Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell - by the numbers

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, November 15, 2017, 04:49:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Life

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 16, 2017, 11:29:00 am
Charlie's floor is decent but his ceiling isnt anywhere near Norvell's.

I agree.. Hire Norvell Now!!

Pig in the Pokey

frost is a can't miss. norvell isnt, but, he still has a championship level ceiling, tho, and he'd stay at arkansas after he began winning here, too. Plus his Texas ties.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:31:00 am
Haha, I got a little hyperbolic there.  But yeah, I do think it's relevant.  UCF plays defense.  Memphis does not. 

UCF also has a better offense.

wonder how memphis defense would be if it didnt lose 6 starters to season ending injuries?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:20:19 am
Well, I'm obviously going to look at them head-to-head.  Norvell also stepped into a much better situation than Frost.
That's debatable. O Leary had a pretty good run at UCF . They won 31 games from 2012 -2014 and won a BCS  Bowl(Fiesta)before the wheels came off in 2015. Frost has done a great job but UCF was on pretty good footing when he took over. Memphis won 31 games between 2009 and 2015. UCF was the better situation.

Hawg Life

Haha, I got a little hyperbolic there.  But yeah, I do think it's relevant.  UCF plays defense.  Memphis does not. 

Memphis is all freshmen and a couple of sophomores on Defense due to injuries. It's easier to recruit offense than defense, and I think in a couple of classes the defense will catch up to the offense. Norvell signed the highest ranked class in Memphis history 48 spots higher than Fuente. Norvell will kill it here!!

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 16, 2017, 11:37:11 am
Memphis is all freshmen and a couple of sophomores on Defense due to injuries. It's easier to recruit offense than defense, and I think in a couple of classes the defense will catch up to the offense. Norvell signed the highest ranked class in Memphis history 48 spots higher than Fuente. Norvell will kill it here!!

oh yea.. and he wants to be here... and oh yea he is a realistic option!!! lol

hogfansince79

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 11:34:42 am
That's debatable. O Leary had a pretty good run at UCF . They won 31 games from 2012 -2014 and won a BCS  Bowl(Fiesta)before the wheels came off in 2015. Frost has done a great job but UCF was on pretty good footing when he took over. Memphis won 31 games between 2009 and 2015. UCF was the better situation.

Wow... freaking facts are your friend.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 16, 2017, 11:37:11 am
he'd have one thing we've never had- a huge recruiting presence in north mississippi and western tennessee to go along with a huge return in texas and a lockdown of arkansas. WOO PIG.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hogfooey

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 11:34:42 am
They were 0-12 when Frost took over.  The footing was not good.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Hawginj

I like Frost just dont think we'll contact him since it has to be an Arkansas guy and if so i have my pick .m

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogfooey on November 16, 2017, 11:41:04 am
They were 0-12 when Frost took over.  The footing was not good.
I acknowledged that the wheels came off in 2015. But if you cant' see the difference in a team that had won a BCS bowl game and the Memphis situation then you just don't want to.

#1 STUNNA

If everything about both of them is about evenly matched... I would take the one that wants to be here and stay here.

The Kig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 09:45:29 am
On the flip side... Scott Frost.

Scoring offense:
1.  UCF  - 48.6 ppg

Scoring defense
29. UCF - 20.7 ppg

If Florida and Nebraska screw up and don't hire him, we have to get him.

Frost is a heck of a coach... and I agree.  However, I don't see BOTH Florida and Nebraska passing on him.  The very fact that he is on the board should have Nebraska throwing money at him.  Haven't had him high on my list simply because I don't think he will still be on the board if we whiff on Gus and Norvell is already gone. 
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 11:34:34 am
wonder how memphis defense would be if it didnt lose 6 starters to season ending injuries?

Same could be said for any team... including Arkansas. 
Poker Porker

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: The Kig on November 16, 2017, 11:50:17 am
Frost is a heck of a coach... and I agree.  However, I don't see BOTH Florida and Nebraska passing on him.  The very fact that he is on the board should have Nebraska throwing money at him.  Haven't had him high on my list simply because I don't think he will still be on the board if we whiff on Gus and Norvell is already gone. 
I think Frost is a great coach and we'd be lucky to have him. And I'm like you I have just always figured he was a Nebraska lock. We'll see.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 16, 2017, 11:32:35 am
That's right... he had Paxton Lynch (8800 yds and 59 tds) as his starting quarterback - uummm - oh wait...

Huh?  He still stepped into a better situation than Frost.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: The Kig on November 16, 2017, 11:50:17 am

For all we know he may have no interest in the Nebraska job.  But he certainly might.  I think you have to make him say no.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 11:45:25 am
I acknowledged that the wheels came off in 2015. But if you cant' see the difference in a team that had won a BCS bowl game and the Memphis situation then you just don't want to.

Arkansas went 21-5 the two years prior to JLS.  Were we a good situation in 2013?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 11:34:34 am

Maybe they would have only lost by three touchdowns to UCF.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:59:28 am
Arkansas went 21-5 the two years prior to JLS.  Were we a good situation in 2013?
Who knows. We might have been with the right coach.

Kevin

he would bring an exciting offense
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 12:01:13 pm
Who knows. We might have been with the right coach.

The football program was in shambles by all accounts.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Just to be clear, I'd be fine with Norvell.  I'd just rather take a swing at Frost first.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogfansince79

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:56:22 am
Huh?  He still stepped into a better situation than Frost.

I did not say he didn't... what I'm saying is there is a lot more to consider than just win-lost record.

For the record, Frost would be a helluva hire.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 12:02:26 pm
The football program was in shambles by all accounts.
We'll never know what might have happened we were ranked 8th in the pre season polls , so it wasn't in shambles by ALL accounts.. Look I'm in the Norvell camp, but I'm willing to admit that there are other coaches out there that would be good hires. Frost , Campbell and yes Gus among others. But dragging down Norvell is just dumb to me. He would be a good hire also and I'd hate to see him at Ole Miss.

Wildhog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 12:07:59 pm
We'll never know what might have happened we were ranked 8th in the pre season polls , so it wasn't in shambles by ALL accounts.. Look I'm in the Norvell camp, but I'm willing to admit that there are other coaches out there that would be good hires. Frost , Campbell and yes Gus among others. But dragging down Norvell is just dumb to me. He would be a good hire also and I'd hate to see him at Ole Miss.

I said 2013, CBB's first year.

And I'm not putting Norvell down.  I think he's got a lot of upside.  I'd be fine if he was the guy.  He's just not #1 on my list, which means absolutely nothing.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 12:10:18 pm

And I'm not putting Norvell down.  I think he's got a lot of upside.  I'd be fine if he was the guy.  He's just not #1 on my list, which means absolutely nothing.
OK my bad on getting the years mixed up. I think we are actually pretty much in agreement. WPS

rljjr

If I had to put them in order I would go Norvell, Frost, Malzahn. I just think Norvell has a lot of potential to get it done.

#1 STUNNA

I think both could get the job done! I am more for Norvell only because he wants to be here! But i do wonder who the better recruiter is? Have have recruited about the same.. wonder if its harder to recruit to Orlando or Memphis!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 12:25:36 pm
I think both could get the job done! I am more for Norvell only because he wants to be here! But i do wonder who the better recruiter is? Have have recruited about the same.. wonder if its harder to recruit to Orlando or Memphis!!!

Arkansas is going to be in the 20-35 range, regardless.  We have to find someone that can do more with less.

Maybe they both can?  Idk.  It's all a crap shoot, anyway.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Kig

Quote from: rljjr on November 16, 2017, 12:13:26 pm
If I had to put them in order I would go Norvell, Frost, Malzahn. I just think Norvell has a lot of potential to get it done.

If they are all in play for Arkansas, then that would be my top 3 as well.  Order would be a bit different though... Malzahn, Frost, Norvell.   A case can be made for any of the 3 to succeed here, so my only concern is that we screw it up and end up with none of them.  Don't want an LSU situation...we can't afford to miss this time around or we really do run a chance of being relegated to perennial cellar dwellers. 
Poker Porker

Wildhog

Quote from: The Kig on November 16, 2017, 12:27:55 pm
we can't afford to miss this time around or we really do run a chance of being relegated to perennial cellar dwellers. 

Totally agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jgphillips3

I hope we get Norvell.  I feel this is the best upside hire we can make.  Sure, he could be a bust...but he just might be great and it wouldn't be hard to fire him if he is a bust, unlike Gus or someone more prominent.

Wildhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 16, 2017, 12:29:10 pm
I hope we get Norvell.  I feel this is the best upside hire we can make.  Sure, he could be a bust...but he just might be great and it wouldn't be hard to fire him if he is a bust, unlike Gus or someone more prominent.

That's my biggest concern with Gus.  If he doesn't work out, it will be damn near impossible to get rid of him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 12:26:56 pm
Arkansas is going to be in the 20-35 range, regardless.  We have to find someone that can do more with less.

Maybe they both can?  Idk.  It's all a crap shoot, anyway.

I think both run a system that would be effective for the in state talent that they could bring in! Would love to see Burks in either one of their systems. I think Burks, Henry, and Bentonville kid would all be hogs with either coach.

The Hawg Marshal

I've noticed since Long was fired the Les Miles talk has almost totally stopped. I'm happy about that.

Wildhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 16, 2017, 12:30:59 pm
I think both run a system that would be effective for the in state talent that they could bring in! Would love to see Burks in either one of their systems. I think Burks, Henry, and Bentonville kid would all be hogs with either coach.

I love both of their offenses, so I definitely agree with that.  Kelley, Hammonds, Hayden, Warren, Martin, Stewart...  Fix the OL and we will be ROLLING.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 12:32:06 pm
I've noticed since Long was fired the Les Miles talk has almost totally stopped. I'm happy about that.

COSIGN
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hawg Marshal

I'd love to get a coach that would utilize the talent that we have correctly.

HF#1

I wish we would move more towards the defensive side of the ball. We haven't had a good defense in a long long time. Good OC's are easy to find now a days.  Hell, go get Venables and keep Enos on staff.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawginj

Quote from: HF#1 on November 16, 2017, 12:40:26 pm
I wish we would move more towards the defensive side of the ball. We haven't had a good defense in a long long time. Good OC's are easy to find now a days.  Hell, go get Venables and keep Enos on staff.
BB is a defensive guy not that it helped any. Venables is a heck of a coach.

HF#1

Quote from: Hawginj on November 16, 2017, 12:47:35 pm
BB is a defensive guy not that it helped any. Venables is a heck of a coach.

Bielema couldn't hold Venables jock when it comes to defense. I'm not sure I would insult defensive football by saying Bielema is a defensive coach.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawginj

Quote from: HF#1 on November 16, 2017, 12:51:22 pm
Bielema couldn't hold Venables jock when it comes to defense. I'm not sure I would insult defensive football by saying Bielema is a defensive coach.
I agree on all points but he was held in high regard at one time.

Batesville Hogfan

First time head coach in only his second year who took over an already successful program.  That would be a very risky hire. Why not get a guy who either turned a loser into a winner or has been successful for 5+ years. Norvell could be Stan Heath 2.0

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on November 16, 2017, 12:58:01 pm
First time head coach in only his second year who took over an already successful program.  That would be a very risky hire. Why not get a guy who either turned a loser into a winner or has been successful for 5+ years. Norvell could be Stan Heath 2.0

Maybe we should re hire Brett Bielema!!! He has been successful at Wisconsin and won 3 big 10 titles... lol... coaching is hit or miss... a lot of good coaches out their that didn't have much head coaching experience that have done very well.. also a lot of coaches with a lot of experience have went to new places and sucked.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 12:10:18 pm

that team had like 10 pros on it.
@Slackaveli

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 16, 2017, 01:40:00 pm
that team had like 10 pros on it.

Also had a lot of problems in the locker room.   He had a lot of cleaning up to do when he got here.  That's all well-documented.

And that's not a defense of CBB in any way.  He STILL underachieved in 2013, lol.
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigmania

After a couple of years as HC, everyone said Gus wasn't ready and hasn't been doing it long enough. Norvell has been a HC 1.5 years and all of you act like he's the coming messiah. Hogville is literally full of retards behind a keyboard.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 11:20:19 am
Well, I'm obviously going to look at them head-to-head.  Norvell also stepped into a much better situation than Frost.
The stepped into thing might be true.  But one year of recruiting to UCF gives a coach an immediate advantage over a coach at Memphis.  The state of Florida got the players.

GoHogs1091

Norvell would be a risky hire.

Butch Jones is an example of what can happen by hiring a Head Coach out of a Mid-Major conference.

Bielema could also be an example.  It could be argued that the Mediocre 10 Conference is a Mid-Major conference.