Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Norvell Campaign Feels a Little Like Nutt

Started by Hugo Bezdek, November 17, 2017, 06:09:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugo Bezdek

I know he doesn't have the Arkansas ties that Nutt has, but there's so much discussion on this board that paints the picture as Malzahn or Norvell. It feels a little like the Nutt propaganda machine (pre-Hogville of course). I don't get it. I don't necessarily have anything against Norvell. I think he's got high upside, but that could be said of several other candidates. Why do so many of these threads stop at Norvell? He's got two years as a head coach at a program that was already winning.

NuttinItUp

Shhh.... Don't bring a dose of reality to the Norvell-hypers and tell them he is unproven. They will jump all over you!

Hawginj

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 06:11:32 pm
Shhh.... Don't bring a dose of reality to the Norvell-hypers and tell them he is unproven. They will jump all over you!
lol like a Nutt would know what reality is.

bjeffersonhog

I think everyone is excited about the possibility of a high scoring offense.  Norvell fits that.  I think as long as the next coach brings that possibility there will be excitement regardless of who it is.   Norvell just happens to have ties to the state and appears like a real possibility so most people want to talk about him more.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on November 17, 2017, 06:18:36 pm
I think everyone is excited about the possibility of a high scoring offense.  Norvell fits that.  I think as long as the next coach brings that possibility there will be excitement regardless of who it is.   Norvell just happens to have ties to the state and appears like a real possibility so most people want to talk about him more.

Along with No Defense....will not work

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 06:14:13 pm
lol like a Nutt would know what reality is.

:P

I really do think this breaks down mainly along the old Nutt vs. Malzahn lines, though...

Norvell (Nutt-Huggers) vs. Malzahn (Darksiders) is the new dynamic.

Hawginj

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 17, 2017, 06:09:59 pm
I know he doesn't have the Arkansas ties that Nutt has, but there's so much discussion on this board that paints the picture as Malzahn or Norvell. It feels a little like the Nutt propaganda machine (pre-Hogville of course). I don't get it. I don't necessarily have anything against Norvell. I think he's got high upside, but that could be said of several other candidates. Why do so many of these threads stop at Norvell? He's got two years as a head coach at a program that was already winning.
There are more quality candidates and I like alot of them would be happy with them. So in short for me it's fit I believe his philosophy both offense and defense would bring new life to this team. I believe he fits with the players on the hill and his system fits with what most high schools try to do hence it gives us more of a pool to choose from that can make an easy transition. Also it gives us an identity unlike any other team in the SEC.

bjeffersonhog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on November 17, 2017, 06:21:03 pm

Just answering why the threads stop at norvell.  His defense is definitely questionable. 

Hawginj

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 06:22:56 pm

I really do think this breaks down mainly along the old Nutt vs. Malzahn lines, though...

😂😂😂 I don't want to like you but i just can't help it roll on.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm not convinced that either of them is the answer.
Go Hogs Go!

Hollywood870

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 06:28:59 pm
I'm not convinced that either of them is the answer.
Do you have a favorite sir? I love Frost but don't see it happening. I'm going with Gus, then Norvell on this one.

Hogindasticks

On December 6, 2016, Venables was named the winner of the 2016 Broyles Award for the nation's top assistant coach.[8]

Hogindasticks

MC_Hog

Sounds like Gus at A State. Had only one year as a head coach after taking over a program that Freeze had winning.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 06:26:31 pm
😂😂😂 I don't want to like you but i just can't help it roll on.

Lol, you don't think it is eeerily similar to the old days?

Hogindasticks

Venables as Head Coach.....Norvell as OC.....THAT would work!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 17, 2017, 06:32:31 pm
Do you have a favorite sir? I love Frost but don't see it happening. I'm going with Gus, then Norvell on this one.

I do, but I have not heard his name mentioned and I am not sure that he would come if offered. The best candidate that already knows how to run a high flying offense and do more with less in terms of recruiting is Mike Gundy. I said in another thread that I would throw the bank at him to get him here because he already knows how to do what we need done. He's been doing it for years. Unfortunately the PTB have their heads so wrapped around the necessity of having someone with "Arkansas ties" that they can't see the forest for the trees.
Go Hogs Go!

hog of steele

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 06:43:43 pm
I do, but I have not heard his name mentioned and I am not sure that he would come if offered. The best candidate that already knows how to run a high flying offense and do more with less in terms of recruiting is Mike Gundy. I said in another thread that I would throw the bank at him to get him here because he already knows how to do what we need done. He's been doing it for years. Unfortunately the PTB have their heads so wrapped around the necessity of having someone with "Arkansas ties" that they can't see the forest for the trees.

He is a great coach. If we could get him, we should. Whatever he wants if he has the fire. But he would have to choose a better hair cut.

Hawginj

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 06:42:29 pm
Lol, you don't think it is eeerily similar to the old days?
I defiantly do lol but I'm not in that deep

NuttinItUp

The Mullet? Now I know you are trolling.

Hawginj

Dream hire just don't think we could get him here.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 06:50:09 pm
The Mullet? Now I know you are trolling.

I could care less about the length of his hair or the cut that he chooses. He already knows how to win with lesser recruiting and how to develop players. Gus hasn't set the world on fire with highly ranked recruiting classes and Norvell is just in his second year of ever being a HC at the college level. Insanity would be casting our lot with either of those two just because they have "Arkansas connections". And as far as Venables goes, when has he ever had to produce anything (since K-State, umpteen years ago) out of lower ranked recruiting classes? He has an enormous amount of talent to work with at both Oklahoma and now, at Clemson.

Gonna need a guy who already knows how to do consistently more with less in the SEC West.
Go Hogs Go!

ChicoHog

Quote from: hog of steele on November 17, 2017, 06:47:00 pm
He is a great coach. If we could get him, we should. Whatever he wants if he has the fire. But he would have to choose a better hair cut.
I like his haircut.  I was sporting that look about 35 years ago and no one called it a mullet and no one gave me crap about it either!

Gundy would be an awesome hire.

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 06:53:26 pm
I could care less about the length of his hair or the cut that he chooses. He already knows how to win with lesser recruiting and how to develop players. Gus hasn't set the world on fire with highly ranked recruiting classes and Norvell is just in his second year of ever being a HC at the college level. Insanity would be casting our lot with either of those two just because they have "Arkansas connections". And as far as Venables goes, when has he ever had to produce anything (since K-State, umpteen years ago) out of lower ranked recruiting classes? He has an enormous amount of talent to work with at both Oklahoma and now, at Clemson.

Gonna need a guy who already knows how to do consistently more with less in the SEC West.
How about a guy who can improve recruiting and does more with more? 

Hugo Bezdek

I despise both of them (Nutt and Malzahn). What does that make me?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 17, 2017, 06:58:55 pm
How about a guy who can improve recruiting and does more with more? 

Who would that be?
Go Hogs Go!

Hugo Bezdek

Sign him up! His son is on The Hill. That's an Arkansas tie. Done.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 17, 2017, 06:59:12 pm
I despise both of them (Nutt and Malzahn). What does that make me?

I don't know..Leach? Kiffin? Frost?

You can support whoever you like.

NashvilleHog

I live in Memphis and have seen Norvell deal with the media and know what kind of facilities he has here and his history.  You can just tell he has "it".  He is doing things at Memphis that have not ever been done.  If Memphis beats SMU tomorrow, they win their division and play for their conference championship.  Fuente may have built the foundation, but Norvell has done all of this.

Bob Stoops went from Florida as an OC and did ok at Oklahoma.  Dabo went from not even being a coordinator to the HC at Clemson and he has done ok.  Discounting Norvell's 2 years of experience as HC as something meaningless is patently absurd.

The other thing mentioned by Clay Henry and Bo today is the cost factor.  It seems that the BOT isn't going to be paying a coach more than Bielema is making.  Does that eliminate Malzahn?  Could we get Norvell for a little over 3 million?  Probably so.  It's going to be interesting to see this all play out.
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 06:53:26 pm

Dude, Gundy just signed a contract extension this year. He ain't going nowhere for at least 2 or 3 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 07:07:57 pm
Dude, Gundy just signed a contract extension this year. He ain't going nowhere for at least 2 or 3 years.

Dude.

Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

November 17, 2017, 07:22:26 pm #31 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:42:45 pm by NuttinItUp
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 07:19:43 pm
Dude.

Haha, cool.

I apologize for misunderstanding your argument. I thought you were arguing for the Mullet. I am happy to see that you agree with me that he is not a viable candidate.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 07:22:26 pm
Haha, cool.

I apologize for misunderstanding your argument. I thought you were arguing for the Mullet. I am happy to see that you agree with me that he is not a viable candidate.

I think that he is the absolute best candidate. Just not sure that he would vacate his contract and the easier life of the Big 12 to come here. He enjoys his Turtle Hunts on his Ranch outside Stillwater.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Wasn't Gundy rumored to really want the job last time?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 07:00:46 pm
Who would that be?
I think Venables would be one.  Maybe Malzahn.  Maybe Jeremy Pruitt.  these are guys who have coached and recruited the best athletes, not the 2 and 3 star guys. 

redeye

I like Norvell, but I was never a Nutt Hugger, so I'm not sure about that.  I'm also okay with Malzahn, but he's no savior and Norvell may have the higher upside.

jrulz83

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm on the Lane Train.

Talk me off of it, anybody, please?

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

carolinahogger

The simple fact is that the Arkansas job would be a step down for Gundy.

Pork Twain

What I don't like about the Norvell talk is picking and choosing what is talked about.  People don't want to knock his defense because he plays in a conference not known for defense but want to heap praise on him for his offense...in...a...conference...that...is...not...known...for...defense...

Maybe he would be great here, but if does not field a defense worth a darn, it won't matter.  What I like about Gus over him is that he has shown he can translate his success into the SEC, but he has done so with Auburn level talent and I am not so sure he could replicate that here. 

I do like the idea of hiring one of these as our next HC: Holtz, Strong, Gundy or Leach (HC) or Venables or Diaz (AC)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kneph13

I'm in the Norvell camp but it is because of his coaching.  He will have to have a really good DC though.  I also am tired of hearing offense, offense, offense.  Don't you people ever learn?  Defenses win championships and in the SEC (West) we need a really good defense.
There is no Political Correctness in war

cjack

What bothers me is a lot of the anti Norvell guys say no because he's unproven in a big program. 

So if we wait until he's made it somewhere else all we'll hear is we can't get the big name over this program or that program because they're bigger.   

Neither argument makes any sense to me, and Oklahoma seems to be doing pretty good with a young "unproven" coach.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Hawg Life

More living in the past!!! Norvell is the polar opposite of Nutt. If anything Gus would be Nutt, as you're clamoring for the past instead of looking toward the future. We need to start over.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hogindasticks on November 17, 2017, 06:21:03 pm

You play to win your conference, and offense wins The AAC. Norvell would change defense in The SEC. Offense is easier to recruit.

DenaoStyle

Good post.

You say anything less than positive about Norvell and the Norvell (HUGGERS?) enthusiasts really get after you.  I don't think anybody is bashing Norvell...I just think most people with some common sense see that his resume is extremely lacking. 

Hawg Life

Quote from: DenaoStyle on November 17, 2017, 11:39:24 pm
Good post.

You say anything less than positive about Norvell and the Norvell (HUGGERS?) enthusiasts really get after you.  I don't think anybody is bashing Norvell...I just think most people with some common sense see that his resume is extremely lacking.

Would you take Kirby Smart or Lincoln Riley?

Matt Burks

Quote from: DenaoStyle on November 17, 2017, 11:39:24 pm
Good post.

Have they really looked at Norvell's resume? I mean he was a very good Offensive Coordinator at Arizona State for 4 years before he took over Memphis. And furthermore, Fuente went to study offense from Norvell and then Fuente changed his offense modelled after Norvell's offense. Norvell is also known as a really good recruiter and for having great special teams.

East Clintwood

To me, the Gus Bussers are the new Nutt Posse.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Matt Burks

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 18, 2017, 01:05:44 am
To me, the Gus Bussers are the new Nutt Posse.
Exactly how I feel. You know Birds of a feather...

DenaoStyle

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 18, 2017, 12:23:50 am
Have they really looked at Norvell's resume? I mean he was a very good Offensive Coordinator at Arizona State for 4 years before he took over Memphis. And furthermore, Fuente went to study offense from Norvell and then Fuente changed his offense modelled after Norvell's offense. Norvell is also known as a really good recruiter and for having great special teams.

I'm sure he has a very good offensive mind.  So did Norm Chow.  He's probably a solid recruiter, as was/is Trooper Taylor.

He's shown the ability to maintain what a previous coach built ala Les Miles.

But can he build and sustain a program?  Nobody knows.  Perhaps he can...he hasn't shown that he can't.  Norvell is a risk, a much bigger risk than most of the names being tossed around.  I, personally, wouldn't hire him...I'd lean toward a more proven commodity.  But that's just me.  If we do hire Norvell, I will fully support him.

cosmodrum

Any established, proven coach isn't coming here because they have a good job. We need to take a shot on an "up and comer." We have to catch lightening in a bottle. I want Norvell, but o have no idea if he will succeed here. I would like to give him a shot, though.
Go away, batin'