Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norway

Started by kibster, July 29, 2022, 09:37:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kibster

Anyone been to Norway?  Always wanted to go and in the beginning stages of planning a trip there.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

bennyl08

Been a slight bit to Oslo and the Romsdal region.

Highly recommend the museums where you can see the actual Fram and Kon Tiki ships.

From there, I took a train to Andelsnes and saw the troll wall (trollveggen) the tallest cliff in all of europe and just did a bunch of hiking in that area. Then I rented a car and drove from their to Geiranger fjord which is on the Unesco world heritage sites. If you are camping like me, you'll probably want an eye cover because while the sun does set in the summer, it never gets too dark. Like, you probably won't need a headlamp. Lots of places where you can legally pull over and set up tent. Just don't build a fire or something.

The Lofoten islands looked really cool but that was outside of my budget and you can also see the glacier where they filmed Hoth in star wars, but in terms of trying to get a good bang for your buck trip, that was a little out of the way.

Though one piece of advice that a prof gave to me, be careful taking outdoors advice from norwegianers as they have a tendency to downplay things. For example, I would describe my trip to N. Cascades national park as a pretty intense 3 day weekend hiking about 30 miles with 7k feet of elevation gain and then subsequent loss. The nordic telling of the same story would be they did some strolling in the mountains that weekend and leave it at that.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hog_Fink

Norway looks absolutely stunning

kibster

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 29, 2022, 01:27:15 pmBeen a slight bit to Oslo and the Romsdal region.

Highly recommend the museums where you can see the actual Fram and Kon Tiki ships.

From there, I took a train to Andelsnes and saw the troll wall (trollveggen) the tallest cliff in all of europe and just did a bunch of hiking in that area. Then I rented a car and drove from their to Geiranger fjord which is on the Unesco world heritage sites. If you are camping like me, you'll probably want an eye cover because while the sun does set in the summer, it never gets too dark. Like, you probably won't need a headlamp. Lots of places where you can legally pull over and set up tent. Just don't build a fire or something.

The Lofoten islands looked really cool but that was outside of my budget and you can also see the glacier where they filmed Hoth in star wars, but in terms of trying to get a good bang for your buck trip, that was a little out of the way.

Though one piece of advice that a prof gave to me, be careful taking outdoors advice from norwegianers as they have a tendency to downplay things. For example, I would describe my trip to N. Cascades national park as a pretty intense 3 day weekend hiking about 30 miles with 7k feet of elevation gain and then subsequent loss. The nordic telling of the same story would be they did some strolling in the mountains that weekend and leave it at that.

Very helpful. What time of year were you there?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

oldhawg

Bergen is a beautiful coastal town to visit.

bennyl08

Quote from: kibster on July 30, 2022, 09:53:14 pmVery helpful. What time of year were you there?

I was in Svalbard for a few weeks right around the summer solstice and then back on Mainland Norway for about a week after. So end of June.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse