Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen and the Hogs offense in 2015.

Started by HogMantheIntruder, February 04, 2015, 08:59:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

I'm just happy to have a former QB coaching our QB and being our OC. It was hard for me seeing Chaney coach BA, yes he did have Brees, but everywhere he had been he was a TE or OL Coach as well as OC. He didn't really develop QB's personally.

Fletch

February 05, 2015, 11:10:02 am #51 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:24:17 pm by Fletch
Record of SEC opponents Stoerner's senior year-- 51-43
Record of SEC opponents BAs junior year--76-30
Unless I miscounted

Stoerner got to play these teams:

SC  0-11
KY   6-6
LSU  3-8

BA didn't get to face teams like that

Just my opinion, but I think the two are at least equal.
I feel like $100

PaintballHog

The improvement of our passing game will have huge ripple effects for the running game and even the defense. It will be exciting having Enos next year.  :razorback:

PonderinHog

I'm gonna give BA one more season.  If he doesn't deliver, he's out.  This is my final decision.  :razorback:

Kevin

never too early for a ba thread. looking forward to 7 months of this discussion.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 05, 2015, 10:45:09 am
You made some really good points! This is where the opposite side should give an example of a receiver that BA had to throw to that was on par with Anthony Lucas.....crickets

Henry, Derby and Hatcher are all good receivers and imo are his equal.

Still amazes me it is OK to bash the receivers, OL, RB's and nothing gets done with the thread... a few more misgivings about BA's inability to complete 3rd down passes, hit open receivers deep down the field or stay healthy and this thread will be locked... surprised the couple of the remarks already about him have not done the trick.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 05, 2015, 11:40:48 am
Henry, Derby and Hatcher are all good receivers and imo are his equal.

Still amazes me it is OK to bash the receivers, OL, RB's and nothing gets done with the thread... a few more misgivings about BA's inability to complete 3rd down passes, hit open receivers deep down the field or stay healthy and this thread will be locked... surprised the couple of the remarks already about him have not done the trick.

Is it bashing a player to say he is just not as fast as some other player, or maybe not as physical at the LOS?

None of those three have the combo of size and speed that Lucas had.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2015, 11:42:42 am
Is it bashing a player to say he is just not as fast as some other player, or maybe not as physical at the LOS?

None of those three have the combo of size and speed that Lucas had.

Can't get seperation, has no open receivers to throw to, he'll be better when he has receivers that can get open, are faster, stronger can catch,  etc... is not the same as what you just posted.... it's a defense of one while  blaming others..

as for Lucas, he was a great Hog but he was all Clint had... BA has more weapons to throw to than Clint, in my opinion..

Pork Twain

Clint had...
RB: Chukwuma
RB: Cobbs
WR: Lucas
WR: Smith
WR: Williams
WR/TE: Boo Williams
TE: Joe Dean

Smith and Williams were no scrubs and Boo and Joe Dean were solid as well.  Lets not recreate history here.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2015, 11:57:24 am
Clint had...

Smith and Williams were no scrubs and Boo and Joe Dean were solid as well.  Lets not recreate history here.

I'm not saying they were bad, tho it seems that's what you wanted to hear....

IMO, the crew last year is as good/better than these.

It's others saying BA had no help and I'm pointing out that to me, he has just as much as Clint.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2015, 11:57:24 am
Clint had...

Eubanks too, at least for 97 and I thought 98.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

JBoroHog

My greatest hope is that Enos buries Chaney's favorite play and we never see it again: the Allen Roll Right Throw Into Stands ™.

PonderinHog

Kevin

Quote from: JBoroHog on February 05, 2015, 12:26:39 pm
My greatest hope is that Enos buries Chaney's favorite play and we never see it again: the Allen Roll Right Throw Into Stands ™.

me too
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: JBoroHog on February 05, 2015, 12:26:39 pm

I was waiting for that one

I may, for kicks, rewatch all the games and count how many times he did that, come up with 56% completion rate for the final number, and factor the yards/completion percentage to see what I get.
This is my non-signature signature.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 05, 2015, 12:28:48 pm
I was waiting for that one

I may, for kicks, rewatch all the games and count how many times he did that, come up with 56% completion rate for the final number, and factor the yards/completion percentage to see what I get.
Are your seats that good ???

Pork Twain

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 05, 2015, 12:05:08 pm

It's others saying BA had no help and I'm pointing out that to me, he has just as much as Clint.
That's why I did not quote you, it was a general statement.

No way in the world what we had last year was equal.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

tampahog

I just hope we can stay as healthy on offense as we were this year.   

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2015, 12:47:05 pm
That's why I did not quote you, it was a general statement.

No way in the world what we had last year was equal.

I disagree..

Wilson
Corneliues
AJ Derby
Henry
Hatcher
Hollister
Collins
Williams

will match up very well with the list you gave....

Pork Twain

RB/TE, yes WR no, but at least you included all our WR this year.  I only included the ones that had at least 300 yards receiving for Clint.

nchogg

Their are 2 things that I want to see happen. BA's completion ratio improves, his interception ratio is the same or better.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 05, 2015, 12:05:08 pm

You're not looking at competition.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 05, 2015, 11:20:38 am
I'm gonna give BA one more season.  If he doesn't deliver, he's out.  This is my final decision.  :razorback:
This^^^  I don't care how much love I showed him. If he doesn't produce this season, then not only should he not be the starter, he shouldn't even be on the team for the 2016 season!
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Hogfan1660

Stoerner was a good QB when he was here but he never had to face the defenses like BAMA, LSU, USCe etc every year. He would be average at best in today's SEC IMO.

hawginbigd1

BA was average last year, he must improve and I believe our OC will make that happen. He does need to stop predetermining where he is going with the ball before the snap and staring down his receivers! He doesn't do well going through a progression. To be highly successful you have to be over 60% completions in today's game.

Sorry folks but WR talent is or was not our problem in the passing game, it was our below average pass protection ability mostly. The reason for all of the rollout flood routes to one side of the field that would result in many thrown away balls. Usually would result in 2 receivers against 5 defenders, Jerry rice isn't getting open very often in that scenario. We had both tackles and a guard that don't currently have the athletic ability to be good pass blockers.

Chaney is gone and I am glad, however someone talking about Henry and not ever running the slant like gronkowski, uh well the games I watched they probably did it at least a dozen times, soooo?.?

JIHawg

Great OP, Poppa Tart.

What I'd like to add-I see us using tight ends more that anybody else in the country, because we have so many with great talent.  I can see 2 or 3 tight ends being in the game on passing downs.  Hopefully, we will get some mismatches with our 250 pound tight ends going against 180 pound corners and safeties, or slow backers.

Tusks

So BA is going to have a cup of coffee in the league and actually start some games....cool.

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on February 05, 2015, 07:06:21 pm
Stoerner was a good QB when he was here but he never had to face the defenses like BAMA, LSU, USCe etc every year. He would be average at best in today's SEC IMO.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hawg66

presidenthog

I'm baffled by some of the things that some of you guys think. Brandon is fine and he will be better next season. 5 Ints will be tough to beat honestly. But if he throws somewhere between 28-30 tds and throws like 6-8 Ints with something between 2500-2700 yards I think most of us will call that improvement as long as he gets close to a 60% cmp percent. That would be good enough improvement to call him a damn good quarterback with our style and if he gets those kinds of #s with a same to better running game, which I think he will or will be close to. We will have a really good offense. The line just has to get better with pass protection.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

IMO, Brandon Allen has reached his peak this year. Doesn't matter whether our receivers improve or not, when he is frequently overthrowing open WRs. Can't always blame the receivers route running/separation when BA's accuracy is actually to blame. I'm also concerned at times with his arm strength and mechanics under duress.

Big Nasty 34

Coach Enos specifically said he wants BAs completion percentage above 60. That would help for sure.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawg66 on February 05, 2015, 09:26:30 pm
Wow!

Lucas is better than Hatcher and IMO it's not close.

Hunter is better than Joe Dean who played several years in the NFL.

Boo played TE in the NFL and I would say he atleast on par with Derby if not better.

elksnort

BA has improved each year for sure.  I've seen him make some very nice throws. If our defense can over come the loss of Flowers, Philon and Spaight, it will continue to aid our offense.

What I have yet to see, is BA leading our offense on a late 4th quarter comeback. The circumstances might not have allowed for this this past season. 
Again, I'm not saying he can't do this, I just don't recall seeing it. 

Hog N Bama

I just want to see the deep ball threat return

Hawgzinbowlz

Brandon Allen : Senior
...Enos has history moving to a new environment with a senior quarterback. In 2006, he joined his alma mater, Michigan State, as the quarterbacks coach and mentored Drew Stanton, who earned team MVP honors after accounting for 2,252 total yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior. Following the season, Stanton was selected by the Detroit Lions in the second round of the NFL Draft.

In 2004, Enos became the quarterbacks coach at Cincinnati and inherited senior quarterback Gino Guidugli. He helped Guidugli finish his career as the school's all-time leading passer with 11,453 career yards, including 2,633 passing yards and 26 passing touchdowns as a senior...
https://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1728049

BA has improved each and every year, and this year should be more of the same.

" GO HOGS "

HoggyStyle07

Quote from: Poppa Tart on February 05, 2015, 05:36:32 pm
This^^^  I don't care how much love I showed him. If he doesn't produce this season, then not only should he not be the starter, he shouldn't even be on the team for the 2016 season!

Man I hope y'all are both being sarcastic. Considering BA is a Senior
#BeUncommon #WPS

HOGINTENNESSEE

Break & Run

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2015, 10:32:48 am
So you want him to cut off half the field for play action? Okay.

To run that slant, the receiver has to be able to fight off and jams at the LOS. Hog receivers are terrible at this. They get man handled at the LOS.

Can't remember exactly, but Allen was not very successful on those plays bc he had to twist his body around to get set. Against SEC defenses, he didn't exactly have time to do so; therefore, he was throwing out of bounds most of the time. Eliminate what never works.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: HoggyStyle07 on February 06, 2015, 04:02:08 pm
Man I hope y'all are both being sarcastic. Considering BA is a Senior
You google that all by yourself?   Yes we were both being sarcastic.   ;)
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

hoghiker

I watch Hog games with a set of regulars. The general consensus on Allen is pretty simple. He is decent college quarterback but doesn't have a great play in him. I've argued both sides of this assessment over the course of the last two years but when's all said and done, it seems pretty accurate to me.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Hog N Bama on February 06, 2015, 03:17:52 pm
I just want to see the deep ball threat return
With JoJo  and DReed coming, IMO it will.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

tusksincolorado

Guys...Brandon Allen wins by a mile in this discussion!

Hell...Clint was coached by the infamous "Monkey with a whistle"!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Lake City Hog

The sheer stupidity of some of the posts in this thread is overwhelming!
In the Super Bowl one of the greatest QB's in NFL history threw 2 interceptions because he was put under stress by the defense. In the playoffs a week or two earlier another guy that will go down as one of the greatest flopped like a fish out of water. He had an injury and it affected his ability to perform.

I am in no way comparing BA to Brady or Manning, I'm just pointing out that QB's under duress make mistakes and injured players seldom perform up to par. BA had to contend with the pass rush most of the season and in some cases it caused him to miss open receivers. His injury against OM really showed up in the 2nd half of the Missouri game. He played his guts out throughout 2013 with an injury that should have kept him out all year.

For a lot of you it needs to be understood that playing in a REAL game is actually nothing like Madden. If it was actually that easy some of you could be out there.

Brandon Allen performed as well and even better than we could have expected given the circumstances of our season. With a real QB coach to teach him, an OC that better fits the system and an improving OL I expect a better season in 2105. You should too.

hoghiker

Quote from: Lake City Hog on February 08, 2015, 09:34:21 am
The sheer stupidity of some of the posts in this thread is overwhelming!
In the Super Bowl one of the greatest QB's in NFL history threw 2 interceptions because he was put under stress by the defense. In the playoffs a week or two earlier another guy that will go down as one of the greatest flopped like a fish out of water. He had an injury and it affected his ability to perform.

I am in no way comparing BA to Brady or Manning, I'm just pointing out that QB's under duress make mistakes and injured players seldom perform up to par. BA had to contend with the pass rush most of the season and in some cases it caused him to miss open receivers. His injury against OM really showed up in the 2nd half of the Missouri game. He played his guts out throughout 2013 with an injury that should have kept him out all year.

For a lot of you it needs to be understood that playing in a REAL game is actually nothing like Madden. If it was actually that easy some of you could be out there.

Brandon Allen performed as well and even better than we could have expected given the circumstances of our season. With a real QB coach to teach him, an OC that better fits the system and an improving OL I expect a better season in 2105. You should too.
Most of us are hoping you are right. I know I am.

Pig In The City

I will support that BA does not have good field vision.  I will support that our offense as a whole was fairly atrocious.  Things have to get better because they can't get much worse.

UA1985

Quote from: Wahls on February 04, 2015, 10:10:07 pm
Forget all the tools, forget the short passes, forget scheme, forget all that.

Last year, they would show replay after replay of Arkansas wide receivers open, and BA not even close to looking at them. Almost every replay, you'd see someone with good separation, which would result in a BA checkdown or an out route. This was exasperated by Chaney's sophomoric play calling.

The question, above all else that will determine our offensive success:

Can Enos teach BA to see the entire field? And if he can't, does Bielema have the guts to put someone in there who can, over BA?

Amen. BA is not comfortable throwing to a receiver unless he is wide open. He needs to learn how to scan the field and anticipate where a receiver will be open, before he's open, then throw to that spot. As long as he insists on waiting to see that a receiver is wide open, he's not going to give defenses any reason to fear our passing game.  Opposing defenses have no fear that he will beat them deep. That, of course, allows them to load-up against the run.

BA excels at limiting interceptions, but that comes at a huge cost: limiting long pass completions and giving the defense the luxury of not worrying about the pass and loading up to stop our running game.

chitwnhog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 07, 2015, 10:09:25 am
Guys...Brandon Allen wins by a mile in this discussion!

Hell...Clint was coached by the infamous "Monkey with a whistle"!

Clint was coached by Joe Ferguson.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Break & Run on February 05, 2015, 10:23:17 am
Our offense will be better if Enos does two things.

No longer uses Allen on a play action bootleg to the left.

And if he implements the slant route that NE uses with Gronk with Hunter Henry. That's a big time mismatch that I'm still shocked Chaney never used.

Amen for a former NFL guy He blew that one.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoggyStyle07

I think we'll see an improved Brandon Allen. The real question isn't about his production, it's about his health. If he stays healthy I believe we will see a more efficient, balanced attack.
#BeUncommon #WPS