55.  Florida
61.  Arkansas State
75  Kentucky
76.  Vanderbilt
86.  Tennessee
90.  Arkansas
93.  Missouri
111.  Memphis

Somebody needs to explain to me the excitement about an AAC coach that has a defense that ranks 111th in the country, a defense that we are actually better than. 

Our defense is awful, and we are 11 positions better.

The AAC is not a Power 5 conference, and coaching at the SEC level is REQUIRED if we want to win games anytime soon.  That should be the 1st requirement for our new coach.

STLhawg

Our defense is actually 21 positions better, but I get your point.  I think it is the offense that excites everyone.

STLhawg

Where does our offense rank anyway?

Michael D Huff AIA

I fatfingered that one. 

I swore I typed 21.

Tigaman

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/memphis/91050

They are also really young on defense. 7 of their starters are freshman or sophomores and only 8 juniors and seniors on their defensive depth chart. They are a pretty young team in general.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: STLhawg on November 15, 2017, 04:53:58 pm
Where does our offense rank anyway?

Some schools and their offensive rankings:
1.  Oklahoma
2.  Oklahoma St.
3.  Ohio St.
4.  Louisville
5.  UCF
8.  Memphis
10.  Missouri
16.  Ole Miss
19.  Alabama
24.  Auburn
28.  Washington St.
29.  Arkansas St.
47.  Georgia
50.  Miss. St.
60.  LSU
68.  Texas A&M
86.  Arkansas
94.  Michigan
100.  Kentucky
106.  South Carolina
114.  Florida
118.  Vanderbilt
119.  Florida St.
124.  Tennessee

colbs

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 15, 2017, 04:49:44 pm
As of this week (129 schools total):

Defensive Rankings           Offensive Rankings
1.  Wisconsin                        1.  Oklahoma
2.  Alabama                          2.  Oklahoma State
5.  Georgia                           8.  Memphis
9.  Auburn                            10.  Missouri
11. Miss. St.                         16.  Ole Miss
16. LSU                                19.  Alabama
39 Texas A&M
55.  Florida
61.  Arkansas State
75  Kentucky
76.  Vanderbilt
86.  Tennessee
90.  Arkansas
93.  Missouri
111.  Memphis

Somebody needs to explain to me the excitement about an AAC coach that has a defense that ranks 111th in the country, a defense that we are actually better than. 

The AAC is not a Power 5 conference, and coaching at the SEC level is REQUIRED if we want to win games anytime soon.  That should be the 1st requirement for our new coach.
Is that scoring defense or yards?

Hawginj

39 Texas A&M
55.  Florida
61.  Arkansas State
75  Kentucky
76.  Vanderbilt
86.  Tennessee
90.  Arkansas
93.  Missouri
111.  Memphis

well not hard1. they are very young. 2 Play in a conference that really doesn't play defense think big 12, Pac 12 not known for defense usually. Our defense would be better if our offense could stay on the field for more than 3 plays. We know he'll need a very good d coordinator if he comes.

redneckfriend

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 05:07:23 pm
well not hard1. they are very young. 2 Play in a conference that really doesn't play defense think big 12, Pac 12 not known for defense usually. Our defense would be better if our offense could stay on the field for more than 3 plays. We know he'll need a very good d coordinator if he comes.

No, he'll need to recruit some players that can play in the SEC i.e. have speed. Same problem every potential coach faces so the bottom line question regarding Norvell- can he recruit?

Tortfeasor

I question if he is just keeping Fuentes system going. Have seen this with others, including Butch Jones at Cincy and we know how that worked out.

RebelW

In all fairness, he might not have the funds to hire the DC needed to have a defense

Hawginj

Quote from: Tortfeasor on November 15, 2017, 05:37:34 pm
I question if he is just keeping Fuentes system going. Have seen this with others, including Butch Jones at Cincy and we know how that worked out.
how's that any different than Gus thats what hes done. Truth is we don't know but Mike's got my vote.

Hawginj

you are aware I hope that Fuente went to Arizona st while at Memphis and ended up adopting Norvell's system so essentialy Fuente took Norvell's offense as his own.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 05:44:47 pm
how's that any different than Gus thats what hes done. Truth is we don't know but Mike's got my vote.

Just for the record, I would take Norvell right now. The situation Gus went into  wasn't the same and he runs a completely different system than what was there before him.

Matt Burks

Fuente changed his offense after spending a few days learning from Norvell when Norvell was the OC at Arizona State - and we can see how that worked out.

Hawginj

Quote from: Tortfeasor on November 15, 2017, 05:47:20 pm
Just for the record, I would take Norvell right now. The situation Gus went into  wasn't the same and he runs a completely different system than what was there before him.
I understand I use Gus as a bench mark since I guess word is hes #1 option I hope thats just talk.

jvanhorn

Quote from: redneckfriend on November 15, 2017, 05:17:46 pm
No, he'll need to recruit some players that can play in the SEC i.e. have speed. Same problem every potential coach faces so the bottom line question regarding Norvell- can he recruit?

It is my understanding that he has recruited the best class in the history of Memphis football.  If true evidently he can recruit.  The more I see of him the more he reminds me of Lincoln Riley at OU.  They too are top heavy on offense, but I think he is starting to realize that he is going to have to upgrade the defense at OU if he really wants a chance at a NC.

AflacHawg

Year 2 vs Year 5

Matt Burks

39 Texas A&M
55.  Florida
61.  Arkansas State
75  Kentucky
76.  Vanderbilt
86.  Tennessee
90.  Arkansas
93.  Missouri
111.  Memphis

You do realize that Memphis lost a lot of defensive players due to injuries early in the season and that they are playing a lot of young, inexperienced players there, right?

SultanofSwine

They have more or less played the majority of the season with the second string defense due to all of the injuries. Would we be ranked ahead of them defensively if we had done the same?

rzrbk4life

Is there really that big a difference between the 90th ranked defense and the 111th ranked? Both those are pretty bad
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Hawginj

Quote from: rzrbk4life on November 15, 2017, 07:43:04 pm
Is there really that big a difference between the 90th ranked defense and the 111th ranked? Both those are pretty bad
I really wouldn't call it a difference

hogfansince79

Quote from: colbs on November 15, 2017, 05:05:59 pm
Is that scoring defense or yards?

Here are the rankings for points per game ... more important than yards imo.

Offense
1     UCF             48.6
6     Memphis      42.3
36   Wash St.      33.0
70   Arkansas      27.9

Defense
1       Alabama      11.2
38     Wash St.      22.9
95     Memphis      31.2
114   Arkansas      35.8
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 15, 2017, 07:51:34 pm
Here are the rankings for points per game ... more important than yards imo.

Offense
1     UCF             48.6
6     Memphis      42.3
36   Wash St.      33.0
70   Arkansas      27.9

Defense
1       Alabama      11.2
38     Wash St.      22.9
95     Memphis      31.2
114   Arkansas      35.8
Now wait just a second! Are you trying to tell me that yards don't win games?!?  ;)

hogfansince79

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 15, 2017, 07:55:28 pm
Now wait just a second! Are you trying to tell me that yards don't win games?!?  ;)

Yeah, I never have understood why people are so hung up on yards per game.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Lard

39 Texas A&M
55.  Florida
61.  Arkansas State
75  Kentucky
76.  Vanderbilt
86.  Tennessee
90.  Arkansas
93.  Missouri
111.  Memphis

Norvell is a big gamble IMO.  But all coaches are and he'd be a cheaper gamble than a big name.  I just hate to hire someone based on less than 4 seasons.  I want to see what 4 years under him looks like.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

Hawginj

Quote from: Lard on November 15, 2017, 08:27:46 pm
Norvell is a big gamble IMO.  But all coaches are and he'd be a cheaper gamble than a big name.  I just hate to hire someone based on less than 4 seasons.  I want to see what 4 years under him looks like.
with all do respect a fair size contingent was looking to make Gus our coach with only 1 year as Hc under his belt in the sunbelt conference. Look at Oklahoma they had no problem hiring Riley with no "experience " I use that term loosely.  Look at VA Tech took Fuente with just a couple years at Memphis. List goes on and on. A name means nothing without a fit.

clutch

They played one game with 8 starters out on defense!

colbs

You can get Norvell at a lower price.  Just make sure up front that he's willing to go out and get a big name DC.  Give him the funds to do that.  If they are willing to pay Gus' buyout, $5M salary, $1M DC, and salary for rest of staff then they should be able to give Norvell a large amount to work with.  I hope they do this with whoever they hire.  If they are spending all of this money then you might as well go all-in and give the next coach as many resources as possible. 

Hawginj

Quote from: colbs on November 15, 2017, 08:53:24 pm
You can get Norvell at a lower price.  Just make sure up front that he's willing to go out and get a big name DC.  Give him the funds to do that.  If they are willing to pay Gus' buyout, $5M salary, $1M DC, and salary for rest of staff then they should be able to give Norvell a large amount to work with.  I hope they do this with whoever they hire.  If they are spending all of this money then you might as well go all-in and give the next coach as many resources as possible.
I can get behind that!

bennyl08

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 15, 2017, 08:03:04 pm
Yeah, I never have understood why people are so hung up on yards per game.

A few things. First, the two are generally pretty highly correlated. You're not going to generally see a team that gives up a ton of yards and doesn't give up a lot of points same as you won't see a team that gives up a lot of points but not many yards. So, let's break it down into the 4 possible cases.

Case 1: Teams gives up a lot of yards and a lot of points. Odds are that isn't going to be a very good DC or the DC was just in a really bad position. But, you won't be any worse off looking at yards or points.

Case 2: Teams gives up few yards and few points. Same as above but flipped.

Case 3: Teams gives up a lot of yards but few points. What is happening here is that the defense can't stop the offense b/w the 20's but once in the redzone, opposing offenses struggle to score. This can only occur if the defense clamps down in the red zone or the opposing offenses make mistakes in the redzone. Assuming things average out over the multiple offenses played against, the defense is the one common factor. This is characteristic of a bend but don't break defense. Your defense will stay on the field longer and your offense gets cold on the sideline. The DC is good at scheming in a simpler environment such as less space, but struggles when the offense has more options and room.

Case 4: Teams gives up fewer yards but more points. This is a rarer example. Most likely scenario here is that the defense is usually put on a short field relative to most other defenses. When the opposing offense needs to drive the ball down the field, this defense can and usually does stop them, but too often, the defense can get a three and out and still give up a fg because the offense had a turnover or special teams gave up a big return.

Obviously ideally you want a case 1 DC and you avoid case 2 at all cost. However, you could end up with a case 3 or 4. Me, I'd prefer to gamble on case 4 than a case 3. You hope you can fix the offense and special teams and thus not have so many short fields and that will lead to a case 1 scenario. With a case 3, there's nothing you can really hod hope for with improvement.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

robmc1883

I can't defend his defensive ranking, but what I'd like is his mentality. He is aggressive and it shows as his team is 8th in the nation in take ways. With out talent deficit we much be an attacking, aggressive defense that comes from the head coach.

Hawginj

Quote from: robmc1883 on November 15, 2017, 09:03:36 pm
I can't defend his defensive ranking, but what I'd like is his mentality. He is aggressive and it shows as his team is 8th in the nation in take ways. With out talent deficit we much be an attacking, aggressive defense that comes from the head coach.
totally agree thats why the numbers really don't bother me.

arcowboy

I believe the best thing that you guys can and should do is buy season tickets to Memphis football next year and enjoy yourselves.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Thats why you hire a good defensive coordinator
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hawginj

Quote from: arcowboy on November 15, 2017, 09:26:36 pm
I believe the best thing that you guys can and should do is buy season tickets to Memphis football next year and enjoy yourselves.
well if Gus is hired I might do that if Mike is still there not that big of a difference  Fayetteville/ Texarkana  Memphis/ Texarkana.

Piggfoot

There is no accurate way to compare P5 schools records with nonP5 schools. Similarly you can't compare any catagory in any confrence  when comparing with the SEC West. At best it is a guess. Arkansas has never hired a coach from a non power 5
School.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pork Twain

November 15, 2017, 09:58:21 pm #37 Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:34:38 pm by Pork Twain
Some of you crack me up.  You don't want to knock his defense because he plays in a conference not known for defense but want to heap praise on him for his offense...in...a...conference...that...is...not...known...for...defense...

Maybe he would be great here, but if does not field a defense worth a darn, it won't matter.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawginj

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 15, 2017, 09:52:56 pm
There is no accurate way to compare P5 schools records with nonP5 schools. Similarly you can't compare any catagory in any confrence  when comparing with the SEC West. At best it is a guess. Arkansas has never hired a coach from a non power 5
School.
shire they have Boise isnt power 5, air force isn't power 5

nwahogfan1

Quote from: colbs on November 15, 2017, 08:53:24 pm

I hope he can get a big time DC but recruiting is so important.  Lots of good coaches out there with good knowledge of the Xs and Os but you in the SECW you better get the JOEs. 

The whole key to a new coach is recruiting.  We need a coach who knows Arkansas kids and who can go into Texas and other SEC recruiting areas and get us ball players with speed and athleticism. 

HoggyCat

He's following a coach that established a wining team in a group of 5 conference. He'll be building a team in arguably the toughest division in college football. He's not the man RIGHT NOW.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

And put Auburn's offense rating up there. The choice is clear

Hawg Life

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 15, 2017, 10:44:42 pm
He's following a coach that established a wining team in a group of 5 conference. He'll be building a team in arguably the toughest division in college football. He's not the man RIGHT NOW.

He's playing his players, recruited highest class in Memphis history, if Norvell inherit success so did Gus, Norvell runs an innovative offense, and yes his time is now. There's a reason he's a candidate for every open HC job in the SEC, as well as ANY other conference. He's 36 with the highest cieling of ANY ONE mentioned as a possible coach of The Razorbacks. I'm sure you'd take Venables and he hasn't coach any games.

Hawg Life

Quote from: arcowboy on November 15, 2017, 09:26:36 pm

Guaranteed Norvell won't be there.. he'll be here.

Hawginj

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 10:50:38 pm
He's playing his players, recruited highest class in Memphis history, if Norvell inherit success so did Gus, Norvell runs an innovative offense, and yes his time is now. There's a reason he's a candidate for every open HC job in the SEC, as well as ANY other conference. He's 36 with the highest cieling of ANY ONE mentioned as a possible coach of The Razorbacks. I'm sure you'd take Venables and he hasn't coach any games.
Booyawww! That is the stuff. But alas they just A. Don't understand B. Don't want to understand. Or C just don't give a crap cause GUS IS AMAZING!!! OH MY GAWD!

Matt Burks

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 10:52:53 pm
Guaranteed Norvell won't be there.. he'll be here.
I hope you are right.

Mike_e

We need a guy that can Lead.

Lead his players by not what he says but by what he does and make them united under him.

Lead his fan base not because of what he says but what he does both professionally and personally and unites them behind the program and the team.

One of the guys we're talking about here Has demonstrated this.  The other seems to like the divide and conquer approach.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

sigpooie

Mike or gus can get us back in the top 20. Either are also capable of winning it all. Let the Jimmy sexton do there job cause it's really up to them. And let's just hope he's not mad at us this time.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

jkstock04

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 15, 2017, 09:58:21 pm
Some of you crack me up.  You don't want to knock his defense because he plays in a conference not known for defense but want to heap praise on him for his offense...in...a...conference...that...is...not...known...for...defense...

Maybe he would be great here, but if does not field a defense worth a darn, it won't matter.
Lol...this is a decent point. What I would say to this is, with the way we recruit, fielding a high powered offense is going to be a much easier path and give us a better chance to win more games. Our best recipe would be like a defense we had in 2010. For sure not dominant, but a few playmakers that play good enough as to not be a detriment.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 09:34:32 pm
well if Gus is hired I might do that if Mike is still there not that big of a difference  Fayetteville/ Texarkana  Memphis/ Texarkana.

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 10:55:58 pm
Booyawww! That is the stuff. But alas they just A. Don't understand B. Don't want to understand. Or C just don't give a crap cause GUS IS AMAZING!!! OH MY GAWD!

or maybe "they" are being completely logical.  Bringing in a coach with ZERO SEC experience is not a promising scenario. Your attempts to put Norvell on the same level as Gus is laughable....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******