Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are Gators the best SEC rep to take on Harbaugh and Michigan in an opener?

Started by jbcarol, August 31, 2017, 05:20:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

While the starting quarterback is settled, the running back position is now up in the air after coach JimMcElwain announced Wednesday that starter Jordan Scarlett is suspended indefinitely.

QuoteThis came just a day after Scarlett met with reporters after practice and hours after McElwain praised Scarlett on the SEC coaches teleconference. In Scarlett's absence, Florida will rely on its stable of running backs behind him on the depth chart, including sophomore Lamical Perine, redshirt senior Mark Thompson, and true freshmen Malik Davis and Adarius Lemons.

McElwain finally revealed his starting quarterback for the season opener against Michigan, and it's redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks, who won the job over Luke Del Rio and Malik Zaire. Here's what McElwain had to say on the decision:

"I think the big thing is the whole body of work from spring on. Him being there, being a part of it, I think he was a little bit ahead, and you know what, he deserves it. He's done a really good job. Not to say the other guys didn't. There's still a little bit there obviously with [a] late start on the injury [Del Rio] and obviously the late start getting here in the middle of the summer (Zaire)."

Leading returning rusher and receiver are suspended
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

No. 17 Gators prepare for their season opener with No. 11 Michigan on Saturday.

The spate of Florida suspensions, now numbering 10 and including star running back Jordan Scarlett and wide receiver Antonio Callaway, has not diminished the build-up and excitement for this game.

QuoteI believe Jim McElwain was surprised to learn Wednesday that Scarlett was caught up in the ordeal. Florida had made Scarlett available to reporters after practice the day before, which it wouldn't have done if it knew or thought this was a possibility. Nor would McElwain have praised him on the SEC coaches teleconference Wednesday morning as he did. So if it could be blindsided by the involvement of one of their biggest stars then anything is possible. With the police looking into this, it would not be a surprise to see more names trickle out and the scope of this situation grow. There are more questions than answers, but I'd be surprised if this blows over quickly.

"What's the team vibe going to be with all of this off-the-field nonsense?"

Answer: That is THE question. We won't know until Saturday, but I don't expect the dark cloud of the suspensions to have any further impact on the players who will be on the field. The impact is the Gators not having their two best offensive playmakers, and that might be all it takes to swing this game to Michigan's favor.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Score predictions for the Florida Gators' season opener against Michigan

QuoteZach Abolverdi: Florida has enough playmakers to pull through
I expect Randy Shannon's unit to outplay Michigan defense. Gators, 27-17

Jordan McPherson: Suspensions make season opener an uphill climb for Florida
Ultimately, though, I think Michigan will pull away with a 17-10 win.

Ryan Young: Losing Jordan Scarlett is the difference maker
Can Florida win? Of course. Michigan has questions of its own with only one defensive starter back and a rebuilt offensive line. But the reasons to pick the Gators took a hit Wednesday. I'll say Michigan 20-17, but I won't be surprised if that score is flipped

Florida opened +3 and are currently listed at +4.5 to +5.5 after this week's suspensions

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson‏Verified account @osgators 49m49 minutes ago

McElwain's teams fall to 3-8 against Top 25 competition, including two losses to Michigan by a combined score of 74-24.

jbcarol

jbcarol