Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on Mike Norvell choosing Arkansas over UF

Started by ipigsooie, November 01, 2017, 10:37:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HawgPilot

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 03:01:58 pm
I apologize and i also apologize for using the term arky. Ive clicked everywhere i can to edit the post but i cant find the edit button. Is it only available to desktops? I am on a tablet.
Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 02:49:34 pm
What do you mean by "accepted"?  Is it the term accepted by Arkansans as the official reference to a person from Arkansas?  No.  Here, among other things, is what is written at the link:

"noun, Slang: Usually Disparaging and Offensive"

The accepted term for a person from Arkansas is "Arkansan".  "Arkie" is a term that arose in pop culture during the dust bowl.  "Arky" is a recent and offensive reference to the state of Arkansas, the Razorbacks football team, and/or the University of Arkansas.

Look - if you didn't know this when you titled this thread, no big deal.  To act as if the rest of us who educated you on it don't know what we are talking about doesn't make any sense.  Fix the title of the thread and move on.

And avoid calling posters here "snowflakes" and the like until you get to know us a little better. 

In fairness, you called the poster a "punk" first.  Just trying to keep it real 8)

Hawg Life

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on November 01, 2017, 03:05:39 pm
Norvell has been a head coach for 21 games with Fuentes players (especiallt the QB).   He has one good win, #18 Houston last year.  59th and 61th recruiting classes...versus 77th or 92nd?  That's giving Rivals or 24/7 way to much credit.

Is he the next Saban? maybe, but you guys are just guessing and hoping because the resume isn't there.

Ferguson is not Fuente's QB that was Paxton Lynch. Norvell is playing a ton of Freshmen and Sophomores and they are his players. Norvell also just signed the best class in Memphis football history.

The Hawg Marshal

OP apologized and changed the thread title, what more do you guys want? Let it go , get back on topic.

Paul

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 01, 2017, 03:37:49 pm
So where is Norvells wife from? Does no one know her?
She's from Fort Smith.  I read on a previous thread that her brother lives in Fayetteville & Norvell supposedly bought a lot or house in Beaver Lake in May. 

Harleigh Hog

FWIW I think Norvell would be an outstanding fit for numerous reasons. If you think about it the Arkansas/Memphis situation isn't all that different, relatively speaking.  We are often not the first choice (or second or third for that matter) for high level recruits save the occasional Agim that falls in our lap.  Our next coach will need to have a system that gives 3*'s a chance on the field against 4 and 5's.  Norvell has proven this works by taking a bunch of 2 and 3*'s and beating two ranked teams this year.  His best receiver is a walk-on from Memphis and lights it up every game.
I live in Memphis and can tell you that his community presence is outstanding and the town loves him.  At last check, 13 of the starters listed are his players not Fuente's. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Paul on November 01, 2017, 03:25:20 pm
Broyles coached 10 games before coming to the Hogs;  BTW, the gunslinger QB was out of football working in a car wash(I think) before showing up at Memphis;  the NFL receiver as a walk-on from Christian Brothers High

Man, why are people so dense?  I mean it's like they didn't know anything but wanted to just be a part of the conversation... 

The gunslinger QB, had other people looking at him and had other schools looking at him.  Texas being one of the bigger schools actually.

That NFL receiver is a Fuente recruit, which again makes my point. 

Broyles time was much different than now.  Again, I have never said Norvell is not a good coach, but some people are to dense to see the full picture here of what I am saying.  Proceed on...

bphi11ips

Quote from: HawgPilot on November 01, 2017, 03:53:24 pm
In fairness, you called the poster a "punk" first.  Just trying to keep it real 8)

Wrong.  Look again.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 03:01:58 pm
I apologize and i also apologize for using the term arky. Ive clicked everywhere i can to edit the post but i cant find the edit button. Is it only available to desktops? I am on a tablet.

You're a good man.  Apology accepted.  Sorry I called you a punk. You proved otherwise. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Well... The guy is my favorite choice, but I'm nostalgic at heart and would love to see this guy come home and have an Arkansas boy lift up this Arkansas program.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Paul

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 04:24:08 pm
Man, why are people so dense?  I mean it's like they didn't know anything but wanted to just be a part of the conversation... 

The gunslinger QB, had other people looking at him and had other schools looking at him.  Texas being one of the bigger schools actually.

That NFL receiver is a Fuente recruit, which again makes my point. 

Broyles time was much different than now.  Again, I have never said Norvell is not a good coach, but some people are to dense to see the full picture here of what I am saying.  Proceed on...
Oh okay. but Norvell signed the QB & coached him up.  the WR was coached by both Fuente & Norvell & is now the all time leading receiver.  No reason to call people names.  you have your agenda & I have mine.  Doesn't mean you're dense cuz I'm surely not 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Paul on November 01, 2017, 04:29:45 pm
  Oh okay. but Norvell signed the QB & coached him up.  the WR was coached by both Fuente & Norvell & is now the all time leading receiver.  No reason to call people names.  you have your agenda & I have mine.  Doesn't mean you're dense cuz I'm surely not

Show my Agenda?  it's not an agenda pointing out that his success has not been solely something he built. 

It's like giving Bielema success for Philon, Flowers, and Wise on the defensive line. 

There is a complete picture that one must take in, looking at that complete picture is not an agenda!  I'd support the guy if he came here, but in the coaching discussion it's not unfair to mention his success is not only on him.  He is just keeping going what has been there, and in the short term that is easier than building your own thing.  If we want to give him full credit for everything at Memphis, shouldn't we also then blame him for their errors and some of the dirty plays?  I personally say no, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

razorsharptusk

Quote from: hogsrule44 on November 01, 2017, 10:50:33 am
If we wait until next season then we won't have to worry about hiring him. He will be somewhere else.

This.
GO HOGS!!

Paul

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 04:36:15 pm
Show my Agenda?  it's not an agenda pointing out that his success has not been solely something he built. 

It's like giving Bielema success for Philon, Flowers, and Wise on the defensive line. 

There is a complete picture that one must take in, looking at that complete picture is not an agenda!  I'd support the guy if he came here, but in the coaching discussion it's not unfair to mention his success is not only on him.  He is just keeping going what has been there, and in the short term that is easier than building your own thing.  If we want to give him full credit for everything at Memphis, shouldn't we also then blame him for their errors and some of the dirty plays?  I personally say no, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
no one on this thread has intimated that he built Memphis...Fuente gets that credit.  However, Norvell has taken the team higher in AP/coaches poll rankings & recruiting rankings than Fuente ever did so he deserves credit for that.  He also gets blame for stupid coaching decisions, but what are you talking about when you say:  "errors & some of their dirty plays"?
I live in Memphis & have friends that are Memphis boosters & others in the Memphis media.   They know coaching the Hogs is his dream job.  They are  resigned that he will leave for a better job this year.  Whether we hire him this year is the question.  Your idea of "the complete picture" reflect your personal bias...as is mine.  Nothing personal from my side.  Shouldn't be from your side either.

HawgPilot

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 04:25:03 pm
Wrong.  Look again.

You're right, I missed that among all the back and forth.  My apologies to you.

Qadi999

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 02:49:34 pm
What do you mean by "accepted"?  Is it the term accepted by Arkansans as the official reference to a person from Arkansas?  No.  Here, among other things, is what is written at the link:

"noun, Slang: Usually Disparaging and Offensive"

The accepted term for a person from Arkansas is "Arkansan".  "Arkie" is a term that arose in pop culture during the dust bowl.  "Arky" is a recent and offensive reference to the state of Arkansas, the Razorbacks football team, and/or the University of Arkansas.

Look - if you didn't know this when you titled this thread, no big deal.  To act as if the rest of us who educated you on it don't know what we are talking about doesn't make any sense.  Fix the title of the thread and move on.

And avoid calling posters here "snowflakes" and the like until you get to know us a little better. 
You are a  snowflake, have a coke and a smile and STFU.  I'm sick of having to scroll thru your yammering to find something worth reading.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 01, 2017, 04:29:19 pm
Well... The guy is my favorite choice, but I'm nostalgic at heart and would love to see this guy come home and have an Arkansas boy lift up this Arkansas program.

He's from Irving, TX.  He just went to college in AR.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Qadi999 on November 01, 2017, 05:13:01 pm
You are a  snowflake, have a coke and a smile and STFU.  I'm sick of having to scroll thru your yammering to find something worth reading.

Buh Bye....

Kneph13

Norvell may have been born in Texas.  But he is a converted Arkansan after graduating from UCA and marrying an Arkansan from Fort Smith.
Hell, I'm was born in Southern California and grew up there.  At 14 I came to Arkansas, I was immediately converted. Loved the culture and people.  Woo Pig Sooie!  Root Hog!  Go Hogs!  Razorbacks!

Please come home Norvell
There is no Political Correctness in war

Bacons Rebellion

Either Norvell or Campbell would be a worthy choice. They are both young, both energetic. Novell "knows the territory" better than Campbell would at first, but Campbell has a little bit better resume perhaps, being at Iowa State and having notched his recent wins against first class competition.

There's really no way to know which would be better except by hunch or guess.

I would take either over a guy who has too much experience like Miles or Grobe, etc. I don't want the Danny Ford experience again where his heart wasn't in it and he was quite willing to get back to his ranch somewhere else.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 01, 2017, 05:16:10 pm
He's from Irving, TX.  He just went to college in AR.

Close enough for me... ;) Hell, destiny and karma both owe us big-time for Paul Bear Bryan't. We shipped that one out to Bama. Texas can pay us back, because Texas owe's us too by damn.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Paul on November 01, 2017, 04:54:04 pm
  no one on this thread has intimated that he built Memphis...Fuente gets that credit.  However, Norvell has taken the team higher in AP/coaches poll rankings & recruiting rankings than Fuente ever did so he deserves credit for that.  He also gets blame for stupid coaching decisions, but what are you talking about when you say:  "errors & some of their dirty plays"?
I live in Memphis & have friends that are Memphis boosters & others in the Memphis media.   They know coaching the Hogs is his dream job.  They are  resigned that he will leave for a better job this year.  Whether we hire him this year is the question.  Your idea of "the complete picture" reflect your personal bias...as is mine.  Nothing personal from my side.  Shouldn't be from your side either.

Off of memory here, so may have been during Fuente's time, but didn't they have some fighting issues on the field and suspensions?

hawgbawb

A young up and comer with Arkansas ties, as well as connections in the nearby recruiting areas of Memphis and Tulsa. 

Sounds good to me.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

ipigsooie

Quote from: hawgbawb on November 01, 2017, 06:00:24 pm
A young up and comer with Arkansas ties, as well as connections in the nearby recruiting areas of Memphis and Tulsa. 

Sounds good to me.

Also the DFW area.

Hawg Life

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 06:01:58 pm
Also the DFW area.

I believe Grant Gunnell will give us a strong look and end up a hog with Norvell as coach.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Kneph13 on November 01, 2017, 05:37:21 pm
Norvell may have been born in Texas.  But he is a converted Arkansan after graduating from UCA and marrying an Arkansan from Fort Smith.
Hell, I'm was born in Southern California and grew up there.  At 14 I came to Arkansas, I was immediately converted. Loved the culture and people.  Woo Pig Sooie!  Root Hog!  Go Hogs!  Razorbacks!

Please come home Norvell

Norvell is the man.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

secfan30

He is one of the three who I feel are possible I'd be happy with. Hire him 12/01 and let him coach Memphis in their bowl game. 

LZH

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 11:42:45 am
I didnt know it was disrespectful to use the term "arky" for arkansas. I guess i better be careful when referring to okie as oklahoma or mizzou as missouri or tenner for tennessee. Im sorry i wasnt pc enough for you snowflake.

When my dad was in the Navy, it was considered a badge of honor.

GuvHog

Quote from: secfan30 on November 02, 2017, 12:26:36 am
He is one of the three who I feel are possible I'd be happy with. Hire him 12/01 and let him coach Memphis in their bowl game. 

With early signing period looming in December, the U of A can't afford to wait till January to hire a head coach. It has to be done ASAP after the regular season ends.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: secfan30 on November 02, 2017, 12:26:36 am

Naw if he is the guy he won't coach their bowl game.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: rhames on November 02, 2017, 08:02:04 am

Naw if he is the guy he won't coach their bowl game.

Correct, that rarely happens any more.  A bit of a delay will come from their conf championship game which will be held on 12/2.  So earliest they would probably announce if it was Norvell would be 12/4.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Paul on November 01, 2017, 04:09:16 pm
She's from Fort Smith.  I read on a previous thread that her brother lives in Fayetteville & Norvell supposedly bought a lot or house in Beaver Lake in May.

And no one knows her??

rhames

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 02, 2017, 08:20:34 am
Correct, that rarely happens any more.  A bit of a delay will come from their conf championship game which will be held on 12/2.  So earliest they would probably announce if it was Norvell would be 12/4.

Yeah. That's what I would expect as well.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Paul on November 01, 2017, 04:09:16 pm

I don't have a clue about Her brother , but he did buy a house on Beaver Lake.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 02, 2017, 08:21:32 am
And no one knows her??

Norvell is married to the former Maria Chiolino of Fort Smith. They both went to school at UCA
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on November 01, 2017, 12:18:02 pm
I just marvel at those on here saying " Norvell is THE GUY " " Norvell is the next Urban" etc.
Here is one thing you would have to agree with...he is at least hireable. I'm going to make an assumption he would actually come here to be our coach. It's not like people are actively discussing Chip Kelly or Jon Gruden.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RazorPiggie

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 02, 2017, 08:29:34 am
Norvell is married to the former Maria Chiolino of Fort Smith. They both went to school at UCA

question still stands lol.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 02, 2017, 08:30:11 am
Here is one thing you would have to agree with...he is at least hireable. I'm going to make an assumption he would actually come here to be our coach. It's not like people are actively discussing Chip Kelly or Jon Gruden.

I have said he might do a great job here, no one knows. My comment is about those saying that he is a slam dunk. Yes, he is hireable.

I just find it so funny, and this goes well beyond just Hog fans, every year a guy no one has heard much of starts out having a great year and suddenly he is the next great thing. People base this on no more than a handful of games.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on November 02, 2017, 08:37:29 am
I have said he might do a great job here, no one knows. My comment is about those saying that he is a slam dunk. Yes, he is hireable.

I just find it so funny, and this goes well beyond just Hog fans, every year a guy no one has heard much of starts out having a great year and suddenly he is the next great thing. People base this on no more than a handful of games.   

I just find it so funny that you are so vastly superior to the huddled masses.

Football coaches are people.  The best football coaches over time tend to be intelligent, articulate, and charismatic - like Frank Broyles. 

Switchback

He would be an awful hire.  Only 2 years of experience in the AAC conference and everyone wants to hand him the keys?  He tied for 3rd in his own conference last year and I doubt he wins it this year.  I can't believe he's even in the conversation.  I mean if we hire a coach from a non power 5 conference they should demonstrate they can build the team and win it on their own.

rhames

Quote from: Switchback on November 02, 2017, 08:48:39 am
He would be an awful hire.  Only 2 years of experience in the AAC conference and everyone wants to hand him the keys?  He tied for 3rd in his own conference last year and I doubt he wins it this year.  I can't believe he's even in the conversation.  I mean if we hire a coach from a non power 5 conference they should demonstrate they can build the team and win it on their own.

So who would that be?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Switchback on November 02, 2017, 08:48:39 am

The guy in your avatar was 33 when John Barnhill hired him after posting a 5-4-1 record at Missouri in his only year as a head coach. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 02, 2017, 08:59:06 am
The guy in your avatar was 33 when John Barnhill hired him after posting a 5-4-1 record at Missouri in his only year as a head coach.

You are our Beano Cook. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 02, 2017, 08:46:48 am
I just find it so funny that you are so vastly superior to the huddled masses.

Football coaches are people.  The best football coaches over time tend to be intelligent, articulate, and charismatic - like Frank Broyles. 

So because I find it odd how, based on a season and a half worth of games, so many are tagging this guy as the next Urban Meyer I somehow think I am superior to everyone? I said he may do a great job, MAY. That is the point, no one KNOWS.

In 1998, many were saying the same thing about HDN, after they started 8-0. Yea, he turned out to be not so great. Rich Rodriguez was going to be the next great thing after what he did at WV. He was 60-26 at WV, and is 42-31 since then, including a losing record at Mich. If memory serves me correctly, Bama went after him BEFORE they hired Saban. The coaching landscape is littered with guys who were a sure bet to be the next great coach, and none of them panned out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 02, 2017, 08:59:06 am

And there was every bit the chance, when he was hired, he was not going to turn into anything great. After Saban had been at Mich St for 11/2 seasons, no one knew he would some day win like he has at Bama.

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 02, 2017, 09:01:45 am
So because I find it odd how, based on a season and a half worth of games, so many are tagging this guy as the next Urban Meyer I somehow think I am superior to everyone? I said he may do a great job, MAY. That is the point, no one KNOWS.

In 1998, many were saying the same thing about HDN, after they started 8-0. Yea, he turned out to be not so great. Rich Rodriguez was going to be the next great thing after what he did at WV. He was 60-26 at WV, and is 42-31 since then, including a losing record at Mich. If memory serves me correctly, Bama went after him BEFORE they hired Saban. The coaching landscape is littered with guys who were a sure bet to be the next great coach, and none of them panned out.

Houston Nutt had his drama but to say he wasnt a good hire is silly imo. He and ford are the only coaches  we have ever had that have taken us to the sec championship and he did it twice. He is also the only coach that we have had that has been the sec coach of the year, which he also did twice.  I think HDN is one of the best coaches that we have had. Id out him in the top 5. I think there was just too much bs with him and that hurt his image.   My top 5 coaches.
1. Frank Broyles
2. Lou holtz
3. Ken Hatfield
4. Houston Nutt
5. Bobby Petrino

Pork Twain

I think this guy would be the perfect hire for us.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogsanity on November 02, 2017, 09:03:22 am
And there was every bit the chance, when he was hired, he was not going to turn into anything great. After Saban had been at Mich St for 11/2 seasons, no one knew he would some day win like he has at Bama.
I'll ask you again. Who is "the guy" then?