Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema gets raise and extension

Started by ricepig, February 07, 2015, 09:29:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Justifiable Hogicide

The right money for the right man.
Glad Coach B will be here and wants to be here!

nchogg

I'am very pleased Coach B got the raise he deserves. Most of us just look at what a coach does during football season. It's a full time 12 month a year job. Look at the hours all the staff puts in during recruiting, before spring, after spring, they get a little time during the summer and after bowl season but the rest of the year is booked. It would be great not to have no off field issues this year. Go Hogs!

Steef

Quote from: snoblind on February 07, 2015, 03:08:28 pm
Just think, in a few years when he wins the SEC and then a NC we will give him a lifetime contract.  He will never leave.  Maybe he will outlive Paterno or Bowden.  You will have to see him on our sidelines for another 30 years, maybe longer.  The foundation will build statues around the stadium. 

Never, ever leave...

LOL

+1

Hawgzinbowlz

Deserved.

Oh,...Jen does not like Iowa cold weather.

" GO HOGS "

GatorHog

Read thread title, thought: "oh no, not again"

Dropkick

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 07, 2015, 02:18:53 pm
Jeff Long is trying to legitimize his decision to hire bb.  Big contract for a guy that has won 2 sec games in 2 years. 
Sucks for you,lol

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 09:33:22 am
Yeah, but just middle of the back in the SEC.

As much as I thought he was a douchnozzle while at Wisconsin, I've really taken to the guy since I got over the shock of of him being hired at our beloved Arkansas. However, he hasn't earned better than middle of the pack in SEC as yet. I want him hungry, not fat... no slight intended by that.

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

opineonswine

Jeff Long is trying to legitimize his decision to hire bb.  Big contract for a guy that has won 2 sec games in 2 years.

You had zero credibility before that statement.  Now, you're just embarrassing.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2015, 02:16:02 pm
I guess that depends on what you consider middle of the pack in the SEC (assuming you meant that).

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

Mike London is doing pretty well for a 5 year old
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

onebadrubi

Oh hey, there you are.  Only come out when you have a negative bashing comment

HawgTide

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 07, 2015, 09:49:24 pm
Oh hey, there you are.  Only come out when you have a negative bashing comment

BBH only uses his super powers for evil

hoglady

It's just about unbelievable between the football team and the basketball team the lack of drama.
Haven't seen any Washington county inmate arrest reports in a while

Anderson and Coach B are probably the best duo we've ever had at handling the academic side of sports and helping to keep their players doing right.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 09:33:22 am
Yeah, but just middle of the back in the SEC.

Which, at this point, is about where we stand in the SEC. Seems fair.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

silverandbluedc

Quote from: hoglady on February 07, 2015, 11:32:58 am
Iowa - that's the one that bothers me.
If they ever get out of that horrible contract with Ferentz - you know they'd come calling.

I agree. Iowa is the only one that concerns me.

LZH

Quote from: snoblind on February 07, 2015, 03:08:28 pm
Just think, in a few years when he wins the SEC and then a NC we will give him a lifetime contract.  He will never leave.  Maybe he will outlive Paterno or Bowden.  You will have to see him on our sidelines for another 30 years, maybe longer.  The foundation will build statues around the stadium. 

Never, ever leave...

This is such horsepiss.  #1 - he did great at the end of last year (his second year...which was to be expected).  #2 - His record is HDN so far....is he worth the $$$$ if we have 10000 empty seats at RRS?  Think people.

I swear, this guy is HDN #2.  He can pass gas and ya'll will fight each other to run and smell it.

Yes, he did a great job last year.  Um, wasn't that the idea when he was hired?  $3.2m isn't enough for 10 wins in 2 years?

onebadrubi

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2015, 10:51:33 pm
This is such horsepiss.  #1 - he did great at the end of last year (his second year...which was to be expected).  #2 - His record is HDN so far....is he worth the $$$$ if we have 10000 empty seats at RRS?  Think people.

I swear, this guy is HDN #2.  He can pass gas and ya'll will fight each other to run and smell it.

Yes, he did a great job last year.  Um, wasn't that the idea when he was hired?  $3.2m isn't enough for 10 wins in 2 years?

Who would you go right now and pay 4 million too that you know for sure would do better?  And recruit better?  Also be bringing in young men that are of this caliber?  (Funny how the people bashing Bielema refuse to recognize this).

snoblind

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2015, 10:51:33 pm

Hook, line, and sinker...

Like fish in a barrel.

ICEman

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 07, 2015, 11:37:28 am
Who cares? 80,000 fans don't come watch a chemistry experiment.
As long as there is an explosion involved, a Mythbuster's episode will have ratings in excess of two orders of magnitude greater.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoglady on February 07, 2015, 10:29:41 am
Wish the buyout numbers were more equal to both sides.
But Beliema seems happy here. I think he likes working for Jeff Long, better than he did Alvarez.
But I still don't understand why there would be such a huge discrepancy between the 2.
We need stability. Hope that Iowa job doesn't come open anytime soon.

My guess is CBB insisted as he knew moving a program from CBP's style to his wasn't going to happen overnight. With that buyout the school would have to think long and hard about prematurely firing him.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 08, 2015, 05:36:22 am
My guess is CBB insisted as he knew moving a program from CBP's style to his wasn't going to happen overnight. With that buyout the school would have to think long and hard about prematurely firing him.

I understand the huge buyout on our end.
Wish the buyout for him leaving was higher.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hog N Bama

Very happy about the raise and new contract. Hope he stays a long time. Coach B rulz! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Fatty McGee

Seems kinda early for this sort of raise.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

ricepig

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 08:41:02 am

I'm guessing they forgot to ask you.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 08:41:02 am
If you aren't sold on CBB by now, you will never be. Even Bama fans are coming up to me and making comments about our program's progress. They are impressed and skeeeerrrrd  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Fatty McGee

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 08:45:49 am
I'm guessing they forgot to ask you.

I'm guessing they forgot to ask anyone here. Sorry if opinions offend you. This may not be the place for you if so. Best of luck wherever you land though.

FraggleHog

link was to the old contract: please disregard. My bad...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

bigbadhog

Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hog N Bama on February 08, 2015, 08:48:59 am
If you aren't sold on CBB by now, you will never be. Even Bama fans are coming up to me and making comments about our program's progress. They are impressed and skeeeerrrrd  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

I think he's a fine coach, but the only coaches I believe are worth breaking the bank for are Saban and Meyer, proven long term winners. But we don't make decisions on whether Bama fans are "skeered". It just seems early and a reflection of how beaten down we are rather than on field performance. I realize college football coaching salaries are generally built on guesswork and hope. It just seems like whenever we get even the hint of winning we overpay and overestimate the future.

If he's truly great there will be plenty of time to pay him.

ricepig

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 08:56:33 am
I'm guessing they forgot to ask anyone here. Sorry if opinions offend you. This may not be the place for you if so. Best of luck wherever you land though.

I've already landed, and only sorry opinions offend me.

ricepig

Fatty McGee

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 09:00:58 am

I'll try to keep up with your thoughtful analysis then, Mr. Hawking. So your delicate sensibilities can avoid the pain of learning anything further.

26.2Hog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 07, 2015, 11:37:28 am
Who cares? 80,000 fans don't come watch a chemistry experiment.

True, but Ray Winder used to pack them in for Captain Dynamite.

Long live Captain Dynamite, Lieutenant TNT, and Dynamite Dina!

FraggleHog

Here are the "incentives" from the previous contract... I assume they are generally the same with some revisions

$100,000 for winning an SEC Championship
$350,000 for winning a National Championship
$300,000 for appearing in a National Championship game
$200,000 for appearing in a semifinal playoff game beginning in the 2014 season
$150,000 for appearing in a non-title BCS bowl game beginning in the 2014 season
$100,000 for appearing in the Capital One Bowl or the Cotton Bowl
$50,000 for appearing in any other bowl game
$25,000 for winning SEC coach of the year
$25,000 for winning national coach of the year
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Pork Twain

Lot of butthurt in this thread.  I cannot remember a time where I saw a team improve this much from the beginning of year one to the end of year 2.  I am pumped that we have CBB and that we are willing to pay to keep our coaches.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2015, 09:14:45 am
Lot of butthurt in this thread.  I cannot remember a time where I saw a team improve this much from the beginning of year one to the end of year 2.  I am pumped that we have CBB and that we are willing to pay to keep our coaches.

Houston Nutt took Ole Miss from 3-9 under Orgeron to 9-4 his first year.
Nick Saban took 'Bama from 7-6 to 12-2 his first two years. 

Our improvement is not that unprecedented.  I'm just saying let's sustain it and maybe win a division before we pay just a few hundred thousand less than Urban Meyer and Les Miles made last year.  And more than Spurrier.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 09:19:48 am
Houston Nutt took Ole Miss from 3-9 under Orgeron to 9-4 his first year.
Nick Saban took 'Bama from 7-6 to 12-2 his first two years. 

Our improvement is not that unprecedented.  I'm just saying let's sustain it and maybe win a division before we pay just a few hundred thousand less than Urban Meyer and Les Miles made last year.  And more than Spurrier.

I think it's a reasonable take, Fatty.

Bielema has really grown on me and I think he'll ultimately make huge strides, but there's no need to put the cart before the horse.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

bigbadhog

[/quoteA
All posts going forward must be approved by ricepig BEFORE posted so he can determine if they are "sorry"...

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2015, 09:14:45 am

My only complaint in this contract is I'd like to have seen a bigger buyout on Bret's end.

ricepig

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 09:04:13 am
I'll try to keep up with your thoughtful analysis then, Mr. Hawking. So your delicate sensibilities can avoid the pain of learning anything further.

When you put out something worthy, I'll let you know.....

bigbadhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 09:01:35 am
You haven't.......

Why the hostility - message boards are about opinions and I can assure you yours is not the only one...

ricepig

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 08, 2015, 09:29:19 am
Why the hostility - message boards are about opinions and I can assure you yours is not the only one...

Because some never change their spots, and I never said mine was the only one....

bigbadhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 09:28:20 am
When you put out something worthy, I'll let you know.....

And we will return the favor...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 08:59:37 am
I think he's a fine coach, but the only coaches I believe are worth breaking the bank for are Saban and Meyer, proven long term winners. But we don't make decisions on whether Bama fans are "skeered". It just seems early and a reflection of how beaten down we are rather than on field performance. I realize college football coaching salaries are generally built on guesswork and hope. It just seems like whenever we get even the hint of winning we overpay and overestimate the future.

If he's truly great there will be plenty of time to pay him.

Maybe maybe not. When I take a new job I come to them with a certain amount of proven success. I feel they should pay me a certain amount. I have taken jobs where the pay was below what I felt I was worth. However, I always ensured it was agreed upon that if I hit certain goals my pay would increase.

This is a gamble for a company. If a third party feels I am worth that amount now BEFORE I hit agreed upon goals then they may lure me away. If my current company comes running with a pay increase after someone else has shown me some love - then I may not be in the mood to contemplate my current company's increased offer.

The trick for a company, or UofA, is to pay enough to keep other programs away. Then when the success comes you pay to keep the big programs away. His current pay keeps the other programs away, but not the big programs.

His pay is within lines of this - IMHO. Now if Saban left Bama then we may need to be worried about them making an offer due to his current pay.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Fatty McGee

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 08, 2015, 10:14:45 am
Maybe maybe not. When I take a new job I come to them with a certain amount of proven success. I feel they should pay me a certain amount. I have taken jobs where the pay was below what I felt I was worth. However, I always ensured it was agreed upon that if I hit certain goals my pay would increase.

This is a gamble for a company. If a third party feels I am worth that amount now BEFORE I hit agreed upon goals then they may lure me away. If my current company comes running with a pay increase after someone else has shown me some love - then I may not be in the mood to contemplate my current company's increased offer.

The trick for a company, or UofA, is to pay enough to keep other programs away. Then when the success comes you pay to keep the big programs away. His current pay keeps the other programs away, but not the big programs.

His pay is within lines of this - IMHO. Now if Saban left Bama then we may need to be worried about them making an offer due to his current pay.

I get what you're saying, I just don't see one 7-6 season as the time to worry about it.  He'll always take the money later.  And I have no fear that Bama is going to hire a guy with one 7-6 SEC season. 

And for the record, I have no strong feelings one way or the other about his coaching skill.  I'm looking at the record v. the results, as well as our history of irrational exuberance at every scintilla of hope.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 08, 2015, 09:35:00 am
And we will return the favor...

There is no evidence from your previous postings to prove this statement. Sorry you post negative no matter what else is posted or happens on the field.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 10:17:19 am
I get what you're saying, I just don't see one 7-6 season as the time to worry about it.  He'll always take the money later.  And I have no fear that Bama is going to hire a guy with one 7-6 SEC season.

Well there definitely is risks in both of our positions on how much to pay.

You cannot make that assumption about Bama without having talked with the AD staff. CBB is pretty well respected.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 08, 2015, 10:22:59 am
Well there definitely is risks in both of our positions on how much to pay.

You cannot make that assumption about Bama without having talked with the AD staff. CBB is pretty well respected.

That's true, it's an assumption.  And hiring is a crapshoot.  I don't see it for 'Bama, but what do I know of their internal workings?

LZH

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 07, 2015, 11:19:55 pm
Who would you go right now and pay 4 million too that you know for sure would do better?  And recruit better?  Also be bringing in young men that are of this caliber?  (Funny how the people bashing Bielema refuse to recognize this).

Maybe no one.  Just saying giving him a raise like this after a 3-9 and a 7-6 season is crazy.  At least wait until he wins 9-10 games next year (which he very well could).  I don't agree with the raise, but mostly I was poking fun at everyone who was high-fiving each other over this.  Sheep, they are.

LZH