Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Enos.............New Razorback Football OC

Started by Jeter_1, January 22, 2015, 09:32:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 22, 2015, 10:16:40 am
He ticked my #1 want and that is someone who has spent their career coaching QBs

Except he hasn't spent his entire career coaching QB's.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogfanssay on January 22, 2015, 10:14:39 am
Bielema could hire the Jr. High coach from Mena and half of you idiots would "love the hire" just because Bielema made it. I don't think it's a bad hire but it's far from a home run.

That's not even funny.  Keep working...

swinesation

Watching the video of him, he seems to interact with his players the same way Bielema and the rest of his staff do. He takes care of business, but has fun doing it. He likes his players and his players like him. I imagine that's a big part of what Bielema looks for in a coach. Then he looks at the style of football they promote, their ability to teach & recruit. Enos seems like he has all the things Bielema was looking for.

I also like that he's pretty young and fit. You don't want to have too many older fat guys on a coaching staff. :)

Deep Shoat

Bielema could hire the Jr. High coach from Mena and half of you idiots would "love the hire" just because Bielema made it. I don't think it's a bad hire but it's far from a home run.
Let's see. A mid major HC who runs a dynamic pro style O and understands CBBs philosophy and has a history as a really good recruiter.  What, exactly, is not to love?

I bet you wanted an air raid guy, or a spread option disciple, didn't you?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Amityvillehogger

Didn't take long for Wikipedia to change.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Chief Mac

considering a lot of people on here, myself included, bashed the hiring of Smith last year, most are inclined to think Bielema may just know what he is doing when hiring/firing assistants
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

All Bleed Red

additional stats from CMU - Balance running/passing stats (in yards):

2010-  1270 Rushing/ 3400 Passing
2011-  1389 Rushing/ 3290 Passing
2012-  1952 Rushing/ 3170 Passing
2013-  1593 Rushing/ 2500 Passing
2014-  2000 Rushing/ 3157 Passing

Seems pretty balanced with a lean on passing yards.  It would seem to blend really well with Coach B's style.  Not sure how much he had to do with play calling vs. the offensive coordinator, but his numbers should give indication of his style. 

:razorback: :razorback: GOOO HOOOGSS!!!!  :razorback: :razorback:

rljjr

Wow. You're an internet tough guy. Does it make you feel like a big man to call people idiots? I'm really impressed with your football knowledge and your pedigree. We can all only hope to soak up your intelligence.

Amityvillehogger

He just hired a D1 head coach to be our OC. How is it not at least a stand up triple?
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Hoggish1

Quote from: swinesation on January 22, 2015, 10:20:21 am
Watching the video of him, he seems to interact with his players the same way Bielema and the rest of his staff do. He takes care of business, but has fun doing it. He likes his players and his players like him. I imagine that's a big part of what Bielema looks for in a coach. Then he looks at the style of football they promote, their ability to teach & recruit. Enos seems like he has all the things Bielema was looking for.

I also like that he's pretty young and fit. You don't want to have too many older fat guys on a coaching staff. :)

!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawg66 on January 22, 2015, 10:14:01 am
Central Michigan was 8th nationally in time of possession, sounds like BB's kind of man.  He also has developed some QB's, which is needed.

Bingo, when researching possible OC candidates I went straight to TOP to see how they did knowing if they were sub 30 guys they wouldn't fit. 

If you are 8th nationally that means long sustained drives that will wear the other team out.  Couple that with our D and should lead to some success.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tim Harris

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 10:19:54 am

When he has been an assistant all but a couple years were as a QB coach.

Hawgndaaz

I like the video of Central Michigan revealing their bowl to the team. reaction is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOjiHTcgGc

trashcan maN

He's spent 17/21 years of his coaching career coaching QBs.

LRHawg

Quote from: hogfanssay on January 22, 2015, 10:00:23 am
We will all hate him in about 8 months.
Quote from: hogfanssay on January 22, 2015, 10:02:50 am
So his offenses were middle of the pack or worse in the MAC? Fantastic.

Tell us how you really feel.

younghog

Quote from: Smokehouse on January 22, 2015, 09:44:46 am
I like this hire better than any of the names that were being thrown around.

U2

I JUST LOVE IT
GO HOGS

GolfnHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2015, 09:49:11 am
Because it isn't sexy enough for some, it appears to me to be a good hire, hopefully it turns out like Robb Smith and is a great hire.

This is precisely what I anticipate and all  Hogs will be happy.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

RazorPiggie

I'd say 12+ years is enough.

RazorOkie

This is a good look at Enos' style, I like it! pound the rock. WPS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHYIaAjGm7s

Huckleberry Pig

Actually think I may like this hire than any of the names thrown around.  Really checks all the boxes:

A great/proven QB coach, which was almost priority number 1 for me.

Ran a great offense at CMU (see Wildhog's post on offensive stats the last few years) and one that seems to be a much better fit with CBB than Chaney was.

Appears to be a very good recruiter.  Liked the post from the MSU board and the fact he was the National Recruiter of the year previously.  Also appears to have done a good job pulling talent to a school that would normally have a difficult time getting it.  He might not have the ties in S. FL I was hoping for but we obviously have several on staff that do, maybe they get the door open for him and Enos can go in and close the deal. 

Also like that he is young/energetic and from a blue collar background.  Like someone mentioned above, that seems to be CBB's MO (Smith and Segrest) and I'm a fan.

came from left field but this appears to be a fantastic hire on paper.  WPS and welcome aboard Enos!  :razorback:

PorkRinds

I like the hire.  I think it'll mesh well, plus he's young and energetic. 

popcornhog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 10:02:08 am
He was one of MSU's best recruiters, but his recruiting territory is pretty exclusively Michigan.

Not that I really care about his recruiting.

It gives us insight and possible access to a new state.

Michigan isn't Florida, Texas, or California, but they produce a lot of talent.
WPS

BearsBisonsBoars

So he was QB coach under JLS at Michigan State in 2006

FWIW  :P

Inhogswetrust

And the other idiot half would "hate the hire" just because Bielema made it no matter what......See how easy that is.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 22, 2015, 10:23:50 am
I like the video of Central Michigan revealing their bowl to the team. reaction is great

The highest rated comment was gold as well:

"how pissed would you be if you went to central michigan and missed out on the bahamas and had to go to detriot. lol

i was hoping for detroit. woulda been an epic troll job"
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 10:02:08 am
He was one of MSU's best recruiters, but his recruiting territory is pretty exclusively Michigan.

Not that I really care about his recruiting.

Was my initial thought as far as recruiting territory.  That said, maybe we can use our existing ties in S. FL and Texas to get the door open and have Enos come in and close the deal.  The post from the MSU board mentioned him being a great closer.

popcornhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2015, 10:29:19 am
And the other idiot half would "hate the hire" just because Bielema made it no matter what......See how easy that is.

Haha.

+1
WPS

CDBHawg

20/24 years he has.

bigbadhog

Quote from: opineonswine on January 22, 2015, 10:18:37 am
Excellent!  Both those games they were 50/50 run/pass.

I doubt we ever see 50/50 under BB I do like the hire so far.  Not real sexy but should be good with QBs and WRs which we really need.  Getting KJ to the "Hill" will be his first test...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

ldfergu

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2015, 10:17:36 am
wonder if he will coach from the sidelines or the booth

I'd guess sidelines since he's the QB coach also

Pig In The City

Hoping he can finally create second half offense!

Nosboar Accubond

I like the hire...  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

Jek Tono Porkins

I think this hire was mostly about developing QB's.

Bielema has a plan on offense and it's not going to change based on the offensive coordinator. Arkansas is going to run the ball with an efficient passing game that results in sustained drives and scores when they get to the red zone. That plan is not going to change.

Look at what Bielema said in the press release: "We are thrilled to have Coach Enos joining us in Fayetteville," said Bielema. "Dan is a great fit for our program. He runs a pro-style offense and brings expertise at the quarterback position as both a player and coach. We played against each other in college and he was a very intelligent and talented quarterback who showed great toughness and leadership. He has an outstanding reputation and will be a tremendous asset for Razorback football."

This was about QB's. Brandon Allen is going to learn a lot from this guy.

Jim Chaney, bless his heart, wrote checks with his playcalling that his quarterbacking coaching couldn't cash.

In conclusion, I don't think we're going to see much of a change with playcalling or scheme, but I do think we will see much improved quarterback play.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 22, 2015, 10:23:50 am

THAT was great!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HouSwine

Well done CBB! Kind of makes a statement to that new coach at Mich.....what's his name. I wouldn't mine pulling a few 4*s out of Mich/Detroit

Pork Twain

Another smooth hire by CBB
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Tim Harris

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on January 22, 2015, 10:32:44 am
I'd guess sidelines since he's the QB coach also

Quite a few OC\QB coaches are in the box.  Just depends on his personal preference.

LRRandy

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 22, 2015, 10:34:26 am
I think this hire was mostly about developing QB's.

Bielema has a plan on offense and it's not going to change based on the offensive coordinator. Arkansas is going to run the ball with an efficient passing game that results in sustained drives and scores when they get to the red zone. That plan is not going to change.

Look at what Bielema said in the press release: "We are thrilled to have Coach Enos joining us in Fayetteville," said Bielema. "Dan is a great fit for our program. He runs a pro-style offense and brings expertise at the quarterback position as both a player and coach. We played against each other in college and he was a very intelligent and talented quarterback who showed great toughness and leadership. He has an outstanding reputation and will be a tremendous asset for Razorback football."

This was about QB's. Brandon Allen is going to learn a lot from this guy.

Jim Chaney, bless his heart, wrote checks with his playcalling that his quarterbacking coaching couldn't cash.

In conclusion, I don't think we're going to see much of a change with playcalling or scheme, but I do think we will see much improved quarterback play.
i think you're exactly right. This hire while not sexy with name recognition, as has been mentioned, could be exactly what Arkansas needs. Great hire.
This is fun, isn't it.

AugustaHog

I like the hire.  Reminds me a ton of the Robb Smith hire last year.  This was completely out of nowhere.  He's a young, passionate guy that has shown the ability to recruit talented guys to come play for him.  I think it has a ton of potential.

razobak

My first reaction was "WHO?"

My current reaction is "I can't wait for August!!"
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Kevin

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 22, 2015, 10:19:17 am
I wondered the same thing.  Being as he has been on the sidelines for several years as the HC I could see him staying down there.  That would make a lot of people happy having the QB coach on the sideline.

one of those is me. just did not like our qb coming of the field and seeing a GA
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bigbadhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2015, 10:29:19 am

I certainly lean that way but think this is a pretty decent hire...

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 22, 2015, 10:06:18 am
I thought we didn't like guys who wore visors.

You do know Bret wears them at practice?

dhizzle

Found this on CMU scout board. An Arkansas fan asked what we where getting in Enos.

"He's a very boring, vanilla playcaller, which may work for you guys given your personnel, but it certainly doesn't work for a non-P5 school.  If the TE reverse makes it into your playbook, I'm sure you'll blow gasket every time it's ran."

I thought it was funny because everyone hated the TE reverse Chaney called for Derby.

jjdlc

Quote from: Jrankin on January 22, 2015, 09:53:03 am
26-36 at CMU...

A big chunk of those losses were probably to high P5 schools that Central Michigan was paid to be beat up by.

Still, as a HC, his record probably wasn't going to get him a HC job at a P5 school, so going to a P5 OC position is the next logical step.

Quote from: All Bleed Red on January 22, 2015, 10:21:11 am
additional stats from CMU - Balance running/passing stats (in yards):

2010-  1270 Rushing/ 3400 Passing
2011-  1389 Rushing/ 3290 Passing
2012-  1952 Rushing/ 3170 Passing
2013-  1593 Rushing/ 2500 Passing
2014-  2000 Rushing/ 3157 Passing

Seems pretty balanced with a lean on passing yards.  It would seem to blend really well with Coach B's style.  Not sure how much he had to do with play calling vs. the offensive coordinator, but his numbers should give indication of his style. 

:razorback: :razorback: GOOO HOOOGSS!!!!  :razorback: :razorback:

Look at this...

In terms of run vs. pass plays, he is pretty close to 50/50.  Which is important to CBB.  Looking at your stats, it seems like they were able to pass when they needed to, so hopefully he can replicate that success here.

bigbadhog

Quote from: trashcan maN on January 22, 2015, 10:38:05 am
We threw for 2400+ and rushed for 2800+. That's 56/44. Are you looking for an exact 50/50 split?

Glad you like the hire so far. I remember you making everyone miserable on here when BB was hired.

I still don't like him but trying to make the best of it...

Tim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2015, 10:46:10 am
You do know Bret wears them at practice?

Yes I'm well aware.  It was meant to be a joke.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogfanssay on January 22, 2015, 10:47:55 am
You'll agree with me next year that this wasn't a home run hire. I don't hate it, but most of you didn't even know who Dan Enos was until a couple of hours ago and all of a sudden the guy is a top notch OC? Give me a break.

You mad, bro?

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 22, 2015, 10:17:09 am

You're lying  ;)

I actually couldn't give half a rip about Coordinators' recruiting. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: hogfanssay on January 22, 2015, 10:47:55 am
You'll agree with me next year that this wasn't a home run hire. I don't hate it, but most of you didn't even know who Dan Enos Robb Smith was until a couple of hours ago and all of a sudden the guy is a top notch OC DC? Give me a break.
This was the exact same thing that most of the board said about Robb Smith a year ago.

Oh ye of little faith.