Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cutting the Cord/Cable

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, June 04, 2016, 02:26:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

is it truly possible?  while in destin, got approach by a street vendor espousing this possibility...."just need internet".

but with the way technology is progressing, is this in fact.....possible?

Pulled out...

OnTheHillHogFan

If you aren't a big sports fan and you have access to reliable high speed internet then yes. But where I live the internet isn't that great so its not an option right now.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 04, 2016, 05:53:16 pm
If you aren't a big sports fan and you have access to reliable high speed internet then yes. But where I live the internet isn't that great so its not an option right now.
are you serious Clark?  lol  Of course I'm a huge sports fan.  I was more worried about local channels.  Cable and satellite bills are getting redikulus!!

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

I currently have roku on my smart tv, for what that's worth

PP

RazrRila99

I havent had pay for tv in about three years.  Its awesome.  I get my local channels over the air.  For ESPN, etc i have a friend who helps me out there. 

Sling is where its at right now though.  So in short - its VERY possible.  With ESPN now having the App etc you wont miss much.  Do it, Doo it.

ricepig

Quote from: RazrRila99 on June 13, 2016, 04:50:17 pm
I havent had pay for tv in about three years.  Its awesome.  I get my local channels over the air.  For ESPN, etc i have a friend who helps me out there. 

Sling is where its at right now though.  So in short - its VERY possible.  With ESPN now having the App etc you wont miss much.  Do it, Doo it.

So, it's ok for your friend to have cable and ESPN?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 04, 2016, 05:56:02 pm
are you serious Clark?  lol  Of course I'm a huge sports fan.  I was more worried about local channels.  Cable and satellite bills are getting redikulus!!

PP
I was saying in general it is a lot easier to cut the cord if you aren't a big sports fan.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ImHogginIt

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 13, 2016, 09:47:54 pm
I was saying in general it is a lot easier to cut the cord if you aren't a big sports fan.

Yep. Virtually impossible. And NASCAR made it more difficult since most races are now on FS1 or NBCSN. Then I gotta have all the ESPN and Fox Sports channels, MLB network, MLB Exra Innings, CBSS, SEC Network, NFL Network, Golf, Sportsnet NY, Comcast sports networks,  ect...

zane

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 04, 2016, 02:26:36 pm
is it truly possible?  while in destin, got approach by a street vendor espousing this possibility...."just need internet".

but with the way technology is progressing, is this in fact.....possible?

Pulled out...

A jail broken Amazon Firestick will get you all of the channels (including sports) for free (except for the cost of the firestick). You just have to know seedy individuals that deal in such things.
RIP LSUfan

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: zane on June 14, 2016, 03:40:54 pm
A jail broken Amazon Firestick will get you all of the channels (including sports) for free (except for the cost of the firestick). You just have to know seedy individuals that deal in such things.
wonder if any reside in Manila.....

PP

VictoryRedChevy

I have Sling. Love it so far. I don't watch a bunch of tv, so at 20 bucks a month for Sling, I don't feel guilty or ripped off for not watching it anymore than I do. I did feel ripped off with cable and I do not miss that 70 dollar bill for expanded basic cable. Plus, there are 5 dollar add on tiers for Sports, News, etc., so I can add the SEC network when football season rolls around.

RazrRila99

Quote from: ricepig on June 13, 2016, 05:29:39 pm
So, it's ok for your friend to have cable and ESPN?

So far I havent had any problems.  She likes her cable TV shows so its doubtful she will go without cable (plus has kids who need their MTV).  She offered, I accepted. 

ricepig

Quote from: RazrRila99 on July 05, 2016, 04:23:32 pm
So far I havent had any problems.  She likes her cable TV shows so its doubtful she will go without cable (plus has kids who need their MTV).  She offered, I accepted. 

Well, chances are that won't continue forever, but good luck with it.

TomasPistola

Playstation network has a good choice of packages that are reasonably priced here in Atlanta. I'm strongly considering moving that direction. You don't have to have a playstation to use it either.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 13, 2016, 09:47:54 pm

If one is a sports fan but not of certain sports then no problem. We cut it, got an antenna and Roku with Sling channels including ESPN and the SEC network and have no problems. There are certain sports I don't watch hardly ever though like car racing, baseball and soccer. Even so I can get some baseball.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazrRila99

Quote from: ricepig on July 05, 2016, 05:30:08 pm
Well, chances are that won't continue forever, but good luck with it.

She could call me tomorrow and tell me not to use her login and I would have NO problem with that.  As I said, she offered, I accepted.  Its a way for me to save some coin on my end.  Ive found that I dont miss much regardless.  I havent had my ESPN app on since the Mizzou football game. 

waphill

Quote from: TomasPistola on July 05, 2016, 07:00:06 pm
Playstation network has a good choice of packages that are reasonably priced here in Atlanta. I'm strongly considering moving that direction. You don't have to have a playstation to use it either.

I've had it as soon as it launched in KC, and love it. It's cheap, and I run it through the PS3 that had been in my closet for a couple years. There are very few channels we watch, and it has them all. It takes a while to get used to navigating the menus.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: zane on June 14, 2016, 03:40:54 pm

Or, just go on ebay....or craigslist...

Jailbroken firestick is the way to go: Free PPV fights, all channels, movies before they come out on DVD/Blu-Ray, etc...

waphill

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 30, 2016, 05:15:18 pm
I am giving PlayStation Due a try right now and I agree with Waphill's observation that the menus do take a bit of getting used to but once you're past that it seems to work fine.  Recording of programs is a little tricky too - especially if you are trying to record an upcoming episode of a program that frequently airs (like SportsCenter).  It is NOT easy to pick a specific episode in the future. 

Yeah, it doesn't record individual episodes, it records every episode of selected show. I like that it doesn't store them locally. My only complaint is that if a live event runs over, you miss the end (OT in sports).