Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema on his Recruiting Philosophy

Started by WilsonHog, February 08, 2015, 02:56:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"I want guys that leave campus and know this is what they want to be a part of. I want guys that maybe come back two or three times and say, 'This is where I'm going.' If they have to pick a hat, release the balloons and cut the cake on Signing Day, I probably don't have time for them. Not to say that's always the case, but it's the direction I've leaned during my head coaching career."

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Well-never-be-one-of-those-teams

I like this guy.

Pudgepork

Agree.   I'm not saying it will never happen, but I don't see this coach getting played by prima donnas.   Get on da bus or see ya.  NEXT!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

gmarv

gawntrail

I really like his 'cut through the cr@p' style.

Theolesnort

But we still have our fans that swear by recruiting rankings. You don't believe me and that is fine but you have no reason to disbelieve Bielema and what he has to say about them.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hoggish1

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 08, 2015, 02:56:11 pm
"I want guys that leave campus and know this is what they want to be a part of. I want guys that maybe come back two or three times and say, 'This is where I'm going.' If they have to pick a hat, release the balloons and cut the cake on Signing Day, I probably don't have time for them. Not to say that's always the case, but it's the direction I've leaned during my head coaching career."

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Well-never-be-one-of-those-teams

I like this guy.

Thanks for this! He has a plan, believes in it and is following it.  He will get us where we want to go.  I love what he's doing!

PorcineSublime

Doubt Nicky Satan has saved too many spots for signing day prima donnas either. Enough coaches take the hard line and these kids will stop the shenanigans. Gotta respect BB a bit more though because Nicky can afford to play hard ball a bit more easily. Losing a 4 star to him just means he will take the greyshirt off of one of his other 4 stars. We definitely have the right guy in charge.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

grayhawg

I like this guy.
I like this guy and his philosophy as well.

WPS!!!!!

bigdaddyhawg

I'm not sure his focus in that discussion is about avoiding the prima donas.  Yes, perhaps some of it is about that.

But I think he's talking about the culture he wants to build here, about the "family" feeling he wants on his team.

He's saying if they spend time with us, then they should have a clear idea if they want to be a part of what we're about.  If they aren't sure then they may not be a good fit here anyway, so he doesn't worry about it.

Many coaches talk about "family", and about recruiting high character kids.  But those aren't just PR buzzwords for CBB.  He means it to his core.

IMO we've got one of the most honest, open, and transparent coaches running our program.  And I like and appreciate that very much.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PorcineSublime

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 08, 2015, 04:43:05 pm
I'm not sure his focus in that discussion is about avoiding the prima donas.  Yes, perhaps some of it is about that.

But I think he's talking about the culture he wants to build here, about the "family" feeling he wants on his team.

He's saying if they spend time with us, then they should have a clear idea if they want to be a part of what we're about.  If they aren't sure then they may not be a good fit here anyway, so he doesn't worry about it.

Many coaches talk about "family", and about recruiting high character kids.  But those aren't just PR buzzwords for CBB.  He means it to his core.

IMO we've got one of the most honest, open, and transparent coaches running our program.  And I like and appreciate that very much.
Good take.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Hogfaniam

Pass the the word to seventh grade footballers on up.  Watch what you post on social media, if you have a dream to play for the Hogs.  CBB could still be a Hog 4 years from now.  It's the first thing he mentioned looking at before putting someone on the big board.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 08, 2015, 04:52:50 pm
Pass the the word to seventh grade footballers on up.  Watch what you post on social media, if you have a dream to play for the Hogs.  CBB could still be a Hog 4 years from now.  It's the first thing he mentioned looking at before putting someone on the big board.

Oh, I imagine he has some well earned tolerance for stupid things said on social media.  . . .
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hawginbigd1

I like the part he said he isn't going to kiss the recruiting services butts so he can get a top recruiting class ranking. Pay attention star gazers!

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jackflash

I agree with coach BB. I think the HOGS would get burned waiting around on NSD for a kid to choose are hat.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 08, 2015, 05:49:18 pm
I like the part he said he isn't going to kiss the recruiting services butts so he can get a top recruiting class ranking. Pay attention star gazers!

We are. No coach pays attention to recruiting rankings and no coach should. Being rated highly does not make a better player than anyone else. Being a better player gets you a higher ranking. If you pooled together every coaches recruiting board, I bet it would be very, very close to the recruiting boards. By pooling every coaches rankings, you average out things like one coach ranking a player high due to his team's positional needs or not evaluating certain players due to distance etc... Of course any single coach's recruiting board will differ due to positional needs, team fit, etc...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawgzinbowlz

By building relationships, over several years, CBB/Staff will know the great majority of the recruits destinations early. NSD hat tricks may occur, although infrequently.
Straight shootin', no nonsense, focused...and he knows wth he's doin'.
A Hog farmer at heart.

" GO HOGS "

hoghiker

I like BB. I love the Hogs. Some day we may win a conference championship with the level of recruits we're getting. I do think we have upgraded, some. It's feasible in mind. Good coaching matters at every level. None more than college but if we win a conference with 3-4 stars, we will be bucking the odds. The facts on STAR count and achievement seem pretty convincing to me. So be it. I will live and die with my Hogs every Saturday every fall. WPS!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 08, 2015, 11:29:14 pm
We are. No coach pays attention to recruiting rankings and no coach should. Being rated highly does not make a better player than anyone else. Being a better player gets you a higher ranking. If you pooled together every coaches recruiting board, I bet it would be very, very close to the recruiting boards. By pooling every coaches rankings, you average out things like one coach ranking a player high due to his team's positional needs or not evaluating certain players due to distance etc... Of course any single coach's recruiting board will differ due to positional needs, team fit, etc...
I disagree.  Some coaches do buddy up to recruiting services.  It can give them a little momentum with the drama mama recruits

hawg IQ

“I want guys that leave campus and know this is what they want to be a part of. I want guys that maybe come back two or three times and say, ‘This is where I’m going.’ If they have to pick a hat, release the balloons and cut the cake on Signing Day, I probably don’t have time for them. Not to say that’s always the case, but it’s the direction I’ve leaned during my head coaching career.”

I like this guy.
I agree with Coach Bielema on this. I hope we never have another DGB recruiting moment ever.  And DGB is a good example of those kind too ! 

They are so full of themselves.  Those kind usually get their just due in the end, just as he did.
  I do think Hill was somewhat of a victim however. Him being at Ohio State is probably for the best. I doubt he will ever be much of a star there, but hope he does well in life.
go hogs go !

popcornhog

"We can definitely get our hands on different players, guys that maybe the outside world thinks are at a different level, but when we watch them, they fit our demeanor," Bielema said. "We put them through a social media screening, they pass it; we put them through an academic screening, they pass it, and then we get involved with them. That maybe wasn't the case up there. That part, I'm always trying to balance out. As we have more success, the last thing you want to do is deviate from the plan that got you where you wanted to be. We'll never be one of those teams that has seven guys that are going to pick a hat on Wednesday. That's just not my deal.

Arkansas' pickup on this year's Signing Day did include a press conference, but Bielema's teams don't add several players on that day.
WPS

OLDHOG

OLDHOG

This is who our coach is. Be proud, I am. SOOIE PIG!

mhuff

tusksincolorado

“I want guys that leave campus and know this is what they want to be a part of. I want guys that maybe come back two or three times and say, ‘This is where I’m going.’ If they have to pick a hat, release the balloons and cut the cake on Signing Day, I probably don’t have time for them. Not to say that’s always the case, but it’s the direction I’ve leaned during my head coaching career.”

I like this guy.

So do I....GO HAWGS!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jkstock04

February 09, 2015, 12:10:29 pm #29 Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:29:17 pm by jkstock04
I have zero doubt this is how all coaches feel in general. Of course they want these guys to sign early minus the ballons and ribbons. Why wouldn't they? That gives them security knowing they aren't held hostage on signing day wondering who is going to sign with them and who isn't...sort of common sense.

Make no mistake though, if Bielema feels strongly one of his top prospects will sign on signing day he will wait around and find out. We would've took Weathersby on signing day in a heartbeat and everyone knows it....hence the comment "not to say that's always the case."

Houston Nutt used to say he only wanted kids who wanted to be Hogs. That sounds great in theory, but in the end recruiting is convincing these kids to come here regardless of that. Our coaches contact these kids, and try and convince them to come here, not the other way around.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Vantage 8 dude

I like this guy.
Props to CBB for sticking with his beliefs and philosophy. While many HCs may not necessarily agree with his approach, at least Bret has formulated a firm outlook and standard of what he will and won't accept in a potential recruit and is willing to apparently stick with it no matter what. I can always respect a person who knows who he is and what he's looking for, even if I don't necessarily agree or understand that person's viewpoint (which I happen to in this case). At least CBB isn't all over the place by bowing down to and tolerating the antics/attitudes of so many of the "hot shots" (and families?) who often inhabit the top of the recruiting rankings. His "you don't need to be with us if you have to choose among a group of hats on NSD" means that you "buy in" from day one or we don't need/want you. That's something as a fan I can totally respect!!

mizzouman

I like this guy.
I'm not 100% sure I understand this.  So, is CBB saying that if he has 4 five stars signing NOI's to Arkansas on signing day and they want balloons and a cake, that CBB would not accept their NOI's?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on February 09, 2015, 12:22:27 pm
I'm not 100% sure I understand this.  So, is CBB saying that if he has 4 five stars signing NOI's to Arkansas on signing day and they want balloons and a cake, that CBB would not accept their NOI's?

"Not to say that's always the case"  You just 100% can't understand this?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: popcornhog on February 09, 2015, 11:29:59 am
D'oh!

At least you didn't want to be someones seat at the basketball game on saturday!  haha

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2015, 12:25:54 pm
"Not to say that's always the case"  You just 100% can't understand this?
Seriously, I don't understand.  He said that he 'probably' doesn't have time for kids who pick hats, release balloons and want a cake on national signing day.  So, if a 5 star kid wanted that (by the way, it's not always the kid who wants this), CBB 'probably' doesn't have time for that kid?  What does that mean?  Does that mean he 'probably' won't accept his NOI?  I guess what I really don't understand is why he even has to say this.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorcineSublime on February 08, 2015, 04:34:05 pm
Doubt Nicky Satan has saved too many spots for signing day prima donnas either. Enough coaches take the hard line and these kids will stop the shenanigans. Gotta respect BB a bit more though because Nicky can afford to play hard ball a bit more easily. Losing a 4 star to him just means he will take the greyshirt off of one of his other 4 stars. We definitely have the right guy in charge.
the coaches should already know what the kids are going to choose before said ceremonies.  that kind of thing is more for show.  I doubt any kid is really making the decision at that very moment.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on February 09, 2015, 12:54:37 pm
Seriously, I don't understand.  He said that he 'probably' doesn't have time for kids who pick hats, release balloons and want a cake on national signing day.  So, if a 5 star kid wanted that (by the way, it's not always the kid who wants this), CBB 'probably' doesn't have time for that kid?  What does that mean?  Does that mean he 'probably' won't accept his NOI?  I guess what I really don't understand is why he even has to say this.

He'll accept it.  That is why he made it clear this opinion wasn't absolute. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkSoda

he is saying that if they haven't made up thier mind by signing day, he will have already made up his mind on who is taking the slots.  we dont exactly have 5 star recruits beating down our door, so your scenario is a bit far fetched.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2015, 01:06:48 pm
He'll accept it.  That is why he made it clear this opinion wasn't absolute.
Got that, but just curious on why it needed to be said.  Was there an issue with a recruit or something? 

Thanks.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on February 09, 2015, 01:09:06 pm
Got that, but just curious on why it needed to be said.  Was there an issue with a recruit or something? 

Thanks.

No issue. 

Because it is his mentality which is understandable when recruiting to Arkansas or Wisconsin.  It didn't have to be said.  But he isn't one to just answer with coachspeak which is refreshing.  Why are you curious? 

Hogpkins

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 08, 2015, 11:29:14 pm

I listened to the interview and my interpretation was he was saying, some coaches do pay attention to recruiting rankings and shmooze the recruiting services, but CBB doesn't.

He of course didn't single anyone out, but I had my own thoughts about who he might be talking about. Tennessee and Ole Miss popped into my mind. Anyone else care to speculate?

Keyser Sooieze

You can dissect every word in a guy's written transcript of a spoken interview, or you can hear the gist of what he's saying. He's a football coach 1st, politician second.   

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2015, 01:17:59 pm
No issue. 

Because it is his mentality which is understandable when recruiting to Arkansas or Wisconsin.  It didn't have to be said.  But he isn't one to just answer with coachspeak which is refreshing.  Why are you curious?
Just curious.  No big deal.  Just wasn't sure if there was an issue or something. 

Again, I like CBB.  Liked him from the beginning.  Not sure about the extension and raise just yet, maybe next year, but I think he'll do very well.

Hoginsavga

Thank you CBB. I have always said the UA and all other universities should not be held hostage simply to allow showboating on NSD by a single 17 or 18 year old. I respect their talent but,in turn, they should show respect to the coaches and schools recruiting them. I would kindly explain to a recruit that he will not be a Razorback if he sits at a table and picks up a cap first of another school before placing it back on the table then selecting the Razorback cap. I want all Razorbacks to show the coaches and fans there is never a doubt in their mind which school they belong to. I know I am old fashioned but that is a part of me I can't change.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 08, 2015, 04:43:05 pm

+1, spot on.  our head hog is steering this program in the right direction.  love what he's building here and the way he's going about it. 

:razorback: :razorback:

DeltaBoy

Great Post and I really liking Coach Bielema more all the time.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

I believe what's he trying to convey is that he's prefer NOT to have guys with all the NSD drama. IMO way too much of the "stop all the presses, let the world stop for my press conference/hat selection (drums rolling) routine". Would he accept the commit of a 5*? Duh, gee.....what do you think? However, what he doesn't really have time for are all the cutesy "fun and games" that often accompanies such 11th hour pressers.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogpkins on February 09, 2015, 01:21:36 pm
I listened to the interview and my interpretation was he was saying, some coaches do pay attention to recruiting rankings and shmooze the recruiting services, but CBB doesn't.

He of course didn't single anyone out, but I had my own thoughts about who he might be talking about. Tennessee and Ole Miss popped into my mind. Anyone else care to speculate?
Trust me: Butch Jones is at least 75% about the recruiting rankings. Hugh Freeze...don't even really care enough to speculate.

jkstock04

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 09, 2015, 03:27:50 pm
I believe what's he trying to convey is that he's prefer NOT to have guys with all the NSD drama. IMO way too much of the "stop all the presses, let the world stop for my press conference/hat selection (drums rolling) routine". Would he accept the commit of a 5*? Duh, gee.....what do you think? However, what he doesn't really have time for are all the cutesy "fun and games" that often accompanies such 11th hour pressers.
In light of his comments it really makes me wonder whether or not KJ Hill still had an offer on the table come signing day. I would like to think not.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hoggish1

He clarified it later in the article...