fan base and how state pride is as big if not bigger for Arkansas fans than any other cfb fan base.

He's on here frequently.  The quicker way to get in touh with him I believe would be a call out here, pm Doug and mike, as well as create a specific thread called mike Irwin.  He will have to see that before the days out I'm sure.

Goodluck

SPAL

BPsTheMan

Quote from: zane on February 10, 2015, 03:52:59 pm
Harry Rex
(When he gets out of jail, of course)

I got internet in jail

the game is still defense

15-20 years: Hal Mumme is the OC at Milsaps College or something, and his offspring are not far behind

Doug

Uhh, do not call on me. I'm not Irwin's personal assistant. KNWA doesn't pay me enough to take messages for him, either. ;)

http://www.nwahomepage.com/about is going to be your best point of contact (Razorback Nation)
--Doug

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

onebadrubi

Quote from: Doug on March 30, 2015, 06:51:34 pm
Uhh, do not call on me. I'm not Irwin's personal assistant. KNWA doesn't pay me enough to take messages for him, either. ;)

http://www.nwahomepage.com/about is going to be your best point of contact (Razorback Nation)

Haha sorry about that, but you have a way of getting to people on here at times, it seems. 

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.