Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema gets raise and extension

Started by ricepig, February 07, 2015, 09:29:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 08, 2015, 10:28:41 am
Maybe no one.  Just saying giving him a raise like this after a 3-9 and a 7-6 season is crazy.  At least wait until he wins 9-10 games next year (which he very well could).  I don't agree with the raise, but mostly I was poking fun at everyone who was high-fiving each other over this.  Sheep, they are.

Same type of sheep as you, we're all looking for a Shepherd.....

opineonswine

From this thread it's easy to see why Jeff Long and the UofA Administration are qualified to be the decision makers.  Some of you would drive our program into the dirt.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 08:45:49 am
I'm guessing they forgot to ask you.

Let's knock this down a few decimal points.  We're not unfamiliar with each other so I know you aren't stingy with your $$$ to the RF...but, say, if you're giving $32K to the program, would you just offer up another $8K on your own before next season even began?

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 08, 2015, 10:44:06 am
Let's knock this down a few decimal points.  We're not unfamiliar with each other so I know you aren't stingy with your $$$ to the RF...but, say, if you're giving $32K to the program, would you just offer up another $8K on your own before next season even began?

If I felt that it was warranted and I had the money, sure. Without being privy to all the details, I don't object to the raise. Could/should we have waited another year, I don't know, again in the details.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2015, 10:48:58 am
If I felt that it was warranted and I had the money, sure. Without being privy to all the details, I don't object to the raise. Could/should we have waited another year, I don't know, again in the details.

We're getting into Iowa territory imo.  What if he goes 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 for the next three years?  That's not out of the realm of possibility, ya know.  Hell, if we raise the stakes a few million more, we could lure an NFL coach to NWA for that matter.  I just think - unless BB had a REAL offer from somewhere else and was thinking about taking it - that we jumped the gun on this.

Another year was in order for a raise.  Now if we're talking about giving Smith a raise, that's different.  But BB was paid handsomely to come in and do what he appears to be doing.  In other words, he damn sure hasn't exceeded anyone's expectations.

harrisburghog

It's apparen that Jeff Long and the administration have succeeded in dumbing down the expectations of many Hog fans.

Jek Tono Porkins

Here's the deal; this wasn't just any 7-6 season. The record doesn't tell the whole story. The team played well the entire year. They were in every game until the bitter end (except for Auburn and Georgia) and shut out two SEC opponents, one being a top ten team. The last time Arkansas shut out an opponent period was in 2006 and the last SEC team Arkansas shut out was in 2001. If we played Vandy and Kentucky this season like Miss State did instead of Mizzou and Georgia, we'd be a 9-4 team, unfortunately that's not the way it worked out. So just saying "He's a 7-6 coach harrrumph wheeze" is being disingenuous. Arkansas is by far the best 7-6 team in the country.

Add in players going to class, graduating, not getting arrested and/or bringing embarrassment to the program. I don't know if any other coach that would suspend a star player for a quarter or half because he was late to a meeting. Bielema is running a tight ship that sets student-athletes up for success.

Add in one of the best recruiting classes Arkansas has had in a long time.

My guess is that Long thought the rebuilding of the football program was going to be a long, arduous painful process that would take at least 3 years just to get a good foundation. The program is very nearly turned all the way around after two. All of those factors combined can very easily be considered grounds for a raise and extension.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: LZH on February 08, 2015, 10:58:16 am
We're getting into Iowa territory imo.  What if he goes 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 for the next three years?  That's not out of the realm of possibility, ya know.  Hell, if we raise the stakes a few million more, we could lure an NFL coach to NWA for that matter.  I just think - unless BB had a REAL offer from somewhere else and was thinking about taking it - that we jumped the gun on this.

Another year was in order for a raise.  Now if we're talking about giving Smith a raise, that's different.  But BB was paid handsomely to come in and do what he appears to be doing.  In other words, he damn sure hasn't exceeded anyone's expectations.
Bull crap. If I told you at the beginning of the season that we would lose to Bama by 1 point and shut out LSU and Ole Miss you would have thought I was bug nutty batschit crazy. Many on this board and the media thought we still wouldn't win an SEC game this year.

LZH

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 08, 2015, 11:16:39 am
Bull crap. If I told you at the beginning of the season that we would lose to Bama by 1 point and shut out LSU and Ole Miss you would have thought I was bug nutty batschit crazy. Many on this board and the media thought we still wouldn't win an SEC game this year.

But......we didn't beat Bama, or MSU, or A&M, or etc..................

I'm not "many on this board" or the media.  We're only as good as our record...that's just how I feel.

opineonswine

Quote from: harrisburghog on February 08, 2015, 11:11:11 am
It's apparen that Jeff Long and the administration have succeeded in dumbing down the expectations of many Hog fans.

Some of you just don't get it.

Fatty McGee

Reading this is interesting in that most seem to have no problem paying a coach millions.  I'm wondering, if we could pay players a market value, just like a coach, who would you bid on first and how much?  Would it be a scholarship/income combination?  Or just straight salary?  What would you expect our team payroll to be?  Assume no salary cap.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 08, 2015, 11:15:04 am
Here's the deal; this wasn't just any 7-6 season. The record doesn't tell the whole story. The team played well the entire year. They were in every game until the bitter end (except for Auburn and Georgia) and shut out two SEC opponents, one being a top ten team. The last time Arkansas shut out an opponent period was in 2006 and the last SEC team Arkansas shut out was in 2001. If we played Vandy and Kentucky this season like Miss State did instead of Mizzou and Georgia, we'd be a 9-4 team, unfortunately that's not the way it worked out. So just saying "He's a 7-6 coach harrrumph wheeze" is being disingenuous. Arkansas is by far the best 7-6 team in the country.

Add in players going to class, graduating, not getting arrested and/or bringing embarrassment to the program. I don't know if any other coach that would suspend a star player for a quarter or half because he was late to a meeting. Bielema is running a tight ship that sets student-athletes up for success.

Add in one of the best recruiting classes Arkansas has had in a long time.

My guess is that Long thought the rebuilding of the football program was going to be a long, arduous painful process that would take at least 3 years just to get a good foundation. The program is very nearly turned all the way around after two. All of those factors combined can very easily be considered grounds for a raise and extension.

Agreed. When Bobby buckaroo'd over the bars he was receiving $ 3.65 +/-
JLS couldn't even find our program, that was buried in the mud and covered with brush, briers and ditch debris.
CBB has pulled the program out of the ditch trash, cleaned it off and has it headed North/South.
+1 to Jeff for getting out in front of this and re-establishing that both CBB and The UofA plan on a long term relationship. Good for recruiting and a new contract will likely keep CBB from getting a wandering eye for a few more years.
Contract raises and extensions are always a guessing game, based on current information.
I think the raise/extension was warranted and my only complaint, as someone posted earlier, is that CBBs end of the buyout was not more balanced.
Looking forward to April 25 and then on to September 5.

" GO HOGS "

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 08, 2015, 11:23:41 am

I'm not "many on this board" or the media.  We're only as good as our record...that's just how I feel.

Well, withhold your donation if it upsets you so.

Doug

Quote from: LZHAnother year was in order for a raise.  Now if we're talking about giving Smith a raise, that's different.  But BB was paid handsomely to come in and do what he appears to be doing.  In other words, he damn sure hasn't exceeded anyone's expectations.
You're speaking for yourself (and maybe a few others, here). Don't try to lump everyone's expectations as your own, because Bielema's certainly exceeded mine.

Highest GPA in the history of the CFB program? Check
Most # of graduating seniors? Check
two dominating shut outs against ranked teams (never done by an UNranked team before in CFB)? Check and Check
1 year ahead of projected/anticipated rebuild job? CHECK
NO Razorback CFB player arrested during off season? BONUS CHECK
Continual improvement offensively and defensively? Half check (Defense was stellar). Offense is almost there.
NATIONAL Media respect, despite on-field WL record? Check
Underpaid (his request) to free up budget for better assistants? Check
NO ticket fee increases, despite increased budgetary needs? Check

Some of the above are beyond his scope (last two items). We have marked improvement every game this past season.

Please, don't pretend you're speaking for me (or assume you're speaking for everyone or anyone else). :)

(Minor edit: Grammar fixes and wording additions noted by underlined items)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

wildhogman

Quote from: Doug on February 08, 2015, 11:57:31 am
You're speaking for yourself (and maybe a few others, here). Don't try to lump everyone's expectations as your own, because Bielema's certainly exceeded mine.

Highest GPA in the history of the CFB program? Check
Most # of graduating seniors? Check
Two dominating shut outs against ranked team (never done before in CFB)? Check and Check
1 year ahead of projected/anticipated rebuild job? CHECK
NO Razorback CFB player arrested during off season? BONUS CHECK
Continual improvement offensively and defensively? Half check (Defense was stellar). Offense is almost there.
NATIONAL Media respect, despite on-field WL record? Check
Underpaid (his request) to free up budget for better assistants? Check
NO ticket fee increases, despite increased budgetary needs? Check

Some of the above are beyond his scope (last two items). We have marked improvement every game this past season.

Please, don't pretend you're speaking for me (or assume you're speaking for everyone or anyone else). :)
Doug speaks for a lot of the board including me? big check. Agree with all of this

Pork Twain

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 09:19:48 am
Houston Nutt took Ole Miss from 3-9 under Orgeron to 9-4 his first year.
Nick Saban took 'Bama from 7-6 to 12-2 his first two years. 

Our improvement is not that unprecedented.  I'm just saying let's sustain it and maybe win a division before we pay just a few hundred thousand less than Urban Meyer and Les Miles made last year.  And more than Spurrier.
Both HDN and Nicky had much more talent on hand when they began.  What is the big deal with locking up a coach that is making progress and building this team the right way?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

So you want to have upper level SEC results, but you don't want to pay for it until you get it?  That is reasonable, but sometimes it is better to show an act of goodwill and let the rest of college football know that we are ready to compete with the big boys on every level.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 11:32:20 am
Reading this is interesting in that most seem to have no problem paying a coach millions.  I'm wondering, if we could pay players a market value, just like a coach, who would you bid on first and how much?  Would it be a scholarship/income combination?  Or just straight salary?  What would you expect our team payroll to be?  Assume no salary cap.
We can worry about that when the time comes.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2015, 12:06:12 pm
Both HDN and Nicky had much more talent on hand when they began.  What is the big deal with locking up a coach that is making progress and building this team the right way?

Maybe they did and maybe they didn't.  It's not a big deal.  My humble opinion is that it was too soon, and paying before you can be sure the results will produce on the field consistently can result in paying a buyout for many years for someone no to coach.  It's worked for HDN and Charlie Weis, but not so much for their schools.

Again, I'm not saying Bielema is going to end up like that, I'm just saying it's too soon to predict, and I'm unaware of any particular school willing to pay more at this point.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 12:11:00 pm
Maybe they did and maybe they didn't.  It's not a big deal.  My humble opinion is that it was too soon, and paying before you can be sure the results will produce on the field consistently can result in paying a buyout for many years for someone no to coach.  It's worked for HDN and Charlie Weis, but not so much for their schools.

Again, I'm not saying Bielema is going to end up like that, I'm just saying it's too soon to predict, and I'm unaware of any particular school willing to pay more at this point.
A lot more money is spent with much more uncertainty with rookie contracts in every sport.  I am more than happy to see someone else spend their money like this.

Chief Mac

Quote from: opineonswine on February 08, 2015, 11:31:28 am
Some of you just don't get it.

Forgive him....he sent an early Valentine to BP and didn't get anything back yet
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

harrisburghog

Two questions for those who support the contract exstinsion and raise BB was given. At what point would you cut bait with BB?  What's your time frame that you would be willing to give him to attain or create what you perceive to be a successful program ?

Chief Mac

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 08, 2015, 08:59:35 am
Easy to trend up from zero...

For someone that professes a love of the Hogs, you never have anything but negative comments.  Maybe some professional help is needed.....pharmaceuticals can do wonders for one's mood!
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: harrisburghog on February 08, 2015, 12:27:09 pm
Two questions for those who support the contract exstinsion and raise BB was given. At what point would you cut bait with BB?  What's your time frame that you would be willing to give him to attain or create what you perceive to be a successful program ?
Before I answer I'd be very curious to hear what you're opinion is. After all, I'd have to assume you have one or you won't necessarily bring the matter to a forum.

Dr. Starcs

I've always said 4 years at minimum. Halfway through that, I'd say he's doing great.

Btw, don't ever ask fcj to do this with CMA.

Kevin Bacon

Last season we were +.500 with a bowl win over a former rival.  Success attained.  Like everyone else he can continue building on it.

Pudgepork

This team spoiled us last year with marked improvement on the offensive side but unexpected levels of improvement on the defensive side as well.   That success removes any 'time constraints' that might have been on this coaching experiment.  At the same time it leaves the fans with expectations of more large signs of improvement.

This team has every reason to have an improved season:

more experience at almost all positions. 
more depth at all positions
IMHO an improvement in all staff changes
very nice additions from recruiting class
several conference teams were Sr laden teams and have to replace too much
another year with program stability

If the 2015 team goes 3-9.   screw all of that.   pressure to produce or get out returns during the 2017 season

harrisburghog

I'd waited untill next year to even consider an exstinsion or raise. When doing so I also would have made the cost of him being fired or leaving equal for both parties. If he doesn't have the team in contention for at least  the west by year four I'd be done and at least every third after year four.

MuskogeeHogFan

Your previous posts tend to show a lack of support for Long and Bielema. You are the same guy that predicted we would get drilled by NIU and that "Bielema's ball control would backfire on him" in that game.

Forgive me, but I smell a negative agenda in this thread.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

You couldn't just complain about his raise in the other thread?

ldfergu

I'm tired of hiring and firing HC's. I'm committed to the long haul with CBB. Even if that means we occasionally have the 8 win seasons but every few years we win 10 or more. This conference is tough and I'd be satisfied with that.

Choctaw Hog

As long as he needs. 

MissippHog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 12:11:00 pm

But you're only looking at on-field results.  Obviously Long and the PTB are happy with the direction of the program on and OFF the field.  They are showing their happiness and appreciation by giving the man a raise.  IMO, he's worth it.

TrueBlue

There is one born every minute......

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on February 08, 2015, 12:46:26 pm
I'm tired of hiring and firing HC's. I'm committed to the long haul with CBB. Even if that means we occasionally have the 8 win seasons but every few years we win 10 or more. This conference is tough and I'd be satisfied with that.
This is so true. I'd much rather take consistent, moderate success most years with great success every few seasons if the tradeoff is no more 3, 4, or 5 win seasons. The up-and-down rollercoaster that has been Arkansas football for the past decade has absolutely killed recruiting at a place where it's already tough to recruit.

opineonswine

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 08, 2015, 01:10:09 pm
This is so true. I'd much rather take consistent, moderate success most years with great success every few seasons if the tradeoff is no more 3, 4, or 5 win seasons. The up-and-down rollercoaster that has been Arkansas football for the past decade has absolutely killed recruiting at a place where it's already tough to recruit.

Very rational thinking.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on February 08, 2015, 11:23:41 am

Hey man, we paid 3.65 million (or someone did) to get rid of a mediocre HC whose antics brought less than respect to the program. Is it ok if we pay 4.0 mil for a guy who obviously appears to be improving the program in all phases and takes responsibility for his mistakes, instead of throwing other people under the bus? Come on, man.
Go Hogs Go!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2015, 01:16:55 pm
Hey man, we paid 3.65 million (or someone did) to get rid of a mediocre HC whose antics brought less than respect to the program. Is it ok if we pay 4.0 mil for a guy who obviously appears to be improving the program in all phases and takes responsibility for his mistakes, instead of throwing other people under the bus? Come on, man.

I don't know that using our previous dumb decisions as a contrast is the best reason for paying more now. . . .

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 02:11:53 pm
I don't know that using our previous dumb decisions as a contrast is the best reason for paying more now. . . .

The contrast is in the difference between the two coach's, not the dumb decision in one, and the decision with this one.
Go Hogs Go!

BorderPatrol

Y'all are letting the nancies draw y'all offsides.

Let em bitch and moan, it is very entertaining to see them so distraught.

bp

LZH

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2015, 12:09:23 pm
So you want to have upper level SEC results, but you don't want to pay for it until you get it?  That is reasonable, but sometimes it is better to show an act of goodwill and let the rest of college football know that we are ready to compete with the big boys on every level.

That's probably the best way to put it.  Hey, if the salary of the Razorback football coach is set at $4M, fine.  But has BB done anything yet to deserve it?  No, he's still working on that.

Look guys, I've admitted that he did a great job last year....but $4M?.............wasn't he paid $3.2M to do as much/or more?

Just sayin'............

Pork Twain

I have seen nothing but praise and respect for the jobs Long and CBB have done...outside of Hogville.  Sad that the only place you can find negative comments about our team is on our own board.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2015, 03:31:37 pm
I have seen nothing but praise and respect for the jobs Long and CBB have done...outside of Hogville

I am high on both.

rhames

Needed

Arkansas does not ever need to be the place with the 12th highest paid football coach In the sec

Especially given the things he as accomplished in his career.

Wish buyout was equal on both sides.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 08, 2015, 10:25:03 am
That's true, it's an assumption.  And hiring is a crapshoot.  I don't see it for 'Bama, but what do I know of their internal workings?

Definitely my Bama comments are an assumption as well. Heck Saban has spoiled them so much there is no telling who they think they can sign after Saban leaves.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on February 08, 2015, 10:28:41 am
Maybe no one.  Just saying giving him a raise like this after a 3-9 and a 7-6 season is crazy.  At least wait until he wins 9-10 games next year (which he very well could).  I don't agree with the raise, but mostly I was poking fun at everyone who was high-fiving each other over this.  Sheep, they are.

Anyone who pays attention to LZH posts recognized this!  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

I heard someone spotted Nebraska's jet on the tarmac!  ;)

hoglady

I'm a fan of the contract extension and raise.
I'm not a fan of the buyout structure.
We have committed to Coach B for the long haul - no matter the results we could never afford the HUGE buyout.
He could walk in Jan 2016 for 3 million.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ChitownHawg

Quote from: harrisburghog on February 08, 2015, 12:42:59 pm
I'd waited untill next year to even consider an exstinsion or raise. When doing so I also would have made the cost of him being fired or leaving equal for both parties. If he doesn't have the team in contention for at least  the west by year four I'd be done and at least every third after year four.

For all we know this may have very well been a gentleman's agreement from the get go. As ricepig said we don't have the details.

nchogg

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2015, 03:31:37 pm
I have seen nothing but praise and respect for the jobs Long and CBB have done...outside of Hogville.  Sad that the only place you can find negative comments about our team is on our own board.
Read some of jumb ball and it is worse sometimes. You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself. I'am very happy with coach and the progress he has made with the team both on and off the field. I guess I have been watching arkansas football for too many years seeing the ups and downs.