Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indiana Players threaten to quit if Sampson's fired!

Started by razorbbh, February 22, 2008, 10:53:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbbh

Five players including D.J White and Eric Gordon said if Sampson don't coach they don't play.

HogBaptist

Quote from: razorbbh on February 22, 2008, 10:53:40 am
Five players including D.J White and Eric Gordon said if Sampson don't coach they don't play.

Supposedly this is not true.

razorbbh

Don't know just heard it on the radio, and read it on cbssportsline.

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 22, 2008, 11:10:29 am
Let them quit.

I am with you. Who the heck cares? You can't let players hold your program for ransom.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

Hollywood_HOGan45

L.A.

These rumors always get started anytime a coach's job is in jeopardy.  Remember when everyone was saying D-Mac and Felix weren't going to play in the Bowl game ???

Hoggish1

February 22, 2008, 11:42:41 am #7 Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:46:27 am by Hoggish1
Never going to happen.  That's just a bluff.  But, if I'm the AD, I'm telling those players to not let the screen door wack 'em in the arse, if the decision to can Sampson is made because when the inmates run the asylum you've got problems.

We had that here with TCF'd and our former AD and Chancellor.  I'm guessing Indiana is way smarter than that.

PigTimePlayer

Let 'em . . . one less team to have to worry about in the tournament.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

idiotghos

As I recall the players there also demanded that Mike Davis get hired after Knight.  I doubt the bigwigs are going to try that again.

cmakrzrbak

Boo freakin hoo

The guy screwed up and needs to face the consequences.  I view it as a life lesson for the players.  If you want to be a grown man, act like one.  Don't run away when things don't go your way.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

RedSatinHog

Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

CallMeAl

Quote from: L.A. on February 22, 2008, 11:37:58 am
These rumors always get started anytime a coach's job is in jeopardy.  Remember when everyone was saying D-Mac and Felix weren't going to play in the Bowl game ???

It seemed to me that none of our players played in the bowl game.
Hog since birth.

The Boar War

I think the University of Kelvin Sampson basketball team should get their priorities straight.

Oliver

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on February 22, 2008, 12:37:41 pm
It seemed to me that none of our players played in the bowl game.

None of Ole Miss's coaches coached in our bowl game either.

Tripod1

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Speaking of "Hoosiers", disgruntled UK walk-on Mills talked to the press this week after being dismissed from the squad.

Mills reportedly said that after two practices he decided to introduce himself to Coach Gillispie.

Gillispie reportedly interrupted, "I know your name.  Your name's Ollie.  It's in the book.  I will call you if and when I need to speak to you."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Beaverfever

Alright let them quit and not play basketball for almost 2 years.

eathill5

You know I have absolutely no care one way or the other, however these kids are idiots.  I think Indiana should pull their scholarships and make them pay the money back for the schooling they already received.  Who do you really think that you are?  They reflect the stupidity and character of their coach, they have a lot of the first and none of the second.  What a bunch of crybabies.  If Sampson had any character or cared about those kids at all he would be sure that every kid knew that he screwed up and their are consequences for that and them throwing their careers and futures away because HE IS A CHEATER does nothing but hurt themselves.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

Sooie05

Quote from: eathill5 on February 22, 2008, 01:08:38 pm
You know I have absolutely no care one way or the other, however these kids are idiots.  I think Indiana should pull their scholarships and make them pay the money back for the schooling they already received.  Who do you really think that you are?  They reflect the stupidity and character of their coach, they have a lot of the first and none of the second.  What a bunch of crybabies.  If Sampson had any character or cared about those kids at all he would be sure that every kid knew that he screwed up and their are consequences for that and them throwing their careers and futures away because HE IS A CHEATER does nothing but hurt themselves.

Take it easy.  Like you said they are just kids.  If this happens to be true most athletes are loyal to their coach.  Plus it's not like they have called off the game saturday. 

jry04

Quote from: L.A. on February 22, 2008, 11:37:58 am
They actually weren't. I know first hand. They finally realized it was stupid though.

spudhog

you get the opportunity for a free college education, get treated like royalty for your time there and after, and you're playing on national tv nearly every game. and you want to give this up for a known cheater? sounds like kelvin has passed along his decision making skills to his players.

booogaga

so not only does he recruit cheaters he recruits quitters as well. nice.
GO HOGS!

hog_fan

I name the coach they don't want just to piss them off and show them who is in charge. Tell them if they quit their scholarship is gone and if need be cancel the season.

phadedhawg

good of them to show a token measure of support for their coach.  I seriously doubt that they would really follow thru with it.

It's only words...

Rsvlhog

They are not going to do anything. It's just a bluff. Name the coach and watch them fold.
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

BCShogs

Quote from: phadedhawg on February 22, 2008, 02:25:13 pm
good of them to show a token measure of support for their coach.  I seriously doubt that they would really follow thru with it.

It's only words...

Yea. It's good to show support for a lying thug.

silverhawg

quit & see how far that takes ya in the future...I figure every college kid's ultimate goal is to go pro...I doubt that quitting would enhance that effort.

idiotghos

Quote from: hog_fan on February 22, 2008, 01:38:02 pm
I name the coach they don't want just to piss them off

That's probably why you aren't running any athletic departments.

The Realist

People who say cut them loose etc are very close minded and naive. 
People say they are given college scholarships and an education so they don't have a right to make any decisions like this.
The scholarships and future education pales in comparison to the amount of Money they make the University of Indiana. 
Unless these players are going pro that is, Especially Eric Gordon. 
We are talking millions and millions of dollars in revenue because of those 10 players on a team, yet they don't have a say so in anything?  If you want to look at what some college athletes have to go through, you can see why there is a growing movement to pay athletes.  Because they make all these universities so many millions and they get what?  An education paying maybe 100k a year if they are successful outside of basketball?  You tell me who gets the good end of that deal. 

Look at what Sampson is accused of doing...making phone calls.  Not overpaying 10x for players to work at a car dealership.  Not paying any players or giving extra benefits, but just making phone calls.  I can see why these players are feeling like this isn't right, especially to them. 
There are both sides to this but your a fool to think players don't have an incredible amount of power over a university, especially athletic departments who are interested in maximizing revenues.  And athletes in football and basketball are really good at maximizing revenue for a school. 

Just saying, think about that before you call them fools, idiots, or to cut them loose.  All of these guys can find programs more than willing to take them in, but they want to be at Indiana and playing for their coach.  It's easy to see one side, now try seeing both.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

farmhawg

Which side? Right or wrong? The phone calls are a big deal. He was caught cheating at OU and was warned. His stupidity for doing it again. NO university can let the players dictate what their actions will be in an instance like this. We understand they are there and want to play for their coach. But they should not be ignorant enough to issue ultimatums that they may have to back down from. Granted they are kids and just showing their immaturity but again that is why they do not get to make the decision.

Personally the AD should be the one fired. He knew what he was getting when they hired Sampson.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

The Realist

February 22, 2008, 03:28:22 pm #34 Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:29:53 pm by The Realist
Nobody is saying they are letting them dictate everything.  But when they are putting a winning product on the court with the coach who got them to go there, you can understand their position.  Eric Gordon and DJ White would not be there if it wasn't for Sampson.  Indiana wouldn't be 22-4 if not For Sampson, Gordon, and White.
Coaching decisions are usually made based with on court performance, and to them they have gone above and beyond what is required for him to be the coach.  That is the PLAYERS view of it.  They go out bust their ass every night and win most of the time and they get punished for phone calls.  You can see the discrepancy to these players. 
In the end, it is Indiana losing, not these players.  They will lose this season if Sampson is fired.  They will probably lose DJ White and Eric Gordon.  White and Gordon will continue and be successful either in NBA or college but Indiana is losing the money on this one.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

eathill5

Quote from: The Realist on February 22, 2008, 03:28:22 pm
Nobody is saying they are letting them dictate everything.  But when they are putting a winning product on the court with the coach who got them to go there, you can understand their position.  Eric Gordon and DJ White would not be there if it wasn't for Sampson.  Indiana wouldn't be 22-4 if not For Sampson, Gordon, and White.
Coaching decisions are usually made based with on court performance, and to them they have gone above and beyond what is required for him to be the coach.  That is the PLAYERS view of it.  They go out bust their ass every night and win most of the time and they get punished for phone calls.  You can see the discrepancy to these players. 
In the end, it is Indiana losing, not these players.  They will lose this season if Sampson is fired.  They will probably lose DJ White and Eric Gordon.  White and Gordon will continue and be successful either in NBA or college but Indiana is losing the money on this one.

Wow, so since they are winning this is excusable.  If you think that Indiana is the one who is losing the most by sitting out games then you are quite as "real" as you think.   It is absolutely absurd that you think because these players bust their ass they shouldn't get punished for phone calls you are out of your mind.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

bigyellowdog

rljjr

The integrity of the institution is far more important than the wants of gifted athletes. It's time for the University to stand strong and do what it believes to be the right thing. Yes, listen to the players thoughts, and certainly consider them, but in the end do the best with what you have. If they don't want to play ball at IU then release them from their scholarships. I think reality sets in really quickly when they think about having to wait a year if they transfer or Heaven forbid have to pay for school!

hawgsav1

Quote from: BCShogs on February 22, 2008, 02:32:41 pm
Yea. It's good to show support for a lying thug.

Ok, Sampson may be a cheater, but how is he a "thug"?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Oliver

The Realist

Quote from: eathill5 on February 22, 2008, 03:41:30 pm
Wow, so since they are winning this is excusable.  If you think that Indiana is the one who is losing the most by sitting out games then you are quite as "real" as you think.   It is absolutely absurd that you think because these players bust their ass they shouldn't get punished for phone calls you are out of your mind.
You have a problem with reading comprehension don't you?  Either that or it's selective reading for you.  Notice I said the view of the players.  That is why they made those statements about not playing.  Nowhere in there did I state my beliefs on the situation so do me a favor:  Go back read again, and try understanding what I actually said.  If that's too hard, don't reply. 
And also, give your reasoning for why players should be punished for something they had no control over and moreover, had no idea was even going on?  That should be a good one. 
Childs, Gregory.

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

CTHOG

A source said most of the players have backed off a CBSSports.com-reported threat that was delivered to Greenspan late Thursday to quit if Sampson was replaced, though it remains uncertain whether all of the players will travel to Northwestern for Saturday's game against the Wildcats.

Per cbssportsline
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 06, 2007, 10:13:22 pmI hereby dub you "ThesaurusHog"!

Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati

If it moves, its Biology.
If it stinks, its Chemistry.
If it doesn't work, its Physics.

Rsvlhog

Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

BradyHolzhauer

Eric Gordon said he'd be playing in that Yahoo! article

BradyHolzhauer

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 22, 2008, 09:18:24 pm
He should play too.  I like this Indiana team and I can understnd how they have bonded with Kelvin Sampson.  I think the Indiana athletic department has a lot to answer to.  Simply disposing of the coach does not mitigate the fact that they hired him knowing he has done this before.
Yeah I agree.  I can't blame the players for this.  That's their coach.
But yeah, the IU Ath. Dept. is to blame here.