Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Hog Zone, Jim Harris

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, October 03, 2017, 10:11:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jvanhorn

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 04, 2017, 07:41:18 am
When malzahn was there it may have been interesting but not now.

Somewhere down the line playing UCA may get to be just as interesting as playing Arkansas State.  You can't stop change.  Things will be different. It is simply a question of when.

MountieDawg

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 09:34:13 am
Name a game they have given 15,000 tickets away, of course, I'm speaking of the University of Arkansas, not ASU as they have......

Do you have any idea how many tickets they give or sell at a super reduced price to the Walmarts, JB Hunts, Tysons, etc to try and fill up the stands... There are many basketball games they cant give away tickets to anyone.
SEC!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 04, 2017, 02:09:51 pm
In my eyes it's a black mark to carry on Broyles's antiquated thinking about how the UA is too good to play ASU.  Jeff Long has done a great job modernizing Arkansas and it's kind of odd to hold on to a relic of yesteryear with the ASU ban.  I'm personally fine with Jeff Long saying athletic director and I'm not looking for him to be pushed out the door.  However, it's time to bury the one state, one team myth along with WMS. 

It's a business not a neighborhood association. Choosing not to do business with potential competitors is not a statement that you are "too good" for something, it's just wise resource allocation.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 02:10:07 pm
I too graduated in 88 and I remember the talent level the LR schools had. LRSD is a travesty now.

That sucks. I was wondering why you don't see or hear of many (if any) Hog starters / players out of LRSD...Thanks for the info!

hogsanity

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 04, 2017, 02:18:47 pm
.. There are many basketball games they cant give away tickets to anyone.

Ah great, you just invited the Mike Anderson PR group to the party.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

East Clintwood

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 12:08:39 pm
It won't be split evenly.  Not concerned it would ever be.  I could see football being banned before the time came A St support inside Arkansas would be detrimental to the Hogs football program. 

Since the UoA has decided to abandoned the fans in the rest of the state, support for ASU (and P5 schools in border states) has been growing.  If they were to play each other, especially if ASU was at all competitive, the support would grow rapidly to the point it would hurt the Razorbacks.
oA has
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 04, 2017, 02:40:05 pm
Since the UoA has decided to abandoned the fans in the rest of the state, support for ASU (and P5 schools in border states) has been growing.  If they were to play each other, especially if ASU was at all competitive, the support would grow rapidly to the point it would hurt the Razorbacks.
oA has

You feel abandoned but mock Bielema in another thread for being soft? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

East Clintwood

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 02:47:49 pm

The only reason I feel abandoned is because Jeff Long doesn't place any importance on winning.

I think they should have dropped the LR games several years ago when they moved the LSU game to Fayetteville.

Seebs

So much wrong with this thread it is mind-boggling.

ASU is the participant in the parade that cleans up behind the elephants with a scoop and broom but wants to  be judged with the bands and floats on equal footing.
You are a fledgling school with leftover athletes that were either grade risks or transfers.  Your coaches tend to stay one or two years and move on to real jobs. Your relevance reaches from Pocahontas to New Madrid. NE Arkansas' top HS players do not even consider ASU because it is too low of an institution to consider consideration. 
Having Jim Harris as your advocate is like having Kevin Hart as your NBA center.  It gets some laughs but in the end will get you a loss.

I attended an old AIC school. We know where we stand and I am a fan of both institutions. We know our place. ASU can never, ever compete with the University of Arkansas on any level within the state of Arkansas. It is pitiful to think that Arkansas State lauds itself as anything close to being relevant and deserving a seat at a P5 table.

As for you salty ASU advocates. Butthurt is your moniker. Why not us? We need the money! We have a chance. Good for you. Continue to re-tweet supermodel's twitters in hopes of securing an intimate conversation with them and eloping to Bimini. Fantasy.

UCA has surpassed ASU as far as second fiddle in Arkansas. True story. They do now cry and bemoan that they do not play Arkansas. They simply enjoy their success and continue to grow. ASU fan, be less bitter and lose the flase sense of entitlement and stay up in the corner where you still are second to the Razorbacks - as much as that hurts you.

The Razorbacks are the newborn baby. ASU is the episiotomy - always  will be.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

factchecker

oA has

Support for ASU has not been growing.  If it has then they wouldn't be taking our tax money (subsidies) and stealing from students to pay for their athletics.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 02:47:49 pm

Some of the biggest complainers are limp wristed titty babies.

They trash the team, the coaches, the program for being "soft" but cry about not playing games in their back yard.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TrueBlue

Quote from: 311Hog on October 04, 2017, 11:54:14 am
Im sorry but you have to be dense to believe this.

I mean you answered your own question.  The UofA books these teams because they mean nothing to the state of Arkansas.  The tiny fan base of the Citadel isn't going to camp out on Hogville for an eternity because they won a game back in the 90's i can promise you if that was ASU we would still be hearing about it.
There are no big money boosters backing the Citadel or at risk of changing allegiances etc. so many reasons i do not even have time to explain them all, it is what you would call "common sense".

Dense? And you're an arse-wipe. And probably just a punk that knows no better.

And you have no reasonings - so don't attack me. Razorbacks are scared that they might slip up one of these years and lose to A-State - which they will not want to happen.

Keep scheduling the Toledo's of the world - they will beat you every few years with CBB at the helm, you can bank on it.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Seebs on October 04, 2017, 03:07:26 pm

ASU is the participant in the parade that cleans up behind the elephants with a scoop and broom but wants to  be judged with the bands and floats on equal footing.
You are a fledgling school with leftover athletes that were either grade risks or transfers.  Your coaches tend to stay one or two years and move on to real jobs. Your relevance reaches from Pocahontas to New Madrid. NE Arkansas' top HS players do not even consider ASU because it is too low of an institution to consider consideration. 
Having Jim Harris as your advocate is like having Kevin Hart as your NBA center.  It gets some laughs but in the end will get you a loss.

I attended an old AIC school. We know where we stand and I am a fan of both institutions. We know our place. ASU can never, ever compete with the University of Arkansas on any level within the state of Arkansas. It is pitiful to think that Arkansas State lauds itself as anything close to being relevant and deserving a seat at a P5 table.

As for you salty ASU advocates. Butthurt is your moniker. Why not us? We need the money! We have a chance. Good for you. Continue to re-tweet supermodel's twitters in hopes of securing an intimate conversation with them and eloping to Bimini. Fantasy.

UCA has surpassed ASU as far as second fiddle in Arkansas. True story. They do now cry and bemoan that they do not play Arkansas. They simply enjoy their success and continue to grow. ASU fan, be less bitter and lose the flase sense of entitlement and stay up in the corner where you still are second to the Razorbacks - as much as that hurts you.

Haha.

If ASU is what is sweeping up after the elephants, right now with CBB at the helm, the Razorbacks are what is being swept up. Truth. 

Oh, but now since we beat New Mexico State, we are going to win 8 or 9 games. Hogville definitely has some nice drugs.

snoblind

Worth not playing them just to see these threads 2-3 times/year with all the whining.

Seebs

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 04, 2017, 06:14:27 pm
Haha.

If ASU is what is sweeping up after the elephants, right now with CBB at the helm, the Razorbacks are what is being swept up. Truth. 

Oh, but now since we beat New Mexico State, we are going to win 8 or 9 games. Hogville definitely has some nice drugs.

Coaches come and go. I am talking about institutions, legacy, tradition, etc., Don't be a  turd burglar
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Seebs on October 04, 2017, 06:33:55 pm
Coaches come and go. I am talking about institutions, legacy, tradition, etc., Don't be a  turd burglar

Wasted effort, all games in LR, and only with BP as the coach.....

Inhogswetrust

oA has

Really they did that? Dang I live out of state and didn't get that memo......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 11:03:00 am
I think most (80%) of Hog fans support and want jonesboro state to do well.  It's the exact opposite with their fans.

If Hog fans truly knew how envious and nasty the red pup fans are they would change their mind fast.

Their fans have made fun of Canaan Sandy and had a horrible thread saying good riddance when Frank Broyles died.

They even trashed their own QB, Freddi Knighten, when he tweeted support for the Razorbacks in the Texas Bowl.  #WeHogs

Welp, maybe there's our 'natural' rivalry. I've always wanted to see them play, however I do understand the current thinking. And WMS would be great btw but $$$ is an issue.

I'd be all for moving the Mizzou game up and play ASU on Thanksgiving weekend. It wouldn't create much buzz nationally (as if last year's Mizzou game was a must-watch), but I'd bet 3/4 of regular homegrown Joe Blow couch tater football fans would like to see it happen somehow.

I think it would be fun. Arkansas may be one of - if not the last - school to play all home games on campus,  but we are one of the few (if any) that won't play another in-state team.

factchecker

Quote from: LZH on October 04, 2017, 07:07:17 pm
but we are one of the few (if any) that won't play another in-state team.

http://gridironnow.com/alabama-ad-reaffirms-tide-wont-play-in-state-schools-out-of-conference-but-why/

If Auburn wasn't in the SEC they wouldn't play them either.

Real easy solution for jonesboro state - get invited to join the SEC.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RME

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 07:09:03 pm
http://gridironnow.com/alabama-ad-reaffirms-tide-wont-play-in-state-schools-out-of-conference-but-why/

I was about to say, get them in a P5 conference first, then let's come back and talk about it.

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 04, 2017, 07:10:48 pm
I was about to say, get them in a P5 conference first, then let's come back and talk about it.

They are 1-72 vs. P5 conferences:

0-3 vs. ACC
0-9 vs. BIG 10
1-13 vs. BIG 12 (AnM was in BIG 12 at the time)
0-2 vs. PAC 12
0-45 vs. SEC  (I think they have a win against Ole Miss in the 20s but it doesn't list it)

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/arkst/index.shtml
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LZH

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 07:09:03 pm

I did say "one of the few....."

I know more than anyone, if you're too lazy to do any homework, always try to leave yourself an out.

RME

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 07:19:23 pm
They are 1-72 vs. P5 conferences:

0-3 vs. ACC
0-9 vs. BIG 10
1-13 vs. BIG 12 (AnM was in BIG 12 at the time)
0-2 vs. PAC 12
0-45 vs. SEC  (I think they have a win against Ole Miss in the 20s but it doesn't list it)

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/arkst/index.shtml

Hahahahah. That's incredible.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 04, 2017, 06:12:38 pm
Dense? And you're an arse-wipe. And probably just a punk that knows no better.

And you have no reasonings - so don't attack me. Razorbacks are scared that they might slip up one of these years and lose to A-State - which they will not want to happen.

Keep scheduling the Toledo's of the world - they will beat you every few years with CBB at the helm, you can bank on it.

"You have no reasonings"

Srsly?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

snoblind

Quote from: Seebs on October 04, 2017, 03:07:26 pm

UCA beat ASU?  And these guys are whining about Arkansas not playing them?

:)

Sivad

Quote from: sowmonella on October 04, 2017, 09:19:19 am
That's just Jim Harris making a feeble attempt to make himself relevant.  :puke:
Well, he sure failed.

Hogvillage Idiot

UA vs ASU won't happen until ESPN wants it to happen.  No money; No game.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Bacons Rebellion

Living in Mississippi and Virginia has convinced me that we should NEVER play another in-state school. Much hatred generated by those games. There shouldn't be, but there is. I lived in Mississippi in the 80s, when Ole Miss and Miss St. were both irrelevant in college football. Irrelevancy didn't matter -- it still created irrational hatred.

rljjr

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 04, 2017, 06:14:27 pm
Haha.

We?

mjsphd

Seems like an easy solution to the "Great Stadium Debate".  Play ASU in Little Rock every year to open the season.  Charge $100.00 a ticket.  Round numbers, Hogs take home 4 million, ASU 1 million.  If fans don't want to pay that, after a season or 2, the "debate" is over.

Or rotate ASU, UAPB (we're already playing SWAC teams), and UCA (we're already playing FCS teams) in the opening LR game.  LR gets its game, the Hogs get their money, and sure wins against UAPB and UCA (no different than playing Alcorn State or Florida A & M).  Hogs would play ASU about 3 times every ten years.  Yes, once every 50 years, ASU might win.  Would that really be the end of the world?

ricepig

Quote from: mjsphd on October 05, 2017, 12:00:52 pm
Seems like an easy solution to the "Great Stadium Debate".  Play ASU in Little Rock every year to open the season.  Charge $100.00 a ticket.  Round numbers, Hogs take home 4 million, ASU 1 million.  If fans don't want to pay that, after a season or 2, the "debate" is over.

Or rotate ASU, UAPB (we're already playing SWAC teams), and UCA (we're already playing FCS teams) in the opening LR game.  LR gets its game, the Hogs get their money, and sure wins against UAPB and UCA (no different than playing Alcorn State or Florida A & M).  Hogs would play ASU about 3 times every ten years.  Yes, once every 50 years, ASU might win.  Would that really be the end of the world?

Fine, except play all the games on campus, 20,000 more seats, thus more money. Also, the in-state teams give U of A a discount on their game fee, you know, money stays in the state.......

hogsanity

Quote from: snoblind on October 04, 2017, 06:29:28 pm
Worth not playing them just to see these threads 2-3 times/year with all the whining.

except it is more like 2 or 3 times a month.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on October 05, 2017, 12:24:19 pm
Fine, except play all the games on campus, 20,000 more seats, thus more money. Also, the in-state teams give U of A a discount on their game fee, you know, money stays in the state.......

This, say $200K plus expenses. 

But play UCA, UAPB, Arkansas Tech, and everyone else except ASU.  Just so we can listen to them whine.

snoblind

Quote from: hogsanity on October 05, 2017, 12:28:14 pm

Yeah, thought about that as soon as I hit post. I like Rice's idea with a slight adjustment.

:)

Sivad

Quote from: hogsanity on October 05, 2017, 12:28:14 pm
Yes.
Pre-season wins and losses -always a guess.
But the whining ASwho crowd constantly crying for "THE game" as they call it - a guaranteed certainty.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sivad on October 05, 2017, 12:49:04 pm
Yes.
Pre-season wins and losses -always a guess.
But the whining ASwho crowd constantly crying for "THE game" as they call it - a guaranteed certainty.

I think they are just trying to get replies to a thread they start, the over/under on people that actually care enough about ASU to want that game is 6.

Jimbob111

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 04, 2017, 09:22:12 am
I'm a little surprised you can't see the reasoning behind why UA won't play AState. There is absolutely nothing to gain for Arkansas to play AState. Zero. No matter how entertaining that game would be to watch, it would do nothing but hurt the Hogs.

Like it was mentioned before. If UA wins big, the reaction is "Meh...they were suppose to." If UA wins with a marginal victory, the reaction is "Wow...did you see how well AState played and/or how poorly UA did vs the little bro." And if the stars aligned and AState BEAT the UA, the reaction would be unbelievably bad for the Hogs.

So, please tell me why in the world the UofA would WANT to play this game?

What I've never gotten is that Toledo, ULM, ULL, etc are basically the same risk/reward situations. If you beat them, you were supposed to, if you lose or it's marginal, you get hammered.

The rationale for not playing ASU is the same for all schools of that caliber. So why then, is it ok to play Toledo or NIU or ULL but not ASU?

The "little sister" comparisons are ridiculous. So if ASU is a little sister, why won't the Hogs play UCA? A little step-sister? 

So, going by the rationale that it's bad business to play in-state schools, why is it that LSU plays other in-state schools? Why does Alabama? Why does Auburn? Why do the Mississippi schools? Why does USCe? Why does Florida?  Name another P5 school that refuses to play other in-state schools on general principle. Name just one.  I'll hang up and listen.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

mjsphd

I don't think there is another one, but maybe someone can prove me wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 05, 2017, 05:18:58 pm
What I've never gotten is that Toledo, ULM, ULL, etc are basically the same risk/reward situations. If you beat them, you were supposed to, if you lose or it's marginal, you get hammered.

The rationale for not playing ASU is the same for all schools of that caliber. So why then, is it ok to play Toledo or NIU or ULL but not ASU?

The "little sister" comparisons are ridiculous. So if ASU is a little sister, why won't the Hogs play UCA? A little step-sister? 

So, going by the rationale that it's bad business to play in-state schools, why is it that LSU plays other in-state schools? Why does Alabama? Why does Auburn? Why do the Mississippi schools? Why does USCe? Why does Florida?  Name another P5 school that refuses to play other in-state schools on general principle. Name just one.  I'll hang up and listen.

Alabama doesn't, except for Auburn who is a conference foe. I assume you are speaking of football.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 05, 2017, 05:18:58 pm

Alabama.

They play Auburn because they're in the same conference but they refuse to play any other school in Alabama.