Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overheard at the Vandy game yesterday (funny)

Started by Lando Calrissian, March 02, 2008, 03:13:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: Gigantic George on March 02, 2008, 09:12:17 pm
I agree with what he does as a coach, I played some ball in my day and coaches who were in your face and verbal got the most out of me as a player. This is something I don't believe these guys have had on the college level, for these seniors it just to late.

Yep, i agree.

Smithian

PearlHarbor

Quote from: Gigantic George on March 02, 2008, 09:12:17 pm
I agree with what he does as a coach, I played some ball in my day and coaches who were in your face and verbal got the most out of me as a player. This is something I don't believe these guys have had on the college level, for these seniors it just to late.

I think you've hit the essence of the issue. Good post.

The Realist

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on March 02, 2008, 09:05:01 pm
I don't think Neltner would be the one I'd ask accounting advice from.
He might think you have a little more equity than you actually do.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

jbcarol

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 02, 2008, 03:13:30 pm
"You guys have an uncanny ability to f*ck things up!" - John Pelphery.

Pitino's overachievers were down at halftime and Pelphrey was the only guy leaving everything on the court.  Pitino spent the whole half time just chewing Pelphrey out.  His teammates were first ashamed and then furious and went out to show Pitino and defend their captain.  Pitino started doing the coach's postgame radio show over the PA at home games.  He just crowed about that.

Pelphrey's tough.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PIGINAPOKE

Was he talkin to Racom?
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

WholeHogSmoker

lyon98

Didn't George Patton use profanity? He had a hell of a good offense.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

gettinpiggywithit

How would Stan translate Pel's statement to his players? I imagine it would go something like this:

"Guys, I can see that you are trying real hard out there.  I don't mean to upset anyone, but that wasn't exactly how we needed to execute early on in the game. Gee golly, I love you guys like my sons and I only want the best for you.  You will get it next time!"

Maybe something along those lines?
Let those who do, do. Let those who spew, spew.

farmhawg

I was happy with Pel to begin with but there may be a man crush ......no maybe not but still a great quote.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Rocktownhog

I love it! I cant wait til he gets to work with his own recruiting classes
GO HOGS!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: gettinpiggywithit on March 02, 2008, 11:37:23 pm
How would Stan translate Pel's statement to his players? I imagine it would go something like this:

"Guys, I can see that you are trying real hard out there.  I don't mean to upset anyone, but that wasn't exactly how we needed to execute early on in the game. Gee golly, I love you guys like my sons and I only want the best for you.  You will get it next time!"

LMAO, that's exactly how I would imagine it..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Tejano Jawg

I love the quote.

Do you think Pel would mind if I used it at my next client meeting?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HOG1947

March 03, 2008, 12:18:46 am #65 Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:29:34 am by HOG1947
I really hate to play the "stereotype" card and I am not being disrespectful at all but, generally speaking when someone with your "gentleness"....

Quote from: joeyself on March 02, 2008, 06:00:19 pmWe define "funny" differently, I guess.  The word I'd use is "disgraceful."JcS

goes up in a physical contest against someone with a "tude" like this...

[/quote]
What did the Auburn D Cordinator tell his player at the Arkansas game?  Its on youtube.  Pretty funny.[/quote]

people with your gentleness tend to get their ass kicked. Im just sayin'...

We stumble across the truth from time to time but
most of us pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off,
and proceed as if nothing happened.

The art of Diplomacy is being able to say "good dog" until you can find a big rock.

hogman64

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 02, 2008, 05:30:00 pm
Well I suppose that is what is so encouraging about it.

Some would take the route of acting like it never happened.

The Vandy win was a huge one over a really good team.  Some coaches would spend the next hour or so high fiving everyone.

Pelphery, on the other hand, used it as a lesson.

Nutt comes to mind.

josh_sec33

I think this says it all.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Bigmac

Quote from: gettinpiggywithit on March 02, 2008, 11:37:23 pm

I know that was tounge in cheek but I am still hearing players say to the effect the other team wanted it more. I have heard Townes and Thomas refer to this in their interviews in the last couple of weeks and I am sick and tired of it. It comes from the prior coach. You can tell it is instilled in the back of their brain that it is okay to lose and you can substantiate a poor performance by saying the other team wanted it more. If they lose I can take the "other team was better tonite" "they were hitting some tough shots and we couldn't get them to drop" route but not the "they wanted it more" crap. IT PISSES ME TO NO END!!!!!! For the love of the Almighty I hope these seniors can maintain some fire in bellies and realize that they can make some things happen in the SEC tourney as well as the Big Dance.

I will now get off my soap box.

DeltaBoy

I do believe that Coach got his point across.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tomhog™

This is why I get irritated with the posters who wish Stan was still here.  At least Pelphrey is doing everything he can to get this team motivated.  I can't wait til he gets freshman in that don't have the 3 years of bad fundamentals engrained in their heads.

hog 47

Sometimes coaches use certain words for emphasis. I hope Pel gives em Heck.

jst01

Quote from: The Realist on March 02, 2008, 08:40:04 pm
I don't really have a problem with Hunter and Ervin.  They give 100% regardless.  Both are solid players with hiccups in their game. 
Hill and Thomas....don't get me started on those wastes of talent.

Feel the same way, Thomas let his thugness get in the way and Hill never had anything. 

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: Gigantic George on March 02, 2008, 05:16:37 pm
I'm sure he is a good cusser he coached and played under Pitino and he was real good at it when he was at Kentucky. I remember Wally Hall writing about some fans upset about his language during games.
Surely Eddie Sutton didn't influence his language any either.  He's never been a foul mouthed drunk... haha,

eathill5

Quote from: MDH on March 02, 2008, 08:52:31 pm
:D

Exactly the type of things I'd ask the Vandy players ;)

I would be asking Foster how he learned to shoot.  Also Hill ought to ask Ogilvy what to do when his team gets the ball.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

HogISH™

March 03, 2008, 11:12:44 am #75 Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:16:03 am by HogISH™
Quote from: birdman05 on March 02, 2008, 04:00:40 pm
I'll do you one better. I called my buddy that's on the team after the game and I asked "So was Pel pretty pumped about the win?" He sent me a text back that said, "Nope, madest he's ever been. He said we should play like that every night but when we're on the road we're fags (sorry I know its not pc) and we play like cowards."

Also after the Alabama game he told them all to meet him in the gym the next day and don't change into your practice gear. When the team showed up he gave them all new red & white practice gear without anything on them just a number on the back and said they didn't deserve to wear anything that said Arkansas on it. He said if you want your old stuff back your gonna have to earn it.

double check w/ your friend but i was told that the team walked off the court in front of him. one of the freshmen said he did not want to walk off but did cause the entire team did. was not the last bama game but earlier in the year after back to back losses.

pel went to the locker room and used the F bomb again... said "it's about time you guys did something as a f@$# team" and gave them the day off.

was eating dinner this summer @ the bbq dump @ the corner of crossover and 45. pel was there with his wife and child eating and watching sports on tv. just across from us and he was watching a game that i would guess ment nothing to him but was cussing away at the tv...

met him at the club this summer and really like this guy...

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

NuttinItUp

jbcarol

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 03, 2008, 11:21:10 am
I like Pel even more now.

You could see that style coming through.  Even from the covers of some of the old Kentucky mags.

OKhogfan1959

Drastic times call for drastic language. Somehow this team has to find a heart? Pel is trying to tell them they play with zero heart on the road. I would think he has tried every way possible and is now about 100 degrees past being angry. We have to win tomorrow night or this might be a wasted year.

Whatever it takes at this point.

hogfanforever

Quote from: birdman05 on March 02, 2008, 04:00:40 pm
I'll do you one better. I called my buddy that's on the team after the game and I asked "So was Pel pretty pumped about the win?" He sent me a text back that said, "Nope, madest he's ever been. He said we should play like that every night but when we're on the road we're fags (sorry I know its not pc) and we play like cowards."

Also after the Alabama game he told them all to meet him in the gym the next day and don't change into your practice gear. When the team showed up he gave them all new red & white practice gear without anything on them just a number on the back and said they didn't deserve to wear anything that said Arkansas on it. He said if you want your old stuff back your gonna have to earn it.

That is awesome.
"One of these days its gonna get right and when it does I AM GOING to be scary for a lot of people"

jmingram911

I love this coach!! Now, if they would just ever listen to him and to Coach Evans.

jgphillips3

Who the heck knows what the future holds and how much Coach Pel can accomplish, but I do LOVE his attitude and desire.  There have been guys born in this State who don't have as much respect for our program as he does.  The level of accountability that he holds the players to is refreshing and has been missing from football and basketball for far too long. 

farmhawg

Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 03, 2008, 12:43:18 pm
Drastic times call for drastic language. Somehow this team has to find a heart? Pel is trying to tell them they play with zero heart on the road. I would think he has tried every way possible and is now about 100 degrees past being angry. We have to win tomorrow night or this might be a wasted year.

Whatever it takes at this point.
You are right and you just have to love his passion.

Nolan was another coach that could peel the paint off the wall with his language.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

fiercefiasco

Quote from: secfan30 on March 02, 2008, 08:31:16 pm
I think I have been cussed out by every coach I ever had. Including my Coach in the Church League who happened to be an Elder. Now I am not saying people have to cuss to get the best out of their players, but this is not the first nor will it be the last time a Leader of a group of young men has cursed to get their attention.
Ever think it was something you were doing? 

Justifiable Hogicide

My kind of guy.

Hope you're here a long time Coach Pelphrey!

nobballconcept

have overheard him say to Hill

"are you not 7 f**kiing feet tall"

this team is aging him quickly.  love the guy

coach, my back hurts

March 03, 2008, 10:47:56 pm #86 Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:49:41 pm by coach, my back hurts
If we started a quote thread of things Pelphrey has said over the yrs of playing and coaching, i'm sure it would be a good one.

Hell, i'd like to hear some of the things Nolan has said.  DVH, etc.

My baseball Legion coach had a foul mouth and was one of the funniest men i know.  Our team would almost get in tears laughing at him sometimes.  He would say some of the most off the wall, dumbest stuff a person will ever hear.   He's a successful coach too.  He gets alot out of his players.

elksnort

Many times the guys that are a little rough around the edges are the best guys.

bigyellowdog

Gotta love Pel.  I can only imagine how good it will get once he gets his players on the hill.