Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News on recruiting the all-important SEC defensive linemen

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2012, 12:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 18h18 hours ago

4-star DE Jeffery Simmons has another round of in-home visits on Sunday w/ 4 #SEC programs http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/12/08/ole-miss-msu-others-pushing-hard-jeffery-simmons/76987250/ ...

QuoteHATTIESBURG - The week of the Mississippi-Alabama All-Star Game could be considered "down time" for four-star Noxubee County defensive end Jeffery Simmons.

After a jam-packed week of in-home visits before and after the Tigers winning the Class 4A championship, the 6-foot-4, 275-pounder has a week away from college coaches, but the inquiries about his recruitment won't stop any time soon.

Alabama was the first of four visits for Simmons last week. Defensive line coach Bo Davis praised Simmons for his ability as an edge rusher and explained how the Crimson Tide could benefit from his effectiveness at stopping the run.

"It was great. He came in and was telling me about the opportunity I do have," Simmons said. "Coming in, I could have a starting position and my job would be to keep it."

Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Southern Miss also visited Simmons in Macon on a busy Sunday prior to his departure for Hattiesburg. Both SEC programs relayed a similar message that they've stayed firm on throughout Simmons' recruitment: Come in and make an immediate impact.

"Everybody wants to tell me the opportunities I have because of my size," he said. "Coming out of high school, I have the size of an SEC player already. (MSU defensive line) Coach (David) Turner was telling me he really needs a defensive end. They really haven't had it since Benardrick (McKinney) and them left. He really needs me to come in and start playing. Coach Barney (Farrar) came in from Ole Miss and told me the same thing. They really want me and really need me."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 11m11 minutes ago

Top-100 DT swaps Auburn for FSU in top three http://trib.al/fsZOZL2

QuoteBradenton, Fla. — Shavar Manuel, a 4-star defensive tackle, announced a new top three Wednesday.

Back in July, the top-100 prospect from Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy was favoring three SEC schools and called himself an "SEC guy."

One of those schools no longer has a shot ... "Florida State, the Gators and LSU, no leader..."

Auburn was the third SEC school previously had in the mix, but the loss of Will Muschamp and the Tigers' subpar season allowed FSU to move up.

Manuel official visited LSU on Oct. 17, and he'll take trips to Florida and Florida State in January.

LSU: "Coach O (Ed Orgeron) and coach (Les) Miles are great people, guys I could see myself playing for. I was glad to see coach Miles stay at LSU."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

'16 247 3-star and South Oak Cliff DE Marvin Terry gave a verbal to Mizzou.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 14m14 minutes ago

Florida lands commitment from 4-star defensive end http://trib.al/HQsLdkZ

QuoteLess than a week after de-committing from South Carolina, 4-star defensive end Jordan Smith committed to Florida at the conclusion of his official visit with the Gators.

The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder from Lithonia (Ga.) chose Florida over Tennessee and will enroll early at UF in January.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 12h12 hours ago

Louisiana DT decommits from Tennessee, has several other SEC offers http://trib.al/DdAcNCQ

QuoteD'Andre Christmas-Giles has decommitted from Tennessee.

Christmas-Giles, a 3-star prospect from St. Augustine High School in New Orleans, picked up an offer from LSU this week. Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas and Texas A&M also offered the New Orleans defensive tackle...

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 7m7 minutes ago

#Clemson gets a commitment from 5-star DT Dexter Lawrence. Huge pick-up. He was unstoppable at @TheOpening & am told has been well-coached.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 2m2 minutes ago

#STRecruiting:  DE Sadarius Hutcherson of Huntingdon, TN just committed to USC a few minutes ago.  Second commitment of day for USC.

jbcarol

Patience: Defensive end that was grayshirted by Alabama officially signs with Crimson Tide

QuoteChristian Bell originally committed to Alabama back in April of 2014.

Bell, a 3-star defensive end from Hoover (Ala.) High School was expected to be a part of the 2015 signing class and Alabama asked him to grayshirt before last year's National Signing Day. Bell announced on Twitter that he has officially signed his national letter of intent. He will begin classes in January.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 5h5 hours ago

3-star DE backs off commitment to Florida http://trib.al/r2FmcrU

QuoteDefensive end JaQuan Bailey backed off his pledge to Florida, announcing his decision via Twitter. The 3-star recruit from Jacksonville (Fla.) Raines: "I am officially de-committed from the University of Florida," Bailey wrote in a Twitter post that has since been deleted. "After talking with my family we have decided to open back up my recruiting process."

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 2h2 hours ago

Zach Abolverdi Retweeted Godspeed

#Gators DE commit Antonneous Clayton 

Godspeed@antonneousc

I dont know why ppl worried about me decomitting lol im a gator at heart plus im not worried about depth or competition tbh thebest goneplay (sic)

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 5h5 hours ago

Another 3-star DE backs off pledge to #Gators
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/another-3-star-de-backs-off-pledge-to-gators ...

QuoteEric Mitchell of Miami (Fla.) Central announced his decision on Twitter, saying the move was made so "I can open my recruitment and weigh my options out." The 6-foot-1, 221-pound Mitchell plans to visit Central Florida, Colorado and Louisville in January.

Like Wednesday's de-commitment — 3-star defensive end JaQuan Bailey — Mitchell has been expected to back off his pledge for some time.

jbcarol

Chuck Kingsbury ‏@Kingsbury_AJC 1m1 minute ago

Antwuan Jackson has committed to Auburn.

four-star Cedar Grove Saints defensive tackle

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 12m12 minutes ago

Mississippi State picks up its first 4-star commit in 2016 from Tennessee DE Emmit Gooden http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/12/17/4-star-de-emmit-gooden-commits-mississippi-state/77498936/ ...

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 19h19 hours ago

SportsTalk Retweeted Coach Warren VP

#STRecruiting:  USC offered DL D'Andre Christmas-Giles of New Orleans.  He just decommitted from Tennessee.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 31m31 minutes ago

Highly touted SEC DT target doesn't know why it took so long for LSU to offer http://trib.al/BQnZTBu

QuoteFour months ago, D'Andre Christmas-Giles held only one SEC offer.

Today, that number has ballooned to seven.

Overall, the St. Augustine (New Orleans) High School 3-star defensive tackle boasts 30 offers, and those from the SEC have piled in at a rapid pace over the past few weeks.

"It meant a lot," Christmas-Giles said of the LSU offer, "but I didn't know why they came after most schools when I'm right down the street from LSU.

Christmas-Giles has picked up offers from South Carolina, LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Mississippi State in recent weeks.

jbcarol

McTelvin Agim Retweeted
Bret Bielema ‏@BretBielema Dec 17

Happy to have 1 of Arkansas' most decorated PSAs join us. Truly #Uncommon man & story! #WoooPig @So_Splash

http://bit.ly/1OzrYsx

McTelvin Agim ‏@So_Splash 40m40 minutes ago

Being able to practice right now is a true blessing. Every moment matters.

jbcarol

D.Christmas-Giles ‏@_DChristmas 19h19 hours ago

Top 5 January 1st

NOLA St. A DT

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats Dec 18

ICYMI: 3-star pass rusher DeMarco Artis said last night that he's committed to UK for the class of 2017 http://bit.ly/1QRhLMN

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 8h8 hours ago

SportsTalk Retweeted 1%

#STRecruiting:  DE Mykelle McDaniel of Loganville, GA was offered by Maryland. Favored USC under previous staff. 

jbcarol

3-star '16 Miami Central WDE Keir Thomas gave a verbal to SC.

jbcarol

'17 Stone Mountain 3-star SDE Aaron Sterling gave a verbal to Bama.

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio  2h2 hours ago
UK Football sees top DT recruit Kobe Smith decommit tonight: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/kobe-smith-decommits-from-kentucky/ ...

QuoteThe 6'3″, 360 lb 2016 defensive tackle planned on enrolling early at UK...

Steef

jbcarol

Tom VanHaaren Verified account
‏@TomVH

No. 1 Rashan Gary said Michigan, Ole Miss, Auburn, Clemson, LSU, USC, Georgia the top schools still in consideration. Florida FSU outside

jbcarol

D.Christmas-Giles ‏@_DChristmas 2h2 hours ago

Top 5 🤔

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 15h15 hours ago

#STRecruiting:  DE Mykelle McDaniel of Loganville, GA has set an official visit to USC for January 29th. USC #1 with him ahead of Florida.

jbcarol

Recently hired Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele will inherit a bevy of talented defensive lineman in this year's recruiting cycle, including the likes of four-star defensive tackle commit Antwuan Jackson.

Quote"I just can't wait to meet him and play for him," Jackson told SEC Country. "I know he's a great guy and a great coach. That's all I know right now."

The 6-foot-2, 305-pound senior from Cedar Grove High School (Ellenwood, Ga.) is part of a decorated class that is currently ranked No. 8 in the country, per 247Sports.com. And while Jackson is not actively recruiting players this week in San Antonio, there is one prospect, in particular, he'd like to join him and Steele — the top-rated prospect in Georgia.

"I like Derrick (Brown)," Jackson said. "He's a great defensive tackle. I'd like to have him. It'd be great to add him. The people there are already doing great. It'd be a great defensive line."

Currently, the Tigers have secured verbal commitments from Jackson, five-star defensive (sic) Marlon Davidson and four-star defensive end Paul James and three other three-star prospects.

jbcarol

Jonathan Kongbo III ‏@King_Kongbo 15h15 hours ago

💭

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 14h14 hours ago

Patrick Brown Retweeted Jonathan Kongbo III

Five-star junior college defensive end decommits from Tennessee, says he'll still consider #Vols.

Kongbo's decommitment isn't good for Tennessee, but it's not totally surprising either.

jbcarol

Emmit Gooden threw Mississippi State a real curveball on Wednesday morning.

QuoteGooden, a 4-star defensive end commit out of Haywood High School (Brownsville, Tenn.), announced via Twitter that he'll be enrolling at Holmes Community College in Mississippi. That decision would likely delay his ability to play for a Division I program until at least the 2018 season.

"It's official I will be enroll at Holmes Community College 🐶 Minor Setback 4 A Major Comeback," Gooden tweeted.

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 4h4 hours ago

Courtney Cronin Retweeted TheRealEmmitG

Mississippi State commit Emmit Gooden is headed to Holmes 

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jonathan Kongbo gets an offer from Florida.

QuoteFour-star defensive end, who de-committed from Tennessee this week, was offered by UF on Thursday. Kongo is ranked the No. 1 overall junior college prospect in the 247Sports Composite.

The Gators will push to get the final official visit from Kongo, a 6-foot-6, 264-pounder from Arizona Western junior college.

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com ‏@gogamecocks 4h4 hours ago

South Carolina confirms DE Keir Thomas of Miami as midyear signee. Five high-schoolers for USC as early enrollees.

3-star from Miami Central

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 06, 2016, 12:33:00 pm

💭

Five-star junior college defensive end decommits from Tennessee, says he'll still consider #Vols.

Kongbo's decommitment isn't good for Tennessee, but it's not totally surprising either.

Jonathan Kongbo III
‏@King_Kongbo
Alabama visit set for the 22nd 🐘🔴⚪

jbcarol

ScoutBrianDohn ‏@BrianDohnScout Jan 12 New Jersey, USA

Stock report on nation's No. 1 player Rashan Gary as he readies for #USC visit http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1631652-rashan-gary-big-ten-sec-acc-or-pac-12 ...

QuoteThe nation's No. 1 player, Paramus (N.J.) Catholic defensive tackle prospect Rashan Gary, will make his fourth official visit this weekend when he and his mom travel to USC, and LSU, Clemson and Alabama are each in the mix for his fifth official visit.

He already made trips to Michigan, Auburn and Mississippi, but his recruitment may not be over after this fifth official visit.

jbcarol

Shea Dixon ‏@Sheadixon 2h2 hours ago

5-star DT Rashard Lawrence says he will announce his decision on Jan. 22. LSU vs Ohio State. He visits #LSU this weekend.

jbcarol

💭

Jonathan Kongbo III ‏@King_Kongbo  3h3 hours ago
Top 8 💭

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 31m31 minutes ago

DT Raekwon Davis flips commitment from Alabama to Mississippi State http://ow.ly/XblPi

QuoteRaekwon Davis didn't leave Starkville without flipping his commitment from Alabama to Mississippi State, a source has confirmed to AL.com.

The 6-foot-6, 327-pound Davis had been committed to Alabama since the summer of 2014, but took an official visit to Mississippi State and committed there.

4-star from Meridian

jbcarol

Shea Dixon ‏@Sheadixon 40m40 minutes ago

Craziness surrounding Raekwon Davis flip to State. He RT'd news of him flipping, even a Dan Mullen tweet. Now he says he hasn't decommitted.

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Keith247Sports 7m7 minutes ago

Alabama and Mississippi State should petition the NCAA to see if Raekwon Davis can play for both teams. He's quite good.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 7m7 minutes ago

Raekwon Davis is committed to Mississippi State, he just told me. Everyone can relax. Nothing new to report. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2016/01/17/alabama-commit-flips-mississippi-state/78931928/ ...

BamaOnline ‏@BamaOnline247 21m21 minutes ago

Top100 DT Raekwon Davis says he's still committed to #Bama http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Top100-DT-Raekwon-Davis-says-hes-still-committed-to-Bama-42902312 ... via @247Sports

jbcarol

Paul Jones ‏@PJ247Sports 4h4 hours ago

For those needing more confirmation, @Raekwondavis_99 also has MSU commit on his twitter profile #unneededdrama

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 4h4 hours ago

TO CLARIFY: Myself, others were told that Raekwon Davis' phone may have been compromised. THAT'S IT. Nothing said about the flip. CALM DOWN.

John Garcia, Jr. ‏@JohnGarcia_Jr 2h2 hours ago
Just got off the phone w/Raekwon Davis. He says hes committed to #Alabama and not #MissSt right now. @ScoutSteveR.

Expect Davis to make a public statement, maybe even a video statement, soon. This is quite bizzare.

Raekwon Davis Retweeted
AJ Brown ‏@Brown1arthur 4h4 hours ago Tuscaloosa, AL

Raekwon out here wilding 😂 @Raekwondavis_99

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 9h9 hours ago

If you're in any way confused about what happened with Raekwon Davis on Sunday, @CourtneyRCronin fills you in. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2016/01/17/alabama-commit-flips-mississippi-state/78931928/ ...

QuoteRaekwon Davis' Twitter bio on Sunday indicated he was committed to Alabama, changed to Mississippi State and then back to Alabama. If that sounds confusing, then trust that you're not alone.

Which school Davis, a Meridian defensive tackle and Dandy Dozen selection, is actually committed to remains a matter of some debate, and supplied plenty of drama coming out of the first official visit weekend in January.

Shortly before noon on Sunday, multiple sources confirmed to The Clarion-Ledger that the 6-foot-7.5, 318-pounder had flipped his commitment from Alabama to Mississippi State during his official visit in Starkville. Davis initially committed to the Crimson Tide prior to the start of his junior season but has remained open throughout the recruiting process.

Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen tweeted "#CLANGA #STATEsquad16," which he has tweeted in the past coinciding with commitments the Bulldogs have added to their 2016 class. MSU defensive line coach David Turner also tweeted "#Clanga" around the same time. Davis gave quotes to Mississippi State's Scout and 247Sports.com sites indicating he was, in fact, committed to the Bulldogs.

After news of his flip broke, multiple reports surfaced saying Davis had not decommitted and was still an Alabama pledge. Davis, via his Twitter account, told The Clarion-Ledger that information was false and he had indeed flipped to Mississippi State. He later changed his Twitter bio to "Committed to MSU."

But things got messy again later in the afternoon. Several Alabama-based reporters Tweeted that they had spoken with Davis over the phone and he denied flipping to Mississippi State and was still committed to Alabama. When The Clarion-Ledger spoke with Davis on the phone after the new information emerged, the Dandy Dozen selection said he was committed to the Crimson Tide and that his Twitter account had been hacked. He later changed his Twitter bio back to "Committed to Bama."

Later Sunday evening, a source close to the situation said Davis is committed to Mississippi State despite the conflicting reports that surfaced on Sunday.

So what does it all mean? Alabama and Mississippi State likely both believe Davis is still committed to their respective programs.

Davis is ranked as the sixth best player in Mississippi, the nation's No. 6 defensive tackle.

https://twitter.com/Raekwondavis_99/status/688203944154120193

Top 100 player in our nation

jbcarol

Terrell Hall ‏@_TrillTrell_ 11h11 hours ago New Carrollton, MD

🐢 vs. 🐘

Chris Kirschner ‏@ChrisK_AJC 9h9 hours ago

Chris Kirschner Retweeted Terrell Hall

This tweet does not mean 5-star DE Terrell Hall is down to Maryland and Alabama, per Hall himself.

Terrell Hall Retweeted
Minkah Fitzpatrick ‏@minkfitz_21 8h8 hours ago

@_TrillTrell_ 🙇🏽🙇🏽come do that wit me

jbcarol

Sunday, four-star defensive tackle Raekwon Davis announced he had flipped his commitment from Alabama to Mississippi State. As of Monday, his commitment remains unclear.

QuoteESPN, Scout and 247Sports list Davis as a Mississippi State commit, while Rivals lists him as committed to Alabama.

On Monday, Davis deleted the 'Committed to Bama," portion of his Twitter bio, and where things stand right now remain unknown. Davis did not respond to SEC Country's requests for comment on Monday.

It's very likely that both Mississippi State and Alabama believe he's committed to their respective program. As of now, Davis is expected to take an official visit to Florida State this weekend and Alabama on Jan. 29. It remains to be seen whether or not either visit will actually take place.

Before supposedly de-committing from Alabama, Davis was/is the Crimson Tide's longest-tenured commit, having committed back in August of 2014.

Whichever school Davis does decide to pick on National Signing Day, it's very likely that he will enroll in junior college.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  8h8 hours ago
Raekwon Davis will visit Alabama this weekend http://sec.news/1U9tzJX

Quotehat may be the most interesting confusing, interesting story this year may get clearer after this weekend.

Raekwon Davis, the four-star defensive tackle from Meridian (Miss.) High School who may be committed to both Alabama and Mississippi State, will take an official visit to Alabama this weekend, according to John Garcia of Scout.com. Davis was expected to be at Florida State this weekend, and he had previously told SEC Country that he would visit Alabama on Jan. 29.

He can visit State and Bama before enrolling in Junior College.

jbcarol

💭

Tennessee sent a pair of coaches to visit Jonathan Kongbo on Tuesday

The Vols were represented by new defensive coordinator Bob Shoop and defensive line coach Steve Stripling. The two are both integral in the recruitment of Kongbo, a four-star defensive end from Arizona Western Junior College