Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs in the NFL

Started by bennyl08, September 03, 2017, 02:21:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

September 03, 2017, 02:21:23 pm Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:16:35 pm by bennyl08
B. Allen: Waived by Jax after the initial trim down. He made their initial 53 man roster, and was waived in order to sign some other team's castoff's. This strongly suggests that they want to try and sneak him onto their practice squad. Will have to wait for news to see where he does actually land though.
Alex Collins: Signed to the Jets practice squad initially but later the Ravens PS after being waived by Seattle
Toby Baker: waived by SD (LA...)
K. Davis: Waived by Steelers. Currently unsigned. Decent chance he won't be.
AJ Derby: Made the 53 man roster, listed 3rd string at TE.
B. Ellis: Waived by Patriots. Long shot to be on a practice squad.
T. Flowers: Starting RDE for the Patriots
C. Gragg: Placed on the IR for the jets
C. Hamilton: Waived by Steelers, no news on where he might land. Done enough in pre-season and regular season to expect that there's a decent chance he will land somewhere.
K. Hatcher: Waived by Raiders but signed to their practice squad
H. Henry: Backup/co-starter at TE for the chargers.
Z. Hocker: Waived by TB, long shot to be picked up this season.
C. Hollister: Waived by Patriots but signed to their practice squad.
S. Irwin-Hill: Waived by Cowboys, did decently in preseason so could be a mid-season signing if there's an injury, but probably won't be signed for now.
C. Jefferson: waived by Bills. Don't see any news on him being picked up.
D. Kirkland: Made the 53 man roster for Raiders. Listed as backup LG.
J. Ledbetter: Made Lions 53 man roster. Listed as 3rd string DT, but will likely see a fair amount of time on obvious passing downs.
M. Loewen: Made Saints 53 man roster. No depth chart listed, but he's likely a situational pass rusher as well.
R. Mallett: made Ravens 53 man roster, much to zeke's disgust I'm sure. Their backup qb.
D. McFadden: Made Cowboys 53 man roster. Listed as backup to Elliot, whose suspension is still in the air.
T. Mitchel: On the colts IR.
D. Morgan: waived by dolphins, placed on their practice squad.
J. Peters: Made Eagle's 53 man roster. Potentially hall of fame career as a LT.
O. Peters: waived by seahawks. Played well, but no news yet on a practice squad signing.
D. Philon: Made Charger's 53 man roster. Listed as a backup DT.
D. Skipper: Waived by cowboys, now on Cowboys practice squad
C. Smith: Made Bengals 53 man roster. Listed as 3rd string RDE.
M. Spaight: Made Washington 53 man roster, listed as 2nd string MLB.
J. Sprinkle: Made Washington 53 man roster, listed as 3rd string TE.
T. Swanson: Made Lions 53 man roster. Starting center.
R. Thomas: Made Giants 53 man roster. 2nd string DT.
J. Williams: Made Bills 53 man roster initially. Later waived to pickup other players. Was listed as the #2 RB, so his cut was a surprise to everybody. Likely to end up back on the 53, worst case is that he'll be on a practice squad.
D. Wise Jr: Made Patriots 53 man roster. Listed as backup LDE.
J. Wright: Made Vikings 53 man roster, listed as 2nd string WR (he's a slot guy and they only list 2 spots).

That gives us currently: 17 players on active rosters, 3 starters, 10 2nd string, 5 practice squad, 2 IR, and 5 player currently a FA likely to get picked up before it's all said and done. 1 player iffy to get picked up. 4 players whose career is likely over.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bubba's Bruisers

Fantastic summary.  Didn't realize how many we had in the NFL.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

alohawg

Thanks man, I always appreciate the effort you invest for us.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawgmasta

Yeah thank you Benny I love seeing all this info in one post.

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on September 03, 2017, 02:31:07 pm
Collins is on the Ravens practice squad.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11279/alex-collins

A good organization.  I think he eventually works his way back into a 53.  Somewhere.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on September 03, 2017, 02:31:07 pm
Collins is on the Ravens practice squad.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11279/alex-collins

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-waiverpractice-squad-tracker-kasen-williams-claimed-by-cleveland-browns/

This says he's signing with the jets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/03/ravens-announce-six-practice-squad-signings/

This doesn't show Alex Collins.

There's a lot of movement going around and probably several conflicting reports. Probably best to wait for the dust to settle, but that's not as fun as driving in the storm.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on September 03, 2017, 02:40:06 pm
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/904421950218493953

Voila.

Good move by Collins. Both teams were RB needy, but Ravens organization is way better run than the jets. Would actually be surprised if they don't activate Collins to the 53 man at some point this season given the lack of talent and injury prone-ness of their backfield.

alohawg

It's not stretch to imagine Mallett handing off to Collins regularly on an NFL field soon. More reason to tune in to Baltimore games.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

factchecker

It's crazy to think with all the bitching Hogville does about walk-ons that Derby and Loewen are still on NFL rosters.  Derby was highly recruited out of high school (signed with Iowa) but he was a walk-on here.  Thank goodness he finally listened and moved to tight end otherwise he might have never made it to the league.  Funny enough Loewen started off as a tight end here then moved the defensive end.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Airforcehawg

daprospecta

Quote from: factchecker on September 03, 2017, 03:00:08 pm
It's crazy to think with all the bitching Hogville does about walk-ons that Derby and Loewen are still on NFL rosters.  Derby was highly recruited out of high school (signed with Iowa) but he was a walk-on here.  Thank goodness he finally listened and moved to tight end otherwise he might have never made it to the league.  Funny enough Loewen started off as a tight end here then moved the defensive end.
To be fair, Derby had the size and athleticism to play TE. He was just stubborn and wanted to play QB.  Tebow as well. Tebow could easily be an H-Back in the league.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: daprospecta on September 03, 2017, 04:45:12 pm
To be fair, Derby had the size and athleticism to play TE. He was just stubborn and wanted to play TE. 

And he was a transfer walk on.  And I didn't realize there was a bunch of bitching about walk ons.  I know there's been plenty of griping about the state of the OL given Clary started., but he's not a walk on.

Walk ons are great.  Need a good walk on program.  But you wouldn't make a team out of them.  And sure, some ultimately make it to the NFL, but I bet they represent a very, very small minority.  Of course, when your program has largely been a mediocre one, we tend to focus on arguing for the exception over the rule.

trippigs

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: factchecker on September 03, 2017, 03:00:08 pm

Walkons have helped us a lot. Not sure why so many are negative heck if Burlsworth came along now half the fans would be highly critical of him.

bennyl08

Jwill could do really well with the Colts if they want him.

kodiakisland

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on September 03, 2017, 08:10:23 pm
Walkons have helped us a lot. Not sure why so many are negative heck if Burlsworth came along now half the fans would be highly critical of him.

I certainly haven't read every post on here, but I've yet to see anyone critical of a player because they are a walk on.  What I have seen is posters being critical of recruitment and player development when we continually have to depend on a couple of walk ons every year instead of the scholarship recruits we sign.  I am glad we have such a great walk on program.  Just think were we'd be without them.  I wish we could get a few more walk ons on the hill.  We need them.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hogginbama

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 03, 2017, 09:58:27 pm
I certainly haven't read every post on here, but I've yet to see anyone critical of a player because they are a walk on.  What I have seen is posters being critical of recruitment and player development when we continually have to depend on a couple of walk ons every year instead of the scholarship recruits we sign.  I am glad we have such a great walk on program.  Just think were we'd be without them.  I wish we could get a few more walk ons on the hill.  We need them.

Sometimes those walk-ons out-perform the schollie player because scholarship player got complacent. Heck, even JJ Watts was a walk-on at one time, now look at him. Recruiting does have its busts, just like the NFL draft has busts.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Hogs49ers

Looks like Chris Smith is doing well in the preseason for the Bengals, he made PFF's all-preseason team:

From PFF:

Edge: Chris Smith, Cincinnati Bengals, 87.1 overall grade
Smith didn't play in Week 4, but his early preseason dominance was too much to for the rest of the edge players to overcome. He managed a sack on limited snaps in Week 3, but in Weeks 1 and 2, he totaled 14 total pressures.
SCREW Vandy!

Keyser Sooieze

Thank you, Benny!
My Yahoo Fantasy league had Hunter Henry listed as taking over starting duties from Agates

Bubba's Bruisers

Both Flowers and Wise have a sack in the first half tonight.

jbcarol

Mike Renner‏Verified account @PFF_Mike 16h16 hours ago

Most pressures among rookie defensive linemen:

1 (tie). Deatrich Wise, Patriots (7)
1 (tie). Carl Lawson, Bengals (7)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

AirForceHog

Jeremy Sprinkle may get his first start for the Redskins today. Josh Reed is listed as game time decision.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

hawgmasta

Flowers with a sack second play of the game.

razobak

Martrell Spaight was second on the team with 9 tackles for the Redskins against the Raiders last night, also recovering the fumble that iced the game.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

jbcarol

SEC Country Arkansas‏ @SECCountryHogs Sep 25

Former Arkansas OL Dan Skipper has new NFL home  #WPS http://sec.news/2xs93T9

Lions
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hawgmasta

Quote from: razobak on September 25, 2017, 09:31:38 am
Martrell Spaight was second on the team with 9 tackles for the Redskins against the Raiders last night, also recovering the fumble that iced the game.

Man I love Spaight,  he was the true definition of not being the biggest guy but just wanting it more. I wish him all the success in life.

bennyl08

Through 3 weeks of play...

Robert Thomas: 2 assisted tackles, Giants
Jason Peters: No stats, Eagles
Martrell Spaight: 4 solo, 6 assist, 1 fumble recovery, washington
Jeremy Sprinkle: no stats with washington
Drew Morgan: Still appears to be on Miami PS
Cody Hollister: presumably still on patriots PS
Trey Flowers: 5th on team in total tackles with 8 solo and 5 assist, leads team with 3.0 sacks,
Deatrich Wise Jr: 4 solo tackles and 1 assist, 2 sacks, 1 tfl, 1 pass defended. Wise and Flowers combine for 5/6 of the patriots sacks
Chris Gragg: No stats yet with the Jets
Brandon Allen: No stats with the Rams
AJ Derby: 4 rec, 7 targets, 39 yards (9.75 ypc), long of 13, 14 YAC, 3 first downs, 1 solo tackle, broncos
Jonathan Williams: Denver practice squad
Hunter Henry: Chargers, 7 receptions, 8 targets, 80 yards (11.4 ypc), long 17, 8 YAC, 4 first downs
Darius Philon: 4 solo, 2 assist, 1 tfl
Keon Hatcher: presumably still on Raiders PS
Denver Kirkland: no stats with raiders
Travis Swanson: No stats with Lions
Jeremiah Ledbetter: 1 solo, 3 assist, lions
Dan Skipper: now with the lions PS
Bret Goode: Still starting LS for the Packers
Jarius Wright: 4 rec, 7 targets, 39 yards (9.75 ypc) 1 td, long 21, 2 first downs, 4 YAC, vikings
Ryan Mallett: 6 of 9, 36 yards (4.0 ypa), long 8, 1 td, 0 int, 0 sacks, ravens
Alex Collins: 16 carries, 124 yards (7.8 ypc), (players ahead of him are at 3.5 and 3.9 ypc), long of 19, 1 fumble (lost), 5 first downs, ravens
Chris Smith: 6 solo, 4 assist (8th in total tackles on team), 1.5 sacks, 1 tfl, cincy
Mitchell Loewen: no stats for the saints
Darren McFadden: No stats for the cowboys

Airforcehawg

Big Skip just got promoted to the Lion active roster.

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/923596851378642944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw