Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive line

Started by parallaxpig, August 08, 2016, 05:53:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 11, 2016, 03:56:48 pm
i don't know if it has crossed every bodies mind but that line only has 1 SR  . everyone else is returning next year . That should be a killer line next year .
Yes, it should be. In fact, there will only be 2 seniors (Ragnow, Raulerson) starting on the 2017 line if everything is equal and they progress as expected.
I am looking at 2018 as a potential championship run year, and the returning O-Line might be (L to R): Jackson, Froholdt, Rogers, Merrick, and Wallace. That's a pretty good line too.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Biggus Piggus

Ragnow will go pro early if it makes sense at all. Heinrich will be in the rotation before too long.
[CENSORED]!

daBoar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 12, 2016, 02:07:49 pm
Ragnow will go pro early if it makes sense at all. Heinrich will be in the rotation before too long.
Looking at the picture below your post....can you say B-anal.

swinesation

Anybody who thinks OL is not a concern going into the season is not paying attention.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: swinesation on August 12, 2016, 06:28:21 pm
Anybody who thinks OL is not a concern going into the season is not paying attention.

It's a concern, probably the biggest one, but seems to be coming together. Looking forward to them progressing as the season goes along.
This is my non-signature signature.

bennyl08

Quote from: daBoar on August 11, 2016, 07:56:49 pm
I don't really want to argue, but BA had both the highest passing efficiency and QBR in the SEC, playing against an SEC West schedule.  To me, that says volumes about the whole OLine.

He nearly doubled the sacks he took and ints he threw from previous seasons because this year, HD was letting it rip, holding onto the ball longer to try and make a play, and we all saw the results of that.

I'd say this year's OL play was the best we've had despit taking more sacks. The sacks tell a part of the story, just not the entire one.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 12, 2016, 09:49:51 pm
He nearly doubled the sacks he took and ints he threw from previous seasons because this year, HD was letting it rip, holding onto the ball longer to try and make a play, and we all saw the results of that.

I'd say this year's OL play was the best we've had despit taking more sacks. The sacks tell a part of the story, just not the entire one.

Where are you getting your stats:

2014 sacks allowed: 14  http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html
2015 sacks allowed: 14  http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html

2014 INTs: 5 (6 overall - 1 was AA)  http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/31/passing/offense/split.html
2015 INTs: 8  http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/passing/offense/split.html
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ImHogginIt

Quote from: swinesation on August 12, 2016, 06:28:21 pm

We have plenty of talent. Coaches are just trying to see what various guys can do before deciding on the best five. I'm more worried about qb and secondary than OL. I will never worry too much about CBB replacing OL.

parallaxpig

Usual question this time of year. Is the OL that avg or is the DL that good. We will find out the answer to this week two. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: parallaxpig on August 13, 2016, 06:48:20 am
Usual question this time of year. Is the OL that avg or is the DL that good. We will find out the answer to this week two. 

I think that at this time of fall camp the defense is usually performing better and generally ahead of the offense. Not just in our camp, but all camps as a general rule. If the offense were dominating the defense right now, I would be more worried about how good this team can be. They are shifting players around from position to position finding the best spot for each O-Lineman and finding the best depth at those positions as well. I think that the finished product will do very well.
Go Hogs Go!

JaketheSnake

We had a similar discussion last fall camp and our OL came out flat and the run game struggled.  I'm hoping this year it is different just because of the moving guys around to this point.  Hard to say.

ricepig

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: JaketheSnake on August 13, 2016, 07:43:54 am
We had a similar discussion last fall camp and our OL came out flat and the run game struggled.  I'm hoping this year it is different just because of the moving guys around to this point.  Hard to say.

The new OL coach could make a difference too.

ComeonHogs!!!

Seems they are making a effort to pick the top 7 or 8 a little sooner this year. This should really help. I seem to remember them not settling on the starters until game 3 or 4.
State Pride!!!

ricepig

Quote from: ComeonHogs!!! on August 13, 2016, 09:34:16 am
Seems they are making a effort to pick the top 7 or 8 a little sooner this year. This should really help. I seem to remember them not settling on the starters until game 3 or 4.

Huh?? The same 5 started every game last year.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2016, 09:42:03 am
Huh?? The same 5 started every game last year.
No way!  >:(  Way ???

ComeonHogs!!!

hmm, the years run together, but now that you pointed that out, how could i forget the media guide, ill go back to my corner and try to be quite. no promises.
State Pride!!!

longpig

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 13, 2016, 08:44:32 am
The new OL coach could make a difference too.

If for no other reason,  having an OL coach who doesn't come out flat and struggle to run every day is an upgrade.
Don't be scared, be smart.

razorhog52

It pretty clear our 5 best lineman are Skipper, Ragnow, Frodtholt, raulerson, and Rogers. Unfortunately they are 4 inside guys and one tackle. Raulerson played some tackle at UT. If Denver would have stayed this line would be stacked with one interior reserve that could play all three positions.

Cinco de Hogo

CBB sure had a lot of praise for the O-line today and he didn't jst mention five guys he mentioned 7-8 although I didn't actually count them.  I think we have two deep plus quality but of course a good bit of inexperience too.  I think they are gonna develop just fine and probably a lot quicker than many have thought.

longpig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 13, 2016, 09:13:09 pm
CBB sure had a lot of praise for the O-line today and he didn't jst mention five guys he mentioned 7-8 although I didn't actually count them.  I think we have two deep plus quality but of course a good bit of inexperience too.  I think they are gonna develop just fine and probably a lot quicker than many have thought.

Sounded extremely happy with what Coach Anderson's done with them in short time. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on August 13, 2016, 02:32:15 am
Where are you getting your stats:

2014 sacks allowed: 14  http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html
2015 sacks allowed: 14  http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html

2014 INTs: 5 (6 overall - 1 was AA)  http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/31/passing/offense/split.html
2015 INTs: 8  http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/passing/offense/split.html

I knew the int numbers were 5 and 8. Which is only one different from being twice as much. I now can't find anywhere the number of sacks BA took. Only total sacks which is what you listed. I have recollection of him taking something like 7 sacks last year to 13 this year. Last year, he did miss basically half the ole miss game, so it isn't unreasonable that he wouldn't have been the recipient of every single sack. But, like I said, I can't find anywhere right now of what sacks BA had.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

blu

We also passed the ball a lot more last year than the previous - more opportunities for sacks and ints.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

southeasthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 14, 2016, 03:10:09 am
I knew the int numbers were 5 and 8. Which is only one different from being twice as much. I now can't find anywhere the number of sacks BA took. Only total sacks which is what you listed. I have recollection of him taking something like 7 sacks last year to 13 this year. Last year, he did miss basically half the ole miss game, so it isn't unreasonable that he wouldn't have been the recipient of every single sack. But, like I said, I can't find anywhere right now of what sacks BA had.
So you just made some stuff up? Gotcha.

MuskogeeHogFan

Total Sacks Allowed and Total INT's, and by opportunity for 2014 and 2015, comparing all of the SEC and the 2015 Play Off Teams. Ranked in order of 2015 Sacks Allowed by Opportunity (example-1 Sack Allowed in every 29.3 passing attempts, same with INT's). SEC teams in all caps.

2015                   2015                       2014                     2014
                    Sacks All   By Opp     INT's    By Opp     Sacks All    By Opp       INT's    By Opp
Clem                    18        29.3        15        35.2             27        16.7          12        37.6
Tcu                      18        28.7        15        34.5             23        23.0          11        48.1
ARK                     14        26.7         8         46.8             14        25.6           6        59.8
OM                      19        25.7        14         34.9             31        13.8          15       28.5
GEO                     15        21.8         8         40.9             17        18.9           6        53.7
Mich St                 21        21.0         8         55.0             11        36.4           9        44.4
ALA                      25        17.8        10        44.6             16        28.2          10        45.1
Ohio St                 19        16.9         9         36.1             28        14.6          12        34.1
LSU                      17        16.4         6         46.3             25        11.0           9        30.7
AUB                     19        16.1         12        25.5             15        22.1           7        47.4
TENN                    23        16.1         5         74.2             43        10.5          14        32.4
Stan                     20        15.9         8         39.8             23        16.6           8         47.6
MSU                     32        15.6         5        100.0             23        18.4          12        35.3
USC                     26         13.5        12        29.3             27         17.3          11        42.5
VAN                     28         13.4        16        23.5             21         17.0          19        18.8
KEN                     30         13.2        16        24.8             34         11.9          11        36.8
A&M                     37         13.0        15        32.1             27         19.0          15        34.3
MIZ                      30         12.4        12        31.1             23         18.0          13        31.9
Okla                     41         10.7         9         48.8             9          42.9          17        22.7
FLA                      46           8.8        10        40.5             17         19.1          14        23.1
Go Hogs Go!

wildhogman

wasn't that hard actually, took me 5 minutes,  2014 12 sacks.  2015 14 sacks.
so by your math, 12 X 2= 14.  Gotcha

wildhogman

Quote from: wildhogman on August 14, 2016, 11:58:17 am
wasn't that hard actually, took me 5 minutes,  2014 12 sacks.  2015 14 sacks.
so by your math, 12 X 2= 14.  Gotcha
edit, sacks yards 2014,91. 2015,92. I suppose if you just search his rushing stats you get a better picture of how many times he was flushed from the pocket with no place to throw because we all know BA wasn't gonna run unless he had no choice

woodhog14

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 12, 2016, 09:49:51 pm

He also threw for 10 more TD's, 1,200 more yards, and had the highest passer rating in the nation.

wildhogman

someone teach me how to post a link and it has all his info. Not a bad read, I just don't know how to link. I am PC illiterate.
I can tell you that his stats say he rushed the ball about 56 times.  So perhaps you remember him being flushed out of the pocket a lot, but not necessarily sacked

Cinco de Hogo

It takes a dense person to not understand what Benny is talking about even if he is not Factchecker. 

Argue on!

MuskogeeHogFan

August 14, 2016, 02:23:23 pm #181 Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:33:56 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 14, 2016, 12:26:45 pm
It takes a dense person to not understand what Benny is talking about even if he is not Factchecker. 

Argue on!

I know this:

Arkansas allowed 14 sacks in 2015, 1 in every 26.7 passing attempts and threw 8 INT's or 1 in every 46.8 passing attempts.

Arkansas allowed 14 sacks in 2014, 1 in every 25.6 passing attempts and threw 6 INT's or 1 in every 59.8 passing attempts.

The 2015 sacks allowed per opportunity number was good enough to be ranked 3rd among the teams that I listed above and the top two were spread teams who got rid of the ball quickly and the same with Ole Miss at #4.

Is the question about BA or the O-Line? If you look at potentially meaningful negative stats that apply to the OL, Sacks Allowed and TFL Allowed have been high marks by our O-Line.

This has been a very good O-Line the last 2 years and as Benny said above, 1 of the top 10 in the country. So I am not sure what the debate is all about? BA improved drastically in his performance from 2014 to 2015 (thank you Coach Enos) and the O-Line has given the offense plenty of great opportunities to perform well.

Are we saying that QB play or O-Line play was significantly worse in 2015 than 2014 because more INT's were thrown? That BA was under more pressure in 2015 than 2014? If we are attempting to debate that via INT's thrown, that is a pretty grey area to use to try to make that point when there isn't any key indicator to gauge that by.
Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

I don't put as many eggs in the stat basket like Benny and Muskogee and others, I believe my eyes more than stats. 2014 OL>2015 OL. BA took care of the OL a lot more than these stats capture in both years. We have had less than adequate pass protection especially at LT for the past 2 seasons, but BA got rid of the ball in 2014, many on throw aways. In 2015 BA got out of the pocket and made plays mostly throwing and some running. I believe with what I have read and observed I believe we may be better this year than last year on the OL. The one thing I am not really happy about is Skipper moving back to LT! I believe his height hurts him at that position and he is able to mitigate that disadvantage better on his strong hand side.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 14, 2016, 02:50:45 pm
I don't put as many eggs in the stat basket like Benny and Muskogee and others, I believe my eyes more than stats. 2014 OL>2015 OL. BA took care of the OL a lot more than these stats capture in both years. We have had less than adequate pass protection especially at LT for the past 2 seasons, but BA got rid of the ball in 2014, many on throw aways. In 2015 BA got out of the pocket and made plays mostly throwing and some running. I believe with what I have read and observed I believe we may be better this year than last year on the OL. The one thing I am not really happy about is Skipper moving back to LT! I believe his height hurts him at that position and he is able to mitigate that disadvantage better on his strong hand side.

No one (at least I hope not) is putting all of their "eggs" in the stat basket, but these are actual results, not projections of things to come. Sometimes folks want to massage stats to make them say what they want them to say, or to try to prove a point that they don't matter. They are nonetheless results.

And we can say that BA really "helped" the O-Line but in reality, he did what he was coached to do and helped the team. BA made a few plays running and definitely made some plays passing, but let's not forget that other people including the O-Line, RB's that blocked and Receivers who ran good routes and found open spots, helped provide BA the opportunity to make those big plays. Bottom line, it is a team effort. And sometimes what we think we see with our "eyes" as fans, can be deceiving, but I prefer a mixture of seeing and stats to make up what I believe. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 14, 2016, 02:23:23 pm
I know this:

Arkansas allowed 14 sacks in 2015, 1 in every 26.7 passing attempts and threw 8 INT's or 1 in every 46.8 passing attempts.

Arkansas allowed 14 sacks in 2014, 1 in every 25.6 passing attempts and threw 6 INT's or 1 in every 59.8 passing attempts.

The 2015 sacks allowed per opportunity number was good enough to be ranked 3rd among the teams that I listed above and the top two were spread teams who got rid of the ball quickly and the same with Ole Miss at #4.

Is the question about BA or the O-Line? If you look at potentially meaningful negative stats that apply to the OL, Sacks Allowed and TFL Allowed have been high marks by our O-Line.

This has been a very good O-Line the last 2 years and as Benny said above, 1 of the top 10 in the country. So I am not sure what the debate is all about? BA improved drastically in his performance from 2014 to 2015 (thank you Coach Enos) and the O-Line has given the offense plenty of great opportunities to perform well.

Are we saying that QB play or O-Line play was significantly worse in 2015 than 2014 because more INT's were thrown? That BA was under more pressure in 2015 than 2014? If we are attempting to debate that via INT's thrown, that is a pretty grey area to use to try to make that point when there isn't any key indicator to gauge that by.

First off I don't think Benny or anybody else is trying to put anyone down, player or coach.  Stats can be exactly the same but mean different things based on what caused those stats, don't you agree.  That's were the eyeball test comes into play.  The dynamics between 14 and 15 changed and the denominator are Enos and experience.

What we saw with are own eyes is not that hard to understand.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 14, 2016, 04:20:30 pm
First off I don't think Benny or anybody else is trying to put anyone down, player or coach.  Stats can be exactly the same but mean different things based on what caused those stats, don't you agree.  That's were the eyeball test comes into play.  The dynamics between 14 and 15 changed and the denominator are Enos and experience.

What we saw with are own eyes is not that hard to understand.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 14, 2016, 03:16:34 pm
No one (at least I hope not) is putting all of their "eggs" in the stat basket, but these are actual results, not projections of things to come. Sometimes folks want to massage stats to make them say what they want them to say, or to try to prove a point that they don't matter. They are nonetheless results.

And we can say that BA really "helped" the O-Line but in reality, he did what he was coached to do and helped the team. BA made a few plays running and definitely made some plays passing, but let's not forget that other people including the O-Line, RB's that blocked and Receivers who ran good routes and found open spots, helped provide BA the opportunity to make those big plays. Bottom line, it is a team effort. And sometimes what we think we see with our "eyes" as fans, can be deceiving, but I prefer a mixture of seeing and stats to make up what I believe. JMO

And yes, I credit Enos with a lot of the turnaround on offense, not only with the QB's, but the Receivers and their productivity and efficiency as well.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

What eligibility does Raulerson have remaining?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 14, 2016, 04:24:57 pm
And yes, I credit Enos with a lot of the turnaround on offense, not only with the QB's, but the Receivers and their productivity and efficiency as well.

Agree.  I think it also suggests that BB allowed Enos to be Enos. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 14, 2016, 04:35:15 pm
Agree.  I think it also suggests that BB allowed Enos to be Enos. 

Last season, before "Enos became Enos", Bielema had to tell him to go ahead and get after it, to call what he saw when he saw opportunities. I think Enos was like any other new guy who was trying to be more conservative in what he did and to reign in his assertiveness until the HC felt comfy with him. Bielema finally had to tell him, "go for it, be confident" and when he did, this offense began to take off.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 14, 2016, 04:39:15 pm
Last season, before "Enos became Enos", Bielema had to tell him to go ahead and get after it, to call what he saw when he saw opportunities. I think Enos was like any other new guy who was trying to be more conservative in what he did and to reign in his assertiveness until the HC felt comfy with him. Bielema finally had to tell him, "go for it, be confident" and when he did, this offense began to take off.

Nonetheless, the point was to counter the old idea that BB is a 3 yards in a cloud of dust type of coach.

MuskogeeHogFan

August 14, 2016, 04:48:06 pm #192 Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:30:17 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 14, 2016, 04:44:12 pm
Nonetheless, the point was to counter the old idea that BB is a 3 yards in a cloud of dust type of coach.

Yeah, just the opposite, Bielema (for anyone who has paid attention) has been more of 220 rushing-220 passing kind of guy throughout his career as a HC prior to Arkansas, though I think that has changed to some degree as he has acclimated to the SEC. But I don't think he will ever get away from his basic principles of being able to run the ball a great deal as well.
Go Hogs Go!

parallaxpig

Hope Froholdt is a quick learner cuz the second test will be a lot harder.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ImHogginIt

Quote from: parallaxpig on September 04, 2016, 09:17:05 am
Hope Froholdt is a quick learner cuz the second test will be a lot harder.

I don't think TCU's defense is any better than La Tech's