Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn's Offensive Philosophy

Started by The_Iceman, November 16, 2017, 11:15:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

Quote from: fademe on November 17, 2017, 08:20:04 am
I think he is. Back when Gus was gussing and Auburn fans were calling for his head (myself included), I had a couple names that I wanted us to make them say no (Gary Patterson and James Franklin) and then I wanted us to look at up-and-comers like Norvell, Brohm, Fuente, someone along those lines.
There is a lot to be said for some youthful energy especially when combined with x and o moxie.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Paul

Quote from: rtr on November 17, 2017, 08:04:19 am
Sounds like Norvell might be the real deal.
I'll followed Memphis since he's been here & he is impressive.  If we don't hire him(offer & he will fight for it) we'll regret it.

Ironhawg

November 17, 2017, 10:03:08 am #52 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:22:09 am by Ironhawg
Quote from: fademe on November 17, 2017, 08:01:50 am
Chip has called every play since LSU. He also threatened to quit after that game and almost came to blows with Gus after Gus threw him under the bus for the Clemson game debacle.

Yeah, Chip was at ASU last year after Norvell left. Chip and Mike run a lot of the same concepts. Chip just hasn't been able to install most of them at Auburn. If this were truly Chip's offense, it would look a lot different than what we're currently running.

What happened to make Rhett Lashlee leave Auburn to go to UConn?  From the outside it looked like he was let go to save Gus' job.  Now, according to you, Gus' current OC is battling him over play calling.  This sounds kind of like Paul Chryst vs Bielema at Wisconsin.

Hawginj

Quote from: fademe on November 17, 2017, 08:01:50 am
Chip has called every play since LSU. He also threatened to quit after that game and almost came to blows with Gus after Gus threw him under the bus for the Clemson game debacle.

Yeah, Chip was at ASU last year after Norvell left. Chip and Mike run a lot of the same concepts. Chip just hasn't been able to install most of them at Auburn. If this were truly Chip's offense, it would look a lot different than what we're currently running.
I know who Chip is and where he came from. But if you think Chip is calling plays in a Gus Malzahn offense there is no help for you. It is documented by volumes as to calls the plays when Gus is coaching. Edit that come off rude not my intent.

fademe

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 17, 2017, 10:03:08 am

What happened to make Rhett Lashlee leave Auburn to go to UConn?  From the outside it looked like he was let go to save Gus' job.  Now, according to you, Gus' current OC is battling him over play calling.  This sounds kind of like Paul Chryst vs Bielema at Wisconsin.

Gus was forced to make an OC change and give up control of the offense by some power people. Effectively, Gus was given an ultimatum. Change the offense and let someone else call plays or get fired. Gus brought in a new OC in Lindsey, which was another fight, and then took over the play calling early in the season.

fademe

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 10:04:46 am
I know who Chip is and where he came from. But if you think Chip is calling plays in a Gus Malzahn offense there is no help for you. It is documented by volumes as to calls the plays when Gus is coaching. Edit that come off rude not my intent.

I'm extremely confident in what I wrote about who called and is calling plays. You can believe what you want.

Hawginj

Quote from: fademe on November 17, 2017, 11:22:38 am
I'm extremely confident in what I wrote about who called and is calling plays. You can believe what you want.
👍

Russ22

Quote from: OnYourToes on November 16, 2017, 03:40:30 pm
When i think of Gus coming to the Hill, I think of our line up of playmakers next year. . .

QB - Cole Kelley, assuming he gets his act together, live arm, BIG body, short yardage runner.

RB - Devwah Whaley, feature back, strong, veteran, straight away runner
       Chase Hayden, accent back, quick, shifty runner, breakaway speed

WR - Johnathan Nance, solid route runner
        Deon Stweart, posession WR
        De'Vion Warren, deep threat, blazing speed
        Jordan Jones, complementary to Nance

TE - Cheyenne O'Grady, big presence over the middle
       Jeremy Patton, physical blocker, solid route runner, speedy
       Austin Cantrell, great blocker, physical runner
       Will Gragg, hidden gem

With these weapons, in Gus' system, he could have some fun and put some points on the board.

IMO, Cole Kelly won't be the QB of choice if it is Gus. Big QBs are not really successful in college or in the NFL. I do understand the big body in short yardage, but I don't see Kelly being success as a down to down QB.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

My concern is that Arkansas missed out on Gus when he was the hot thing 10 years ago. So now we are going to miss out on the next hot thing to right that wrong.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawginj on November 16, 2017, 09:36:27 pm
He has literally never done that not once.

Your nonstop posts are bizarre, but some, like this one, are just plain demonstrably false.  I could walk you through every season, but the Tulsa years are all that's necessary to blow this out of the water.  Malzahn inherited a fifth year senior QB named Paul Smith and personnel best suited to throwing thefootball.  It was exactly the opposite situation he left at Arkansas. 

In 2006, Paul Smith threw for 2,727 yards, 15 TDs and 9 INTs.  Tulsa ranked 24 as a team in Total Offense.

Under Malzahn in 2007, Smith threw for 5,065 yards, 47 TDs and 19 INTs.  Tarrion Adams rushed for 1,225 yards.  Tulsa led the nation in Total Offense.  Pass to run ratio was 50/50.

David Johnson took over at QB in 2008 and threw for 4,059 yards, 46 TDs and 18 INTs.  Tarrion Adams rushed for 1,523 yards.  Tulsa once again led the country in Total Offense. 

Bkhardicars is exactly right.  For a band parent dude knows his football.

Malzahn prefers to run.  But he has shown everywhere he has been an ability to maximize talent and exploit mismatches.  Other than lead, that is what great coaches do. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Karma on November 17, 2017, 12:29:26 pm
My concern is that Arkansas missed out on Gus when he was the hot thing 10 years ago. So now we are going to miss out on the next hot thing to right that wrong.

This is a very good point.  Malzahn is definitely no retread and may not have reached his peak.  There is no telling how successful he might be at Arkansas given the chance.  On the other hand, Arkansas can ill afford to wait long to see what happens.

hogginbama

Quote from: davehog on November 16, 2017, 11:38:44 am
This is what I think separates Gus from other coaches.  He has a base style of offense but it changes based on personnel.  I've watched his offenses since he left Arkansas and while they are somewhat similar they've been unique from year to year.

Think about the Auburn - QB Marshall NC team and compare to this year's Auburn team.  Totally different. 

This is one of the reasons that I think Gus could go a great job here.  Due to recruiting limitations (who we can actually get year over year) the offensive system, out of necessity, will have to change year over year and we need a coach that can very effectively do just that.

Schools with "selective" recruiting don't have to do this as they recruit players that fit that particular system.  We don't have that luxury at Arkansas. 

Look at this year's team - we've got playmakers at TE but didn't quite get them in the game plan enough.  It took several games for Hammonds to get in the game plan although he was injured very early on. 

I think Gus's offense would get the ball in the hands of the TEs, TJ and Jordan Jones as much as possible.   

Look at the offense at Auburn, when have they involved the TE in the offensive scheme very much? It is a run heavy offense that he coaches, most passes are down the field and to the sidelines with an occasional pass over the middle. It has been said down here in the land of Roll Tide and War Eagle, his QBs do not have the ability to audible out of a play, just the RPO. It has also been said he hates the interception so much that this hatred of it is why the passing game is somewhat limited to stretch plays.

Kind of wondering though, what was the big difference between the Nick Marshall team and this years team? Both were heavy on the run, both ran lots of motion in the RPO scheme and attempted to pass the ball down the field. His QB now was actually developed elsewhere, so he is a better passer than Marshall was. That is the knock on Gus, lack of QB development, even though he has often been heralded as a QB God.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

BR

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 16, 2017, 09:48:20 pm
don't fight gusHuggers

GM revolutionized highschool football, invented the wildcat, has a better record at AU than Les had at LSU ...

all true

Now I don't want Les at all, or do I want Gus...........  But Les's record for 12 seasons is pretty damn good... Plus a National Championship

Les
114–34 in 12 Seasons,
Championships
1 National (2007)
2 SEC (2007, 2011)
3 SEC Western Division (2005, 2007, 2011)
Awards
Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award (2011)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (2011)
Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year Award (2011)
AFCA FBS Coach of the Year (2011)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2011)

GUS
43-20 in 5 Seasons
Championships
1 SEC (2013)
1 Sun Belt (2012)
Awards
SEC Coach of the Year (2013)
Home Depot Coach of the Year (2013)
Sporting News Coach of the Year (2013)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (2013)
AP College Football Coach of the Year (2013)
Paul "Bear" Bryant Award (2013)
Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award (2013)
Broyles Award (2010)
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hawginj

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 01:44:31 pm
This is a very good point.  Malzahn is definitely no retread and may not have reached his peak.  There is no telling how successful he might be at Arkansas given the chance.  On the other hand, Arkansas can ill afford to wait long to see what happens.
you totally misunderstood what you quoted he was explaining that we will miss out on a better coach for Gus 😂😂😂. And you talk about my IQ

hawgball40

if you needed to complete a 4th and 10 to win the game who's offense would you rather have:

a) bobby petrino
b) gus malzahn

Hawginj

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 17, 2017, 02:15:27 pm
if you needed to complete a 4th and 10 to win the game who's offense would you rather have:

a) bobby petrino
b) gus malzahn
BP all day long and twice on Sunday.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 02:11:36 pm
you totally misunderstood what you quoted he was explaining that we will miss out on a better coach for Gus 😂😂😂. And you talk about my IQ

Actually I didn't read the whole thread. Malzahn's pedestrian offense just put up 251 passing yards, 237 rushing yards and 40 points on the nations' number 5 team in total defense.

What Arkansas missed out on 10 years ago was the opportunity to replace one of the worst coaches in football with one of the best.  Whether they have the opportunity now at Malzahn is questionable, but it would be the best hire they could make.

Now why don't you get a fresh bag of Cheetos and try to explain how chained Malzahn is to whatever system you think he's chained to in light of the Tulsa stats I posted above.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 02:34:01 pm
Actually I didn't read the whole thread. Malzahn's pedestrian offense just put up 251 passing yards, 237 rushing yards and 40 points on the nations' number 5 team in total defense.

What Arkansas missed out on 10 years ago was the opportunity to replace one of the worst coaches in football with one of the best.  Whether they have the opportunity now at Malzahn is questionable, but it would be the best hire they could make.

Now why don't you get a fresh bag of Cheetos and try to explain how chained Malzahn is to whatever system you think he's chained to in light of the Tulsa stats I posted above.

You think Houston Nutt was one of the worst coaches is football?

- Three SEC West Championships
- One 10 win season
- Three 9 win seasons (2 more at Ole Miss)
- Two 11 win seasons at Murray State

Hawginj

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 02:34:01 pm

was Gus the head coach of Tulsa? Thats the answer. Gus ran what Graham told him to just like any assistant in all of foot ball since the game was invented that fresh enough for you?

Hogindasticks

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 17, 2017, 02:15:27 pm

a) bobby petrino
b) gus malzahn

BP as OC and GM as HC

Gonzo

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 17, 2017, 02:41:42 pm

- One 10 win season

I agree calling him one of the worst is pretty silly. I will always wonder how much better he may have been if it hadn't been for his own ego holding him back.

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: Hogindasticks on November 17, 2017, 03:01:35 pm
BP as OC and GM as HC

As if bringing only either one of the two wouldn't produce too much drama ;)

Go Hogs!

PigInTheHole

Quote from: Gonzo on November 17, 2017, 03:53:19 pm
I agree calling him one of the worst is pretty silly. I will always wonder how much better he may have been if it hadn't been for his own ego holding him back.

Go Hogs!

Houston Nutt didn't invent the Wildcat
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

The_Iceman

Quote from: Gonzo on November 17, 2017, 03:53:19 pm

Go Hogs!

Completely agree.

Hawginj

Quote from: Hogindasticks on November 17, 2017, 03:01:35 pm
BP as OC and GM as HC
looks like turnover on downs cause a Gus coached team gonna have a hard time throwing it. And BP isnt oc if he cant call plays

GoHogs1091

Regarding Malzahn's offensive philosophy, here is what Venables stated last season after he held Malzahn to 13 points.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/clemson-dc-brent-venables-used-google-to-stop-auburns-wing-t

Venables held Malzahn to 6 points this season.

Hawginj

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 17, 2017, 07:21:24 pm
Regarding Malzahn's offensive philosophy, here is what Venables stated last season after he held Malzahn to 13 points.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/clemson-dc-brent-venables-used-google-to-stop-auburns-wing-t

lol good stuff right there

Gonzo

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 17, 2017, 04:04:28 pm
Houston Nutt didn't invent the Wildcat

Um, ok, and?

Don't recall saying anything about that

Go Hogs!

bphi11ips

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 17, 2017, 02:41:42 pm

- One 10 win season

How do you go 4-4 with Darren McFadden, Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis.

I know some Ole Miss fans who agree with me. Nutt was 1-15 in the SEC his last two years there. He hasn't coached since.

Nutt was a decent coach until he lost his mind.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 02:45:28 pm
was Gus the head coach of Tulsa? Thats the answer. Gus ran what Graham told him to just like any assistant in all of foot ball since the game was invented that fresh enough for you?

Ok.

;)

PigInTheHole

Quote from: Gonzo on November 17, 2017, 10:32:23 pm
Um, ok, and?

Don't recall saying anything about that

Go Hogs!

fa·ce·tious
adjective: facetious

treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 07:24:33 pm
lol good stuff right there

I presume Nick Saban has been watching and studying the film to see how Venables shut down Malzahn's High School Wing-T offense.

Malzahn though may get fortunate and score more against Saban than the 6 points he scored against Venables this season.

hawgball40

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 17, 2017, 07:21:24 pm

I'd take Venables tomorrow as HC after reading that. He would probably be the type to hire a top tier OC and defer to him on offense while micromanaging and building an elite defense. Win win

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 18, 2017, 06:45:48 pm
I'd take Venables tomorrow as HC after reading that. He would probably be the type to hire a top tier OC and defer to him on offense while micromanaging and building an elite defense. Win win

Heupel or Kingsbury would be difficult for SEC Defensive Coordinators to deal with (Heupel is currently showing that at Missouri; Heupel is currently destroying Vanderbilt, who has a good defensive Coach, Mason).

Defensively, Venables would make sure that we would do the following;

Excellent gap control/gap integrity
Excellent tackling
Excellent Linebacker play
Excellent Defensive Back coverage