Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tommy Tuberville - NWA TD Club

Started by The_Iceman, October 25, 2017, 03:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

He was at the NWA Touchdown Club today. Almost sounded like he was campaigning for the AD job. He said being an AD was something he was interested in.

After listening to him, I could see him being a good AD. He is well connected and has an overall good mind for things. He did make a comment about needing to keep a game in Little Rock, but also mentioned moving the Spring Game there which is a great idea.

Any thoughts?

Inhogswetrust

If he gets the AD job will he be allowed to keep slapping coaches?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Justifiable Hogicide

TT would be an excellent choice for our AD.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 03:47:06 pm
If he gets the AD job will he be allowed to keep slapping coaches?

One can only hope.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Tusks

I don't know.  I'd like to go to the professional ranks and get a GM type out of one of the leagues.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkRyan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2017, 03:43:20 pm
He was at the NWA Touchdown Club today. Almost sounded like he was campaigning for the AD job. He said being an AD was something he was interested in.

After listening to him, I could see him being a good AD. He is well connected and has an overall good mind for things. He did make a comment about needing to keep a game in Little Rock, but also mentioned moving the Spring Game there which is a great idea.

Any thoughts?

I came away with the exact same thought that he was campaigning for the AD job.

The Hawg Marshal

For some reason I just can't stand that guy.

010HogFan

He would be better for the program than Jeff Long for one big reason. He is an Arkansan.

AirWarren

phadedhawg

Okay, which one of you clown went and updated his wiki page?

phadedhawg

Took a screenshot bc I'm sure someone will be along to fix it shortly

Dwight_K_Shrute

If he would have thrown something about bringing Coke back I'm sure the crowd would have erupted, carried him off on their shoulders and elected him the de facto AD right then and there.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 25, 2017, 04:24:20 pm
If he would have thrown something about bringing Coke back I'm sure the crowd would have erupted, carried him off on their shoulders and elected him the de facto AD right then and there.

Down to Dickson St and propped up against the Swinging Doors?

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 25, 2017, 04:17:05 pm
For some reason I just can't stand that guy.

I'm with ya.  And I'm sure it sounded like he was campaigning for the job because Tuberville is ALWAYS campaigning for a job.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Danny J

I really liked his comments in regards to sometimes it not always about the money. I took it to mean it's ok to listen to fan concerns such as ticket prices, fan experience and listening to what the fans want. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on October 25, 2017, 04:34:32 pm
I really liked his comments in regards to sometimes it not always about the money. I took it to mean it's ok to listen to fan concerns such as ticket prices, fan experience and listening to what the fans want.

When he briefly mentioned moving the Spring Game, I thought that was a fantastic idea. The whole fan day with the kids and autographs would be great in the WMS atmosphere. Have the Spring Game and then have a concert or something after to keep fans there and engaged.

It would do more to connect the hogs to the southern part of the state than an actual game, imo.

Redhogs

Coaching Auburn soured me on TT....right or wrong.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hogarusa

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 25, 2017, 04:17:58 pm
He would be better for the program than Jeff Long for one big reason. He is an Arkansan.

He may be better for many reasons, having lived in Arkansas would be far down the list. Nebraska fans seem to have this same type of thought process
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogwild

If Tuberville did become AD, any chance he would hire the man he replaced in Lubbock? He doubt has a unique look at how Leach ran his program. 

factchecker

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 25, 2017, 04:17:58 pm
He is an Arkansan.

Yep..... our greatest athletic director, the man who built the Razorbacks, Frank Broyles was an Arkansa- Oh, wait.... he was from Georgia.

I understand maybe wanting a former Razorback or an alumnus because you want someone who has a connection to the university.  However, being born within the state lines of Arkansas doesn't give you some inherit gift to be the athletic director at The University of Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tusks

Quote from: Danny J on October 25, 2017, 04:34:32 pm

Well then I'd bet he'd be a candidate for the job at $250K/year.

factchecker

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 04:46:41 pm
Well then I'd bet he'd be a candidate for the job at $250K/year.

That's awesome.

People like to talk about cutting costs but very few would take a pay cut to do so.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Piggfoot

Some things you just don't do for money or for the lowest bid. Pepsi is a yankee drink.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

FutureMan

"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Hoggie17

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 04:42:45 pm
Yep..... our greatest athletic director, the man who built the Razorbacks, Frank Broyles was an Arkansa- Oh, wait.... he was from Georgia.

I understand maybe wanting a former Razorback or an alumnus because you want someone who has a connection to the university.  However, being born within the state lines of Arkansas doesn't give you some inherit gift to be the athletic director at The University of Arkansas.
Frank Broyles always wanted to coach the Hogs, he was turned down 1 or 2 times. He just kept coming back. Arkansas was his destination job.

PORKULATOR

the whole coke thing kills me. I could care less. Now, if we're mixing drinks at the game, OK... Then I'm picky and need coke for whiskey, cherry Dr pepper for vodka and 7up for blended/Canadian whiskey and cocktails... Also Ima need a gurney to haul me to the car... And a driver. Lol
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

WilsonHog

A few quotes from Tommy today:

"Arkansas needs to play a game in Little Rock. Don't regionalize your team. If you start cutting people off it makes it more difficult."

"If it wasn't for Little Rock games, I wouldn't be in football today. We didn't have youth football where I grew up."

"You're not going to out-coach anybody in the SEC. You'd better get players."

"You have to understand it starts with defense in the SEC. That's why most guys who have success have been defensive coaches."

"If you don't have a physical defense... You're going to have to outscore people, and eventually your offense isn't going to show up."

"I'm going to do something. Whether it's ESPN, or possibly being an athletic director, and I'm not going to rule out coaching."

"I want Arkansas to survive and be great like it once was."

That's campaignin' talk, boys.

PorkRinds

He'd probably take the job tomorrow.

seasonhog

Bringing Coke back........then winning would be at the top of his bucket list.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 25, 2017, 05:27:15 pm

"Arkansas needs to play a game in Little Rock. Don't regionalize your team. If you start cutting people off it makes it more difficult."

"If it wasn't for Little Rock games, I wouldn't be in football today. We didn't have youth football where I grew up."

"You have to understand it starts with defense in the SEC. That's why most guys who have success have been defensive coaches."

"If you don't have a physical defense... You're going to have to outscore people, and eventually your offense isn't going to show up."

"I'm going to do something. Whether it's ESPN, or possibly being an athletic director, and I'm not going to rule out coaching."

"I want Arkansas to survive and be great like it once was."

That's campaignin' talk, boys.

We could do a lot worse than Tommy!!!  I like his ideas.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

ricepig

Quote from: seasonhog on October 25, 2017, 05:43:08 pm

Bringing Coke back........then winning would be at the top of his bucket list.

That's a campus policy, probably going to need him to be Chancellor.

thebignasty

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 05:44:27 pm
That's a campus policy, probably going to need him to be Chancellor.

That contract probably is coming up soon.
But they win

bphi11ips

Was Tubberville asked to speak or did he apply?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 06:05:22 pm
Was Tubberville asked to speak or did he apply?

I don't know. Intriguing question, though.

ricepig

ChicoHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 25, 2017, 04:52:53 pm
Some things you just don't do for money or for the lowest bid. Pepsi is a yankee drink.
And a damn fine one at that!

hoglady

Quote from: Redhogs on October 25, 2017, 04:38:08 pm
Coaching Auburn soured me on TT....right or wrong.

Why - it's not like he spurned us for Auburn - we spurned him for Houston Nutt.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

thebignasty

But they win

snoblind

Doesn't Bo Mattingly line up the speakers?

Sure wish White hadn't screwed up him being our coach 19 years ago.

hoglady

Quote from: PORKULATOR on October 25, 2017, 05:22:43 pm
the whole coke thing kills me. I could care less. Now, if we're mixing drinks at the game, OK... Then I'm picky and need coke for whiskey, cherry Dr pepper for vodka and 7up for blended/Canadian whiskey and cocktails... Also Ima need a gurney to haul me to the car... And a driver. Lol

I get it - I'm a strictly Coke drinker.
Sometimes if I pull up to a drive through window if they don't have Coke I pull out and go somewhere else to eat.
At a sit down - I order a Coke (and verify it's not Pepsi) - if it is I just get water.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

thebignasty

But they win

hoglady

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 04:42:45 pm

Even though Broyles wasn't from here - we were his dream job.
I don't think you could have gotten him to leave here for any other job anywhere in the country.
And he did really understand and love the state.

Tusks

Umm someone tell Tommy, Steve Spurrier, Urban Myer, Les Myles, Phil Fulmer, Mark Ritch were all offensive guys.  Just to name a few.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 25, 2017, 04:57:19 pm
Frank Broyles always wanted to coach the Hogs, he was turned down 1 or 2 times. He just kept coming back. Arkansas was his destination job.

And he made it his home. BUT he was not from Arkansas at the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2017, 03:43:20 pm

Any thoughts?

It sounded to me like he was putting his foot in the door to be the next coach.   :)
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 25, 2017, 04:52:53 pm

You have no clue where Pepsi started do you? I'll give you a hint. My wife used to live there and she has never lived up north.

GoHogs1091

In a general sense he is somewhat correct about it starting with defense in the SEC, but he is not totally correct.

To be more specific though, there are a few positions that have to be elite.

An elite Quarterback
An elite Offensive Left Tackle
2 elite Defensive Tackles
An elite Middle Linebacker
An elite boundary side of the field Cornerback

Kevin Sumlin defeated Nick Saban in 2012 by having an elite QB and an elite Offensive Left Tackle.

Inhogswetrust

These are especially true.