Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who has the most exciting pregame ritual in college football?

Started by razorrog1, February 28, 2008, 10:43:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhog14

Virginia Tech's entrance is awsome...that gives me the chills when I see it.

razorrog1

Quote from: 870 RZR on February 28, 2008, 10:32:10 pm
Virginia Tech's the winner hands down, awesome song to get the crowd pumped.  Since Arkansas tends to get ideas from what other teams do, maybe we could run out to this songs intro....not sure Bobby would go for it though.   ;)

It could be played while the crowd bounces up and down?
That would be pretty cool!

hogfan064

Quote from: Smokehouse on February 29, 2008, 12:12:37 am
I don't know about their entrance, if they did it at the SEC championship game I was still too pumped about thinking we had a chance to notice (*spits*), but I can say that the band's pregame has to have been the most annoying one I've seen. "let's play the chomp to the north endzone! ok, let's play the chomp to the south endzone! What now? let's play the chomp to the west sideline! Ok, now we have to do the east sideline? What now? Uh... let's spell out 'Florida', then... PLAY THE CHOMP!"

No, I was at the SECCG and they didn't play their entrance on the video board.  The video they show is great and the PA guy is great when he introduces the Gators.  The Gator fans have many unique cheers.  2 of the best are when they singe "We are the Boys of Florida" at the end of the 3rd quarter and a fairly new one is when the fans start singing Paul Simon's "You can call me Al"(this looks great during basketball games)  That's the most random song I think I've ever heard at a sporting event.

John Futrall

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 29, 2008, 08:27:01 am
No, I was at the SECCG and they didn't play their entrance on the video board.  The video they show is great and the PA guy is great when he introduces the Gators.  The Gator fans have many unique cheers.  2 of the best are when they singe "We are the Boys of Florida" at the end of the 3rd quarter and a fairly new one is when the fans start singing Paul Simon's "You can call me Al"(this looks great during basketball games)  That's the most random song I think I've ever heard at a sporting event.

Unless you were at Bud Walton Arena in 1993-94.... :)

braxhog

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 29, 2008, 08:27:01 am

I also heard the "It's great to be...a Florida Gator" cheer 3000 times.

hogsanity

I absolutely can not stand V-Tech Fb, but their pre game is unreal.  When they are playing at home on tv I watch just hoping they show the pre-game. 

But, when thinking of doing something like that here, think about what the most popular music is here.......................it ain't that kind.  Now, think about our crowd.  V-tech looks like the median age is 30, MAYBE, ours is about 50.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on February 29, 2008, 09:54:26 am
I absolutely can not stand V-Tech Fb, but their pre game is unreal.  When they are playing at home on tv I watch just hoping they show the pre-game. 

But, when thinking of doing something like that here, think about what the most popular music is here.......................it ain't that kind.  Now, think about our crowd.  V-tech looks like the median age is 30, MAYBE, ours is about 50.
They seem to be a lot more excitable than our crowd. I suppose the age factor you mention has something to do with that. (of course it could always be alcohol too, haha)

josh_sec33

Hawaii's modified War chant is really neat. i also like Univ. of Washington's marching style. Very crisp and when you stopped you popped back and stopped moving when you came back forward. Very obvious if you made a mistake, and those were rarely seen.

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

alum60

The worst half-time event I ever heard of, although I wasn't alive at the time, was in the mid-30's when LSU brought their tiger to Fayetteville and during the half-time activities they threw 2 little live pigs into the tigers cage and the tiger ate them.  The crowd and team were so incensed that the Razorbacks came out in the 2nd half and won the game.

dowils

Went to the Tennessee game this past season and they are some of the most passionate, classy and just good folks.  My son and I, in our razorback red, sat in a sea of orange and everyone around us was nothing but first class.  They complimented my 5 year old on his love of the Razorbacks, of course they kicked our butt which helped there demeanor....lol 

They play the opposing teams fight song at the beginning of the game and they are so into the rocky top song with crowd participation screaming yee haw, it was loud and a very fun atmosphere. 

John Futrall

Virginia Tech's the winner hands down, awesome song to get the crowd pumped.  Since Arkansas tends to get ideas from what other teams do, maybe we could run out to this songs intro....not sure Bobby would go for it though.   ;)

"Thunderstruck"

itsonlyagame

Script Ohio and dotting the "i". The Michigan band and "Hail to the victors". A&M and the theme from Patton.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: alum60 on February 29, 2008, 10:42:45 am
The worst half-time event I ever heard of, although I wasn't alive at the time, was in the mid-30's when LSU brought their tiger to Fayetteville and during the half-time activities they threw 2 little live pigs into the tigers cage and the tiger ate them.  The crowd and team were so incensed that the Razorbacks came out in the 2nd half and won the game.
Lol, that sounds like an urban legend.

hogsanity

Script Ohio is really good, especially on Alumni day when they have like 5 versions of it on the field all at once.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on February 29, 2008, 09:54:26 am

VT has a young fanbase. 20 years ago VT football meant nothing to that area.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 29, 2008, 12:11:51 pm
VT has a young fanbase. 20 years ago VT football meant nothing to that area.

Thats why their pregame works well.  Try something like that here and you give about 100 blue hairs heart attacks

lyon98

If you include high schools, the Titans are in a class by themselves, above the rest.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on February 29, 2008, 12:26:45 pm
Thats why their pregame works well.  Try something like that here and you give about 100 blue hairs heart attacks

I agree. Plus Arkansas has tons more history associated with it than VT does.  You don't see Bama or Michigan playing "hip" music as their teams enter.  Southern Cal doesn't either.  Programs that have been around for a long time just don't do things like that.

Smokehouse

Quote from: mikeyg31 on February 29, 2008, 09:25:48 am
Unless you were at Bud Walton Arena in 1993-94.... :)

or this year, we've played it a few times at half time. Actually, I think we did it at the Florida game, lol.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

ghg1

Quote from: alum60 on February 29, 2008, 10:42:45 am

The 1st time LSU ever played in Fayetteville was 1992.

lyon98

Quote from: ghg1 on February 29, 2008, 12:48:30 pm

Maybe they took the tiger to Shreveport.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ghg1 on February 29, 2008, 12:48:30 pm
I do not believe that is true.

"The teams played from 1953-56, played a 0-0 Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1947, and played every year from 1906-36, with only the exception of 1918, when Arkansas only played 5 games, probably as a result of WWI." from http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/theknightswhosay/47073 (among other sources if you google it) Surely they weren't all away or LR games.

I am betting that story is BS, though. (I'd bet a large sum of money on it in fact) No one feeds pigs to tigers in a game. I could find no reference to that ever occurring, and if it ever did, then surely there would have been a story or two at least on it, and it would be much better known about in Arkansas than one random person on the internet talking about it.

ghg1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 29, 2008, 12:53:38 pm

"The teams played from 1953-56, played a 0-0 Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1947, and played every year from 1906-36, with only the exception of 1918, when Arkansas only played 5 games, probably as a result of WWI." from http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/theknightswhosay/47073 (among other sources if you google it) Surely they weren't all away or LR games.

I am betting that story is BS, though. (I'd bet a large sum of money on it in fact) No one feeds pigs to tigers in a game. I could find no reference to that ever occurring, and if it ever did, then surely there would have been a story or two at least on it, and it would be much better known about in Arkansas than one random person on the internet talking about it.

Yes it is.  In fact, 1992 was the one and only time LSU has played in Fayetteville.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/opponents_records.php?teamid=1793

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ghg1 on February 29, 2008, 01:04:24 pm
Yes it is.  In fact, 1992 was the one and only time LSU has played in Fayetteville.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/opponents_records.php?teamid=1793

Amazing. It is still a BS story, no matter where we played the games.

lyon98

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 29, 2008, 12:53:38 pm

The games before WWII were in Shreveport during the state fair days. A few were played in BR before that.
What Is A Veteran?

scorekeeper

Quote from: braxhog on February 28, 2008, 10:53:03 am
Clemson. The players touching Howard's Rock and running down the hill is pretty cool.
I hope Coach doesn't have the players touching the wood McFadden was talking about...it seems to be a dangerous tool when pounding up the middle.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

razorrog1

I know I started this with a college football question, but man this one still gives me chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6kiimEsYc&feature=related

reddogjcss

V. V. Hawg

Quote from: braxhog on February 28, 2008, 10:53:03 am
Clemson. The players touching Howard's Rock and running down the hill is pretty cool.

That's one of the best right there.

ThunderHog

Army has a pregame ritual that starts about an hour before kickoff.  My cousin acutually played there as a special teams player...never started a game, but I had a chance to go to one of the games a few years ago.  It will make the hair on your head stand up.  They have paratroopers falling out of the sky, cadets marching in unison into the stadium, cannons being fired...it is very impressive.

Their football teams have not been very good for a while but you have to realize that they can not recruit thugs or athletes that have no plans to attend class or graduate.  Their players end up in Iraq and Afghanistan as military officers making sure that we can lay down at night and enjoy a peaceful sleep.  There is no other football program I have more respect for. 

Link to a  good  video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOlUdofxgfg

Hog inAustin

Don't get me wrong...I love the "A" and the fight song (and how we used to call the Hogs) but having previously lived in Tennessee for years, I really came to appreciate the sight of 100,000 hunter orange Tennessee fans reacting to the announcer's call, "It's football time in Tennessee" as the team ran onto the field through the block T made by a darn big band...man those folks really get fired up over that...WPS!

lyon98

Thunderhog, that was an interesting video. Years ago, when Army and Navy played the game was carried on TV for a longer period than it is today and it showed both schools arriving and much more of the festitivies. That was one of the days no one messed with the tv or my time while I watched. Seemed where we lived at the time we always had a fire going in the fire place and most of the family watched with me. By far one of the most enjoyable TV games, as far as the festivites. I never got to see a game at WP but did see several at Annapolis. The middies march from the naval academy to the stadium and the students at St John's mess with them all the way out there, another traditiion, I guess.
What Is A Veteran?

DickSonstreetDFW

Here's a great, apparently homemade video that would be fitting for the Pig Screen.

People sitting at home are doing better than the Athletic Deparrtment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvA-cIfRR6M&feature=related

El Puerco

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on February 29, 2008, 12:11:47 am
The Va Tech video is great!!!! I have long thought that Arkansas needed to add some "umph" to the games. I mean USC has the death bell toll on 4th down, South Carolina has the rooster crowing etc. I am sure there are a lot of others but something just to get the crowd more fired up :razorback:

We have a wonderful and time-honored tradition at Arkansas that is being overlooked.  Now, it's not a pre-game ritual, per se, but it strikes fear into the hearts of our opponents nonetheless:  Each game, when there is approximately ten minutes remaining, all of the old people that sit on their cans all game long and don't cheer, stand in unison and file out of the stadium.  Simply stunning.

Col.Mccoy

Virginia Tech's the winner hands down, awesome song to get the crowd pumped.  Since Arkansas tends to get ideas from what other teams do, maybe we could run out to this songs intro....not sure Bobby would go for it though.   ;)

That would be embarrassing and just a sad day for Arkansas football. Kid Rock sucks goats.
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie