Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida looking at Stoops and Miles?

Started by jvanhorn, October 30, 2017, 11:12:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jvanhorn

Saw it on the Sporting News site.  I think Stoops is a dead end, but Miles might actually be a person of interest along with the Coach at Virginia Tech.  I am afraid the Coach at Memphis is not going to be around when Arkansas finally pulls its head out of its azz and gets to moving.  The other schools are not waiting around.

Ironhawg

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 30, 2017, 11:12:16 pm
Saw it on the Sporting News site.  I think Stoops is a dead end, but Miles might actually be a person of interest along with the Coach at Virginia Tech.  I am afraid the Coach at Memphis is not going to be around when Arkansas finally pulls its head out of its azz and gets to moving.  The other schools are not waiting around.

I have a gut feeling we have our coach for next year already. 

Iwastherein1969

Yeah, Leslie Miles would be on the first puddle jumper of a plane he could find if asked by the UF athletic director to interview for the job. There's one fatal flaw here, there is absolutely no way in hail that UF would want Leslie Miles 50 miles within their campus at Gainesville. Leslie's next head coaching job will be at a much less prestigious university, say, like Middle Tennessee St or Central Arkansas. Leslie's days of rocking a team as good as the LSU Tiger's onto the field are over, done, finished.

Stoops is not in great health and he doesn't need the pressure of a big time school nor even a small time college. Bob Stoops has enough money to live the rest of his life in the comfort of Somewhere, OK, get up at 10 am each morning, eat some freshly picked fruit for breakfast on his back porch overlooking a lake and then doing the rest of the day as he pleases.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

longpig

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 30, 2017, 11:22:47 pm

Same here, Jeffrey and Bert had that talk weeks ago and our next coach is locked up.

Don't be scared, be smart.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 30, 2017, 11:29:54 pm

Stoops is not in great health and he doesn't need the pressure of a big time school nor even a small time college. Bob Stoops has enough money to live the rest of his life in the comfort of Somewhere, OK, get up at 10 am each morning, eat some freshly picked fruit for breakfast on his back porch overlooking a lake and then doing the rest of the day as he pleases.

I think it was in another thread on here somebody said Oklahoma had a cardiologist on staff just for Stoops.  Sounds like that might not be too far fetched?

PharmacistHog

The only coaches that might not be around at the end of the season are the ones not currently coaching. Try being patient. Bielema won't be here next season.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on Yesterday at 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

gchamblee

Dude the season isn't even over yet and we still don't have a vacancy. WTH are you expecting us to do actually? If you think Bob Stoops is going to be coaching again, or take anyone seriously that says he is I really don't know what to tell you. You guys are emotional basket cases. You change your entire tone based on 1 game and then start freaking out of any article written by any journalist.

Remove your nose ring and stop being led around like cattle.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 31, 2017, 03:25:26 am
The only coaches that might not be around at the end of the season are the ones not currently coaching. Try being patient. Bielema won't be here next season.

You have more confidence in Jeffie than I do. He is recruiting Nolan and Kenny to sell us on year six now,

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

texas tush hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 31, 2017, 05:24:54 am
And as the world turns...Tennessee still has a Head Coach (at least for now) but the rumors are flying.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/coaching-rumors-tennessee-offered-jon-gruden-10-million-year-also-eyeing-bobby-petrino

Yeah but the wheels on the bus are turning and Ames, Iowa is the first and probably last stop from what I'm hearing.

It is my feeling that we will use the same Integrity that we used when hiring Bret.  Don't let the other school know you are hiring his coach.  That is the actual Integrity of the two fellows we currently have.

I highly suspect that Bret will be the HC here next season and if he can find a way, weak schedule, winning against highly injured teams, whatever to reach 6-6 in the 2018 season, he will be retained with an extension, pay raise and new buyout.

I keep harping about the system we have above the AD but you are watching it right now.  Other teams that have coaches not performing to desired level are on the move.  From a point of raw record, we have the most reasons to need to move on but the least desire.

MultipleScoreGasms

I'm thinking Mullen.  I know he says he is happy at State, and he probably is, but what else is he going to say at this point?  I'm guessing that if FL came calling, and brought the cash, he would go.  Unless he is concerned about the possibility of being handled the same as Mcelwain.  A Stoops possibility might be Mark Stoops.

(notOM)Rebel123

Just because you haven't heard anything, doesn't mean something isn't happening.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BR

They also have 7 other people on it... http://www.sportingnews.com/au/ncaa-football/news/florida-jim-mcelwain-replacements-chip-kelly-bob-stoops-matt-campbell-les-miles/1082ubf1buxo81r4iw03bqdhus
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hogwild

Florida has been trying to get Stoops since Spurrier retired.

I'm not sure Florida has the cash to get Justin Fuente.  He just signed a new deal that will pay him $25.9 million, not including performance and retention bonuses, that push him compensation close to $30 million.  Va Tech would also be owed a $6 million buyou.

sowmonella

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 30, 2017, 11:22:47 pm
You are exactly correct. His initials are BB. No changes until at least the end of next year.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jkstock04

This is pure clickbait. Even the sporting news website paints it in a doubtful light. Bob Stoops isn't going to be coaching next year.

Here's the deal...I know these high profile coaches lie their asses off to the camera when it comes to this stuff. Saban and Meyer are laughable stories. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say I believe Bob Stoops is done. These other guys...you can tell they are defensive and lying or just flat out FOS lying like Meyer. Stoops is serious when he says he's done.

We would only be so lucky if Florida would hire Les Miles. That would be perfect. In fact someone should start a fake website pretending to be a Florida fan and start a petition for hiring Les Miles. The last thing I want to see is them hire an offensive guru.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

go hogues

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 30, 2017, 11:29:54 pm
Leslie's next head coaching job will be at a much less prestigious university, say, like Middle Tennessee St or Central Arkansas. Leslie's days of rocking a team as good as the LSU Tiger's onto the field are over, done, finished.

Meh. I wouldn't be least bit surprised to see him introduced as Ole Miss' next HC.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Ironhawg

Quote from: go hogues on October 31, 2017, 08:45:52 am
Meh. I wouldn't be least bit surprised to see him introduced as Ole Miss' next HC.

Lester might actually not be a bad hire for Ole Mrs.  He could give them solid leadership while they pay their NCAA penalties.

sowmonella

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 31, 2017, 08:57:35 am
Lester might actually not be a bad hire for Ole Mrs.  He could give them solid leadership while they pay their NCAA penalties.

It wouldn't take him 24 hours to refer to them as the Black Sharks or the Land Rebels.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 31, 2017, 12:17:21 am
I think it was in another thread on here somebody said Oklahoma had a cardiologist on staff just for Stoops.  Sounds like that might not be too far fetched?

Stoops lives with the spectre of heart issues. He saw it kill his dad, and iirc some other relatives at fairly young ages. Even if he checks out ok at every checkup I can not believe the stress of coaching p5 football at a major power is good for the ticker.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BR

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 31, 2017, 10:49:02 am
You guys keep posting stuff about UA waiting around and that line of thinking is so flawed I can't help but respond.  What is "pulling their head out of their azz and get moving?" 

How many times in the last 50 years has an outside employed coach been named to a new job prior to Dec 1 at what is now known as P5 schools?  The answer is NEVER!

Do any of you really think the hot candidates are just going to jump on the first offer?  Why would they?  The hot candidates are going to wait til after the season to see what schools are looking for a new coach, use competing schools to leverage their position, and choose the best situation. 

I find it hard to believe people keep making these, "we need to get moving on a new hire" posts.  How many of you bought the first house you looked at or the first car you saw?  How many of you used current employment and salary to negotiate a salary with a new company?  Why does anyone think these employed coaches are any different?

Even if one of these employed coaches want the FL job, they will still wait til the end of the season to leverage the best situation they can get.  One thing is for sure, whoever take the FL gig will have a HUGE buyout clause attached!

One more question, does anyone on this board really want a coach who is negotiating or advising his agent on what he wants from another school while he's still coaching his current team?
Maybe need to rethink that slick..... Virginia Tech named Justin Fuente its head coach on November 29, 2015,

Grizzlyfan

In our BB thread it was stated that no coach currently have a successful season would quit to take the Arkansas job if Bielema were to be fired mid-season.

What about florida?  Would a coach quit their successful season to take the Florida job?  Arguably top 10 kind of college job?  Once in a lifetime opportunity for the some coaches?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 31, 2017, 01:47:00 pm
In our BB thread it was stated that no coach currently have a successful season would quit to take the Arkansas job if Bielema were to be fired mid-season.

What about florida?  Would a coach quit their successful season to take the Florida job?  Arguably top 10 kind of college job?  Once in a lifetime opportunity for the some coaches?
mid season, prolly not.  the day the season ends? yeah in a heart beat.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

crazyrazy

Florida wants OFFENSE -- won't hire Les Miles, as his inability to generate it got him fired at LSU.

hogsanity

Quote from: crazyrazy on October 31, 2017, 02:03:49 pm
Florida wants OFFENSE -- won't hire Les Miles, as his inability to generate it got him fired at LSU.

Florida reminds me of Nebraska. They were winning but envied what they saw others doing that was "exciting" and we have seen what has happened to them. Florida wants offense, but will they have the patience to let someone come in and build that offense, AND will they be okay with losing some games 49-44?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sowmonella

Quote from: BR on October 31, 2017, 01:01:13 pm
Maybe need to rethink that slick..... Virginia Tech named Justin Fuente its head coach on November 29, 2015,
Those 2 extra days make a lot of difference? Wow.

BR

DeltaBoy

The New AD at Tinner doesn't want to let Butch go.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

That was your first mistake.

jvanhorn

Quote from: hogsanity on October 31, 2017, 02:13:42 pm
Florida reminds me of Nebraska. They were winning but envied what they saw others doing that was "exciting" and we have seen what has happened to them. Florida wants offense, but will they have the patience to let someone come in and build that offense, AND will they be okay with losing some games 49-44?

LOL, well if all they are interested in is offense.  They should put in a call to Mike Leach.  He definitely knows how to build an offense, lol.