Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan to LSU

Started by Coondog Hog, March 02, 2008, 11:58:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coondog Hog

Has anyone else heard buzz about this possibly happining?
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

hogman64

You have to be kidding.

hawgsav1

He made some comment that he didn't like LSU.  I hope not.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hogman1974

I hope not.  Old or not, we all know how well his teams play for him.

booogaga

i would vomit all over myself if this happened.
GO HOGS!

Adam Stokes

Nolan is 66, obviously not too old to coach but not exactly young either.  I sure hope he doesn't come back to the SEC, I was thinking maybe he could go somewhere in the Big 12, he would school teams there and then we wouldn't have to go against him.  It isn't like Nutt going to Ole Miss, we can school him any day of the week, but Nolan the games would be very crazy and I think he has more to prove against the university in his own mind than Nutt does.  It will be interesting to see nonetheless.

The Boar War

I don't think LSU can afford to make this kind of hire.  Nolan is a great but he has been out of the college game for a while now.  If he wants to get back into the college ball I see him starting off at a mid major.

Boarcephus

Quote from: The Boar War on March 03, 2008, 08:05:33 am
I don't think LSU can afford to make this kind of hire.  Nolan is a great but he has been out of the college game for a while now.  If he wants to get back into the college ball I see him starting off at a mid major.

Not so sure.  Ticket sales have slumped down there and Nolan is a big name plus there's a ton of talent down there just dying to play for LSU so Nolan could "select" like he wanted to do up here.

His one major drawback....you can hire him but you can't fire him.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

wooo

how can he coach LSU AND Arkansas State?

hog.goblin

Quote from: wooo on March 03, 2008, 08:55:12 am
how can he coach LSU AND Arkansas State?

I don't believe Arkansas St was ever in contention for Nolan.  Just wishful thinking.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 03, 2008, 09:10:02 am
I don't believe Arkansas St was ever in contention for Nolan.  Just wishful thinking.

I think that hinges on whether or not Nolan has any other viable offers.   There is a possibility ASU is the only offer he has.  This will be interesting to follow.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

labb

Nolan has too much baggage hanging on him to ever coach at a major D-1 university again..Best chance he had was at Texas El Paso. You guys got short memories, those that control the $ don't.

The Boar War

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 03, 2008, 08:53:14 am
Not so sure.  Ticket sales have slumped down there and Nolan is a big name plus there's a ton of talent down there just dying to play for LSU so Nolan could "select" like he wanted to do up here.

With all the talent down there I'm not sure they can take a chance like this.  A misstep at this point in their history (horrible but two years removed from the final four) could send them in a spiral that could take years to get out of.

Nolan is a proven commodity but the game is called differently today.

hog.goblin

Quote from: The Boar War on March 03, 2008, 09:27:19 am

So true, but then it was basically Nolan's success that brought about the hand check rule.  Ahh, the good ole days.  I wish we could have a do over.

DeltaBoy

Where ever Nolan winds up lots of other teams will be Sorry!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

zorbacks06

Quote from: labb on March 03, 2008, 09:26:03 am
Nolan has too much baggage hanging on him to ever coach at a major D-1 university again..Best chance he had was at Texas El Paso. You guys got short memories, those that control the $ don't.

Nolan got railroaded by JFB. The baggage that Nolan carries includes a National Championship , and a few final fours. Nolan is just a proud man who speaks his mind, and defends his name. I'd love to see him coaching again.

HawgAdvocate

Won't happen...just like when ClayCoHog claimed Nolan was going to Jonesboro.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hog.goblin

Quote from: labb on March 03, 2008, 09:26:03 am

Some of that baggage was lifted when we fired Stan.  People began to see Frank for what he is.  I don't think it means Nolan would ever get a shot at a school with basketball tradition as it's history...but certainly schools like USCe, Georgia, LSU, Cincinnati, etc., would have to consider it.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Coondog Hog on March 02, 2008, 11:58:03 pm
Has anyone else heard buzz about this possibly happining?

There is a zero percent chance that Nolan Richardson will be hired as LSU's next basketball coach. Zero.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff anyway? And furthermore, do you not use any common sense before posting something like this on a message board.

Nolan was a great coach for Arkansas. No question. However, LSU is not going to hire a 66 year old coach to run their men's basketball program. 

BrooklynRoss

I for one, definitely do not use any common sense whatsoever when posting to this or any other message board, fyi.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

The Boar War

Quote from: Tammany Tom on March 03, 2008, 10:55:41 am
There is a zero percent chance that Nolan Richardson will be hired as LSU's next basketball coach. Zero.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff anyway? And furthermore, do you not use any common sense before posting something like this on a message board.

Nolan was a great coach for Arkansas. No question. However, LSU is not going to hire a 66 year old coach to run their men's basketball program. 

He didn't say "Nolan is going to LSU" or even "Nolan is interested in LSU".  I agree with you that Nolan won't be the next coach at LSU but the guy was just asking a question.  I'm sure LSU boards never speculate or ask questions.

hog.goblin

I agree...very unlikely.  But it worked pretty well for Oklahoma St when they hired an older-than-he-is 54 year old with lots of baggage.  Bobby Knight put Texas Tech on the map at the tender age of 61.

My point being I think Nolan's age has less to do with it than his baggage.  Nolan looks to be in pretty good shape.

Personally I never think he coaches college basketball again, but I believe it's because he continues to turn down offers from small schools.

HairyHog

They deserve each other.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: The Boar War on March 03, 2008, 03:05:01 pm
He didn't say "Nolan is going to LSU" or even "Nolan is interested in LSU".  I agree with you that Nolan won't be the next coach at LSU but the guy was just asking a question.  I'm sure LSU boards never speculate or ask questions.

Point well taken.

Quote from: HairyHog on March 03, 2008, 04:55:19 pm
They deserve each other.

What Nolan deserves is some major respect for his accomplishments. Nolan was a great, great coach for Arkansas.

I know he said some things that were not well received by the fan base, but he was one great coach for you guys. He did bring you your national championship in basketball and your 2 SEC Championships.

Corkscrew Johnson

Nolan was a huge fan of Dale Brown

Boarcephus

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 03, 2008, 07:11:36 pm
Nolan was a huge fan of Dale Brown

The way Dale Brown handled the last night in Barnhill after a defeat was one of the greatest, classiest acts I've ever witnessed.  I'm a Dale Brown fan forever after that.

HatfieldHawg

Nolan gets jealous of football coaches.  He probably wouldnt like working with Les Miles since he is no doubt the big man on campus.  I think Miles would veto that hire. 

Atreyu

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 03, 2008, 03:08:02 pm
I agree...very unlikely.  But it worked pretty well for Oklahoma St when they hired an older-than-he-is 54 year old with lots of baggage.  Bobby Knight put Texas Tech on the map at the tender age of 61.

My point being I think Nolan's age has less to do with it than his baggage.  Nolan looks to be in pretty good shape.

Personally I never think he coaches college basketball again, but I believe it's because he continues to turn down offers from small schools.

Bobby Knight put Texas Tech on the map because he was Bobby Knight, not because of his team's performance.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

slopinhogs

from what i saw on channel 8 tonight out of Jonesboro Nolan would be happy to be at ASU. said he just wanted backminto coaching .money was not a problem he said.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hog.goblin

Quote from: Atreyu on March 03, 2008, 08:36:55 pm
Bobby Knight put Texas Tech on the map because he was Bobby Knight, not because of his team's performance.

??? What world do you live in.  Texas Tech had been to 4 NCAATs from 1977 - 1996.  Under Knight they have been 4 times in 6 years.  I would call that performance.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 03, 2008, 08:53:14 am

Bingo.  You might not be able to fire him, but you won't need to.  At LSU he'd win a NC in four years and at 70 he will retire.  I love Pel, but we will be suffering the effects of the likes of White and Broyles for some time.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The Boar War on March 03, 2008, 09:27:19 am
With all the talent down there I'm not sure they can take a chance like this.  A misstep at this point in their history (horrible but two years removed from the final four) could send them in a spiral that could take years to get out of.

The reverse of what you say is more likely, if Nolan gets hired by a basketball loaded state like LA.

Hoggish1

Tom, the real question is how will you feel if they hire Nolan?  Stop speculating on what "they" will or won't do and tell us what "you" would do.

preach33

it would give our ball team a very good rival

preach33

hey what if bama fired their guy

Nolan to Bama?????