Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vols AD John Currie finally confirms Butch Jones’ dismissal

Started by jbcarol, November 12, 2017, 02:04:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jones' final game was a 50-17 loss at Missouri on Saturday night — a loss that gave the Vols the dubious distinction of losing their most recent game against all 13 SEC opponents.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOdEWzIUQAA5qM3.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbc_img resized">

Quote"I would like to emphasize how much I appreciate Butch and Barb Jones and their sons, Alex, Adam and Andrew," Currie's statement said. "The Jones family has poured their heart and soul into this Tennessee football program and the Knoxville community. We have been fortunate to have Coach Jones lead our program for the last five years. During that time, the program has improved tremendously in the areas of academics, discipline and community involvement.

"Unfortunately, we are not where we need to be competitively. For that reason, I have asked Coach Jones to step down as head football coach. I know Coach Jones will be successful moving forward, and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

"Coach Brady Hoke has been named interim head coach. I know Vol Nation will rally around this team and support our student-athletes as they compete the remainder of this season.

"An exhaustive search is underway for a person of the highest integrity and character with the skills and vision to propel Tennessee to championships. This search will be my sole focus, and I will be in regular contact with Chancellor Davenport. I want to make clear that we are intensely committed to hiring the best coach for Tennessee."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Peter Burns‏Verified account @PeterBurnsESPN
44m44 minutes ago

Yes, we will air the Tennessee press conference live on @SECNetwork at 5pm EST.

Also, full reaction and coverage afterwards from @mspears96 and @CoachGeneChizik.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Tennessee AD John Currie launches search, clarifies Butch Jones' firing

Quote"We're standing here right now because we haven't won enough," said Currie, less than 24 hours after the Vols allowed 33 unanswered points in a 50-17 loss at Missouri that dropped Tennessee to 4-6 overall and 0-6 in SEC games this season.

"None of us want to be in this position, but we are in this position, and now we move forward."

Brady Hoke, who has been a Coach of the Year in three different conferences, has been elevated to interim head coach duties. Tennessee plays host to LSU and Vanderbilt in its final two regular-season games.

Jones was not fired with cause, so he will receive his buyout of approximately $8.2 million, and Currie said the cost to buy out the entire staff is approximately $13 million.

Currie, who assumed athletic director duties on April 1, indicated money will not be an issue with the next football coaching hire.

"We know that we have the resources to make the right decision to select the next leader of our football program," Currie said.

"We will begin an exhaustive search to identify a coach of the highest integrity and vision to propel Tennessee to championships."