Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flacco hurt, Mallett to get reps

Started by TexHog188, July 27, 2017, 12:16:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 29, 2017, 08:11:31 am
Man, you guys would defend Mallett regardless. When you can't win the starting job in Houston, you're not an NFl starter, period. Yes, he had a great college career, but there's a reason his draft status tanked after his interviews. Some of you need to wake up to why

Except that he did win it and then got hurt lifting weights.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: rhames on July 29, 2017, 08:13:23 am
Except that he did win it and then got hurt lifting weights.
Then why didn't they keep him? That's not exactly a career ending injury
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

rhames

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 29, 2017, 08:17:48 am
Then why didn't they keep him? That's not exactly a career ending injury

Mallett won the job. Had a decent game. Then he had a torn pectorual muscle that caused him to miss the season.

Then the guy they brought in during the off season was more familiar with the OC. Then Mallett missed a flight. The rest is history. I'm sure you can find all the details with a Google search.  The whole situation in Houston was handled poorly. I'm not saying Mallett is on the level or Brady or Rodgers,  but the kid isn't horrible. His mental maturity has always been a question

Ie...dont miss your flight if things don't got your way.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hog.goblin

Quote from: rhames on July 29, 2017, 08:43:25 am

Mallett won the job. Had a decent game. Then he had a torn pectorual muscle that caused him to miss the season.

Then the guy they brought in during the off season was more familiar with the OC. Then Mallett missed a flight. The rest is history. I'm sure you can find all the details with a Google search.  The whole situation in Houston was handled poorly. I'm not saying Mallett is on the level or Brady or Rodgers,  but the kid isn't horrible. His mental maturity has always been a question

He missed the flight after the game in which, while playing just fine as the starter, he went down kind of hard.  He came to the sideline to get checked out and never went back in the game.  His attitude on the sideline wasn't good the rest of the game.

I think O'Brien was going to make the change when he felt House was ready.  But the reason RM isn't a starting QB is becuase of his head.  Too bad, I thought he probably got figured out while in New England.

He'll continue to be a backup.  I would want him as the backup on my team.  Serviceable, might show some brilliance, won't make a good starter nervous about his job.

onebadrubi

Quote from: threeNout on July 29, 2017, 06:03:21 am
wow, that's probably the most biased sports article I've ever seen.

"total meltdown" because he threw a towel?

no quotes from Mallett, and a suggestion written into the headline saying Mallett should be replaced by Kap? two days into camp?

stunned.  defintely seems like an coordinated agenda.

Yeah, the headlines are definitely skewed a little bit. 

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 29, 2017, 08:43:25 am

The truth is the Head coach at Houston did not want Mallett in the first place  but his superiors overruled him and signed Mallet anyway. Being highly ticked off about being overruled, the HC never gave Mallett a fair shake and went behind his back to sign another QB to replace him. That HC should have been fired.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogwild

July 29, 2017, 11:18:39 am #56 Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:51:36 am by Hogwild
Quote from: threeNout on July 29, 2017, 06:03:21 am
wow, that's probably the most biased sports article I've ever seen.

"total meltdown" because he threw a towel?

no quotes from Mallett, and a suggestion written into the headline saying Mallett should be replaced by Kap? two days into camp?

stunned.  defintely seems like an coordinated agenda.

The  quote from Terrell Suggs was enough-

"Hey Marty, tell Mallett to throw to the guys wearing the purple jerseys"

ETA= Flacco thinks the Ravens should sign Kap

"I would like to see Colin get back in [the NFL] and, at some point, maybe get another shot [to be a starter]," said Flacco, who hasn't spoken to Kaepernick about it.

"I wouldn't like that to be here. I do not want him to get another shot [to be a starter] here, but yes, he can come here and have some fun. I think it would be a good spot for him."

hawganatic

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 29, 2017, 01:58:09 am
somehow I get the feeling that some WR's were making Mallett look bad...it's an easy thing to do. They want Kaepernick to get a contract and I think we all know why. Baltimore and the thugs that occupy the team's roster up and down the line-up wouldn't think twice about doing such a thing. Still I get the feeling things aren't as bad as this one writer said...I saw nothing about it on any of the NFL sports shows

Oh good lawd!!  You really think the Baltimore coaching staff wouldn't be able to recognize it if the players were doing this?

Have seen some pretty outlandish stuff on this board, but this is pretty far out there, even for you.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hawganatic on July 29, 2017, 12:19:43 pm
Oh good lawd!!  You really think the Baltimore coaching staff wouldn't be able to recognize it if the players were doing this?

Have seen some pretty outlandish stuff on this board, but this is pretty far out there, even for you.
I thought the same thing when I read that. Wide receivers fighting for roster spots, depth chart spots, etc. are not going to tank it on purpose so that the organization MIGHT sign a guy to be a back up for a week or two before Joe comes back. That's tin foil conspiracy even for hogville

clutch

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on July 28, 2017, 06:51:55 am
Funny how people feel Kap should just go away because of the issues he raised. Not let's look at the problem because looking in the mirror makes me uncomfortable.  He's the anti-OJ didn't hurt or kill anyone.   I guess athlete's should just run and jump for our pleasure. 

He has every right to raise awareness to any issue he wants. He just has to be able to live with the consequences if things don't turn out the way he envisioned. It was his choice to protest on the sidelines, knowing that it would anger many Americans with the way he was doing it. It's the fans choice not to like the guy anymore if they don't want to. Which in turn leads to owners not wanting him.

I have no problem with anyone voicing their opinion however they want. That's their right. I may not like the way they do it, but it is their right so I will respect their decision. I just don't want to hear about how he's being wrongly held out of the NFL because of certain actions when they were his choice. Every action has a consequence. If you can't deal with the possibility of never playing again, maybe you should choose a different avenue to voice your opinion. You can't do stuff that people won't like and still expect everyone to like you. The world just doesn't work like that. You choose your own path, so whatever happens to you is on you.

It's pretty much the same story as Tebow. Kap is a more talented QB than Tebow, but they are the same in the fact that they both bring the circus to town with them. Tebow's was more positive stuff, but the constant clamoring of everyone wanting him to be the starter when he clearly wasn't starter material was enough for teams to stay away from him as a backup QB. The difference with Tebow though is that he didn't try to say that he's being wrongly held out of the NFL because of his beliefs. He went about his business and found other career paths because he wasn't going to change what he believed. I respect that a lot. And I'm a pretty anti-Tebow guy. I'm usually skeptical of the over the top shows of Christianity. I always feel like they are trying to compensate and cover up for some serious flaws somewhere. He's avoided any kind of controversy at all though so I may have been wrong about him.

GuvHog

Quote from: clutch on July 29, 2017, 01:18:10 pm
He has every right to raise awareness to any issue he wants. He just has to be able to live with the consequences if things don't turn out the way he envisioned. It was his choice to protest on the sidelines, knowing that it would anger many Americans with the way he was doing it. It's the fans choice not to like the guy anymore if they don't want to. Which in turn leads to owners not wanting him.

I have no problem with anyone voicing their opinion however they want. That's their right. I may not like the way they do it, but it is their right so I will respect their decision. I just don't want to hear about how he's being wrongly held out of the NFL because of certain actions when they were his choice. Every action has a consequence. If you can't deal with the possibility of never playing again, maybe you should choose a different avenue to voice your opinion. You can't do stuff that people won't like and still expect everyone to like you. The world just doesn't work like that. You choose your own path, so whatever happens to you is on you.

It's pretty much the same story as Tebow. Kap is a more talented QB than Tebow, but they are the same in the fact that they both bring the circus to town with them. Tebow's was more positive stuff, but the constant clamoring of everyone wanting him to be the starter when he clearly wasn't starter material was enough for teams to stay away from him as a backup QB. The difference with Tebow though is that he didn't try to say that he's being wrongly held out of the NFL because of his beliefs. He went about his business and found other career paths because he wasn't going to change what he believed. I respect that a lot. And I'm a pretty anti-Tebow guy. I'm usually skeptical of the over the top shows of Christianity. I always feel like they are trying to compensate and cover up for some serious flaws somewhere. He's avoided any kind of controversy at all though so I may have been wrong about him.

I look at it like this: When a person is at Work, like Kaepernick was, he's on his boss's time, not his own. If he wanted to stage a protest in that manner, he should have done so on his own time, not his boss's time. The GM should have walked out on the field and fired him on the spot.

TomasPistola

Bill O'Brien is supposed to be some kind of QB genius. I haven't seen him develop a single one into anything respectable. He's a lousy coach and that has nothing to do with Mallett.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2017, 01:38:22 pm
The GM should have walked out on the field and fired him on the spot.
What should they have done to the lady backs players who protested before the basketball games? Rip up their scholarships during the first time out?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: TomasPistola on July 29, 2017, 01:43:09 pm
Bill O'Brien is supposed to be some kind of QB genius. I haven't seen him develop a single one into anything respectable. He's a lousy coach and that has nothing to do with Mallett.

He has made the playoffs the last 2 years with mediocre qb play so I would say he has done good so far.  He is 9-7 each of his 3 years as head coach in the NFL. That's not bad for his first NFL coaching job. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GuvHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 29, 2017, 03:10:56 pm
What should they have done to the lady backs players who protested before the basketball games? Rip up their scholarships during the first time out?

College is different in that it's not a job for the players. They should have been reprimanded for their actions but chose not to do it again on their own.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2017, 03:18:56 pm
College is different in that it's not a job for the players. They should have been reprimanded for their actions but chose not to do it again on their own.
Yes, but that's good common sense, and the niners showed through the way the handled the harbaugh, tomsula, chip kelly fiascos they lack any common sense

GuvHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 29, 2017, 03:27:07 pm
Yes, but that's good common sense, and the niners showed through the way the handled the harbaugh, tomsula, chip kelly fiascos they lack any common sense

True, very true.

clutch

Quote from: TomasPistola on July 29, 2017, 01:43:09 pm

He was a pretty good college coach while at Penn State, but has underachieved in the Pros so far imo. As you mentioned, he hasn't even been able to develop a serviceable QB. He's had some of the most talented Defenses in the NFL, but the offenses have been pretty bad. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: clutch on July 29, 2017, 05:56:21 pm
He was a pretty good college coach while at Penn State, but has underachieved in the Pros so far imo. As you mentioned, he hasn't even been able to develop a serviceable QB. He's had some of the most talented Defenses in the NFL, but the offenses have been pretty bad. 

Really?  In his first 3 years he has gone 9-7 each season  has made the post season the last 2 years and won a playoff game last year. Doing this with out having a top notch qb is pretty good.  I would say he has overachieved so far.

The Texans have had 6 seasons out of the  15 they have existed with a winning record 3 of them are with O brien as the head coach.  They have been to the playoffs 4 times in those 15 years and 2 of them are under O brien.  He took over a 2-14 team the year before to have a 9-7 season his first year as head coach.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 06:06:38 pm
Really?  In his first 3 years he has gone 9-7 each season  has made the post season the last 2 years and won a playoff game last year. Doing this with out having a top notch qb is pretty good.  I would say he has overachieved so far.

The Texans have had 6 seasons out of the  15 they have existed with a winning record 3 of them are with O brien as the head coach.  They have been to the playoffs 4 times in those 15 years and 2 of them are under O brien.  He took over a 2-14 team the year before to have a 9-7 season his first year as head coach.

He won 1 more game than Chip Kelly did in his first 3 years when Chip was fired from the Eagles.  The NFL likes 9 - 7 for a turnaround, not as long-term success.  9 - 7 or worse in season 4 and ownership begins to think that's all they're going to get out of him.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 29, 2017, 06:15:53 pm
He won 1 more game than Chip Kelly did in his first 3 years when Chip was fired from the Eagles.  The NFL likes 9 - 7 for a turnaround, not as long-term success.  9 - 7 or worse in season 4 and ownership begins to think that's all they're going to get out of him.

Not if he makes the playoffs again. Texans don't have the history of the eagles or the 49ners.  In the Texans history they have only 6 seasons that are winning seasons.  We aren't talking about the Eagles and we are not talking about the 49ners.  Plus chip Kelly got fired because of a 6-9 season then got fired again for a 2-14 season at the 49ners. He had 1 playoff appearance in 4 years in the NFL.

Guys on here just hate him because of mallett. So far he has done a pretty good job at the Texans. 

threeNout

a bit better for Mallett today:

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-training-camp-eric-weddle-20170729-story.html

QuoteCenter field: Safety Eric Weddle joined the turnover party that has pervaded the first three days of camp, making two interceptions on overthrown deep passes by Dustin Vaughan and Ryan Mallett, respectively. Rookie sixth-round pick Chuck Clark also intercepted Mallett, who was nonetheless a little sharper than he was in Friday's practice.

Going low: Mallett's struggles early in camp have been well-documented but he made a nice throw over the middle to connect with Keenan Reynolds (Navy) on a big play.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 06:26:23 pm
Not if he makes the playoffs again. Texans don't have the history of the eagles or the 49ners.  In the Texans history they have only 6 seasons that are winning seasons.  We aren't talking about the Eagles and we are not talking about the 49ners.  Plus chip Kelly got fired because of a 6-9 season then got fired again for a 2-14 season at the 49ners. He had 1 playoff appearance in 4 years in the NFL.

Guys on here just hate him because of mallett. So far he has done a pretty good job at the Texans. 

I don't hate him though I know many do.  I'm just pointing out he is one bad season away from being out of a job.  To his credit, he has avoided that kind of season so far.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 29, 2017, 06:49:22 pm
I don't hate him though I know many do.  I'm just pointing out he is one bad season away from being out of a job.  To his credit, he has avoided that kind of season so far.

It's the NFL. Almost every coach is one bad season from getting fired.  He has to have a really bad season to be fired. 

fullfan

Separation of sports and politics.  Separation of entertainment and politics.

Keep the stages pure.   Sounds simple enough.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: threeNout on July 29, 2017, 06:29:30 pm
a bit better for Mallett today:

Two more pics and running into the RB on a fake end around isn't exactly burning it up either though

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 06:06:38 pm

He's been in the worst division in football too.

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 06:26:23 pm

I don't hate him at all. I couldn't care less about the him and Mallett situation. Mallett blew that one when he wasn't responsible enough to be where he needed to be. I said I thought he was really good at Penn State. I thought what he did there was pretty amazing considering the state of the program when he took over. I just haven't been impressed with him in the NFL. 9-7 or not. That doesn't mean I don't think he is a good coach. I just don't think he is a good NFL coach....... right now. I'm not sure how his personality mixes with being an NFL head coach. I think he's got a good college head coach personality.

They beat Jacksonville three times, the Colts twice, the Lions once, the Titans once, the Bears once, and the Chiefs once.

The 19-12 win over the Chiefs was the only one that I thought was a really good win, although I thought the Chiefs played pretty bad that game. The Chiefs won the other contest 30-0.

The Titans were improved, but not there yet. The Lions were the Lions, pretty average. Colts an 8-8 team, Jacksonville and Chicago both 3 win teams.

They never scored more than 27 points in any game all year.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: clutch on July 29, 2017, 07:31:34 pm
He's been in the worst division in football too.

Ok. Your point? It is still the NFL and he has been to the playoffs 2 years in a row. 

Actually the worst division last year was the NFC west.

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 08:23:18 pm
Ok. Your point? It is still the NFL and he has been to the playoffs 2 years in a row. 

Actually the worst division last year was the NFC west.

I've already mentioned my point. My point is that I feel he hasn't proved much as an NFL coach as of right now. I said I think he was a really good college coach, and I do think he could be a good NFL coach. I just don't feel he is one right now. It's an opinion. You're awfully defensive of Billy O'. You're acting like 9-7 and a playoff birth is something amazing. It's not. It's good, but nothing special in that division. That division has been really bad for a few years.

Both Wild Card teams last year had a better record than them. They won their division over Tennessee, who had the same record as them. Beat Tennessee by 7, and lost to Tennessee by 7. It could be argued that even though Houston got in over the Titans, they Titans were a better team. They scored 102 more points, while only allowing 50 more points than Houston. I don't know if they were or not. All I'm trying to say is that he's been fortunate because of the division he's been in.

Same goes for 2015 season. They got in the playoffs because they won their division that wasn't very good. Both Wild Card teams and a team that got left out, the Jets, had better records than them.

The NFC West may have been the worst last year, but the Seahawks would have owned the AFC South and the Cardinals wouldn't have finished 7-8-1 if they were in the AFC South. Rams and Niners were trash though.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 29, 2017, 06:15:53 pm

Speaking of, there was some dude on hogville saying how great chip Kelly was a few years ago. Lmbo. Anyone remember him?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 29, 2017, 09:54:27 pm
Speaking of, there was some dude on hogville saying how great chip Kelly was a few years ago. Lmbo. Anyone remember him?

Still might be true. Just not good in the NFL doesn't mean he isn't a good college coach. Nick Saban wasn't very good in the NFL, but is one of the greatest college coaches ever.

lakecityhog

How many Razorback QB's over the last 30 years has had a better NFL career than Mallett? Joe F with the Bill's for sure, any others?

Myself, I will always be grateful that we had Mallett. I am grateful that he led us to the best 2 year record in a long, long time. I truly enjoyed watching him play as a HOG and I really enjoy it when he gets a chance in any NFL game.

It would be hard for me to sit here and try to downgrade him and his ability when he has done something that MANY high profile college QB's have failed to do. He is starting his 6th? season as an NFL QB, back-up or not, he is an NFL QB and not very many people can say that.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 10:28:37 pm
Nick Saban wasn't very good in the NFL, but is one of the greatest college coaches ever.

hard to know that after 2 seasons.  Bill Belichick was even worse using the same measurement.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 29, 2017, 10:41:01 pm
hard to know that after 2 seasons.  Bill Belichick was even worse using the same measurement.

Well it stays true because he never went back to the NFL. So until he does he wasn't very good there. 

bennyl08

Brandon Allen: Bortles threw about 5 int's in practice, 3 in 11 on 11 drills. On 30 snaps, he went 13 of 22 and 3 int's, Henne went 4 of 6 on 15 snaps. BA went 8 of 9 on 15 snaps. Also was part of the top play of the day throwing to a TE who caught it with one hand (plus side, the TE caught it, down side, had to one hand catch it).

In a different practice, BA also was part of the top play throwing the ball up in a one on one and the receiver leaping up and coming down with the ball. In this practice, Bortles had 52 snaps and went 21 of 29, Henne had 26 and went 8-15, Allen had 24 snaps and went 7-12.

In the first practice of camp, Bortles had 24 snaps and went 12-14, Henne had 30 with 9-14, and BA had 24 going 10-16.

Toby Baker: Impressed in a rookie tryout enough to get invited to camp. Their young punter last year struggled, so they are certainly open to getting a new punter. Basically, their previous punter has a much stronger leg than Baker, but isn't as accurate.

Collins is fighting for a roster spot. Is solidly behind Lacy, Rawls, and Procise.

Derby is showing off in practice with his receiving ability. He is projected to be a starter along with Green to start the season with Green being more of a blocker than Derby. However, all that could change when Jake Butt gets healthy as he was drafted to be their top TE.

Wise Jr had to run laps twice for jumping offsides for the Patriots. Flowers had some good one on one battles with LT Nate Solder. A different report mentioned a time during 1on1 where Flowers was easily handled by Solder. Same report noted that Wise sprinted his laps with the "fastest penalty lap in recent memory". Clearly trying to impress the coaches. Wise Struggled against Max Rich. Cody Hollister wasn't seen after appearing to hurt his shoulder.

Hamilton is low on the Steeler's pecking order. Justin Hunter is making the most of his time and filling as a starter right now opposite Brown. Cobi is working on special teams as well to try and make a spot.

Herndon was indeed recently signed by the cowboys after being fairly productive in a short time while healthy in SD.

Cameron Jefferson is still in the NFL with the Bills...

Loewen recorded some "splash" plays and a sack. Fairley is out the year with a heart condition.

Sprinkle and Spaight doing well in Washington, but are stuck behind some talented players ahead of them.

Swanson is still the tentative starter in Detroit at center.

Robert Thomas is actually the frontrunner to be a starter with the Giants.

LeSean McCoy praised JWill's quickness and believes he will do a good job in the #2 role for the bills this year. Williams was still bothered by his 2015 foot injury last year but is fully healthy now.

Wright is going down swinging in Minnesota. He is showing in camp to be one of, if not the quickest receiver of the group. Was the vike's leading receiver for '14 and '15 combined. He is noted as being very consistent and not being noticed for anything bad, it's just that he doesn't wow either. And the team seems to prefer Digs in the slot.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

onebadrubi

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 03:16:33 pm
He has made the playoffs the last 2 years with mediocre qb play so I would say he has done good so far.  He is 9-7 each of his 3 years as head coach in the NFL. That's not bad for his first NFL coaching job.

Ummm look who he has to beat to get to the playoffs. And he was blessed with a STOUT defense.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 29, 2017, 11:21:12 pm
Ummm look who he has to beat to get to the playoffs. And he was blessed with a STOUT defense.

Ok. Fact is he still has made it back to back playoffs also going 9-7 in each of his first 3 seasons. I am not saying that he is a great coach just disputing others on here that say he is a bad coach.  He may end up falling a part, but for a franchise that has 6 total winning seasons and he has 3 of them is doing pretty good so far plus he doesn't have an elite qb.  Imagine if he had a good qb instead of scrubs. 

Also I would say that the other teams in the same division have better qbs than what he has had so far.

DeltaBoy

I hope he does great I always liked him!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 11:54:21 pm
Ok. Fact is he still has made it back to back playoffs also going 9-7 in each of his first 3 seasons. I am not saying that he is a great coach just disputing others on here that say he is a bad coach.  He may end up falling a part, but for a franchise that has 6 total winning seasons and he has 3 of them is doing pretty good so far plus he doesn't have an elite qb.  Imagine if he had a good qb instead of scrubs. 

Also I would say that the other teams in the same division have better qbs than what he has had so far.

Luck has been out 2 of the three seasons I believe. 

Houstons success has been attributed to their down conference and their stout defense. If Obrien was any good, he'd have that offense above average and have that team a league contender.

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 29, 2017, 10:28:37 pm
Still might be true. Just not good in the NFL doesn't mean he isn't a good college coach. Nick Saban wasn't very good in the NFL, but is one of the greatest college coaches ever.

I don't like this argument because Nick never tried to go back and prove if he was good or not. So much about success is based off of where you are at in the NFL. Pete Carroll was perceived as a coach who was great in college but not very good in the NFL, until he came back to the NFL and won a Superbowl as well as had many other successful seasons with the Seahawks.

I guess that's coaching on every level though. I saw a ranking of Big 10 coaches the other day and Lovie Smith was near the bottom. He coached a team to a superbowl. They were making the argument that he was a better NFL coach than college coach. I think it's more easily explained by looking at the fact that he's coaching at Illinois.

hobhog

According to Baltimore beat writer, Mallett hasn't exactly lit it up in practice. Hope he turns it on soon or may get passed by.....

hawganatic

Quote from: clutch on July 30, 2017, 12:41:07 pm
I don't like this argument because Nick never tried to go back and prove if he was good or not.

Saban was only in the NFL for two years and it was his decision to leave.  Not a long enough time frame to say that he failed.

Chip Kelly on the other hand has been fired from both of his NFL jobs, and both organizations were more of a clusterf%^& when he left than when he got there. 

Think we can declare Kelly an NFL failure.  Saban I just dont' think he coached long enough in the NFL to declare him the same.

clutch

Quote from: hawganatic on July 30, 2017, 02:16:51 pm
Saban was only in the NFL for two years and it was his decision to leave.  Not a long enough time frame to say that he failed.

Chip Kelly on the other hand has been fired from both of his NFL jobs, and both organizations were more of a clusterf%^& when he left than when he got there. 

Think we can declare Kelly an NFL failure.  Saban I just dont' think he coached long enough in the NFL to declare him the same.

I agree. Kelly had 2 opportunities and good enough talent in place that he should have been able to field some decent teams. He didn't. Heck of a coach at Oregon, but his system just didn't translate well to the NFL. His system requires a QB to do things that a QB in the NFL just can't do week in and week out.

TrueBlue

It is a bad sign when they are considering bring in KaeperDick as the backup. That can't be good for Mallett.

However, the fans are letting their feelings known to management they they do not want KaeperDick.

Gonzo

Dr. Starcs

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Gonzo on July 30, 2017, 06:22:50 pm
I miss the ignore button

Go Hogs!
If you mean you want to block posters so you can't read their post, PM me.

ChicoHog

Quote from: clutch on July 29, 2017, 01:18:10 pm

Very well said Clutch.    Good post. 

root_hawg

How long is Flacco supposed to be out?  I thought it was like one pre season game.

Kap is free to express whatever he wants, he is not however free from the consequences of his freedom of speech.