Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So when did CBB pee in the cheerios of coaching search website?

Started by Potosihog, February 09, 2015, 08:07:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

Guy keeps retweeting about the amount of turnover on the AR staff under CBB.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Potosihog on February 09, 2015, 08:07:17 pm

Maybe because it's true? Not saying the turnover is not warranted, but there has been quiet a bit.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

(notOM)Rebel123

Who cares what they have to say? Nothing to get upset about. If the turnover leads to improvement....so be it.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

regi

hvsupastar

What's funny is that was one of the talking points for Bret coming here from Wisconsin
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hardtimes79

Its the way of the coaching world right now though.  Just look around and you see movement everyday.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

IBleedRazorbackRed

They also tweeted out quite a bit about his recruiting philosophy. They just write an article and then post it on twitter multiple times to get as many views as possible.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: hardtimes79 on February 09, 2015, 08:15:56 pm
Its the way of the coaching world right now though.  Just look around and you see movement everyday.

Bret didn't want guys taking lateral jobs. He's fine if someone gets a real promotion.

ricepig

Quote from: hvsupastar on February 09, 2015, 08:13:30 pm
What's funny is that was one of the talking points for Bret coming here from Wisconsin

Like leaving for lateral jobs for more money?

ArmyOfnobunaga

They must not care about the hogville smit hammer....

Oh yeah me too....

I've said before that it's slightly concerning that the turnover is this high. And regardless of then group thought th people are leaving for lateral jobs.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

hoghiker

Springs around the bend. People be poke'm they head up, we ain't been seein' much of here lately.

ThisTeetsTaken

Why keep an assistant coach if he isn't performing up to your expectations?   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 09, 2015, 08:27:39 pm
Why keep an assistant coach if he isn't performing up to your expectations?   

True. Keep in mind, due to Alvarez's tight reins, CBB wasn't afforded the luxury of making improvements in the staff like he is now.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PGTIGERHOG

In answer to the original question, the guy doesn't like how quiet the searches conducted by CBB tend to be.  They make money by having stories leaked by sources.  With CBB the best they can do is guess and they usually get it wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: PGTIGERHOG on February 09, 2015, 08:39:32 pm
In answer to the original question, the guy doesn't like how quiet the searches conducted by CBB tend to be.  They make money by having stories leaked by sources.  With CBB the best they can do is guess and they usually get it wrong.

Yeah, I almost quit following them the other day, figuring we didn't/wouldn't have any openings, so no need to fill up my time line. Just when I thought I could get out, they keep dragging me back in.....

Sivad

Sure beats a HDN keeping the Murray State Mafia ensconced on the Hill.

rljjr

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 09, 2015, 08:09:47 pm
Maybe because it's true? Not saying the turnover is not warranted, but there has been quiet a bit.

Yet no more than others that were never established. It's interesting.

secfan30

Quote from: Sivad on February 09, 2015, 08:56:31 pm

Agreed!!! Better to lose someone to The New Orleans Saints, Ohio State, Florida, head coach, etc than to leave cause we couldn't pay them... Or keep them because no one else wanted them. Not comparing him as far as success yet, but comparing to potential eye for talent or lack thereof,  but didn't Broyles lose some assistants along the way.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 09, 2015, 08:10:08 pm
Who cares what they have to say? Nothing to get upset about. If the turnover leads to improvement....so be it.

Quote from: regi on February 09, 2015, 08:11:11 pm
I hate when guys point out facts....wait

And using mature thought and common sense ... sheesh!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

WaltonCollege

Bielema demands A LOT from his assistants. They are paid well and he expects them to recruit heavily (minus Cheney). Petrino never had basically all his assistants around the country in a different state recruiting. Joel T has two young kids he got tired of the full time travel that comes with recruiting and wanted something more stable with saints.

bamahogfan

Kind of hard to believe they would be the ones making issue of this. His little website wouldn't exist without coaching turnover.

JIHawg

I suppose some of you negative nancys would like to go back to the Murray State Mafia days. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: secfan30 on February 09, 2015, 09:04:27 pm
Agreed!!! Better to lose someone to The New Orleans Saints, Ohio State, Florida, head coach, etc than to leave cause we couldn't pay them... Or keep them because no one else wanted them. Not comparing him as far as success yet, but comparing to potential eye for talent or lack thereof,  but didn't Broyles lose some assistants along the way.
To answer your question for a LONG time back in the 60s and 70s JFB had a regular coaching factory where many of his assistants were cycling through to coordinator and/or HC positions. In fact he actually encouraged these career progressions. It was almost a "who's who" of coaches that later went on to great success in college and the pros. Just a few include:

1. Jim McKenzie who went on to OU to take over the HC position back in the late 60s. Was there only a year or so in turning the program around prior to a fatal heart attack.

2. Hayden Fry who went onto to coach SMU and the Iowa Hawkeyes (and ironically coach one Bret Bielema).

3. Johnny Majors who later served as HC at Pittsburgh where he won a NC with a guy named Tony Dorsett. Majors also served as the head guy at Tennessee prior to becoming their long time AD.

4. Barry Switzer. Not only was he a former Razorback player, he also coached the Oklahoma Sooners to several national championships and a Super Bowl victory with Dallas.

5. Joe Gibbs who later coached the NFL Washington Redskins to a Super Bowl championship.

6. Jimmy Johnson, another former Hog player who went on to not only win several national championships while at Miami, but also won a Super Bowl with the Dallas Cowboys.

7. Pete Carroll, former USC HC and head man of the Super Bowl 48 champs Seattle Seahawks.

BTW there are only three coaches to ever coach both a college team and a pro team to championships. All three listed above-Switzer, Johnson and Carroll- served at one time or another as Arkansas assistant coaches under Broyles.

Atlhogfan1

Have we lost an assistant Bielema wanted to keep and made a counteroffer to or tried to talk into staying at the least?

Not saying the internet writer has an agenda.  He is in B1G territory in Michigan and attended Michigan State.  Bielema's leaving for Arkansas wasn't just leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas.  He left the B1G for an SEC program yet to win an SEC Ch and he gave one of the reasons for leaving he was tired of losing assistants due to not being able to be competitive in pay. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Murr

What's the problem here?  If CBB is hiring good coaches, obviously other programs will offer them more money and promotions.  If these coaches suck, they'll get fired.  Keeping an assistant coach around for a couple of years is about all you can expect.

forrest city joe

That's a good thing. coaches come and coaches go. i will not lose any sleep over Chaney and Thomas leaving. good men and good coaches. but nothing great about either. Shannon leaving will hurt(he was a heck of a LB coach)but i think Hargraves was a good hire.he will see.

longpig

They must be reacting to him saying that kissing the recruiting services arses is how some programs get higher ratings. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: longpig on February 10, 2015, 02:26:13 am
They must be reacting to him saying that kissing the recruiting services arses is how some programs get higher ratings. 

So obvious...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pork Twain

What's funny is that was not one of the talking points but people act like it was.

I would prefer stability but these guys are not leaving for lateral jobs.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Chief Mac

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 10, 2015, 06:29:02 am
What's funny is that was not one of the talking points but people act like it was.

I would prefer stability but these guys are not leaving for lateral jobs.

shhh.....they're reaching for anything they can so they can keep pushing their negative Bielema spin.  If this is the best they can offer in negativity, then we might be turning the corner within the program
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

longtimeHogfan

Some time back Mike Irwin addressed this topic.  Paraphrasing:  "If teams come after your coaches it's because they've been successful on the field.  If they hadn't been they wouldn't be in demand."

So, it seems to me, as we continue to improve and achieve success on the field we'll continue to have coaches in demand.  And that's a good thing.  It's something successful programs deal with.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

popcornhog

It's a website abut coaching changes. Christ.
WPS

Chief Mac

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 10, 2015, 06:56:05 am
Some time back Mike Irwin addressed this topic.  Paraphrasing:  "If teams come after your coaches it's because they've been successful on the field.  If they hadn't been they wouldn't be in demand."

So, it seems to me, as we continue to improve and achieve success on the field we'll continue to have coaches in demand.  And that's a good thing.  It's something successful programs deal with.

its a shock to some after the last two coaching staffs (not including JLS) that we have assistants that are in demand.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

MuskogeeHogFan

At his last stop, he had great success and he had coaches raided from his staff because of that success. That's what happens when people have an appreciation for what you are doing. He just didn't have money at his disposal to make enough of a counter-offer to retain staff. This was part of the reason that he left Wisconsin.

Here, people outside the program see the success they are building and as usual, are coming in to poach coaches. The money is here to keep any coach that Bielema wants to keep, short of HC'ing opportunities.

No one knows absolutely for certain why Chaney and Shannon left. I doubt it had anything to do with money, but that is JMO. Thomas is a different deal. This is a chance to coach at the NFL level and that is a resume builder. But if Bielema wanted to retain Thomas and it was a matter of money only, I think the money is available to take care of that.
Go Hogs Go!

clutch

He's kept the coaches he absolutely wanted to keep. Pittman, Herb, Smith. I don't think he's that worried about turnover, that will happen. He just didn't want to no be able to afford to match offers for the coaches he considered crucial to his success like the ones listed above. If he can keep a Pittman type from going to Alabama I'm sure he's happy about his situation.

hawg IQ

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2015, 07:03:25 am
At his last stop, he had great success and he had coaches raided from his staff because of that success. That's what happens when people have an appreciation for what you are doing. He just didn't have money at his disposal to make enough of a counter-offer to retain staff. This was part of the reason that he left Wisconsin.

Here, people outside the program see the success they are building and as usual, are coming in to poach coaches. The money is here to keep any coach that Bielema wants to keep, short of HC'ing opportunities.

No one knows absolutely for certain why Chaney and Shannon left. I doubt it had anything to do with money, but that is JMO. Thomas is a different deal. This is a chance to coach at the NFL level and that is a resume builder. But if Bielema wanted to retain Thomas and it was a matter of money only, I think the money is available to take care of that.

Anybody think going from 3-9 to 7-6 in one year plays into all of this ? And that's not all, hogs was playing toe to toe with best teams in the country. It might be good coaching that brings that about ?
   I'll just say also, if the new coaches are Robb Smith like improvement coming in , Well look out SEC !
go hogs go !

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

tbhogfan

Go Hogs!

Hawgzinbowlz

CBB believes the coaching services/coaching service reporters are close to irrelevant. They don't like to be portrayed as unnecessary and meaningless.
Poor fellers.

" GO HOGS "

Quickdraw

You can't make people stay if they want to leave and you can't let people stay if they are not profitable.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sivad on February 09, 2015, 08:56:31 pm

When CBB hired one at Wisconsin he didn't last long....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 10, 2015, 08:02:14 am
As far as I have seen we got upgrades with each change.

I don't think Vernon is an upgrade over Randy Shannon.

But the truth is RS was not going to stay here much longer, so it's kind of irrelevant.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

longpig

The point made in the article is that the money's there now and Bielema's still losing staff, leaving readers to ponder whether it's the money or him. Could be retaliation for his previous remarks on recruiting ratings and could just be spinning a story.  Since he says more than he probably should at times, we can expect a lot more of the same with success, I'd say.
Don't be scared, be smart.

PennHOG

Quote from: secfan30 on February 09, 2015, 09:04:27 pm

Yep.  Broyles would bring coaching talent in to keep an edge and learn new schemes and technques.  I reacall hearing him talk about this in an interview. 

Contrast that with Nutt who wanted complete control over his staff and limited their ability to thrive.  His ego didn't deal well with people on his staff that were smarter than he was.  At least that's my opinion based on all I have read.

CBB can create an environment that, within coaching circles, would be a destination job that a talented coach would want to get to further his career.  At the same time CBB can benefit from bright, hungry coaches.  That's exactly the case with Rob Smith.  I'd love that to be the case with Enos as well.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

DCimport

Probably wouldn't be an issue if CBB would have just admitted he left Wisconsin because of several issues not just the assistance's pay.  (Admittance Standards, Micromanaging AD).  Still there is validity in the fact the Wisconsin was losing coaches because of increased pay at lateral positions.
Really Ash and Shannon are the only two who moved into lateral position and getting more money. Ash left for a program that has significantly better recruiting base which makes his job easier. Shannon left because he was destined to move back to one of the power 5 Florida schools.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 10, 2015, 09:45:35 am
I don't think Vernon is an upgrade over Randy Shannon.

But the truth is RS was not going to stay here much longer, so it's kind of irrelevant.
I hope your wrong, I am holding out hope! I am one of the few that believe RS is way over rated as a coach, i think that is why he left Miami in a dumpster fire. He rode the jersey tails of some of the best LB'ers in the country to get his rep.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 10, 2015, 07:03:15 am
its a shock to some after the last two coaching staffs (not including JLS) that we have assistants that are in demand.

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 10, 2015, 08:02:14 am
As far as I have seen we got upgrades with each change.

Nice points. If you are trading up, a little turnover never hurt, though no coach is going to bat 1000 in their hires. I would be more concerned about having staff that no one else wanted. Though stability is an important consideration in recruiting, I'm confident that in our program it will soon find it's own level.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

GolfnHog

Just like in the business world some turnover is for the good as it relates to the big picture. Retention for retention's sake never proved to be useful so if the turnover creates better coaching, team wins etc...then the turnover was "good" turnover.

CBB has proved with each replacement that he keeps everyone guessing and the hire is equal or better than the departing personnel. I can live with that.

Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 10, 2015, 10:37:47 am
I hope your wrong, I am holding out hope! I am one of the few that believe RS is way over rated as a coach, i think that is why he left Miami in a dumpster fire. He rode the jersey tails of some of the best LB'ers in the country to get his rep.

I hope Vernon is a wild success here as well.  And, like you, I'm not sure how good a LB coach RS is.

But I do know that I really liked how well our LB's played last year.  Just based on that Vernon has a hard act to follow IMO.

forrest city joe

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 10, 2015, 11:38:27 am
I hope Vernon is a wild success here as well.  And, like you, I'm not sure how good a LB coach RS is.

But I do know that I really liked how well our LB's played last year.  Just based on that Vernon has a hard act to follow IMO.
Very fair post. i like the hire, but time will tell. i do trust coach B on hiring coaches.