Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on Mike Norvell choosing Arkansas over UF

Started by ipigsooie, November 01, 2017, 10:37:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 11:53:43 am
I just am having a hard time pushing all my chips in on Norvell at this time.  His resume is too short for me.  He is also having his success because of a gunslinger QB throwing to an NFL receiver.  He is in a conference that allows for domination when having just one or two top talent level players, and it's his ONLY thing he is being judge on at the moment. 

If I remember right, Bielema's buyout was cheap, don't look at a cheap buyout as a reason.  Nutt thought araknsas was a destination job, that didn't workout great.

I'm ok being the Utah to Urban Meyer, look how that worked out?  I am ok with Arkansas not being a destination job for the next coach, with success comes poaching, I'm fine with that!  We can pay a coach and staff with the big boys if success is being had. 

All this being said, if it's Norvell vs Miles, Norvell vs Grobe, etc, Norvell every day of the week please.  I'd put Norvell behind a Veneables experiment though.

Norvell is in my top 3 but Brent Venables has been #1 for some time now.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Life

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on November 01, 2017, 01:36:26 pm
I guess I don't worry about what people call me, especially ones who don't know me.

No, she doesn't use a wolf howl to call the Hogs.

59 is the best recruiting class Memphis has EVER had!!!

Ā 

ricepig

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 01:39:23 pm
Really? I bleed razorback red. 2006 grad. Born in malvern and graduated from magnet cove high. I attend 3 games a year, and id go to more if i could afford it, i joined hv this year due to my discontempt for the staff. Ive never been upset enough with our program to rant and rave about the staff until this year. Youll notice i joined shortly after the SC loss. I had no idea that it is considered an insult to be called an arky. Maybe i am sheltered or whatever.  Even if it is considered an insult i am proud to be an arky. I apologize if it offended anyone to br called an arky. I forget the political climate that we live in today and that just about any term you use is an insult to someone. I personally used the term to save space on the headline.

Wouldn't ARK have saved space over the above?

bphi11ips

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on November 01, 2017, 01:23:22 pm
My mom  is 83, she has told me all my life we are Arkys. She was born and raised here.

Your mother was talking about "arkies", not "arkys".  I suspect she was referring to it in much the same way Merle Haggard used it when he wrote he was "proud to be an Okie from Muskogee".  Haggard was from Bakersfield, California.  He would have heard the terms as a kid to refer to migrant workers who flocked to California during the Depression to escape the dust bowl.  Haggard no doubt knew people who were proud of their roots.

"Arky" has been a pejorative reference for a few years now on college football message boards.  Les Miles, I believe, used the term in an interview.  He has also misprounced Arkansas as ArKANSAS.  Not cool. 

I went to school at Arkansas and don't appreciate my alma mater being referred to as "Arky" by a supposed native and fan on a Razorbacks message board.  That is all.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 01:44:29 pm
Your mother was talking about "arkies", not "arkys".  I suspect she was referring to it in much the same way Merle Haggard used it when he wrote he was "proud to be an Okie from Muskogee".  Haggard was from Bakersfield, California.  He would have heard the terms as a kid to refer to migrant workers who flocked to California during the Depression to escape the dust bowl.  Haggard no doubt knew people who were proud of their roots.

"Arky" has been a pejorative reference for a few years now on college football message boards.  Les Miles, I believe, used the term in an interview.  He has also misprounced Arkansas as ArKANSAS.  Not cool. 

I went to school at Arkansas and don't appreciate my alma mater being referred to as "Arky" by a supposed native and fan on a Razorbacks message board.  That is all.

Sorry, Hilary.

Porkette

The two coaches with the best resumes at the time that Arkansas hired them (at least in the modern era) were Danny Ford and Bret Bielema. We see how those turned out.

We want to catch a coach at the right time, who is the right fit for US, who will have his best years at Arkansas, not who had them elsewhere. Of course I don't know who that is (you never really know) but it could be Norvell. Current resume isn't everything.
GO HOGS GO!

Gonzo

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 12:52:56 pm
Is there a reason that Venables name isnt coming up on any of the lists that the national writers are making for the schools that may have openings?  Why isnt his name getting more consideration?

Venables has been an assistant for a pretty long time now, probably longer than most who make the transition to the HC job.  While I don't think it says anything in particular about his desire or not to become one, I suspect writers and talking heads at some point start figuring guys like that aren't likely to make the switch anymore and are looking for the more likely candidates for the their lists.

Doesn't mean he might not decide to do it for the right job in his eyes, and he might be a really good one. Also, not being on those folks lists much doesn't mean he might not be on several ADs' lists, as you alluded to.

Go Hogs!

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 01:44:29 pm

[/quot

Thanks so much for explaining my moms thought process. I was responding to the poster that said locals did not use the term "Arky"

bphi11ips

Really? I bleed razorback red. 2006 grad. Born in malvern and graduated from magnet cove high. I attend 3 games a year, and id go to more if i could afford it, i joined hv this year due to my discontempt for the staff. Ive never been upset enough with our program to rant and rave about the staff until this year. Youll notice i joined shortly after the SC loss. I had no idea that it is considered an insult to be called an arky. Maybe i am sheltered or whatever.  Even if it is considered an insult i am proud to be an arky. I apologize if it offended anyone to br called an arky. I forget the political climate that we live in today and that just about any term you use is an insult to someone. I personally used the term to save space on the headline.

As I said above, ignorance can be excused, rudeness not so much.  You have now been educated.  Political correctness has nothing to do with anything here.  Calling me a snowflake was pretty d@mn rude.

sickboy

Watch us end up hiring someone crazy out of left field. Like Hue Jackson.

311Hog

also always endearing to work in "politics and how people are too sensitive these days".... while being sensitive and offended .....

clutch

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 11:02:05 am
Just because Norvell may not be the coach come January 1 here, does not mean Jeff Long screwed it up. 

There are coaches higher on the pecking order in a lot of peoples minds (Matt campbell from ISU is one) that should get an offer or interview before Norvell. 

Many people are liking the flash in the pan success Norvell is having, I would personally rather someone more proven or had longer success.  Norvell took over a program that Fuente turned around and had some decent players for that conference already on the team.  Norvell picked up right where Fuente left off, sure, but that doesn't mean he is great!  He is very early in the up and comer department.  And if you have watched his games, he does have his moments, but at the same time there is just not enough of a resume as a head coach yet. 

He has more of a track record as a HC than both Gus Malzahn and Hugh Freeze had before they were hired into the SEC. Both of them were considered hot shot up and comers. He also has more of a track record as an OC than either of those guys had.

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

Ā 

bphi11ips

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on November 01, 2017, 01:50:23 pm
Thanks so much for explaining my moms thought process. I was responding to the poster that said locals did not use the term "Arky"

I couldn't care less about your mom's thought process.  What I do care about is whether people understand the difference between "arkie" as it relates to migrant workers from Arkansas during the Depression and "Arky", which is a pejorative reference to the state, university and football team. 

Big Boi

Seems to have the potential to be the next Butch Jones.

ipigsooie

Quote from: 311Hog on November 01, 2017, 01:54:16 pm
also always endearing to work in "politics and how people are too sensitive these days".... while being sensitive and offended .....

Actually i wasnt offended at all. I wanted to make it clear that i am a hog fan. Always have been and always will be.

HawgTide

Quote from: Boarsnest on November 01, 2017, 12:48:34 pm
Pretty interesting that Norvell's name is coming up with Fl, TN, Ole Miss and other schools but he is not experienced enough for some of you. I would hope the PTB reach out to Campbell, Frost, Venables, Brohm and Morris to gauge interest in the job. IMO you have to also give Norvell a serious look. There is no guarantee with anyone that is hired and Saban ain't walking through the door. It will be a roll of the dice with any of them.

You nailed it. We need to make a change and find the right fit for the UofA. It doesn't matter if he's a lifetime coordinator, a young up and comer or a big name. It's much more important to win on the field than win the press conference.

311Hog

Quote from: Big Boi on November 01, 2017, 01:56:04 pm

do you mean a Champion of Life?

Drop the Mike

Well I believe norvells wife was at fs north side at about the same time as matt jones, so they might know each other. We know jones wants a new coach, so I wonder if matt can offer some encouragement to Mrs norvell on that front?

sickboy

Quote from: Big Boi on November 01, 2017, 01:56:04 pm

Or the next Urban Meyer. You just never know.

311Hog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 01:56:28 pm
Actually i wasnt offended at all. I wanted to make it clear that i am a hog fan. Always have been and always will be.

Sure, that is always why guys pull out that tired old line of internet "tough guy" speak.  even followed it up with Hilary i surprised you even used the H instead of the K you part brain washed and don't even know it, then again you didn't have the decency to go to Malvern High School.

Insert blah blah liberal, blah blah safe spaces, blah blah blah.

onebadrubi

Quote from: clutch on November 01, 2017, 01:54:42 pm
He has more of a track record as a HC than both Gus Malzahn and Hugh Freeze had before they were hired into the SEC. Both of them were considered hot shot up and comers. He also has more of a track record as an OC than either of those guys had.

Auburn took Gus because they thought he might be the reason for the jus tpast national championship, Cheezit went like 4-8 or whatever and sucked hte year after Gus left, all to realize that year was attributed to Cam. 

Hugh was going to a program that was severly down and was the local guy that would play the game, I believe. 

Both programs took a shot, correct, but I see each situation differently.  If Norvell had been the reason BA turned around in 15 and we went on a tear, I could see it a little differently. 

Again, I'm not saying I am against Norvell and fighting the idea of him being our HC, just not completely sold on him.  I fought the same battle lsat year at this time when everyone wanted PR to take over for Smith at DC.  I didn't like his resume at the time and I don't like Norvell's. However, I am not the one making the decision, and I will say I think PR's has done as good of a job as he could believe it or not.  He is directly responsible for our DB's and they are playing better than we have seen in some time.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 01:55:38 pm
I couldn't care less about your mom's thought process.  What I do care about is whether people understand the difference between "arkie" as it relates to migrant workers from Arkansas during the Depression and "Arky", which is a pejorative reference to the state, university and football team.

I was responding to another poster
as I said. You go right ahead being thin skinned, maybe it will serve you well.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HawgTide on November 01, 2017, 01:56:48 pm

You nailed it. We need to make a change and find the right fit for the UofA. It doesn't matter if he's a lifetime coordinator, a young up and comer or a big name. It's much more important to win on the field than win the press conference.

I personally think there are good reasons to give Bret Bielema the rest of this year, and probably 2018 as well, before Arkansas decides what to do next.  I've supported CBB since the beginning and have given reasons lately as to why that's the case.  However, if a change is made, I would prefer that the decision be made based upon the individual, not the resume.  That's exactly what John Barnhill did when he hired 33-year-old Frank Broyles, fresh off of one year head coach experience at Missouri, where his team finished 5-4-1. 

Mike Norvell sounds like a good candidate on the overall skills front.  Another one who is going to be great sooner than later is 32 year-old Will Healy at Austin Peay.  Watch for him in the next decade to make a big splash somewhere.

Ā 

bphi11ips

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on November 01, 2017, 02:00:29 pm
I was responding to another poster
as I said. You go right ahead being thin skinned, maybe it will serve you well.

Looks to me like you were responding to me when you thanked me for enlightening you on your mother's thought process.  If you didn't know the difference between an "arkie"and "Arky", you do now.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 02:16:01 pm
Looks to me like you were responding to me when you thanked me for enlightening you on your mother's thought process.  If you didn't know the difference between an "arkie"and "Arky", you do now.

At the end of your first reply to my post, you said that was all. Why not be a man of your word?

rljjr

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 02:16:01 pm

Is "Arkie" really the singular for "Arkies?" When did we learn this in Arkansas history? I honestly dont know. Im not being facetious but ive read about the arkies and okies, but never have i seen where one arkie is called an arkie. Honestly,  i cannot believe there is a debate about the singular form of a word and the spelling of said form. Football season must really be over.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: rljjr on November 01, 2017, 02:19:45 pm
Who are Arky? Is it near Ar-Kansas?

I say embrace it the way Wisconsin has, or start raising hell in the comment's section every-time you see it.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

rljjr

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on November 01, 2017, 02:23:00 pm
I say embrace it the way Wisconsin has, or start raising hell in the comment's section every-time you see it.

Meh -- it's just one tusk over the line for me. But it doesn't keep me up at night.

Deep Shoat

I would be so thrilled if we hired a coach who doesn't actually believe in defense...
All Gas, No Brakes!

bphi11ips

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 02:21:58 pm
Is "Arkie" really the singular for "Arkies?" When did we learn this in Arkansas history? I honestly dont know. Im not being facetious but ive read about the arkies and okies, but never have i seen where one arkie is called an arkie. Honestly,  i cannot believe there is a debate about the singular form of a word and the spelling of said form. Football season must really be over.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/arkie

This isn't the first time this discussion has come up here.  It might be the first time anyone has had to explain it to an Arkansan.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 02:21:58 pm
  i cannot believe there is a debate about the singular form of a word and the spelling of said form.

It is not the singular versus the plural.  We are talking about two different words with different spellings and different meanings.  Merle Haggard didn't write a song called "Oky from Muskogee". 

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 02:10:25 pm
I personally think there are good reasons to give Bret Bielema the rest of this year, and probably 2018 as well, before Arkansas decides what to do next.  I've supported CBB since the beginning and have given reasons lately as to why that's the case.  However, if a change is made, I would prefer that the decision be made based upon the individual, not the resume.  That's exactly what John Barnhill did when he hired 33-year-old Frank Broyles, fresh off of one year head coach experience at Missouri, where his team finished 5-4-1. 

Mike Norvell sounds like a good candidate on the overall skills front.  Another one who is going to be great sooner than later is 32 year-old Will Healy at Austin Peay.  Watch for him in the next decade to make a big splash somewhere.

I can understand keeping CBB till the end of the regular season but there is absolutely no reason for keeping him as Hog HC another year, that would be the height of stupidity on Long's part.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 02:29:21 pm
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/arkie

This isn't the first time this discussion has come up here.  It might be the first time anyone has had to explain it to an Arkansan.

Is this the accepted term?  "Arkie?"

Kneph13

Quote from: smb on November 01, 2017, 11:44:41 am
For Norvell being an Arkansas native is desired. But would he even want the job?

I'll bet you damn right Norvell would take this job as a destination job.  There are rumors out there that he has said as much.  The article posted by the OP even says this would be a better job for him and explains why in the article.
There is no Political Correctness in war

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: rljjr on November 01, 2017, 02:25:08 pm
Meh -- it's just one tusk over the line for me. But it doesn't keep me up at night.

I feel ya bro...

bphi11ips

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 02:38:33 pm
Is this the accepted term?  "Arkie?"

What do you mean by "accepted"?  Is it the term accepted by Arkansans as the official reference to a person from Arkansas?  No.  Here, among other things, is what is written at the link:

"noun, Slang: Usually Disparaging and Offensive"

The accepted term for a person from Arkansas is "Arkansan".  "Arkie" is a term that arose in pop culture during the dust bowl.  "Arky" is a recent and offensive reference to the state of Arkansas, the Razorbacks football team, and/or the University of Arkansas.

Look - if you didn't know this when you titled this thread, no big deal.  To act as if the rest of us who educated you on it don't know what we are talking about doesn't make any sense.  Fix the title of the thread and move on.

And avoid calling posters here "snowflakes" and the like until you get to know us a little better. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 02:49:34 pm
What do you mean by "accepted"?  Is it the term accepted by Arkansans as the official reference to a person from Arkansas?  No.  Here, among other things, is what is written at the link:

"noun, Slang: Usually Disparaging and Offensive"

The accepted term for a person from Arkansas is "Arkansan".  "Arkie" is a term that arose in pop culture during the dust bowl.  "Arky" is a recent and offensive reference to the state of Arkansas, the Razorbacks football team, and/or the University of Arkansas.

Look - if you didn't know this when you titled this thread, no big deal.  To act as if the rest of us who educated you on it don't know what we are talking about doesn't make any sense.  Fix the title of the thread and move on.

And avoid calling posters here "snowflakes" and the like until you get to know us a little better.

I apologize and i also apologize for using the term arky. Ive clicked everywhere i can to edit the post but i cant find the edit button. Is it only available to desktops? I am on a tablet.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 03:01:58 pm
I apologize and i also apologize for using the term arky. Ive clicked everywhere i can to edit the post but i cant find the edit button. Is it only available to desktops? I am on a tablet.

PM me your password, and I'll be happy to edit it......lol
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

justmakeit2thebcs

Norvell has been a head coach for 21 games with Fuentes players (especiallt the QB).   He has one good win, #18 Houston last year.  59th and 61th recruiting classes...versus 77th or 92nd?  That's giving Rivals or 24/7 way to much credit.

Is he the next Saban? maybe, but you guys are just guessing and hoping because the resume isn't there.   

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: Kneph13 on November 01, 2017, 02:39:37 pm
I'll bet you damn right Norvell would take this job as a destination job.  There are rumors out there that he has said as much.  The article posted by the OP even says this would be a better job for him and explains why in the article.

If the k"N"eph13 in your screen name is Norvell Tell that dude to come back home.!!!

ipigsooie

Wildhog

I'd change it back to Arky.  Screw these people.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ipigsooie

Quote from: Wildhog on November 01, 2017, 03:09:52 pm
I'd change it back to Arky.  Screw these people.

Lol. I actually think its a cool nickname . Wisky, mizzou and tenner are all cool to me as well. Hell isnt the auburn mascot named Aubie?

ricepig

Paul

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 11:53:43 am
I just am having a hard time pushing all my chips in on Norvell at this time.  His resume is too short for me.  He is also having his success because of a gunslinger QB throwing to an NFL receiver.  He is in a conference that allows for domination when having just one or two top talent level players, and it's his ONLY thing he is being judge on at the moment. 

If I remember right, Bielema's buyout was cheap, don't look at a cheap buyout as a reason.  Nutt thought araknsas was a destination job, that didn't workout great.

I'm ok being the Utah to Urban Meyer, look how that worked out?  I am ok with Arkansas not being a destination job for the next coach, with success comes poaching, I'm fine with that!  We can pay a coach and staff with the big boys if success is being had. 

All this being said, if it's Norvell vs Miles, Norvell vs Grobe, etc, Norvell every day of the week please.  I'd put Norvell behind a Veneables experiment though.
Broyles coached 10 games before coming to the Hogs;  BTW, the gunslinger QB was out of football working in a car wash(I think) before showing up at Memphis;  the NFL receiver as a walk-on from Christian Brothers High

Gonzo

Goodness, I don't care for the term, usually just don't acknowledge any comment where it's used, but looks like it really gets under some folks skins. I'd be curious which is the bigger peeve....Arky or the howling Hog call.

Go Hogs!

RazorPiggie

So where is Norvells wife from? Does no one know her?