Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why refuse a NIT bid?

Started by vandybuff, March 05, 2008, 07:46:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

reddogjcss

Hope we make the NCAA; but if we don't than play the NIT. We need SEC calibur recruits!!!!!! & that will give us more a chance to be seen a little more!!!!

roundball

Everyone is saying these guys need to get their diplomas..did it occur to anyone that their probably not even going to graduate?!

chog68

Like it or not, we will play in the NIT. As fans, we are sick of these seniors constant failures and don't seem to care attitudes-therefore WE say send them packing if not in the NCAA.

We have a first year athletic director and first year BB coach. NO WAY does a school with those "in power" in their FIRST year on the job turn down an invitation to post season play-that would be a serious PR diaster with the NCAA. Hopefully, they will play like they are capable at home and play themselves to New York. Turning down the NIT could also be a hindrance to future recruiting as well-don't think for a minute that other coaches would not use that against us in the recruiting process.

Just my $.02 worth

jry04

Quote from: chog68 on March 06, 2008, 04:27:02 pm
Like it or not, we will play in the NIT. As fans, we are sick of these seniors constant failures and don't seem to care attitudes-therefore WE say send them packing if not in the NCAA.

We have a first year athletic director and first year BB coach. NO WAY does a school with those "in power" in their FIRST year on the job turn down an invitation to post season play-that would be a serious PR diaster with the NCAA. Hopefully, they will play like they are capable at home and play themselves to New York. Turning down the NIT could also be a hindrance to future recruiting as well-don't think for a minute that other coaches would not use that against us in the recruiting process.

Just my $.02 worth
That isn't just your opinion, you are trying to sell it as fact. You said "like it or not we will play in the NIT." That may be true, but the odds are you are wrong. I would be willing to make a bet with you that we will not be in the NIT. We will be playing in the NCAAT. As much as fans hate this team, they are a tournament team. They underachieved greatly in our eyes, so most of us don't think they should be in the NCAAT. However, the rest of the nation thinks they are dangerous and have one of the best bubble resumes.

hogsanity

Quote from: reddogjcss on March 05, 2008, 09:22:13 pm
Hope we make the NCAA; but if we don't than play the NIT. We need SEC calibur recruits!!!!!! & that will give us more a chance to be seen a little more!!!!

Yes, seen in the NIT.  I dont think SEC Calibre recruits see the NIT as something they want to play in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Modsquad24

national news says we're in with a win v.s. AU, local dumb dumb writers say no, take your pick who to believe guys im going with national media.

slopinhogs

because Wally thinks it is the nothing tournament. there will be some good sec teams there this year though. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Hot_Town_Hog

With all the excitement around March Madness, and the buzz of #1 seeds and bubble teams, how do you even have this conversation right now?

We want an NCAAT invite and a favorable seed. A win or two in the NCAAT would help this program tremendously as we try and get back to where we all want to be. 

NWAREDBUG

Were not going to the NIT, win Saturday and we are in the big dance. :razorback:

chog68

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 06, 2008, 05:00:00 pm
That isn't just your opinion, you are trying to sell it as fact. You said "like it or not we will play in the NIT." That may be true, but the odds are you are wrong. I would be willing to make a bet with you that we will not be in the NIT. We will be playing in the NCAAT. As much as fans hate this team, they are a tournament team. They underachieved greatly in our eyes, so most of us don't think they should be in the NCAAT. However, the rest of the nation thinks they are dangerous and have one of the best bubble resumes.
Point taken. I should have said that IF we don't make the NCAA, I just don't see a new coach and new athletic director telling the NCAA they won't play in their smaller and less prestigious tournament. Guys and gals the TC and those associated with the NIT are people just like you and me and they have MEMORIES just like we do.

If CP works his magic next season like I think he will, the hogs deserving maybe a 5 or 6 seed could get a 7 or worse because the commitee "remembered" the NIT snub from the year before. Too many negatives that COULD, not necessarily WOULD, come about from refusing an NIT bid have to be considered in the decision making process. This is why I beleive the hogs will play in the NIT, IF they're not dancing.

jgphillips3

We have to accept it if offered.  It made sense to turn it down with the team in the tank a few years back.  With this team, they have just been schizophrenic more than terrible.  They haven't really sunk so much as they just aren't capable of playing consistent ball.  The exposure is minimal, but if we could make it to NY, then we would get some reasonable exposure.  All that said, I believe a win over Auburn and one SEC tournament win makes us a definite NCAA team. 

hogman64

Quote from: Hogginitall on March 05, 2008, 12:35:49 pm
It was a huge mistake for Heath to do what he did.  To set it up where 6 guys were graduating at the same time is unacceptable.  Hopefully, Pelphrey can get it staggered enough to where we can sign 2-3 guys each year, based on team needs, rather than wholesale changes.

Too bad none of them were good enough to leave early , it is definitly rare for a team to have 6 seniors.........

vandybuff

Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on March 07, 2008, 10:31:17 am
Yes, were Arkansas Basketball we don't expect to play in the NIT.  Even in down years, we expect to be in the NCAA.
In that there are 200-plus teams in division one basketball, it is still an honor to be invited to post season.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

31to6

Quote from: TNPIG on March 05, 2008, 07:58:22 am
This isn't a group of guys that are young and just need some more games to get the experience. This is a group of experienced guys that play when they feel like it and are the definition of underachievers. They need to receive their diplomas ASAP and be told buh bye!
Wrong.

Washington needs more tourney experience. Next year's inside game rests on his shoulders.

Welsh, Britt, Rakestraw, Beverly will all be back next year and all can use more tourney play. NCAAT success is ALL ABOUT having an experienced backcourt and in next years NCAAT we want our guards to have some tourney seasoning even if it is just the NIT.

We need to go to the NIT if we miss the big dance. And win it.