Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema on his Recruiting Philosophy

Started by WilsonHog, February 08, 2015, 02:56:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

"We can definitely get our hands on different players, guys that maybe the outside world thinks are at a different level, but when we watch them, they fit our demeanor," Bielema said. "We put them through a social media screening, they pass it; we put them through an academic screening, they pass it, and then we get involved with them.
________

For me this was it in a nutshell.  There is an order to his recruiting.  If they don't pass the social media part, he moves on.

After the kid passes the academic screening, they can then move to seriously giving consideration to digging deeper about him.

It's just a fast way to eliminate kids based on two determining factors that doesn't require watching film.  Smart because, on paper, there are simply too many players to sift through when time is limited.

phadedhawg

Good read. 

For the most part I agree that recruiting rankings are a joke but if you sign a top 10 class you were obviously successful.  I would like for Arkansas to be able to do that someday.  Folks will swear it doesn't matter but I think it would make a huge difference.

Hogfan1660

I love his philosophy! I hate drama and people who think that everything revolves around them.

thirrdegreetusker

February 09, 2015, 04:26:00 pm #53 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:17:34 am by thirrdegreetusker
Reminds me of an old Lou Holtz story. In Dec 1977, Holtz suspended three offensive players, including leading rusher Ben Cowins, for the Orange Bowl. In a true "shock the world" outcome, the Hogs DOMINATED #2 OU from start to finish, and won 31-6.

At a late-summer '78 meeting of the Benton County Razorback Club, Lou was asked about his reaction to rumors that Cowins would transfer. His reply brought the house down.  "If he don't wanna be a Razorback, piss on 'im!"

Sportster365

Let's be frank, only guys who aren't getting those hat choosers and balloon releasers say things like that.

Hogpkins

Quote from: Sportster365 on February 09, 2015, 04:29:35 pm
Let's be frank, only guys who aren't getting those hat choosers and balloon releasers say things like that.

That's just your opinion. It may be really hard for you to believe but, frankly, some coaches actually value the intangibles Coach B was alluding to. Not all 5-star talents need the extra spectacle.

Hoginsavga

I think many coaches would disagree with you. Look at the past Super Bowl and count the 5 stars out of college that played. There may have been one.  It goes back to team players and their attitude about the game and not themselves. I will always take an athlete with one less star that is about the team over the self centered athlete.

Pig In The City

Quote from: Theolesnort on February 08, 2015, 04:25:57 pm
But we still have our fans that swear by recruiting rankings. You don't believe me and that is fine but you have no reason to disbelieve Bielema and what he has to say about them.
Quote from: PorcineSublime on February 08, 2015, 04:34:05 pm
Doubt Nicky Satan has saved too many spots for signing day prima donnas either. Enough coaches take the hard line and these kids will stop the shenanigans. Gotta respect BB a bit more though because Nicky can afford to play hard ball a bit more easily. Losing a 4 star to him just means he will take the greyshirt off of one of his other 4 stars. We definitely have the right guy in charge.

I think he is the right guy and based on last year, I think his plan will work here.   Time will tell whether it works in the SEC West on a consistent basis, where most of the teams are beating us solidly in recruiting. 

I am a little hesitant to put head football coaches on pedestals. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: mizzouman on February 09, 2015, 12:22:27 pm
I'm not 100% sure I understand this.  So, is CBB saying that if he has 4 five stars signing NOI's to Arkansas on signing day and they want balloons and a cake, that CBB would not accept their NOI's?
Ahh.....nice to see our favorite "north troll" return from the frozen wastelands north of the Arkansas border.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 08, 2015, 05:49:18 pm
I like the part he said he isn't going to kiss the recruiting services butts so he can get a top recruiting class ranking. Pay attention star gazers!

You are so right.  Stars mean absolutely nothing.   In fact there is no correlation between them and sustained success and championships.   They.   Are.   A.   Waste.   Of.   Time.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You sound like an idiot... Coaches are recruiting players for four year cruises not one night stands. I'm certain this guy has put more than one or two recruits on notice...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Or, HC's who want guys who seem to more about "team" than "hey, look at me".
Go Hogs Go!

jkstock04

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 09, 2015, 03:48:37 pm
"We can definitely get our hands on different players, guys that maybe the outside world thinks are at a different level, but when we watch them, they fit our demeanor," Bielema said. "We put them through a social media screening, they pass it; we put them through an academic screening, they pass it, and then we get involved with them.
________

Coming back to this, reading his quote again...especially this part...it's tough for me not to be a bit skeptical despite how it all sounds. Thinking about it, for Arkansas...this was an exceptional in state crop of kids for the 2015 class as far as talent and the amount. Not sure the exact # of legit offers there were in state, but there were easily much more than normal.

Just like any other coach we have ever had would've done, every one of these guys had legit offers to come here, obviously because they are in your own backyard and the easiest pickens....tough for me to believe that every one of them passed all these extra criteria...and while I would like to believe when KJ Hill "decommited" we went ahead and pulled his offer due his shenanigans, and whatever else was involved there...many people (Mike Irwin included) claim he had a legit scholarship offer right up til the second he signed with Ohio St. on natl signing day. Sorry, but all that doesn't sound too uncommon to me.

I think this whole thing may be a little bit of coach speak and a way to defend the guys he got vs the ones he may not have...which is fine I guess. I personally don't see the need to defend this class because seems to me it was above average for what we usually sign. But, I see some holes in some of these comments.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 09, 2015, 03:48:37 pm

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2015, 07:51:13 am

Just like any other coach we have ever had would've done, every one of these guys had legit offers to come here, obviously because they are in your own backyard and the easiest pickens....tough for me to believe that every one of them passed all these extra criteria...and while I would like to believe when KJ Hill "decommited" we went ahead and pulled his offer due his shenanigans, and whatever else was involved there...many people (Mike Irwin included) claim he had a legit scholarship offer right up til the second he signed with Ohio St. on natl signing day. Sorry, but all that doesn't sound too uncommon to me.

I think this whole thing may be a little bit of coach speak and a way to defend the guys he got vs the ones he may not have...which is fine I guess. I personally don't see the need to defend this class because seems to me it was above average for what we usually sign. But, I see some holes in some of these comments.

I don't think that he is defending anything. I think he is just laying out the general approach that they take to recruiting. Could there be great athletes that we offer that are on the borderline of where they have set their parameters for recruits? Sure. Do some manage to disqualify themselves in the midst of the recruiting process? I'm sure that there are some that do that we are not aware of on here.

KJ was being visited by coaches right up to just days before signing day, so one would have to assume that his offer was not pulled. You don't go visit a kid if you have pulled his offer. How did he score on their qualification? I have no idea but apparently well enough to be offered.

And our approach to recruiting will probably not be uncommon as football moves forward with 4 year scholarships as opposed to 1 year scholarships. Those scholarships just became a bit more valuable and I think coaching staffs as a whole are going to ramp up the vetting of recruits to a greater degree in the future.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 09, 2015, 11:15:54 pm
Ahh.....nice to see our favorite "north troll" return from the frozen wastelands north of the Arkansas border.
I don't live north of Arkansas.

DeltaBoy

Coach likes those Farm raised Blue Collar boys.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Only thing I can say in response to that tripe is you need to read your avatar 'cause I have a strong hunch that's how most on here feel about your opinions.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: mizzouman on February 10, 2015, 08:51:04 am
I don't live north of Arkansas.
Well that's the territory of the school you obviously support so in that sense you do.   

Sportster365

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2015, 11:31:45 am
Only thing I can say in response to that tripe is you need to read your avatar 'cause I have a strong hunch that's how most on here feel about your opinions.

Generally I don't respond to "tripe" like this, but who asked you? And that's a rhetorical question, so please don't feel the need to respond.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Sportster365 on February 10, 2015, 04:37:35 pm
Generally I don't respond to "tripe" like this, but who asked you? And that's a rhetorical question, so please don't feel the need to respond.
Well once I suggest don't have an avatar that I'm sure expresses the attitude of many on here 'cause it's total baloney.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Sportster365

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 04:31:54 pm
Well, we were 5th in this recruiting ranking:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2015/2/5/7985755/the-best-recruiting-classes-in-college-football-ranked

Most top programs would have publicly beaten a baby seal to have gotten Hjalte Froholdt. Let em laugh.
(That really was a fun article I must say)
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2015, 07:51:13 am
Coming back to this, reading his quote again...especially this part...it's tough for me not to be a bit skeptical despite how it all sounds. Thinking about it, for Arkansas...this was an exceptional in state crop of kids for the 2015 class as far as talent and the amount. Not sure the exact # of legit offers there were in state, but there were easily much more than normal.

But there's nothing wrong with KJ by the standards CBB laid out. We all know who the problem was. It would be unfair to yank his offer because certain members of his family are prima donnas. As far as I can tell, the kid did everything right. We're just a little hurt he chose OSU over :razorback:, but that's his call.

After all, there's a current Hog who has proven that family drama does not equal player drama.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Sportster365 on February 11, 2015, 12:01:39 pm
the man-love in here is suffocating.

spoken like one that has experienced suffocating man-love?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

bigdaddyhawg

I can hear a clock counting down in the distance ...
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

usf15cc

This is a progressive forum.

Plus i really like and admire the man for sticking to his word and not changing to what the other coaches are doing in college football.

thirrdegreetusker

Let's be frank, only guys who aren't getting those hat choosers and balloon releasers say things like that while they watch their former players perform in the Super Bowl.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogpkins on February 09, 2015, 01:21:36 pm

He of course didn't single anyone out, but I had my own thoughts about who he might be talking about. Tennessee and Ole Miss popped into my mind. Anyone else care to speculate?

Allbarn should be added to the group.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 12, 2015, 10:19:39 am
Let's be frank, only guys who aren't getting those hat choosers and balloon releasers say things like that while they watch their former players perform in the Super Bowl.

Let's be frank, only guys who aren't getting those hat choosers and balloon releasers say things like that while they count up the 32 players they have on the SEC academic honor roll.

Inhogswetrust

I'm thinking more like TEAM love is invigorating..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 11, 2015, 12:52:17 pm
But there's nothing wrong with KJ by the standards CBB laid out. We all know who the problem was. It would be unfair to yank his offer because certain members of his family are prima donnas. As far as I can tell, the kid did everything right. We're just a little hurt he chose OSU over :razorback:, but that's his call.

After all, there's a current Hog who has proven that family drama does not equal player drama.
Making a big spectacle of his commitment to the Hogs only to later decommit? That's exactly the kind of BS Bielema is alluding to here. The only part of it that doesn't make sense to me is how KJ still had an offer to the last tick....but of course he left himself the out "not to say that's always the case."

I'm not hurt that he chose Ohio St. Take an objective look at the situation and its obvious why he chose Ohio State. The only people who don't get it are people who live within the borders of Arkansas.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

nchogg

Quote from: mizzouman on February 09, 2015, 12:54:37 pm
Seriously, I don't understand.  He said that he 'probably' doesn't have time for kids who pick hats, release balloons and want a cake on national signing day.  So, if a 5 star kid wanted that (by the way, it's not always the kid who wants this), CBB 'probably' doesn't have time for that kid?  What does that mean?  Does that mean he 'probably' won't accept his NOI?  I guess what I really don't understand is why he even has to say this.
You may not of fully understood coaches meaning. I understood caach as saying he wants a player firmly commited before NSD. That does not mean the player won't do the hats but the player has a firm commitment to coach. I could be wrong.

luke hawg

At this point in state kids get a longer leash b/c of the negative perception associated with losing them. Once bielema's system is fully in place and the results on the field are apparent, kids like KMFJ will be passed on. Because we will be able to say, "We have already won an SEC championship without you." You should fill blessed that we are even offering. I honestly see the same traits in 4 and 5 star recruits that I see in hot women. If they feel there dating down for a second, you are in for a miserable experience. It's better to work on lesser talent until you have the pedigree to keep them under your thumb. It really just speaks to human nature.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Vildsvin

Agreed .. it's not a teenage girl's sweet 16.. it's signing day.

Act like a man!