Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joel thomas to the saints per twitter

Started by bcdrules, February 07, 2015, 10:33:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

TX HOG

When ur coaches take vertice jobs, you've got good coaches.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 07, 2015, 12:00:12 pm
BB came here so he could keep assistants right?

He came here to have the ability to keep the assistants he wants to keep. I dont think Thomas is a priority

colbs

Keep from taking lateral moves.  Most have left for promotions or encouraged to leave.  At Wisconsin he wasn't giving the money to try and retain them.

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 07, 2015, 12:10:44 pm #54 Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:24:25 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: longpig on February 07, 2015, 12:04:27 pm
Larry Porter sure does bounce around a lot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Porter

He has also had some NCAA rumors when at OK State. But, I don't care. He can recruit and Coach.

ArKan5a5 KiD

bulldog04

CBB did say he would love to have Kiero Small as his RB coach one day.

Smokehouse

Quote from: MojoHog on February 07, 2015, 10:43:13 am
When I looked to see if they actually had an opening on their staff I found no article or any sign that their current RB coach was fired. I don't keep up with the saints staff so if someone here does let me know. If he was fired then when we was let go it was so quiet that no articles were produced or no one cared enough to put in the work to produce one. And I don't see anything on my tweeter.

Before the Thomas news broke they had four unfilled openings on the staff. None of them were the RB coach but they could easily shuffle some coaches around or have made further changes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/13255/saints-assistant-wr-coach-carter-sheridan-leaves-for-tulane
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Chief Mac

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 12:03:39 pm
I always think the same thing...

The Ironic part is that online Arkansas fans say over and over that they trust CBB to make an incredible hire "Just look at Smith"... yet they fail to look at the fact that 4 of the original hires didn't work out for some reason.

If we have exodus next year to equivalent positions ,as well, it will be interesting.

And shortsighted fans like yourself cannot understand that, perhaps, Bielema had a perception of what he thought he could accomplish with his original staff that changed after season one and two in the toughest football conference.  Reality is a biotch and drives change.   What would you have the man do, stick with assistants that might not work as well in the SEC working for him?  we railed against Nutt for doing just that.

Some can't see the forest for the trees because they refuse to so they can continue down their path
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

AugustaHog

There's the possibility of flexibility here.  Both Smith and Enos have coached RBs before.  I truly believe Enos will stick at QB coach, but if we found a stud QB or WR coach we could make it work.

Oklahawg

I am pleased with CBB's track record of hiring coaches. At Wisky, too.

Not all work out, or mesh with the others. No need for me to freak out speculating, either, as it'll be a quiet search.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 07, 2015, 12:19:40 pm
And shortsighted fans like yourself cannot understand that, perhaps, Bielema had a perception of what he thought he could accomplish with his original staff that changed after season one and two in the toughest football conference.  Reality is a biotch and drives change.   What would you have the man do, stick with assistants that might not work as well in the SEC working for him?  we railed against Nutt for doing just that.

Some can't see the forest for the trees because they refuse to so they can continue down their path

Wow... a little high strung?

I stated facts and logic. Not negativity.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 07, 2015, 11:22:57 am
LOL at so many on here being absorbed by the "ace recruiter" hype. 

How bout an ace coach? Id rather have a coach that can teach, communicate and get the most out of our players than a Les Miles or Ed O that gets kids to campus and can't develop the talent.

Being an ace recruiter isn't necessarily a direct value of the man as much as it is the school that coach works for. Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp are considered top recruiters... Would they be considered top recruiters at a school like Vanderbilt or Memphis?  They're considered top recruiters because who they represent.

Don't lose sight of the real need; to replace coaching skills not just recruiting ability.

I would take a top coach over top recruiter all day, every day, forever.
There's a reason that many schools have their best recruiter coaching running backs. It's because coaching running backs isn't rocket surgery and those coaches can spend more of their time recruiting. The main thing that you look for in running backs are speed/quickness and size, which they either have or they don't. The coach's job is to teach the finer points of ball security, vision, pass blocking, and catching.
Compare that to all the things a QB coach, O-line coach, or defensive coach has to teach.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 11:14:34 am
Hey, we should get some change back, too! Like, $50,000, haha.

According to Ark-Dem Gazette, thats exactly what we get.

texas tush hog

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 07, 2015, 12:19:50 pm
There's the possibility of flexibility here.  Both Smith and Enos have coached RBs before.  I truly believe Enos will stick at QB coach, but if we found a stud QB or WR coach we could make it work.

Like Chris Weinke maybe?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 07, 2015, 12:25:41 pm
It's because coaching running backs isn't rocket surgery

Always tough when a rocket needs surgery. Not very many good rocket surgeons around anymore.

FrozenHam

Larry Porter appears to still be at UNC, and unfortunately has allegations leveled against him from his tenure at OK State under Les Miles as previously mentioned.  Texas invetstigated these reports while Porter was on their staff and "found no wrongdoing on Porter's part," per the story below:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24439302/unc-announces-hires-of-larry-porter-keith-heckendorf

Tim Harris

Quote from: hogcam on February 07, 2015, 11:19:54 am
How happy is wildhog gonna be?

Lets just hope this wasn't to much for him and he killed over.

I expected him to have about 20 posts in this thread by now.

Hoot72

How about Curtis Luper, running back coach at TCU

ImHogginIt

Thomas coached well and earned a promotion to the big money of the NFL. Shows CBB knows how to get some good people. Rarely saw that under the previous two coaches.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hoot72 on February 07, 2015, 12:41:45 pm
How about Curtis Luper, running back coach at TCU

His son plays at TCU right?

ArmyOfnobunaga

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205558557

Hurlie Brown is a great recruiter...

But I really don't think we are going to be able to poach an existing P5 coach.

I would rather see us find a HS coach that has a huge reputation in a recruiting market of interest.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Chief Mac

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 12:23:49 pm

Not negative.....riiiight
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 07, 2015, 12:43:32 pm
Thomas coached well and earned a promotion to the big money of the NFL. Shows CBB knows how to get some good people. Rarely saw that under the previous two coaches.

Bingo-Bango

IBleedRazorbackRed

Best guess would be somebody Enos has worked with before.

xxtomassxx1980

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1354986&;
How about this guy, Ron Brown. Surely we can pay more than Youngstown State.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 07, 2015, 12:48:46 pm
Bingo-Bango

Average RB coach  salary in the NFL is about 200-250k last I checked.

ricepig

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 07, 2015, 12:31:10 pm
Always tough when a rocket needs surgery. Not very many good rocket surgeons around anymore.

Well, NASA cutting back, the Rooskies are broke, that leaves Musk, and he's trying to sell $100,000 electric cars. So, yeah, there isn't the demand there used to be.

sickboy

Curtis Enis. Midwest guy. Was an all world running back at Penn State. Played in the NFL. Has coached high school in Ohio. Probably knows how to talk honestly with high school kids. Just a thought.

snoblind

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 12:23:49 pm

No you really didn't.  First thing I think of when I notice new folks posting is I wonder who they were before they got banned.

opineonswine

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 12:03:39 pm
I always think the same thing...

The Ironic part is that online Arkansas fans say over and over that they trust CBB to make an incredible hire "Just look at Smith"... yet they fail to look at the fact that 4 of the original hires didn't work out for some reason.

If we have exodus next year to equivalent positions ,as well, it will be interesting.

Probably a lot easier now to convince assistants to come here.  When BB came, the house was on fire.

HOGINTENNESSEE

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

rljjr

Chief Mac

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 12:50:42 pm
Average RB coach  salary in the NFL is about 200-250k last I checked.

Even if that were true, which job has more work to it, NFL where he would coach his position and nothing more or college where he has to coach, babysit, and recruit?

$250K for one job is not the same as $250k for another

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 07, 2015, 11:46:35 am
I wish Thomas well. but this is good news for Arkansas. this is another chance for coach B to upgrade. get somebody in here that can really recruit. i wish he would go hard after Larry Porter. where is Porter these days? Thomas is a good man and good coach. but there was nothing great about him. and i was not happy with his recruiting. we should have been able to recruit 4 and 5 star RB all over the country the last few years. and he never got anybody. this is not bad news. this is good news in my opinion.

+1111111111111

+111111111111111111111111111

+11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Coach B. will talk about all the interest the position is getting but likely hire someone from up north.  This is where we need to go get a stone cold recruiter that can pull kids from the SEC footmap.  Georgia has been loaded the last 2 years, Florida is SIIIIIICK in '16.

There are actually a lot of top end RB's in MI/OH/PA/NJ in 2016.

Will be interesting to see where Coach B. heads w/ the hire.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Tim Harris

EK Franks was a RB coach before coming here to be Director of Recruiting.

Not saying that will happen but after the last few hires i expect it to be someone off the radar.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on February 07, 2015, 12:04:27 pm
Larry Porter sure does bounce around a lot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Porter

Only two of those were not considered step ups. When he went to Memphis as the Head coach and when he lost his job at tejas due to a change in the head coaching job there. I don't care for him but he does have a reputation as a good recruiter. As far as the other aspects of coaching I'm not sold on him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 07, 2015, 12:31:10 pm

They can't afford malpractice insurance with Obamacare............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

greenie

Now we have room for Chris Weinke.  Move Smith to RBs and let Lunney cover TEs and WRs.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

At Oaklawn right now.  Will most definitely comment on this later.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2015, 01:46:01 pm

My philosophy there is two beers a race, one cornbeef every two races, and book the bets of everyone in your box, you'll come out a winner.

JackJohnson

Look at it this way- no matter how u do there...u have already won 😃

Paul

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Just signed one of our best classes in forever and people are still screaming for more recruiters?  I want coaches and developers first, recruiters second.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DoctorSusscrofa

One RB that ran for 1000 two years in a row and one that ran for 900 and 1000. Glad to know the RB coach wasn't working out and we had to kick his a** to the nfl.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

HOGINTENNESSEE

duckman

Buy you a beer across the street after the races, will be at Crosswalk....