Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tri Tip cook this weekend...

Started by PorkRinds, February 22, 2016, 05:53:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Did a tri tip this weekend on my primo ceramic cooker.  I've done them before, but never with such amazing results.  Thanks to pharmhog for giving me some pointers.  I basically rubbed it down, smoked it with pecan wood indirect until it got to 115.  Then took it off and cranked up the fire to 500 and seared it direct over the coals.  One of the best cooks I've ever done. 

PharmacistHog

That's a great lookin hunk of cow. I love cooking tri tips. Easy cook and usually have greatvresults. Nice work porkrinds.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 22, 2016, 05:53:05 pm
Did a tri tip this weekend on my primo ceramic cooker.  I've done them before, but never with such amazing results.  Thanks to pharmhog for giving me some pointers.  I basically rubbed it down, smoked it with pecan wood indirect until it got to 115.  Then took it off and cranked up the fire to 500 and seared it direct over the coals.  One of the best cooks I've ever done.
looks awesome.....look up Pappy's Seasoning, comes from California.  Everytime I buy one at Vons or Save Mart, that's what they use for a rub.

PP

PharmacistHog

Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 22, 2016, 06:50:45 pm
looks awesome.....look up Pappy's Seasoning, comes from California.  Everytime I buy one at Vons or Save Mart, that's what they use for a rub.

PP

I'll check it out.  This rub I used was fantastic though.  It had more of a prime rib flavor than a bbq flavor.  It basically tasted like a prime rib, but at a fraction of the cost.  The whole fam raved about it, even my 5 year old.

acxken

I have been looking for tri-tip in Central Arkansas for what seems like forever. Harps carried them at one time, but they never seem to have them anymore. Does anyone know of a place to get them?
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: acxken on February 23, 2016, 09:32:00 am
I have been looking for tri-tip in Central Arkansas for what seems like forever. Harps carried them at one time, but they never seem to have them anymore. Does anyone know of a place to get them?

I usually get them from harps on highway 5. Havent bought one in a while though. If they dont have them out I usually would ask and they would have two or three in the cooler. They usually dont put them out until they trim them but I prefer them in the cryovac and trim myself.
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

Also think you can get them at sam's but they have to order them for you and you buy a whole case.
Millennials suck...

acxken

Thanks for the information. I will give both a try.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

HogCard

I can get them at Sam's without buying whole cases.  Usually come 2 to a pack.

acxken

Thanks, I will hit Sams this weekend.

PharmacistHog

I've never seen the two packs at sam's. Let us know if you find them, please.
Millennials suck...

DeltaBoy

Great looking Tri tip but can you cook one well done with out drying it out.  My Wife wants all her meat cooked Well Done.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 24, 2016, 08:39:39 am
Great looking Tri tip but can you cook one well done with out drying it out.  My Wife wants all her meat cooked Well Done.

You probably could take it further, but it may get a bit dry.  I would suggest maybe throwing a few pieces back on the grill for her after you've sliced it.  It won't be near as good, but it'll be more done!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 24, 2016, 08:42:35 am
You probably could take it further, but it may get a bit dry.  I would suggest maybe throwing a few pieces back on the grill for her after you've sliced it.  It won't be near as good, but it'll be more done!

Another trick (works for prime rib, too) is to have a pot of au jus simmering on the stove. For those who like theirs more done, just dunk their slice for few seconds before plating.
Millennials suck...

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 24, 2016, 08:42:35 am
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 24, 2016, 08:58:51 am
Another trick (works for prime rib, too) is to have a pot of au jus simmering on the stove. For those who like theirs more done, just dunk their slice for few seconds before plating.

Thank you gentlemen.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 24, 2016, 08:58:51 am

That's actually a way better idea.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 24, 2016, 09:29:11 am
That's actually a way better idea.

Thanks  we don't see Tri-tips much but I want to try one.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 24, 2016, 02:58:42 pm
Thanks  we don't see Tri-tips much but I want to try one.

They're cheap, really easy, and delicious.  It was basically a poor man's prime rib roast.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 24, 2016, 03:05:07 pm
They're cheap, really easy, and delicious.  It was basically a poor man's prime rib roast.

Thanks we watched a show about the Southern California Cattle Ranches and their San Gria (SP) Grills and they were cooking Tri Tips.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 24, 2016, 03:32:17 pm
Thanks we watched a show about the Southern California Cattle Ranches and their San Gria (SP) Grills and they were cooking Tri Tips.
Santa Maria Tri Tip......must have with any visit to Cali

PP

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 24, 2016, 05:00:11 pm
Santa Maria Tri Tip......must have with any visit to Cali

PP

That is what the wife said.

DDD

Quote from: HogCard on February 23, 2016, 02:06:46 pm
I can get them at Sam's without buying whole cases.  Usually come 2 to a pack.

Do you mind saying which Sam's. I have never seen them at the one in Jonesboro.

PorkRinds

Did another tri tip this weekend.  Did the cook the exact same way, but made sandwiches this time.  Kaiser roll, provolone cheese, caramelized onions, and creamy horseradish sauce.  Served with a side of broccoli salad.  Fantastic sandwich. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 07, 2016, 10:20:08 am
Did another tri tip this weekend.  Did the cook the exact same way, but made sandwiches this time.  Kaiser roll, provolone cheese, caramelized onions, and creamy horseradish sauce.  Served with a side of broccoli salad.  Fantastic sandwich. 

Looks really Good!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 07, 2016, 10:20:08 am
fricken meat of the Gods, hands down

PP

DeltaBoy

Next week is spring break at our school so I will be getting the Weber back out and online. Got to see the butcher at HEB about some Tri tip.