Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do people want a "big name" coach?

Started by popcornhog, November 25, 2012, 10:34:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2012, 11:28:56 am
What did he say to Mrs. Phillips when he took over the VANDY job and started to recruit very well then?

You mean when he racked up the classes that led him to the point that his signature win is against Ole Miss?

Vandy has three four star recruits committed.  Arkansas has two with five fewer total commits than Vandy.  Does that mean you might want to bring John L. and staff back? 

Oliver

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 25, 2012, 11:49:44 am
You mean when he racked up the classes that led him to the point that his signature win is against Ole Miss?

Vandy has three four star recruits committed.  Arkansas has two with five fewer total commits than Vandy.  Does that mean you might want to bring John L. and staff back? 

John L could have made us bowl eligible with Vandy's schedule.  Maybe you are onto something

popcornhog

Quote from: bpoecell on November 25, 2012, 11:13:41 am
Because no one on here actually knows the criteria for evaluating and hiring a successful football coach, myself included.

That's sort of my point. 2-3 years from now we'll all know if Long made the right hire. At that point Long will deserve to be fired or praised. Even if the hire is mediocre, I say fire him.
WPS

SexyBeast77

There are only x number of "name hires" available in a given year. Some of those don't want to come to Arkansas. Arkansas doesn't have the money to hire some of them. Some of them don't need the super mega bucks or 20% raise.
  In the final analysis an "up and comer" or coordinator from the SEC or a big conference might be a better fit than a proven coach in the Sun Belt or lower conference if the "big names" at the mid level schools aren't interested.

popcornhog

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on November 25, 2012, 11:39:41 am
We want a big time program, that's why.  I understand the two do not necessarily go hand in hand but you gotta swing for the fences.  Especially after you send an elite coach packing.

I'd rather win the SEC, BCS bowls, and/or an NC than have a cool/big name coach.

Both would be great, but I do not care about the coach's name nearly as much as where he takes the program.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Oliver on November 25, 2012, 11:57:28 am
John L could have made us bowl eligible with Vandy's schedule.  Maybe you are onto something

John L could've made Arkansas bowl eligible with Vandy's schedule. Maybe so.

But he could not have made Vandy bowl eligible with Vandy's schedule.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: hog911 on November 25, 2012, 11:31:09 am
Then we should hire Kirby Smart! Correct?

Kirby Smart is absolutely worth considering.

I think Petersen, Patterson, or Franklin would be better though.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2012, 11:25:55 am
I don't care if he has a big name or not as long as he is considered big time when he leaves here.

Exactly.
WPS

murthage

Quote from: StreetThief99 on November 25, 2012, 10:52:50 am
and BTW, Doeren has won 22 games in two years. Next week his team plays #23 Kent state, who beat Rutgers, 35-23. His team already beat Toledo this year, and Toledo beat Cincinnati.

But no, we need a big name coach

Never heard of him, but after checking his stats/history on Wikipedia, he looks like a real steal for somebody.  He isn't high enough on the radar to be a target for Long, but hopefully he stays out of the SEC.  Thanks for the info....

hog.goblin

It doesn't have to be a big name, but it has to be someone who has had success at a BCS school.

After crossing out all of the pipedream big names, I'm left with Dave Doeren as the best coach available.

It would be an underwhelming press conference, but seen as tremendous hire 3 years down the road.

tophawg19

Quote from: HawginTexas on November 25, 2012, 10:51:03 am
I agree that a big name creates excitement. It also gives credibility to your program and keep impact recruiting in the first class of signees (Joe Adams is an example). The truth is it is hard to get a if name, if you be honest with yourself here are schools that took a risk and hired people who were not household names....after all, Saban's and Myers don't come around often

ND- Kelley
Oregan- Kelly
Florida- muschamp
FSU-  Fisher
Texas- Brown
Oklahoma- Stoops
Boise St- Peterson
TCU-Patterson
Georgia-Richt
LSU- Miles
Stanford-Shaw
Michigan- Hoke

....and the list could continue. The fact is most all Hog fans would love to have any of these coaches named. They would all be "big name" hires now, but at the time they were hired at their schools they weren't. So I hope if our new coach isn't one of these guys that our fans will give them support and time to be a "big name" coach for us.
EVERY ONE OF THESE COACHES LANDED ON TEAMS IN RECRUITING HOTBEDS AND MOST WERE ALREADY ON THEIR WAY TO BEING A BIG NAME. OR WERE ALREADY KNOWN TOO THE SCHOOL FROM HAVING BEEN WITH THE STAFF BEFORE . NOW SHOW SOME UP AND COMERS THAT DID WELL AT LESSER SCHOOLS
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

SexyBeast77

A good number of Arkansas fans seem to have developed some sense of entitlement. As if we are entitled to a Great coach and we're too damn good for Franklin or Tubberville or Strong. They wouldn't be as exciting initially, but they would all do pretty well I feel.

tophawg19

you better have a big name if your going to recruit well enough to win the SEC . a coach having to follow spurrier, richt, miles , saban into a recruits home has to be a known person. hi i'm dave doreen from arkansas doesn't get any recruit excited after just shaking hands with chip kelly, urban myers , or a Brian Kelley either . they are going to be thinking ''' oh your the best arkansas could do huh''
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

popcornhog

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 25, 2012, 12:27:28 pm
It doesn't have to be a big name, but it has to be someone who has had success at a BCS school.

After crossing out all of the pipedream big names, I'm left with Dave Doeren as the best coach available.

It would be an underwhelming press conference, but seen as tremendous hire 3 years down the road.

I'd be cool with Dave Doeren. No doubt he can coach. Recruiting and running a big program would present new challenges for a guy like that, but he definitely has potential.

Doeren, Franklin, Gus, or Smart are all somewhat underwhelming hires in many people's minds that I believe could have success at Arkansas.

I'd probably put Doeren at the bottom of that list just because if lack of familiarity with the SEC.

I'm still hoping for Petersen though. Fingers crossed.
WPS