Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we still going to run the play clock down to 1 every play?

Started by checkraiser88, February 10, 2015, 09:52:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

I loved how under Chaney we controlled that clock. I also give BA a ton of credit for doing this to perfection. I'm assuming that's mainly a BB thing though and nothing should change much under our new offensive coordinator. What do you guys think?

Potosihog

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 10, 2015, 09:52:20 am
I loved how under Chaney we controlled that clock. I also give BA a ton of credit for doing this to perfection. I'm assuming that's mainly a BB thing though and nothing should change much under our new offensive coordinator. What do you guys think?

I wi uld say you are correct on it being a CBB thing.

Inhogswetrust

Only if we are in hurry up mode..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

It is a solid way to help burn up the clock and shorten the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1highhog

It's the way to keep these fast paced Offenses on the bench and their defenses on the field, wearing them down gradually.  As our Offense improves even more as it left off doing at the end of last season, this will even be more of a weapon for us.  With two great backs pounding the ball and a good receiving corp to catch the ball, and I do believe we're set at Reciever, I think BA will really shine his Senior season.  I'd like to see him run a little more when the opportunity arises, but I guess this past season the Coaches almost had a no running mandate on him because of lack of experience behind him, but BA has got some speed when he needs to make a first down.

hogsanity

I hope so.  People so badly underestimate how the offense eating large chunks of clock helped our defense. In the games where they did not control the clock, the defense got tired in the 4th Q.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: 1highhog on February 10, 2015, 10:39:46 am
It's the way to keep these fast paced Offenses on the bench and their defenses on the field, wearing them down gradually.  As our Offense improves even more as it left off doing at the end of last season, this will even be more of a weapon for us.  With two great backs pounding the ball and a good receiving corp to catch the ball, and I do believe we're set at Reciever, I think BA will really shine his Senior season.  I'd like to see him run a little more when the opportunity arises, but I guess this past season the Coaches almost had a no running mandate on him because of lack of experience behind him, but BA has got some speed when he needs to make a first down.

Agree with all of this.  And since we have Austin and Rafe as decent back up choices, I think BA will be given more opportunity to get himself out of bad situations with his legs.

azhog10

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 10, 2015, 01:40:48 pm
Agree with all of this.  And since we have Austin and Rafe as decent back up choices, I think BA will be given more opportunity to get himself out of bad situations with his legs.
Not sure if I agree that this will be the case. BA will be held back from running too much due to him being so fragile. Sure we will have more developed backups, but BA has proven he can get hurt just falling to the ground, so I am not sure we will turn him loose running the ball this next season.

Hogsolo

It'll have to be varied a bit to keep D's from teeing off.   

thirrdegreetusker

Given the size of our O-line, we need to give them all the rest we can between snaps.

ricepig

Yes, occasionally calling a last second time out, and probably a delay of game penalty.

TNhawgfan

I watched a lot of Tennessee games when Chaney was OC and they did not run the clock down, so this was obviously a BB thing. So yes, he is not going to change his philosophy just because we have a new OC
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

jgphillips3

I'm sure sometimes we'll run tempo and snap it with 3 or 4 seconds left.

redeye

I hope so!  The longer their defense is on the field, and their offense is fiddling thumbs on the sideline, the better.

Hawgzinbowlz

'In 2014, Central Michigan led the MAC and ranked eighth nationally in time of possession, controlling the clock for an average of 33.24 per game.'

http://athlonsports.com/five-things-know-about-dan-enos-arkansas-new-oc

" GO HOGS "

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

flippinhogmana

First of all its just not accurate that we did that every game, every play.  I remember one least one game this year that we were going with a quick count fairly often to catch their defense unprepared ourselves.  But as a generality, using all the play clock is a good thing so long as you vary the snap count a little so their defense cant time it.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on February 10, 2015, 08:22:53 pm
'In 2014, Central Michigan led the MAC and ranked eighth nationally in time of possession, controlling the clock for an average of 33.24 per game.'

http://athlonsports.com/five-things-know-about-dan-enos-arkansas-new-oc

" GO HOGS "

That stat makes me like the hire even more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: hogsanity on February 11, 2015, 10:10:55 am
That stat makes me like the hire even more.

Time will tell (unintentional pun), and my gut feeling is that we have an OC that is on the same page as CBB and will be a fit for The Hogs physical style. Manage the clock, and still move the chains.
It's easy to be optimistic in February...lol.

" GO HOGS "

jgphillips3

I think Enos will give us what we thought we would see with Chaney: a true vertical passing game set up by bone crushing power football.

MJ2

I hate the running the clock down.   It takes away all the element of surprise or quick hitting that you get from snapping the ball quickly.   Guess that's why I don't make $4M+ per year and only win 14.3% of my conference games.

RazorbacksFan

Coach Bielema made a direct remark about this once, I believe. He commented, "I want BA to snap the ball at 4 seconds." I think he also said something is to be done at "8 seconds" (over the ball?) and also a specific time to break the huddle.

hogsanity

Quote from: MJ2 on February 11, 2015, 11:52:51 am
I hate the running the clock down.   It takes away all the element of surprise or quick hitting that you get from snapping the ball quickly.   Guess that's why I don't make $4M+ per year and only win 14.3% of my conference games.

I doubt that is the only reason.

Seriously, until they get quality depth all over the field on DEFENSE, I would rather them control the clock than watch the defense fade in the 4th Q.

IBleedRazorbackRed

When you're a physical team that punches you in the mouth, you don't need surprise.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on February 11, 2015, 12:06:49 pm

Seriously, until they get quality depth all over the field on DEFENSE, I would rather them control the clock than watch the defense fade in the 4th Q.

I agree completely.  All we need is the flexibility to be able to go faster when behind or when the opponents defense is reeling.  90% of the time we should grind the clock and frustrate the other team.  It made our defense a lot better being able to do that.

ArmyOfnobunaga

I would rather a few quick snaps at times. The biggest advantage the offense has on the line is that they all know when the ball will move.

If you go all 1 second.. .that advantage is lost...

Im not saying fast tempo... just saying snapping the ball with 5-8 secs at times would be more beneficial than hurtful.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

popcornhog

SEC winning % is out of a horribly small sample size. And the evidence points to a dramatic improvement.

So while your dog is factual, it lacks context. But you know that.
WPS

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on February 11, 2015, 12:06:49 pm

The only reason the defense had any problems in the 2nd half of games was because the OFFENSE couldn't score in the second half while controlling the clock.

TOP is over rated.

gawntrail

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 11, 2015, 10:46:31 pm
The only reason the defense had any problems in the 2nd half of games was because the OFFENSE couldn't score in the second half while controlling the clock.

TOP is over rated.

Good point.  Controlling the clock WITH a lead or controlling the clock and scoring to go ahead is the goal.  Controlling the clock for TOP sake only is worthless.

Again, good point.

MJ2

Quote from: popcornhog on February 11, 2015, 10:05:50 pm
SEC winning % is out of a horribly small sample size. And the evidence points to a dramatic improvement.

So while your dog is factual, it lacks context. But you know that.

Yes, I was exageratting.  There is a lot of improvement being shown.

hogsanity

Quote from: gawntrail on February 12, 2015, 12:02:32 am
Good point.  Controlling the clock WITH a lead or controlling the clock and scoring to go ahead is the goal.  Controlling the clock for TOP sake only is worthless.

Again, good point.

Not arguing that at all. My only point about top and defense is what we see happen with teams like Baylor and TCU. Both puked up big leads in big games simply because they kept going three and out in 35 seconds. TCU would have been 12-0 had they been able to milk the clock at Baylor, and Baylor wins their bowl game if they could have milked it against Mich St.

CattleCorn

From the thread title, I thought the OP was going to be complaining about running the clock down, lol.