Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson doesn't expect any early departures

Started by navyhog24, March 27, 2017, 04:57:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

navyhog24

QuoteI anticipate everybody to continue doing what we're doing," Anderson said. "That is staying put and continuing to get better.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/mar/27/mike-anderson-doesnt-expect-any-early-departures

razorhead94

He said the same thing before Portis and Qualls left.  I don't think he really knows until he actually sits down and talks to each one.  But at this time he "doesn't expect" anyone to leave.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

FineAsSwine

They can and should get the evaluation and feedback, then make an informed decision.

ShadowHawg

Portis and Qualls both waited to the last minute to declare. Portis said that he was coming back only 3 days before announcing. So what did you expect MA to say, they claim they are staying but I don't believe them?

Qualls made more sense than Portis even though Bobby was guaranteed to go first round. Portis would have made more money the next season just by virtue of rookie contracts going up in general.

Qualls had played himself into a probable 2nd rounder. It didn't work out for him because he tore his acl during the work out period with NBA teams. Without Portis coming back he would have been the focus of defenses and might have fallen out of draft consideration.

Biggus Piggus

The only question is how we should interpret what MA says. He said what he had to say.
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

Have Macon and Barford talked to Calipari yet and gotten his advice?  Surely they will since he knows better than anyone else..
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rhames

Macon just seems like he has already made up his mind based on his tweets

I hate myself for typing that
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Letsroll1200

Macon and Barford should declare for the draft and not hire a agent. I think getting a honest evaluation could be good for both of them.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2017, 10:22:58 am

How recent are you talking about?
#NolanRichardsonCourt

NWAHog479

Funny how our in-state journalists have not been covering this every single day since we lost to UNC. It's a story and a story that everybody that cares about Arkansas bball will follow. Can we get a Macon quote from the horses mouth?

rhames

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

010HogFan

Agreed. He gone

rhames

Letsroll1200

I've searched all over and not one national NBA draft expert has mentioned the name Daryl Macon. He should declare if that's what he feels is the best thing for his future. Razorback basketball will survive with or without Daryl Macon.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Fayettetopia

Is he deleting tweets? One came across my timeline about 20 minutes ago with him talking about people criticizing you for chasing a dream. But when you go to his Twitter profile and look down his timeline of tweets, it's not there. In fact, there's nothing there more recent than two days ago. Am I missing something?

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Fayettetopia on March 28, 2017, 10:43:33 am
Is he deleting tweets? One came across my timeline about 20 minutes ago with him talking about people criticizing you for chasing a dream. But when you go to his Twitter profile and look down his timeline of tweets, it's not there. In fact, there's nothing there more recent than two days ago. Am I missing something?

Chasing a dream and making an uninformed decision that is detrimental are two different things.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

klp1

What tweet are you talking about?  There is nothing on his feed right now about anything related to being "gone"

Fayettetopia

Fayettetopia

Quote from: rhames on Today at 10:22:58 am

What tweet are you talking about?  There is nothing on his feed right now about anything related to being "gone"

He tweeted this:
How can you bash a person for trying to chase a dream .... 🤔

rhames

Quote from: klp1 on March 28, 2017, 10:50:26 am

did you read the other posts after that? He deleted it.

Fayettetopia

Jackrabbit Hog

I sure hope Hog fans aren't tweeting back at Macon (is that what you call it??) and telling him he's making a poor decision or, worse, is stupid or something like that.  Kids who read crap like that will be affected and will likely want to prove folks like that wrong.

If you have an opinion about it, please, please don't share it with the players.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

NWAHog479

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 28, 2017, 11:03:38 am
I sure hope Hog fans aren't tweeting back at Macon (is that what you call it??) and telling him he's making a poor decision or, worse, is stupid or something like that.  Kids who read crap like that will be affected and will likely want to prove folks like that wrong.

If you have an opinion about it, please, please don't share it with the players.

AGREED 100%...

rhames

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 28, 2017, 11:03:38 am

While this is 100 percent true I also think players don't need to tweet about it. The morons are always the loudest and it is just giving them a platform to put trash out there.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2017, 11:11:18 am

While this is 100 percent true I also think players don't need to tweet about it. The morons are always the loudest and it is just giving them a platform to put trash out there.

In a perfect world you're right, but this twitter thing does exist and it exists for the sole purpose of giving impulsive people the opportunity to blurt out personal views and information without thinking things through, which prompts other impulsive people the opportunity to tear the first person down. 

Such a wonderful tool.

rhames

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 28, 2017, 11:14:06 am
In a perfect world you're right, but this twitter thing does exist and it exists for the sole purpose of giving impulsive people the opportunity to blurt out personal views and information without thinking things through, which prompts other impulsive people the opportunity to tear the first person down. 

Such a wonderful tool.

That's the point I'm making. Macon shouldn't give anyone a platform to give an opinion on something that is entirely a personal decision.

Erockster20

Why can't these kids understand it's a compliment that fans don't want them to leave early and come back?

Was anyone wishing Larry Satchel had 1 more year?  What about Gomez?  Sanchez?  Great razorbacks and fans wished them well on their next endeavor. But no one was wishing they had one more year to give. Be glad we want you stay.

rhames

Quote from: Erockster20 on March 28, 2017, 11:26:34 am
Why can't these kids understand it's a compliment that fans don't want them to leave early and come back?

Was anyone wishing Larry Satchel had 1 more year?  What about Gomez?  Sanchez?  Great razorbacks and fans wished them well on their next endeavor. But no one was wishing they had one more year to give. Be glad we want you stay.

Don't be naive

People spout venomous crap on Twitter.

phadedhawg

I don't pretend to be an expert but I would imagine Barford has more to offer physically to the NBA than Macon.  Macon is playing at a higher level right now but with that build Barford has much more upside. 

I hope they both come back but there's always one that makes the wrong choice.  This year it is Macon. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2017, 11:32:30 am

Don't be naive

People spout venomous crap on Twitter.

It's not hard to be an internet tough guy.  I mean, look at ricepig and Ponderin...

3kgthog

Can Macon be a Pargo type with a journeyman (but solid) NBA career? I haven't seen the same scoring ability, but he does shoot FTs well and is decent enough defensively.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Erockster20 on March 28, 2017, 11:26:34 am

Ole Larry Satchell. Wasn't he a big time recruit out of Texas? Just never panned out.

We used to joke about the "Larry Satchell School of Inbounding." The guy would just grab the ball out of the net and throw it down court, and then jump out of bounds way after he threw it. Could have been called a violation almost every time.

AFWarrior83

IMO Barford has the best shot of the bunch to go pro, but I don't think he's ready.  Macon is simply not ready, even though he had a great season.  All the underclass men need to come back and make another run at the tourney.  I'm saying that without bias as a hog fan, I just don't think any of the underclassmen are ready for the NBA right now.
Hogville member since 2005.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 27, 2017, 11:23:58 pm
Portis and Qualls both waited to the last minute to declare. Portis said that he was coming back only 3 days before announcing. So what did you expect MA to say, they claim they are staying but I don't believe them?

He didn't have to say either way. You know that. When you have a player like Portis who you know can get guaranteed money if he goes, why not just hold off on making a comment in either direction until the deadline to enter has passed? He didn't have to say he expected everyone back when the fact was, there was daylight for Portis to take that money and run.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 28, 2017, 01:11:44 pm
We used to joke about the "Larry Satchell School of Inbounding." The guy would just grab the ball out of the net and throw it down court, and then jump out of bounds way after he threw it. Could have been called a violation almost every time.

That's funny.  Years ago, whenever the Hogs were allowing a team to get to the rim for layups too frequently, I'd complain about them playing "John Snively defense."  Not sure if anyone but me remembers Snively from the Sutton years, but he was a spot up shooter and that was all.  His defense consisted of catching the ball out of the net after his man had blown past him for a layup and then inbounding it.  Hence, John Snively defense.

Hawg Red

What is so odd about all this worry over Macon leaving is that it he doesn't have to make a hard decision right now. He can submit his name, get feedback, and make an informed decision. Anything more than that and he is rushing it. Plain and simple. See where you stand and what the NBA sees your value being. If they don't see you as a draft pick this year, I see little incentive to leave. By coming back, you have the ability to at least play yourself into the draft, and if he doesn't work, you can still go play overseas. Odds of a career-ending injury are unlikely in this age of medical advancements. You're a basketball player. You can get hurt playing basketball, no matter where it is. Should be able to get an insurance policy through the school, too. He (and Barford) would be leaving too much on the table by leaving early. I understand Barford has a young child and the best thing he can do for that child is to use all his eligibility and see what the NBA thinks of him after seeing him in a feature role for the Hogs (same with Macon).

People are acting like he's made up his mind and all this stuff. Why? He can enter the draft and still come back to Arkansas. No actual decision has to be made right now. Do what Moses did.

HamSammich

Rainmaker203

As a few others have said, there is nothing wrong with Macon or Barford declaring for the draft, so long as they don't hire an agent.  The NBA declaration rules were changed last year, and now are much more advantageous for players on the fence to go ahead and declare, get feedback, and then make the right decision.

It used to be that the deadline to withdraw from the draft and return to school was in April, so anyone that declared and found out they were not ready was basically screwed.  Now, the deadline has been pushed back to late May, so players can go to the combine in early May, get a full evaluation, and then decide whether or not to return to school.

navyhog24

Smalltownhog95

The difference this year is I believe him. I never thought Port is would stay, Qualls was a bit more surprising. I just think Barford is a year away from making a lot more money than he could this year. Macon could be the same if he finds a way to attack the rim more.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on March 28, 2017, 03:56:30 pm
The difference this year is I believe him. I never thought Port is would stay, Qualls was a bit more surprising. I just think Barford is a year away from making a lot more money than he could this year. Macon could be the same if he finds a way to attack the rim more.

I want to believe him more than anything. And I don't not believe him. I don't think that we will lose someone just because he said he isn't planning to. But because of last time, I'm taking his comments with a grain of salt. It will be a big deal if we return everyone that projects to have a role next year.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 28, 2017, 10:28:27 am
Funny how our in-state journalists have not been covering this every single day since we lost to UNC. It's a story and a story that everybody that cares about Arkansas bball will follow. Can we get a Macon quote from the horses mouth?
Reporters cannot talk to players on scholarship without permission. Mike Anderson has no reason to make Macon available to us unless Macon is prepared to say he's leaving or staying. Safe to say he has not made that decision yet.

Barford has already pretty much indicated that he's coming back.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 28, 2017, 04:00:19 pm
  Reporters cannot talk to players on scholarship without permission.

I can't believe that I never knew that.

Hogville.  The great educator.