Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overheard at the Vandy game yesterday (funny)

Started by Lando Calrissian, March 02, 2008, 03:13:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lando Calrissian

"You guys have an uncanny ability to f*ck things up!" - John Pelphery.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 02, 2008, 03:13:30 pm

Directed at the team I'm guessing?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 02, 2008, 03:19:18 pm
Directed at the team I'm guessing?

Yep.  In the first few minutes of the game, too.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Mr. Prozac

That is funny...and true.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 02, 2008, 03:20:29 pm
Yep.  In the first few minutes of the game, too.

That's funny and I'm not surprised.  They said when he had his first meeting with the team when he was hired, his language got a little salty.  One thing about him, you know where he stands and that's all you can ask for.  I like the man.  Great hire.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

blacksuit

Good stuff, hard to imagine such a sentiment from our previous coach.

BigoBoys

UAfan

AngryKhalil

I'll do you one better. I called my buddy that's on the team after the game and I asked "So was Pel pretty pumped about the win?" He sent me a text back that said, "Nope, madest he's ever been. He said we should play like that every night but when we're on the road we're fags (sorry I know its not pc) and we play like cowards."

Also after the Alabama game he told them all to meet him in the gym the next day and don't change into your practice gear. When the team showed up he gave them all new red & white practice gear without anything on them just a number on the back and said they didn't deserve to wear anything that said Arkansas on it. He said if you want your old stuff back your gonna have to earn it.
Supporting: Texas Rangers, Seattle Seahawks, Memphis Grizzlies, and The Razorbacks.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: birdman05Also after the Alabama game he told them all to meet him in the gym the next day and don't change into your practice gear. When the team showed up he gave them all new red & white practice gear without anything on them just a number on the back and said they didn't deserve to wear anything that said Arkansas on it. He said if you want your old stuff back your gonna have to earn it.

I had not heard that and it doesn't surprise me one bit.

And yes, he was mad after the game.  He can't stand the fact that they don't play like that all of the time.  It drives him crazy (literally).

The Realist

Quote of the year?
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

arkjay19

bhuie

Quote from: birdman05 on March 02, 2008, 04:00:40 pm
I'll do you one better. I called my buddy that's on the team after the game and I asked "So was Pel pretty pumped about the win?" He sent me a text back that said, "Nope, madest he's ever been. He said we should play like that every night but when we're on the road we're fags (sorry I know its not pc) and we play like cowards."

Also after the Alabama game he told them all to meet him in the gym the next day and don't change into your practice gear. When the team showed up he gave them all new red & white practice gear without anything on them just a number on the back and said they didn't deserve to wear anything that said Arkansas on it. He said if you want your old stuff back your gonna have to earn it.

I absolutely love this guy!

Hogs4Ever

That's being a coach and not your buddy.   8)

Gigantic George

I'm sure he is a good cusser he coached and played under Pitino and he was real good at it when he was at Kentucky. I remember Wally Hall writing about some fans upset about his language during games.

Lando Calrissian

There was also a nice, ummm, "comment" aimed at Steven Hill in the first half, too.

I'm not sure I want to repeat it, as it is possible I misheard him.

But lets just say it was two words and you wouldn't exactly say it in front of your grandma.

coach, my back hurts

I cant blame Pel for being pissed after the Vandy game.  I know every team can look back over the season and wish they had so and so game back, but some teams just shouldnt lose to certain teams. 

I can handle the Carolina loss because its a conf game, but the App St game is/was pitiful.  I dont worry bout the Providence game because it was our 2nd game.  However, between the Providence, AppSt, Carolina, and Bama games, we should already have 21/22 wins and working to IMPROVE our seeding, not earning one.  IMO, we should be 21-7 with 2 games left.

Damn right, i'd be pissed too.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on March 02, 2008, 05:27:21 pm
I cant blame Pel for being pissed after the Vandy game.  I know every team can look back over the season and wish they had so and so game back, but some teams just shouldnt lose to certain teams. 

I can handle the Carolina loss because its a conf game, but the App St game is/was pitiful.  I dont worry bout the Providence game because it was our 2nd game.  However, between the Providence, AppSt, Carolina, and Bama games, we should already have 21/22 wins and working to IMPROVE our seeding, not earning one.  IMO, we should be 21-7 with 2 games left.

Damn right, i'd be pissed too.

Well I suppose that is what is so encouraging about it.

Some would take the route of acting like it never happened.

The Vandy win was a huge one over a really good team.  Some coaches would spend the next hour or so high fiving everyone.

Pelphery, on the other hand, used it as a lesson.

jbcarol

Quote from: Gigantic George on March 02, 2008, 05:16:37 pm
I'm sure he is a good cusser he coached and played under Pitino and he was real good at it when he was at Kentucky. I remember Wally Hall writing about some fans upset about his language during games.

Pitino made a New Year's resolution not to curse one year.  Unfortunately Kentucky had a Jan. 2 game.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

elksnort

Quote from: Gigantic George on March 02, 2008, 05:16:37 pm

You know cussing can be very appropriate. Many of these fans who are troubled by this often do not speak proper grammer which I certainly find worse between the two "sins".

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: elksnort on March 02, 2008, 05:44:30 pm
You know cussing can be very appropriate. Many of these fans who are troubled by this often do not speak proper grammer which I certainly find worse between the two "sins".

I dont think a coach has to cuss, but it seems that when someone gets in your face and is calling you a "f*ggot piece of stuff", that would get my attention rather than someone saying "dag gummit, shame on you".

I'm not saying ANY coach should EVER call a player a "f*ggot" or a "piece of stuff", but you get my point.

My junior high coaches would always tell is to "kick their butts" before a game.  Somehow that just doesnt have the same ring as "kick their fu*king teeth in".LOL

What did the Auburn D Cordinator tell his player at the Arkansas game?  Its on youtube.  Pretty funny.

joeyself

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on March 02, 2008, 05:56:44 pm

What did the Auburn D Cordinator tell his player at the Arkansas game?  Its on youtube.  Pretty funny.

We define "funny" differently, I guess.  The word I'd use is "disgraceful."

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

elksnort

I dont think a coach has to cuss, but it seems that when someone gets in your face and is calling you a "f*ggot piece of stuff", that would get my attention rather than someone saying "dag gummit, shame on you".

I'm not saying ANY coach should EVER call a player a "f*ggot" or a "piece of stuff", but you get my point.

My junior high coaches would always tell is to "kick their butts" before a game.  Somehow that just doesnt have the same ring as "kick their fu*king teeth in".LOL

Don't get me wrong, I do agree cussing can certainly be inappropriate and often shows a lack of vocabulary. Apparently, I must have a lack of vocabulary at many times.

I think that time and place are a big part of when to cuss. Additionally, cussing depends on who you are dealing with. Such as the current Razorback players. They often need a thorough cussing. I do remain contant with my attitude with cussing versus poor grammer.

thanks

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: elksnort on March 02, 2008, 06:02:46 pm
Don't get me wrong, I do agree cussing can certainly be inappropriate and often shows a lack of vocabulary. Apparently, I must have a lack of vocabulary at many times.

I think that time and place are a big part of when to cuss. Additionally, cussing depends on who you are dealing with. Such as the current Razorback players. They often need a thorough cussing. I do remain contant with my attitude with cussing versus poor grammer.

thanks

When i talk to my boss, parents, women, strangers, etc, I dont cuss.  VERY, VERY little have i cussed around my parents and women.  At least girls i dont know.  I have a foul mouth, but am very respectful to ppl i dont know.  I just dont cuss for the fun of it.

And yes, this teams does need a cussing. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: elksnort on March 02, 2008, 06:02:46 pm

thanks

I don't care what he says or how he says it because all I know is I find myself agreeing with the point he's trying to make.   Pelphrey and Mushchamp tend to get their messages across with an R rating while Nutt never cusses and his come accross with a G rating...now which is the more honorable person?   Last thing, Nutt has never been confused with a scholar when it comes to his grasp of the vocabulary.  Right there with Danny Ford in my book, but then again, Danny was a little on blue collar side as well.

Lanny

Fantastic!  I love this coach
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

ballhog™

I guess he could have said what a great win it was, and how we held on the rope, and how this is the toughest conference, and how tough it is to win on the road...or he could have said what he did to the media after the game...

I like it...not satisfied...always striving to do better.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Arkapigdiesel

I love it.

I was pissed off after the 'Bama game and was also pissed at CJP.  Maybe I need to realize that CJP really needs to get his guys in here and lose the Heath recruits.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on March 02, 2008, 07:46:23 pm
I love it.

I was pissed off after the 'Bama game and was also pissed at CJP.  Maybe I need to realize that CJP really needs to get his guys in here and lose the Heath recruits.

Bingo
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

SteveInArk

Great thread.... thanks for starting it Lando...
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

secfan30

LOL!!!! I am so going to have to use this. I just have to. Freakin saying of the Decade right here.

SPAL

whats the big deal?....heath did this very thing to his players. He told em they werent worthy to wear anything with arkansas on it. This is nothing new.

Callin his players out and tryin not to be their buddy, there is the new concept.

SpareRib

This is a great thread.  Pelphrey's language may upset some, but there is absolutely no question about what he stands for.  He's no baby sitter.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

MDH

Nothing wrong with cussing, particularly in sports, IMHO.  People make too much over colorful language, I think.  GD and JFC are about the only two I think are inappropriate, in any situation.

I'm happy with Pel's attitude.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

secfan30

I think I have been cussed out by every coach I ever had. Including my Coach in the Church League who happened to be an Elder. Now I am not saying people have to cuss to get the best out of their players, but this is not the first nor will it be the last time a Leader of a group of young men has cursed to get their attention.

Illinihog

I had heard another one, that him and CT got into it at Practice and went toe to toe.  CT got thrown out of practice for lack of hustle and mouthed back and let's just say Pel didn't take to kindly.  I was told you couldn't have fit a piece of paper between their heads. 

This group has never gotten it and will never get it.  I really can't wait for Thomas,Hill,Hunter,and Ervin to leave.

Fatmanhog

to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

The Realist

I don't really have a problem with Hunter and Ervin.  They give 100% regardless.  Both are solid players with hiccups in their game. 
Hill and Thomas....don't get me started on those wastes of talent.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

lockmaster

fordhog

FaytownHog

i'm guessing that's why he didn't start for a little while there. now that you mention it, they had a few oddball starters this week so i'm sure practice this week was quite interesting!
Quote from: Illinihog on March 02, 2008, 08:31:29 pm
I had heard another one, that him and CT got into it at Practice and went toe to toe.  CT got thrown out of practice for lack of hustle and mouthed back and let's just say Pel didn't take to kindly.  I was told you couldn't have fit a piece of paper between their heads. 

This group has never gotten it and will never get it.  I really can't wait for Thomas,Hill,Hunter,and Ervin to leave.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I overheard Sonny Weems asking one of the Vandy players for financial advice.  Beverly asked another one for some help on paternity law.  While Darren Townes was seeking out a good orthopedist.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MDH

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 02, 2008, 08:51:24 pm
I overheard Sonny Weems asking one of the Vandy players for financial advice.  Beverly asked another one for some help on paternity law.  While Darren Townes was seeking out a good orthopedist.

:D

Exactly the type of things I'd ask the Vandy players ;)
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Sao Ming

Quote from: SpareRib on March 02, 2008, 08:29:13 pm
This is a great thread.  Pelphrey's language may upset some, but there is absolutely no question about what he stands for.  He's no baby sitter.

Damn right.

Fort Swine

His quote after the game on the radio was just as good.  He said he was upset with no getting the win at Bama and said something like I have already had a discussion with the team about the way they played.  He was fired up.  It is great to see a coach with that much energy.

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 02, 2008, 08:51:24 pm
I don't think Neltner would be the one I'd ask accounting advice from.

jbcarol

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on March 02, 2008, 09:05:01 pm
I don't think Neltner would be the one I'd ask accounting advice from.

Neltner went to the same high school that graduated J Load (Jared Lorenzen, The Hefty Lefty).
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Gigantic George

I agree with what he does as a coach, I played some ball in my day and coaches who were in your face and verbal got the most out of me as a player. This is something I don't believe these guys have had on the college level, for these seniors it just to late.