Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eric Smiley names Ole Miss as favorite (article)

Started by Hoggy Bear, March 04, 2008, 01:15:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Is that the kid that was in Helena and moved back to Washington?

Hoggy Bear

March 04, 2008, 01:20:31 pm #2 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:26:59 pm by Hoggy Bear
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 04, 2008, 01:19:50 pm
Is that the kid that was in Helena and moved back to Washington?

yes...although from that article, it sounds like he is still in Helena-West Helena.

kobe24

yep i talk to him last nite and  thats wut he said but i told him to think about it a lil bit and wait until u see the hill cause you will be blown away

returntoglory

man we need to load up in dl's. i would love to land this one.

kclvr

After this short year for BP to recruit I would have thought he would be making a big splash already for the 09 class. I hate to see an instate kid name MS as his favorite this early on especially being a top 100 player on rivals site.  I thought by name alone he would have 5 or 6 commits all ready. I hope Winston stays true.

saywhat?

Quote from: kclvr on March 04, 2008, 01:33:15 pm
After this short year for BP to recruit I would have thought he would be making a big splash already for the 09 class. I hate to see an instate kid name MS as his favorite this early on especially being a top 100 player on rivals site.  I thought by name alone he would have 5 or 6 commits all ready. I hope Winston stays true.

Odds are Smiley won't stay in the top 100 when they have the next update.  I would bet Winston moves in though.

AnthroHog

March 04, 2008, 01:46:03 pm #7 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:07:12 pm by AnthroHog
I'm excited about this.  I think it greatly improves our choices that he's listed Ole Miss as his favorite as opposed to a team from the Pac-10.  I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he'd be going back to the Pac-10 area.  I can't wait to see what his impressions of Arkansas are after Junior Day.

yraciv

returntoglory

Quote from: saywhat? on March 04, 2008, 01:40:05 pm
Odds are Smiley won't stay in the top 100 when they have the next update.  I would bet Winston moves in though.

what do you base this statement on? he having ole miss as a favorite? or legit information?

The Boar War

You have to think that these kids in West Helena are closer to Ole Miss than Arkansas.  They may have never been to Fayetteville.

Houston has probably had contact with Smiley before this year.  Petrino may not have met the kid yet.

Ole Miss has already had it's junior day.  Arkansas hasn't.

There is a lot of time left.  I'm not worried because Ole Miss has an early lead.  Its a marathon and we all know that HDN sucks at clock management.

PurpleHog

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on March 04, 2008, 03:31:16 pm
Tracy Rocker is a bum.

Wow. You're avg. 1.4 smites per post. Dude, as a troll, you're unrivaled.

(also, I gave you a +1.....just to screw with your avg)

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The Boar War on March 04, 2008, 03:38:28 pm
You have to think that these kids in West Helena are closer to Ole Miss than Arkansas.  They may have never been to Fayetteville.

Houston has probably had contact with Smiley before this year.  Petrino may not have met the kid yet.

Ole Miss has already had it's junior day.  Arkansas hasn't.

There is a lot of time left.  I'm not worried because Ole Miss has an early lead.  Its a marathon and we all know that HDN sucks at clock management.

Yep, we're still in the first mile of a 26-mile race.  '09 recruiting has barely started.  Think of all the kids over the past several years that had UA as their favorite 11 months before signing day.  Many of them didn't even have us on their radar by end of that summer.  It's just how recruiting is.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

SpareRib

Helena is less than 90 miles from Oxford.  That part of the Arkansas delta is culturally identical to their neighbors across the river.  Ole Miss will naturally be quick out of the gate, but the kid hasn't been to Fayetteburg yet.  If he was impressed with their facilities, wait til he sees ours.

Go Hogs! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

DCimport

is this the same guy that said that Hall was an Ole Miss lean?

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

farmhawg

Tracy Rocker is a bum.
You are an idiot.

He was one of the few coaches that I thought did a good job.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HedgeDweller

Quote from: SpareRib on March 04, 2008, 03:51:59 pm
Helena is less than 90 miles from Oxford.  That part of the Arkansas delta is culturally identical to their neighbors across the river.  Ole Miss will naturally be quick out of the gate, but the kid hasn't been to Fayetteburg yet.  If he was impressed with their facilities, wait til he sees ours.

Go Hogs! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Ole Miss is the closest, but Mississippi State and even Alabama and Vandy are closer than Fayetteville. (Bama and Vandy not enough closer to make much difference though)

Hawgvillain

Quote from: DCimport on March 04, 2008, 04:27:07 pm
is this the same guy that said that Hall was an Ole Miss lean?
Yes.  If I know one thing it is that Yancy Porter defines the homer sports writer.  He also said that Kodi Burns was an Ole Miss lean two years ago when the Rebs were barely on Burn's radar.

I'm not too concerned about Ole Miss yet.  Eric lives in a spot where Vandy, AR, Ole Miss, Miss. St., AL, and even LSU are all a reasonable day drive away.  If he truly wants to stay in the south, I'm a lot more worried about Saban and Miles than Houston.  That being said, Rocker is a good coach and one of the guys that I would have liked to keep from that staff.  We put several D-Lineman in the NFL under the old regime.  I really hope this kid will take his time and decide where he fits best - which it sounds like he will.  But, I'm not extremely confident since he didn't grow up a Razorback...

HOGINTENNESSEE

March 04, 2008, 05:37:15 pm #20 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 05:45:37 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: kobe24 on March 04, 2008, 01:23:55 pm
yep i talk to him last nite and  thats wut he said but i told him to think about it a lil bit and wait until u see the hill cause you will be blown away

+1
Kobe24 how have you ever received negative karma points?

Hawgvillain

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 04, 2008, 05:37:15 pm
+1
Kobe24 how have you ever received negative karma points?

My guess, some folks don't believe that he really knows these kids.  I'm inclined to think otherwise...

FBPLAYER65

Quote from: farmhawg on March 04, 2008, 04:47:45 pm
You are an idiot.

He was one of the few coaches that I thought did a good job.
Rocker was a lousy recruiter. There is a reason no one wants him but Nutt. Not a SEC caliber coach.

farmhawg

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on March 04, 2008, 06:04:02 pm
Rocker was a lousy recruiter. There is a reason no one wants him but Nutt. Not a SEC caliber coach.
not every coach recruits! Our d-line has been good since he has been here. Not the best because of the players we recruited but good.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

kclvr

On MS site they claim he has given them a verbal pledge.

The Realist

Yancy Porter claims every recruit that visits gives tells them they are Ole Miss leans
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

bcshog

Thanks Frank White for letting Nutter go to an SEC West school.  I know HDN wasn't much of a recruiter when he was here, but us letting him go lit a fire under his a$$.   

Desperate Hog

As much as we all wanted Nutt to leave and are happy to have Petrino there is something to be said for the wayyNutt gets his players (or some of them at least) to buy into his family atmosphere.  Nutt does a good job selling his "aw shucks, we just want you to be part of our big happy family and I'll take care of you, son" approach.  Petrino is much more business like and some kids prefer one style and others prefer another.  Hopefully winning and better coaching will win over kids more than Nutt's good ole boy style. 
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

HedgeDweller

Quote from: bcshog on March 05, 2008, 01:01:57 am
Thanks Frank White for letting Nutter go to an SEC West school.  I know HDN wasn't much of a recruiter when he was here, but us letting him go lit a fire under his a$$.   

I didn't know dead ex-govenors still had that much influence...   :D

HedgeDweller

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 05, 2008, 09:36:42 am
In the SEC, position coaches MUST be strong recruiters. 

If you (as a position coach) consistently put a good product on the field and move players to the NFL, the recruiting sure is a lot easier.  You don't have to be nearly as much a 'salesman'.

saywhat?

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on March 05, 2008, 03:14:13 am
Ole Miss appears to be outworking Arkansas on Eric Smiley. 

I'm not sure they've even offered.  It's been said that he hasn't.  To me, and I know you can't see that much on those films, but I think he's overrated on Rivals being in the top 100 and I think that will change with the next update.  I wasn't wowed by his tape like most of the top players in the country.  It's not like he's being pursued by other big schools like Winston either.  Not saying I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat but maybe he's not as high on the board as we want to think.  JMO.

Jdub

Have no fear, Botkin will find 1 or 2 as good or better down in Houston.

:razorback:

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: saywhat? on March 05, 2008, 10:32:21 am
I'm not sure they've even offered.  It's been said that he hasn't.  To me, and I know you can't see that much on those films, but I think he's overrated on Rivals being in the top 100 and I think that will change with the next update.  I wasn't wowed by his tape like most of the top players in the country.  It's not like he's being pursued by other big schools like Winston either.  Not saying I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat but maybe he's not as high on the board as we want to think.  JMO.

Eric Smiley has played football one year. You are watching a guy on film who is nothing but potential.  He hasn't learned much about technique and has not been in a weight room.  There also is a strong rumor that USC just offered.  Is that big enough for you? 

jackflash

Just because he leaning there does not mean it where he will go.  Way to early for that. BP will not give up without a fight.

farmhawg

Tracy Rocker is a bum.
Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 05, 2008, 09:36:42 am
In the SEC, position coaches MUST be strong recruiters. 

So are you agreeing with fbplayer65 that Rocker is a bum?

I still think that Rocker was a good coach even if he is not a great recruiter. We have heard from players that they want to play for him.
From theflyinghog

Wild Bill Hog

If a kid's making visits, he is undecided.  The only thing that concerns me is Eastern AR has not been a hotbed of Hog recruiting, and OM is fairly close.  I still think Petrino has a good shot at getting him - a lean is not a commitment.

Tomhog™

Quote from: farmhawg on March 05, 2008, 12:43:56 pm
So are you agreeing with fbplayer65 that Rocker is a bum?

I still think that Rocker was a good coach even if he is not a great recruiter. We have heard from players that they want to play for him.

You are reading way to much into my post.  I do NOT think Rocker is a bum.  Though I did feel that he was not as strong a recruiter as we need.

farmhawg

Sorry if I was reading into it. I just think that some people take cheap shots at people on here when they shouldn't. I think it is great to give an opinion about a coach but to call them a bum is a little unfair. Unless it's MOTHO. LOL.
From theflyinghog

jgphillips3

Let me see.  A good prospect thinks highly of a HDN led program.  Hmmmm...seems like I heard this every year at Arkansas and unless they were a running back by the time signing day came, they mysteriously wound up elsewhere.  Not concerned in the least.

OKhogfan1959

Long time before signing day. It is just the beginning of the recruiting process. Let him visit Arkansas and if he isn't equally impressed then you can worry if you want. I am not worried. If Petrino and co want him then they will let him know.

Nutt isn't going to sign Arkansas kids unless they are just stupid!

saywhat?

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on March 05, 2008, 12:32:14 pm
Eric Smiley has played football one year. You are watching a guy on film who is nothing but potential.  He hasn't learned much about technique and has not been in a weight room.  There also is a strong rumor that USC just offered.  Is that big enough for you? 

Rumor he's going to get offered.  He has yet to be offered.  If he does great for him.  I find it odd he's yet to receive an offer when he is the highest rated player on the team and DL is an issue for the Hogs.  Maybe he'll get his offer this weekend.  Just calling it like I see it.