Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alcohol sales net UA $26,126

Started by ricepig, February 07, 2015, 11:23:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Looks like it made a little money and made some patrons happier.  The two largest games in turns of sales were the LSU and OM games, both in the $53,000 range. The UAB game was the worse at $23,000. The UA had expenses of $68,000 of which 25% was considered one time expenses.

hobhog

Bet it doubles next year. I went to indoor club for Ole Miss game and it was a blast. Am considering upgrading to outdoor club just to get access.....

Hawgndaaz

Provide some weekend jobs, make a little chunk of change, and provide a nice service on gameday.

Blows my mind that some folks were actually against this.

PEtrader

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 07, 2015, 11:54:01 am
Provide some weekend jobs, make a little chunk of change, and provide a nice service on gameday.

i never got it.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Sivad

True.

Swineasaur

younghog

YEP..

also said they expected the upfront hit on % given to the company selling the Alcohol. So YES I expect big increase next year.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Pork Twain

Quote from: Swineasaur on February 07, 2015, 02:57:58 pm
Let me drink in the stands!
Not saying you, but the last thing we need are the stands full drunk hillbillies, but it seems to work with NASCAR, MLB, and the NFL.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

beantownhog

Why?  The liquid that feeds the flames of eternal damnation will result in nothing short of plague and perdition.  Yea verily I say unto thee: though the coffers of the heathen runneth over, their future is bleak!  BLEAK I tell you!  BLEAK!
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2015, 03:07:40 pm
Not saying you, but the last thing we need are the stands full drunk hillbillies, but it seems to work with NASCAR, MLB, and the NFL.

I doubt the drinking starts IN the stadium.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hawkhawg

And at War Memorial.

PEtrader

Maybe people wouldn't fill the need to get blacked out before the game if they could drink during the game.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

ricepig

Quote from: PEtrader on February 07, 2015, 05:16:23 pm
Maybe people wouldn't fill the need to get blacked out before the game if they could drink during the game.

You can, you just have to be in the Indoor Club or in a suite. The SEC will have to change their rules, or we'll have to put on a dome and make it all a club.......

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: beantownhog on February 07, 2015, 03:15:39 pm

Why?  The liquid that feeds the flames of eternal damnation will result in nothing short of plague and perdition.  Yea verily I say unto thee: though the coffers of the heathen runneth over, their future is bleak!  BLEAK I tell you!  BLEAK!

Y'all should really listen to the Whiskey Speech. It's a speech given by a Mississippi legislator named Soggy Sweat in the 1950s that, let's say, comes down on both sides of the alcohol issue. Starts at the 3:20 mark here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPzUcJcgXUA

TennesseeRaz

Mind be blown, then.  I think it's stupid; I've had more game experiences ruined by drunks than anything else.  Additionally, I'm stunned that the take was only $26K; with all the money the UA athletics takes in that's not even chump change.  To put up with increased liability (think one lost law suit) for that amount of money (totally ignoring that a life may be lost to a drunk driver), just doesn't make any financial sense.

ricepig

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 07, 2015, 06:41:27 pm
Mind be blown, then.  I think it's stupid; I've had more game experiences ruined by drunks than anything else.  Additionally, I'm stunned that the take was only $26K; with all the money the UA athletics takes in that's not even chump change.  To put up with increased liability (think one lost law suit) for that amount of money (totally ignoring that a life may be lost to a drunk driver), just doesn't make any financial sense.

The net was $26,126, the gross was lots more, in the $300,000's.

Hawgndaaz

26k net PLUS the amount of club seats sold/occupied that would not have been otherwise.

sorry people like booze.

PEtrader

Where you the 60 year old lady that punched me for standing up and cheering?

That's crazy though,  my game experiences being ruined is skewed far right by us losing vs drunks.

tusksincolorado

I LOVE drinking $8 beers and getting cut-off in the 7th inning at MLB games!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 06:53:35 pm
Can you explain to me why "gross" is relevant?  Seriously, if they spent $300,000 on product and labor, and ended up with $26,126 at the end, then it sounds like "govt math" to be celebrating gross when you only marginally made a profit.

To the next poster who says those seats wouldn't have been sold without alcohol available, you MIGHT be right.  I don't think either one of us know the answer to that.  I think the better product you put on the field the more butts you put in the seats -- maybe that's just me.  At some place like Vandy, maybe you do have to get people drunk in order to get them to go watch the game.....

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Swineasaur on February 07, 2015, 02:57:58 pm
Let me drink in the stands!

When I was on the hill in the 70's, folks did drink in the stands.....excessively....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: PEtrader on February 07, 2015, 07:02:36 pm
Where you the 60 year old lady that punched me for standing up and cheering?

That's crazy though,  my game experiences being ruined is skewed far right by us losing vs drunks.

Were you the drunk guy wanting to fight my wife?

tusksincolorado

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 07, 2015, 07:05:41 pm

If a 60 year old lady punched me for cheering and yelling for the Hogs...I WOULD whup her husband's butt!

GatorHog

If you're totally wasted at an NCAA game, is that public intox? (public school)

ricepig

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 07, 2015, 07:04:35 pm
Can you explain to me why "gross" is relevant?  Seriously, if they spent $300,000 on product and labor, and ended up with $26,126 at the end, then it sounds like "govt math" to be celebrating gross when you only marginally made a profit.

To the next poster who says those seats wouldn't have been sold without alcohol available, you MIGHT be right.  I don't think either one of us know the answer to that.  I think the better product you put on the field the more butts you put in the seats -- maybe that's just me.  At some place like Vandy, maybe you do have to get people drunk in order to get them to go watch the game.....

Well, I bet their lawyers and marketing people know a little more about this, than you do, so I feel save to say it will continue. If you wish not to sit in there, fine, no one is forcing you to. Oh, and the more wins that will put more butts in the seats will equate to more alcohol sales, win-win.

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 07, 2015, 07:18:19 pm
If a 60 year old lady punched me for cheering and yelling for the Hogs...I WOULD whup her husband's butt!
ROFL!!!

GatorHog

How much is the alcohol and what kinds do they have?  Can you get something that doesn't taste like horse? 

ricepig

Quote from: GatorHog on February 07, 2015, 07:23:58 pm
How much is the alcohol and what kinds do they have?  Can you get something that doesn't taste like horse? 

Beer/wine

tusksincolorado

Quote from: GatorHog on February 07, 2015, 07:21:16 pm

Only if you attempt to get in the cage with TUSK during half time.

Or attempt to flirt with Jen after the game!

GatorHog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 07, 2015, 07:26:39 pm
Only if you attempt to get in the cage with TUSK during half time.

Or attempt to flirt with Jen after the game!

Shiiiieeeeesh, have you seen Deadwood??

PEtrader

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 07, 2015, 07:05:41 pm

Haha, no,  I was actually sober when that happened.

PEtrader

Pretty sure you can.  They tried to pop my youngest brother when he threw up in a trash can.  Luckily I was sober and they released him to me after they threw us out.

tasteslikechicken

You darn right. They slap the plastic zip tie handcuffs on you and throw you into the windowless van for a one way trip down to the Washington County jail. Saw one of the wifes former students get hauled off once, kicking and screaming, as we were heading into DWRRS.

Hog Fan...DOH!

The beer drinking is very low key.  You can't bring a beer with you out to your seat (outdoor club), so you're pretty much limited to a beer before the game and one at halftime.  And I like that.  The alcohol sales improve the overall stadium experience, or at least the club seat experience, but it's just not a big deal. 

buldozer

I've had more game experiences ruined by drunks than anything else. 
^^^Everyone has experienced this at one time or another^^^

popcornhog

In order to multiply the alcohol dollars with a "baby step," simply allow fans to take their beverages back to their seats in out door club. I suspect sales would double or triple with that small step.

Then, once we see that the sky didn't fall, work with the SEC and University and whatever other relevant parties there are to extend alcohol sales throughout the stadium. The dollars will increase rapidly at that point.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: GatorHog on February 07, 2015, 07:23:58 pm

Beer: Coors, Bud, Miller at most stands. Pretty limited. I think they had like Blue Moon or something similar in some stands last year, too. It depends whether you're at General concessuons or a beer stand. They also had some variety of generic red and white wine.

There have been rumors about adding an Arkansas beer next year: Diamond Bear, Blue Canoe, the like.
WPS

ricepig

Quote from: popcornhog on February 08, 2015, 11:25:08 am
Beer: Coors, Bud, Miller at most stands. Pretty limited. I think they had like Blue Moon or something similar in some stands last year, too. It depends whether you're at General concessuons or a beer stand. They also had some variety of generic red and white wine.

There have been rumors about adding an Arkansas beer next year: Diamond Bear, Blue Canoe, the like.

I think they had Michelob Ultra, maybe a few others. I don't expect a wide array of craft beers, it isn't a bar.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 11:23:12 am
Looks like it made a little money and made some patrons happier.  The two largest games in turns of sales were the LSU and OM games, both in the $53,000 range. The UAB game was the worse at $23,000. The UA had expenses of $68,000 of which 25% was considered one time expenses.

My wonder is if those figures include some lost sales of soft drinks that they may have sold. I doubt it since there is no way of knowing how many soft drinks relative to alcoholic drinks would have been sold. Also I have to question what the profit margins are for each type.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2015, 12:31:42 pm
My wonder is if those figures include some lost sales of soft drinks that they may have sold. I doubt it since there is no way of knowing how many soft drinks relative to alcoholic drinks would have been sold. Also I have to question what the profit margins are for each type.

I guess you can ask them, I doubt they will tell you.

popcornhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 11:56:59 am
I think they had Michelob Ultra, maybe a few others. I don't expect a wide array of craft beers, it isn't a bar.

I wouldn't expect a variety, but I do think it would be cool to have one Arkansas beer. I believe that they serve Abita at LSU games.

I think you may be right re: Michelob. Either way, the choices were generic. And I get that.
WPS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 12:43:00 pm
I guess you can ask them, I doubt they will tell you.

I know one of the guys that got it up and running.  I was planning to do that very thing but got sidetracked. Next time I see him I will. I do know they had some up front costs that they won't have every year. Just not sure how much it was.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2015, 09:26:23 pm
I know one of the guys that got it up and running.  I was planning to do that very thing but got sidetracked. Next time I see him I will. I do know they had some up front costs that they won't have every year. Just not sure how much it was.

Trainor is quoted in the article as saying roughly 25% of their expenses were one time charges.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2015, 07:11:32 am
Trainor is quoted in the article as saying roughly 25% of their expenses were one time charges.

Do we know if the 25% is pulled from expenses or gross?  I'm having a hard time believe info they made less than 10%

DeltaBoy

Is that all the made ???? They need to open it up to whole stadium.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 06:53:35 pm
I find it hard to beleive we're not making at least 10%. $26k is weak.

Edit: rubi took the words right outta my mouth.

HogFanJWill26

I am not sure it was ever about making big $$, the 26k comes out to about $3 per club seat for the year.  It is more of a benefit and/or selling point for club ticket holders.  We have had south indoor seats since the addition, but I do have several family and friends that made the move to the club this year because of the sales.

ricepig

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 09, 2015, 08:56:08 am
I find it hard to beleive we're not making at least 10%. $26k is weak.

Edit: rubi took the words right outta my mouth.

I don't have the article anymore, recycle day haha, but it was in the ADG on Sat, I think. There were gross sales of $235,000+, the UofA gets 40% of gross sales, Sodhexo??, got the rest.

http://www.thv11.com/story/money/business/arkansas/2015/02/09/arkansas-business-alcohol-sales-totals-in-new-solar-field-announced/23108671/

BorderPatrol

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 07, 2015, 07:04:35 pm

I am guessing, just by reading your brilliant posts in this thread, that you have no idea what "Gross" means or know much of anything about "celebrating".

bp