Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So when did CBB pee in the cheerios of coaching search website?

Started by Potosihog, February 09, 2015, 08:07:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hellwonthaveme

As long as this team keeps making constant improvement....which it is, there is nothing to see here.

If we were mired in consecutive 3-9 seasons, then it would be of concern. I don't believe that will ever be a problem.

PRJ

Pork Twain

I remember when nobody wanted our coaches or assistants and it was not that long ago.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SONofHAM

Possibly another coach leaving...

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/02/lsu_wide_receiver_coaching_sea.html

"Smith has been the Razorbacks' receivers coach since 2013 after stints in Arizona and Kansas State coaching the same position group. He also served as a running backs coach at Kansas State for a nine-year stretch. Smith has a lot of relationships with LSU staff members and some have even reached out to gauge his interest. He recently signed a one-year extension for $275,000 at Arkansas for the 2015 season with a buyout of $40,000."
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

31to6

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2015, 11:10:04 pm
Have we lost an assistant Bielema wanted to keep and made a counteroffer to or tried to talk into staying at the least?
Shannon? Of course keeping him was going to be hard without making him DC, which would be madness after what Robb Smith did last year, but that's the only guy I can think of that we *really* wanted to keep that has left. And we all knew Shannon was on borrowed time.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Oc/qb chaney -> Enos. Appears to be upgrade
Rb Thomas -> ??. We'll see, recruiting should improve
Wr McDonald -> Smith. Downgrade in my opinion

Dc/secondary ash -> smith. Clearly an upgrade
Secondary taver -> jennings. Upgrade
Lb Shannon -> Hargreaves. Downgrade in my opinion, but we'll see
DL partridge -> segrest. Downgrade

HogMantheIntruder

The only coach that I really didn't want to lose was Shannon, and I think he's the only one CBB really didn't want to lose as well.  However, as it's been pointed out, he was destined to go back to Florida at some point, and it's hard to blame a guy for going home, especially after he gave us a couple of really good years.  Aside from RS, I think there are a few reasons for the high turnover rate since CBB came to Arkansas:

1)  Early on, the Arkansas football program was a dumpster fire, and the amount of rebuilding scared off one or two coaches (Chris Ash).
2)  CBB finally has the freedom to build this thing the way he wants, and he is still figuring out all the right pieces (Cheney).
3)  As others have said, having success will bring in the head hunters (Shannon).

Here's why I don't think, right now, this is a bad thing:

1)  CBB has a knack for spotting talent, not just in football players, but in assistant coaches (Robb Smith).
2)  See #2 above (Enos, Jennings).
3)  Success may bring in the head hunters, but it will also help to attract talented, well respected coaches to the Hill (Enos, Hargreaves).
4) If we really want to keep a coach, we can (Sam Pittman).

Remember, we are still rebuilding after... well, you know.  We're just ahead of schedule so it doesn't really feel like it anymore.  It's gonna take a little time to completely right the ship.

Once CBB gets everything in place the way he wants it, we will start to see much less turnover.  With the hiring of Enos, I believe he is very close to where he wants to be with his staff, and this should be the last season of such high attrition at Arkansas for some time. 

Just my .02
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

redswarmrising

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 09, 2015, 11:01:14 pm
To answer your question for a LONG time back in the 60s and 70s JFB had a regular coaching factory where many of his assistants were cycling through to coordinator and/or HC positions. In fact he actually encouraged these career progressions. It was almost a "who's who" of coaches that later went on to great success in college and the pros. Just a few include:

1. Jim McKenzie who went on to OU to take over the HC position back in the late 60s. Was there only a year or so in turning the program around prior to a fatal heart attack.

2. Hayden Fry who went onto to coach SMU and the Iowa Hawkeyes (and ironically coach one Bret Bielema).

3. Johnny Majors who later served as HC at Pittsburgh where he won a NC with a guy named Tony Dorsett. Majors also served as the head guy at Tennessee prior to becoming their long time AD.

4. Barry Switzer. Not only was he a former Razorback player, he also coached the Oklahoma Sooners to several national championships and a Super Bowl victory with Dallas.

5. Joe Gibbs who later coached the NFL Washington Redskins to a Super Bowl championship.

6. Jimmy Johnson, another former Hog player who went on to not only win several national championships while at Miami, but also won a Super Bowl with the Dallas Cowboys.

7. Pete Carroll, former USC HC and head man of the Super Bowl 48 champs Seattle Seahawks.

BTW there are only three coaches to ever coach both a college team and a pro team to championships. All three listed above-Switzer, Johnson and Carroll- served at one time or another as Arkansas assistant coaches under Broyles.

is it the same Joe Gibbs that owns Joe Gibbs racing in Nascar?

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 09, 2015, 11:01:14 pm
To answer your question for a LONG time back in the 60s and 70s JFB had a regular coaching factory where many of his assistants were cycling through to coordinator and/or HC positions. In fact he actually encouraged these career progressions. It was almost a "who's who" of coaches that later went on to great success in college and the pros. Just a few include:

1. Jim McKenzie who went on to OU to take over the HC position back in the late 60s. Was there only a year or so in turning the program around prior to a fatal heart attack.

2. Hayden Fry who went onto to coach SMU and the Iowa Hawkeyes (and ironically coach one Bret Bielema).

3. Johnny Majors who later served as HC at Pittsburgh where he won a NC with a guy named Tony Dorsett. Majors also served as the head guy at Tennessee prior to becoming their long time AD.

4. Barry Switzer. Not only was he a former Razorback player, he also coached the Oklahoma Sooners to several national championships and a Super Bowl victory with Dallas.

5. Joe Gibbs who later coached the NFL Washington Redskins to a Super Bowl championship.

6. Jimmy Johnson, another former Hog player who went on to not only win several national championships while at Miami, but also won a Super Bowl with the Dallas Cowboys.

7. Pete Carroll, former USC HC and head man of the Super Bowl 48 champs Seattle Seahawks.

BTW there are only three coaches to ever coach both a college team and a pro team to championships. All three listed above-Switzer, Johnson and Carroll- served at one time or another as Arkansas assistant coaches under Broyles.

Carroll coached under Holtz

JJohnson won one D-1 NC, two Super Bowls

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: SONofHAM on February 10, 2015, 01:04:10 pm
Possibly another coach leaving...

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/02/lsu_wide_receiver_coaching_sea.html

"Smith has been the Razorbacks' receivers coach since 2013 after stints in Arizona and Kansas State coaching the same position group. He also served as a running backs coach at Kansas State for a nine-year stretch. Smith has a lot of relationships with LSU staff members and some have even reached out to gauge his interest. He recently signed a one-year extension for $275,000 at Arkansas for the 2015 season with a buyout of $40,000."

One of our coaches leaving for a lateral position? Shocking. Stunned.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

IBleedRazorbackRed

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 10, 2015, 02:33:22 pm
Carroll coached under Holtz

JJohnson won one D-1 NC, two Super Bowls
My "bad" as far as Carroll. I honestly thought it was JFB so my research could have obviously been better. Doesn't change the fact he was among a long line of Arkansas assistants that definitely made good.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 10, 2015, 02:12:46 pm
Oc/qb chaney -> Enos. Appears to be upgrade
Rb Thomas -> ??. We'll see, recruiting should improve
Wr McDonald -> Smith. Downgrade in my opinion

Dc/secondary ash -> smith. Clearly an upgrade
Secondary taver -> jennings. Upgrade
Lb Shannon -> Hargreaves. Downgrade in my opinion, but we'll see
DL partridge -> segrest. Downgrade
In what world do you live?! Segrest a downgrade from Partridge. Yeah, think long and hard about that, boyo.

phadedhawg

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2015, 04:24:42 pm
In what world do you live?! Segrest a downgrade from Partridge. Yeah, think long and hard about that, boyo.

I like Segrest a lot, but Partridge was our best south florida recruiter and was a great d line coach. Segrest is good too and I like what I've seen so far, but Partridge still has the nod.

Jim Harris

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 09, 2015, 08:27:39 pm
Why keep an assistant coach if he isn't performing up to your expectations?   

why hire him to begin with?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ArmyOfnobunaga

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 10, 2015, 05:07:02 pm
why hire him to begin with?

Do folks ever get hired with the expectation that they are going to fail? Do folks ever not live up to the expectations of the employer after being hired?
Go Hogs Go!

ArmyOfnobunaga

February 10, 2015, 05:49:24 pm #69 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:00:41 pm by ArmyOfnobunaga
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2015, 05:24:21 pm
Do folks ever get hired with the expectation that they are going to fail? Do folks ever not live up to the expectations of the employer after being hired?

How exactly did all of these assistants "fail"?

Arkansas had a much improved offense in 2014 and appears (by all "experts" and 98% of hogville) to be on the rise? The defense was top ten nationally... our LBs became legitimate factors. Most rational people expect an 8 win season next year at least. As well most people think that the 2015 recruiting class was one of the best in Ar. history (myself included)...

So give me the speculation on how all of these assistants "failed". I don't really like speculation. I like facts. But i am willing to read your argument on how you deem all of these coaches as failures as you usually are one of the more logical posters.

Sir Oinksalot

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Potosihog

Speaking of the Michael Smith to LSU rumor; Didn't the contract extensions all contain a non-compete clause for the SEC?

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 10, 2015, 05:49:24 pm

Arkansas had a much improved offense in 2014 and appears (by all "experts" and 98% of hogville) to be on the rise? The defense was top ten nationally... our LBs became legitimate factors. Most rational people expect an 8 win season next year at least. As well most people think that the 2015 recruiting class was one of the best in Ar. history (myself included)...

So give me the speculation on how all of these assistants "failed". I don't really like speculation. I like facts. But i am willing to read your argument on how you deem all of these coaches as failures as you usually are one of the more logical posters.

Maybe you need to not ignore the post that I quoted in my response and then you will have a better understanding of my response.
Go Hogs Go!

ArmyOfnobunaga

I read them both... my question stands....

Why hire them to begin with... and HOW did they FAIL.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 10, 2015, 07:50:05 pm

The implication is that it was a mistake to hire them to begin with, which would be a reason for allowing them to leave instead of retaining them. Do you not retain people you value, that have met or exceeded expectations? I'm not saying this about Thomas because I think this was a career/resume builder move for him, but again, if it was a matter of money, the resources were there to retain him.

Not sure why you don't understand.
Go Hogs Go!

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2015, 08:00:00 pm
The implication is that it was a mistake to hire them to begin with, which would be a reason for allowing them to leave instead of retaining them. Do you not retain people you value, that have met or exceeded expectations? I'm not saying this about Thomas because I think this was a career/resume builder move for him, but again, if it was a matter of money, the resources were there to retain him.

Not sure why you don't understand.

Fine man... How did they not live up to "expectations"?

Explain this to me.... as Ive said...

How did they not meet
"Expectations"

Because I'm sure you have facts. Ive read all 10k plus posts of yours. I want to read how these  guys didn't meet expectations and were "cut loose".

Im sure your response will have no speculation.

Cheers.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 10, 2015, 08:31:04 pm
Fine man... How did they not live up to "expectations"?

Explain this to me.... as Ive said...

How did they not meet
"Expectations"

Because I'm sure you have facts. Ive read all 10k plus posts of yours. I want to read how these  guys didn't meet expectations and were "cut loose".

Im sure your response will have no speculation.

Cheers.

Looking for an argument? You are looking in the wrong place. Even though we obviously disagree.
Go Hogs Go!

ArmyOfnobunaga

Sorry... thought you could defend your post.

Its all good.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 10, 2015, 08:31:04 pm
You've read all 10k plus posts??? That's stalkerrific, Good for you!
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pork Twain

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 10, 2015, 10:39:15 pm
Sorry... thought you could defend your post.

Its all good.
What is there to defend?  Surely looks like we have upgraded with every move.  Some seem to have been pushed out the door and some left for better jobs.  Fact is we were a better team this year than last and will likely be a better team next year, then this one.

Redhogs

Arkansas did not have a "much improved" offense in 2014.....defense yes, offense, not so much.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

dmaxfan

IMHO, Bielema left due to Barry Alverez. He is too tight with money (unless it's him coaching a bowl game). They are one of the top grossing programs but their facilities are outdated and the staff are underpaid compared to other programs.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 10, 2015, 07:50:05 pm

Why does ANYBODY ever get married?  The divorce rate is about 50%.  Why get married if you're going to fail anyway.

Geesh. 
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hawgzinbowlz

It seems the normal ebb and flow of a D-1 football coaching staff.

It's Feb. so we can slice and dice it as there's not a lot going on...except Baum is fixin' to open.

" GO OMAHOGS "

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2015, 06:50:58 am

shhh.....they're reaching for anything they can so they can keep pushing their negative Bielema spin.  If this is the best they can offer in negativity, then we might be turning the corner within the program
Dang Chris, I didn't realize your karma, on here, was so skewed toward the negative...I don't know if I can be friends anymore. LMAO!
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

NaturalStateReb

I think it's hard to gauge the impact of turnover immediately.  Certainly, there's some loss of productivity whenever you have personnel changes, but it's usually hard to grasp the positive or negative impacts until you're down the road a ways. 

I'd take a wait and see approach.  Not all turnover is bad.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 11, 2015, 01:12:18 pm
I think it's hard to gauge the impact of turnover immediately.  Certainly, there's some loss of productivity whenever you have personnel changes, but it's usually hard to grasp the positive or negative impacts until you're down the road a ways. 

I'd take a wait and see approach.  Not all turnover is bad.

Very nice post, sir.  +1
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858