55.  Florida
61.  Arkansas State
75  Kentucky
76.  Vanderbilt
86.  Tennessee
90.  Arkansas
93.  Missouri
111.  Memphis

Somebody needs to explain to me the excitement about an AAC coach that has a defense that ranks 111th in the country, a defense that we are actually better than. 

Our defense is awful, and we are 11 positions better.

The AAC is not a Power 5 conference, and coaching at the SEC level is REQUIRED if we want to win games anytime soon.  That should be the 1st requirement for our new coach.

Simple.  On offense, you need 3-4 skill players to be successful in smaller conferences.  You get a 2 star WR in a good offensive system and he can shine.  They're a dime a dozen. 

But if a defensive player is worth anything, he's going to a bigger school.  They are much harder to find and have to have 10 other guys do their job too to be successful.  It's just a difference in each side of the ball.     
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

DeltaBoy

If we can't get Gus being in Mike !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawginj

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 16, 2017, 08:07:41 am
or maybe "they" are being completely logical.  Bringing in a coach with ZERO SEC experience is not a promising scenario. Your attempts to put Norvell on the same level as Gus is laughable....
Is it?  Oklahoma says hi, Clemson, Va Tech, are waving at you should I go on? You and your kind aren't here to help the Razorbacks. Your here to promote your friend, family member, your hero, or your an Auburn fan praying Gus bolts for the door because they believe what i believe he isn't good enough for my team. End of story but just keep pushing your agenda sweetheart and maybe one day the polls will flip to your favor. Good day!

IronHog

What's their turnover ratio?

Defense stats are increasingly irrelevant.....TO ratio wins games
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

clutch

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2017, 08:16:48 am
What’s their turnover ratio?

Ranked 10th there. 22 gained, 13 lost. So +9 on the season so far.

Or I should say, they are ranked 10th in turnover margin with a margin of 1.00. So they are basically have 1 more takeaway than turnover per game.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2017, 08:16:48 am
What's their turnover ratio?

Yards allowed and points surrendered are the two most valuable stats when evaluating a defense.

Which scenario is more likely to result in a loss: 

1.  My defense averages .5 more turnovers created than my opponent every game.
2.  My defense surrenders 450 yards every game? 

Giving up 450 yards a night is FAR more telling than the results of what could come down to one play out of 50.  Winning the turnover battle by .5 a game means that I only generate 6 more possessions per SEASON.  If I score a touchdown half the time, that only amounts to 21 points A SEASON.   

Defensive Turnover Margin / National ranking (this week)

1.  Wyoming            NR
2.  Miami                 2
3.  Florida Atlantic    NR
4.  South Florida      NR
5.  Penn State          10
6.  UCF                    15
7.  SMU                   NR   
8.  Alabama             1
     Stanford             22
10.  Memphis           21
      Texas Tech         NR

There is no direct link between turnover margin and winning of football games.  It certainly helps, but having a consistent defense that doesn't allow the opponent to move the ball as effectively matters a whole lot more and is more directly linked to the winning of games.

TNRazorbacker

All the Norvell excitement is waaay premature. Been saying it all along.

younghog

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 15, 2017, 05:01:18 pm
Some schools and their offensive rankings:
1.  Oklahoma
2.  Oklahoma St.
3.  Ohio St.
4.  Louisville
5.  UCF
8.  Memphis
10.  Missouri
16.  Ole Miss
19.  Alabama
24.  Auburn
28.  Washington St.
29.  Arkansas St.
47.  Georgia
50.  Miss. St.
60.  LSU
68.  Texas A&M
86.  Arkansas
94.  Michigan
100.  Kentucky
106.  South Carolina
114.  Florida
118.  Vanderbilt
119.  Florida St.
124.  Tennessee

if LSU offense is 60 we are really struggling.. As LSU offense is BLAH
GO HOGS

Hawginj

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 16, 2017, 08:56:44 am
and that's cool. You see things different and thats a great thing. My excitement comes from the potential ceiling  he possesses and how his system relates to the type of athletes we have in our recruiting base.

#1 STUNNA

Norvells offense is perfect for the type of top talent Arkansas produces yearly out of high school... gotta have an offense that will keep the studs in state. I would be fine with Norvell, Gus, Frost, or Brohm. Whoever we bring in needs to lock down Bohannon, Bishop, Burks, and Henry... cant let any of them get out of Arkansas... They are elite athletes.. burks will be a hog if norvell gets the job..

Hawginj

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 09:03:16 am
Norvells offense is perfect for the type of top talent Arkansas produces yearly out of high school... gotta have an offense that will keep the studs in state. I would be fine with Norvell, Gus, Frost, or Brohm. Whoever we bring in needs to lock down Bohannon, Bishop, Burks, and Henry... cant let any of them get out of Arkansas... They are elite athletes.. burks will be a hog if norvell gets the job..
That's been my point all along! Go Hogs!

IronHog

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 16, 2017, 08:39:08 am
Yards allowed and points surrendered are the two most valuable stats when evaluating a defense.

Which scenario is more likely to result in a loss: 

1.  My defense averages .5 more turnovers created than my opponent every game.
2.  My defense surrenders 450 yards every game? 

Giving up 450 yards a night is FAR more telling than the results of what could come down to one play out of 50.  Winning the turnover battle by .5 a game means that I only generate 6 more possessions per SEASON.  If I score a touchdown half the time, that only amounts to 21 points A SEASON.   

Defensive Turnover Margin / National ranking (this week)

1.  Wyoming            NR
2.  Miami                 2
3.  Florida Atlantic    NR
4.  South Florida      NR
5.  Penn State          10
6.  UCF                    15
7.  SMU                   NR   
8.  Alabama             1
     Stanford             22
10.  Memphis           21
      Texas Tech         NR

There is no direct link between turnover margin and winning of football games.  It certainly helps, but having a consistent defense that doesn't allow the opponent to move the ball as effectively matters a whole lot more and is more directly linked to the winning of games.

Really not the point

Lots of teams that play good offense are going to have meh defensive stats.......doesn't mean they have bad defense.

BP had OK defenses his last two years year but lots of idiots rant NO DEFENSE BLAH, blah, blah
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hawginj

To those that don't understand why I'm excited about Norvell do this go on YouTube type in Memphis tiger football 2017 and watch most vids aren't long around 8 mins you don't have to crunch numbers or any of that just watch and if that don't get your Dillys hot I guess Gus is your guy.

hogfansince79

Interview with Mike Norvell (January 9, 2016)

Around the 5:45 mark he talks his offensive, defensive, and special teams philosophy.  This is the first coach that I have ever heard say they were going to attack and be aggressive on special teams.

It's time for someone new and young... hire Norvell.  Do it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Wildhog

On the flip side... Scott Frost.

Scoring offense:
1.  UCF  - 48.6 ppg

Scoring defense
29. UCF - 20.7 ppg

If Florida and Nebraska screw up and don't hire him, we have to get him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawginj

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 16, 2017, 09:41:36 am

Interview with Mike Norvell (January 9, 2016)

Around the 5:45 mark he talks his offensive, defensive, and special teams philosophy.  This is the first coach that I have ever heard say they were going to attack and be aggressive on special teams.

It's time for someone new and young... hire Norvell.  Do it.
😁 get your Dillys hott!

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 09:45:29 am
On the flip side... Scott Frost.

Scoring offense:
1.  UCF  - 48.6 ppg

Scoring defense
29. UCF - 20.7 ppg

If Florida and Nebraska screw up and don't hire him, we have to get him.

We would be a stepping stone for frost...

RedyorNot

If we're going with balanced numbers on both sides of the ball and someone we could realistically get, ole Charlie Strong has USF at:

Total Offense #9
Total Defense #19
Turnover Margin #4

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 16, 2017, 08:56:44 am

I totally agree.

Matt Burks

Everyone saying there's not enough experience in Norvell, are you not taking into account his 4 years as the Arizona State OC (2 years he was also Assistant Head Coach)?

Hawginj

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 09:51:44 am
if we could get him I would do back flips

Hawginj

Quote from: RedyorNot on November 16, 2017, 10:09:59 am
If we're going with balanced numbers on both sides of the ball and someone we could realistically get, ole Charlie Strong has USF at:

Total Offense #9
Total Defense #19
Turnover Margin #4
very good coach but reading around here the enduindo is he wouldn't coach at Arkansas if we have him the world.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hawginj on November 16, 2017, 08:15:17 am
Is it?  Oklahoma says hi, Clemson, Va Tech, are waving at you should I go on? You and your kind aren't here to help the Razorbacks. Your here to promote your friend, family member, your hero, or your an Auburn fan praying Gus bolts for the door because they believe what i believe he isn't good enough for my team. End of story but just keep pushing your agenda sweetheart and maybe one day the polls will flip to your favor. Good day!
Hawginj should be Norvell's agent!

hogfansince79

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 16, 2017, 10:16:33 am
Everyone saying there's not enough experience in Norvell, are you not taking into account his 4 years as the Arizona State OC (2 years he was also Assistant Head Coach)?

The numbers...

ASU OC     
              yds/g    p yds/g   r yds/g   pts/g

2012 (25)  465      259       205       38 (14) 
2013 (17)  457      265       191       39 (11)
2014 (37)  442      273       168       36 (19)
2015 (26)  477      299       178       34 (32)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

The Hawg Marshal

I personally would like to see Norvell get the chance to coach the Hogs. That being said I don't get a vote, and I doubt anyone posting here gets one either. Gus supporters are not going to change their opinion and neither are the Norvell supporters. It's just a wait and see situation. One of these factions will most likely get their way.Now whomever gets it needs to get the full support of Razorback Nation. If Gus gets it I'll totally, although reluctantly, support the team just as I always have. And I'll say this, if after about 3 years Gus has been a success , I'll be more than happy to eat crow. But if he fails I'll also be here saying I told you so. I'm just not going to put much into all this back and forth right now. jmo

hogfansince79

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 16, 2017, 10:28:04 am
The numbers...

ASU OC     
              yds/g    p yds/g   r yds/g   pts/g

2012 (25)  465      259       205       38 (14) 
2013 (17)  457      265       191       39 (11)
2014 (37)  442      273       168       36 (19)
2015 (26)  477      299       178       34 (32)

Those arent good enough for the hogville coaching committee..lol

Darren DeLoach

If it mattered what I think, it doesn't, I would have Norvell on my top 5 list for sure. Not number 1, but on the list of probable. I have one or two above him that are crazy unlikely, so technically, Norvell is probably third on my list of real-world possibilities. Either way, he has his short-comings, but all do.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Wildhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 09:51:44 am

Fine by me, as long as we win a bunch of games while he's here.
1909/1964/1965/1977

#1 STUNNA

Alot of great options out their.. but people thinking Norvell isnt have no clue.. could he fail? sure.. anyone that takes it could.. the number one thing that people are ignoring if its true is that he wants to be here (dream job)... the #1 thing i like about him.. and he will recruit the type of players that arkansas high school athletics are good at producing...

Wildhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 11:01:45 am
Alot of great options out their.. but people thinking Norvell isnt have no clue.. could he fail? sure.. anyone that takes it could.. the number one thing that people are ignoring if its true is that he wants to be here (dream job)... the #1 thing i like about him.. and he will recruit the type of players that arkansas high school athletics are good at producing...

I really couldn't care less if we are someone's dream job.   
1909/1964/1965/1977

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:03:12 am
I really couldn't care less if we are someone's dream job.   

and i could care less to be someones stepping stone... or dead end.. (Bielema)

Wildhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 11:07:06 am
and i could care less to be someones stepping stone... or dead end.. (Bielema)

Frost beat Norvell like a rented mule.  I want a winner.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

People thought Bobby would bolt the second he had success at Arkansas, too.  He signed a long-term deal after the 2011 season. 

We know how that turned out, but it had nothing to do with Petrino wanting to leave.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawginj

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 16, 2017, 10:25:19 am
Hawginj should be Norvell's agent!
lol wouldn't that be nice. But wait who says I'm not.......

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:09:01 am

who said anything negative about Frost?

ipigsooie

Good luck finding someone that has never lost to anyone else.  Narrows the field a bit

Wildhog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 16, 2017, 11:19:26 am
Good luck finding someone that has never lost to anyone else.  Narrows the field a bit

Well, I'm obviously going to look at them head-to-head.  Norvell also stepped into a much better situation than Frost.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 11:19:12 am
who said anything negative about Frost?

You said you don't want him because you think we'd be a stepping stone job for him.

If we're a stepping stone for a better job, that means he won a lot of games while he was here.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:20:19 am
Well, I'm obviously going to look at them head-to-head.  Norvell also stepped into a much better situation than Frost.
Frost will be a monster. I just think he is UF's #2, Nebraska's #1 and several other schools would have him at #1 as well. Dude gonna get whatever job he wants.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ipigsooie

Well bring on blake Anderson. I believe astate curb stomped ucf in their bowl last year if I'm not mistaken.

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 16, 2017, 11:21:42 am
Frost will be a monster. I just think he is UF's #2, Nebraska's #1 and several other schools would have him at #1 as well. Dude gonna get whatever job he wants.

Dream scenario is that Florida hires Kelly and Nebraska just totally screw this hire up.  :)

Then we swoop in and throw a bank at Frost.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 16, 2017, 11:23:22 am
Well bring on blake Anderson. I believe astate curb stomped ucf in their bowl last year if I'm not mistaken.

In his first year at UCF after going ZERO AND TWELVE (0-12) the year before he got there.

He might take them from 0-12 to 12-0 in two years.  Absolutely incredible.  Dumbfounding.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg Life

Quote from: RedyorNot on November 16, 2017, 10:09:59 am

Total Offense #9
Total Defense #19
Turnover Margin #4

But, he didn't build that team, isn't that the argument on Norvell. I don't want a coach that bombed @ Texas.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:21:16 am
You said you don't want him because you think we'd be a stepping stone job for him.

If we're a stepping stone for a better job, that means he won a lot of games while he was here.

Never said i didnt want him.... just think when the grass gets greener he will bolt.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 16, 2017, 11:26:17 am
But, he didn't build that team, isn't that the argument on Norvell. I don't want a coach that bombed @ Texas.
Charlie's floor is decent but his ceiling isnt anywhere near Norvell's.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

#1 STUNNA

another interesting fact about Norvell and his memphis team... he has lost 6 defensive starters for the season due to injuries.. the most in the NCAA.

Hawg Life

So, one game determines if a coach is a winner? Gus is disqualified for blowing a 20 point lead and losing to CBB a couple of years ago. I'm sure Petrino wouldn't have made your list as I'm sure he's lost before too.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 16, 2017, 11:30:01 am
So, one game determines if a coach is a winner? Gus is disqualified for blowing a 20 point lead and losing to CBB a couple of years ago. I'm sure Petrino wouldn't have made your list as I'm sure he's lost before too.

Haha, I got a little hyperbolic there.  But yeah, I do think it's relevant.  UCF plays defense.  Memphis does not. 

UCF also has a better offense.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogfansince79

That's right... he had Paxton Lynch (8800 yds and 59 tds) as his starting quarterback - uummm - oh wait...