Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Bear Bryant Museum...........

Started by Pyotr Tchaikhogsky, February 21, 2008, 10:58:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

So I'm in Tuscaloosa for a few days and decided to go snoop around the Bear Bryant Museum this afternoon.  And I noticed something very funny.  They had profiles of all the Alabama coaches extending around the wall of the museum in chronological order.  But the wall stops at Mike DuBose!!  So we're looking around for Mike Price and Mike Shula and we turn around to see a shrine built in honor of Nick Saban!  (surprise, surprise)  They must be trying to forget the post-DuBose, pre-Satan era.  Speaking of revisionist history.....I've also included some pictures of their mythical 1964 National Championship.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

rcowen

SquidBilly

Where is the display of beer cans and whiskey bottles?  Be a fitting tribute to ole checkered hat's personal life.  By the way one of their rings says 1964.  If I'm not mistaken we were NC in 64.  They claim 12 national titles but outside of the state of Alabama I believe most only give them credit for 4 or 5.  Those bama fans are pathetic.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: ATLpiggie on February 21, 2008, 11:08:30 pm
By the way one of their rings says 1964.  If I'm not mistaken we were NC in 64.

That's why I said it was a mythical national championship.  Everybody with a brain knows who the true champion was in '64!

SquidBilly

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on February 21, 2008, 11:13:10 pm
That's why I said it was a mythical national championship.  Everybody with a brain knows who the true champion was in '64!

Would have been cool if you had a sharpie and put a big X and a Woo Pig Sooie by that one.  I'd pay to see that picture and the looks on the Bama fans faces when they saw it.

Buck Brewer

February 21, 2008, 11:22:30 pm #8 Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:29:53 pm by SherlockHog
Factually,  all National Championships are fictional (pre BCS) with some years often claimed by three team. The NCAA does not sanction a D-1 Bowl division NC nor does it officially recognize the BCS championship.

We could claim 77 as a national championship year if we choose, according to the National Championship Foundation, along with three other teams.

DeltaBoy

Since the Bear was born a Raised down in South Ark we all need to treat his leagacy with RESPECT and kick the He77 out of Bama!
God Bless the Bear and Beat the crap out of Bama!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WADHOG

Where's the shrine that asks, "What have you done for me lately"?  Alabama has history, no doubt, but it has been A WHILE since they were any kind of threat on the national scene.  No point in wasting quality oxygen trying to dispute anything with them though.

bar_hog

bad mouth bama all you want but I dare anyone to walk into that museum and not get chills...

LZH

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 22, 2008, 09:01:20 am
Bear was born and Raised down in South Ark

He was my great-uncle (yaaaay)......only by marriage (booooo).

reddogjcss

Bear was born and raised in New Edinburg Ark; near Fordyce; I always root for the Arkansas boys. But we better beat them corn feed bama boys. WOOOOOO PIGGG SOOOOIE

uams1989

For most of this thread the posts only show that in general, hog fans do not understand what it is to have football tradition and real success.

For one, Bama may have fallen since Bryant, but they still have several SEC championships and one of those mythical national championships during that stretch. When did AR have their last one?  Oh yeah, it was during one of those mythical years. AP has named Bama #1 6 times and if you don't want to count UPI and the other polls (which BTW everyone else counts) Bama still has 6 times as many as your hogs.

As a hog fan, behind my Bama allegiance, I am disapponted, but then I know that any true fan of college football would appreciate the Bryant museum.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

Buck Brewer

They are all mythical whether you like it or not. Tradition or no tradition. The BCS has somewhat legitimized the bastard child that is the NC of College Football but none are official NCs.

And from now on Ark will have two mythical NCs in football, lets embrace the Bama tradition of mythology. Munch on them Golden Flakes.

reddogjcss

lyon98

Back when bama was winning most of their MNC, there was only four bowls worth speaking of, actually, the Cotton Bowl was a johnny come lately. Bama won the Rose Bowl several times and that was worthy of a NC. I wish Arkansas had been that good.

It has been pointed out that once or twice AP had bama #1 and the UP had them #1. That year they won 2 MNCs.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Buck Brewer

Back in the day, several bigtime schools did not play bowl games.

FBPLAYER65

No one outside of the state of Arkansas recognizes the 1964 title. It is mythical. We have zero football titles.

BenClevelandFan

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on February 22, 2008, 11:57:43 pm
No one outside of the state of Arkansas recognizes the 1964 title. It is mythical. We have zero football titles.
The term "mythical" referred to the fact that these national championships were voted on and not won as a result of playing in an NCAA sanctioned national champiionship game. In that respect all national championships in Division I football before the BCS system was adopted were mythical.
In 1964 Alabama was named national champion in the AP poll. Some other team won it in the UPI poll. Arkansas' championship  was awarded by the College Football Writers who were the only group with enough sense to vote after the bowl games.
In short, Arkansas championship is just as valid as Alabama's. Actually more so because it made more sense. In 1964 Arkansas was the ONLY undefeated Division I team.

rlamb

If you look at the National Football Data Warehouse.com, it shows Arkansas winning about 12 versions of the National Titile after the 64' season. The
Football Writers Grantland Rice bing the most prestiguous.

Bama finished with about 11 but they got the most prestigious of that day in the darned UPI and AP, who closed their polls bfore the Bowls.

We also won 1 small obscure National Title version after the 65' season with Likenhous or something like that and in 77' with Billengsley or something. Yea, I'm sure Broyles and company were aware of these from 65' and 77, but maybe not? Some schools would proudly claim them though!

I truly think we deserved a pretty prominent version of a National Title after that 77' season and if I headed the athletic dept., I would claim the small version that we did get.

uams1989

Agree with the last couple of posts. We all agree that, unfortunately, there has never been a legitimate way to name a national champion, at least until BCS (and it still has a long way to go). So, I think the Hogs should claim any that were from nationally recognized, credible sources. The 12 that Bama claims are all from sources that were credible and recognized sources, at the given time. Scripps Howard may be unknown today, but in the '20's and '30's it was a major news source.

Awbies want to make fun or attack the legitimacy of Bama's 12, but they claim one from 1957 when they were on probation...which BTW is the only one they can even close to claiming.

Hopefully, we will evolve a system that everyone can agree with, but until we get there, we have had what we had at the time.

lyon98

Quote from: SherlockHog on February 22, 2008, 10:39:37 pm
Back in the day, several bigtime schools did not play bowl games.

Only Notre Dame and maybe the Big 10 had a ban on bowl games but not many could play when there were basically only 4 bowls until after WWII. Arkansas A&M did play in a bowl that became the foundation for the Blue Bonnett etc in Houston.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: bar_hog on February 22, 2008, 03:33:07 pm
bad mouth bama all you want but I dare anyone to walk into that museum and not get chills...

I've been told this before. 

I've also heard it a couple of times that college footbal LIVES there.  If you love college football, you have to visit this museum. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

uams1989

Amen WC!  I admit that I am blinded but I have taken friends from Arkansas and other places to the museum and they always talk about how impressive it is. I am always impressed how many visiting fans will make comments about playing in T-town, but they always talk about the "chills" inside the place.

Calling All Hogs

As far as honoring other coaches, they need a little water filled glass bubble with a toy model of Mike Price at a strip club. When you shake it little ten dollar bills would come down "making it rain" on the strippers.  :D

SquidBilly

Quote from: uams1989 on February 23, 2008, 04:41:24 pm
Amen WC!  I admit that I am blinded but I have taken friends from Arkansas and other places to the museum and they always talk about how impressive it is. I am always impressed how many visiting fans will make comments about playing in T-town, but they always talk about the "chills" inside the place.

Graceland from what I've heard is also impressive.  Haven't been to either place.  And I hate to be the bearer of bad news to Bama fans and Elvis fans, both of your idols are dead.  Outside of your small minded little worlds, the rest of us have moved on.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: ATLpiggie on February 23, 2008, 05:35:19 pm
Graceland from what I've heard is also impressive.  Haven't been to either place.  And I hate to be the bearer of bad news to Bama fans and Elvis fans, both of your idols are dead.  Outside of your small minded little worlds, the rest of us have moved on.

I've lived in Memphis or near Memphis my entire life, I've never been not do I have a burning desire. nor do I care to see the self importance of the Bear Bryant musuem and I've been past the place. I figure our little piece of pollyanna in the northend zone will suffice for mythology worship.

I value conference titles in NCAA football more than anything else, they are tangible and real. Bama's got a good thing going there. BUT, its been a while since they mattered a whole lot. Hell ,they had Stallings and he wasn't good enough for some of them whacked out Bear worshippers.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: bar_hog on February 22, 2008, 03:33:07 pm

I actually get more chills walking into the Broyles Center. The kind that actually mean something to me.

idiotghos

Quote from: LRfan999 on February 23, 2008, 10:25:52 pm
love to hear the envy.  Hogs never will be, nor understand the tradition at a school like bama.  check out the records, most bowls, most bowl wins, only team to ever win sugar, cotton, rose, orange twice - bama's won the bowls at least three times.  bama is why the pac10 and big10 locked the bowl up.  bama has won 5 rose bowl.  seems they were not welcome any more - lol.  most sec championships, no losing record against any sec team.  want more.  you hog fans aint go a clue and come sept 08, you butt gonna be kicked again.  oh by the way did you 37th recruiting class check out who is #1.  count on it - hogs arse is grass.  rtr

I wish I could act this stupid sometimes, just to troll other teams' message boards.

Buck Brewer

Envy? Its not envy I just don't care for Bama football like I don't care for Washingtion St. football. ITS NOT MY TEAM nor is this Tideville, where Ark fans worship worm food dead coach. How fricked up is that, a museum devoted to football, a rich tradition going all the way back to the 30s and it's devoted and named for  one man.  I like how Bama fans throw out envy, when most of us just really don't give two craps. There's one coach that I respect above all others, John McDonnell, thats championship personified.

Tell Me how was the Forrest Gump section?

Trottsky

I've been to Bear's birthplace down below Fordyce, some years back. Though not what you'd call a huge fan, I sorta got a feeling of awe standing there by that farmhouse. Now, that's a shrine.

SquidBilly

Quote from: CallMeHog on February 23, 2008, 05:15:25 pm
As far as honoring other coaches, they need a little water filled glass bubble with a toy model of Mike Price at a strip club. When you shake it little ten dollar bills would come down "making it rain" on the strippers.  :D

Hey you may be onto a product idea.  You could make a Mike Price version, a Pacman Jones version, an old Gold Club with Patrick Ewing version.  :) 

WADHOG

Quote from: uams1989 on February 22, 2008, 09:52:14 pm
For most of this thread the posts only show that in general, hog fans do not understand what it is to have football tradition and real success.

For one, Bama may have fallen since Bryant, but they still have several SEC championships and one of those mythical national championships during that stretch. When did AR have their last one?  Oh yeah, it was during one of those mythical years. AP has named Bama #1 6 times and if you don't want to count UPI and the other polls (which BTW everyone else counts) Bama still has 6 times as many as your hogs.

As a hog fan, behind my Bama allegiance, I am disapponted, but then I know that any true fan of college football would appreciate the Bryant museum.
For one, you are not a hog fan.  Secondly, I would venture to say you know nothing of college football to say that we don't understand football tradition and real success.  Are you saying that Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, and Ken Hatfield weren't successful at Arkansas?  You have your facts confused with some other school, because we have PLENTY of tradition when it comes to college football.  When is the past the past?  How long can Alabama rest on the laurels of Bear "Arkansan" Bryant?  I think Army used to be a force to be reckoned with too, but what have they done lately?  I totally respect the tradition of Alabama, but that tradition is fading every year you field a medicore team.  No one talks about Alabama a powerhouse anymore, you know it and we know it.

elksnort

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on February 23, 2008, 08:02:54 pm
I actually get more chills walking into the Broyles Center. The kind that actually mean something to me.

Just a side note. I possess the helmet on your avitar that Joe Ferguson is wearing.

elksnort

Quote from: LRfan999 on February 23, 2008, 10:25:52 pm
love to hear the envy.  Hogs never will be, nor understand the tradition at a school like bama.  check out the records, most bowls, most bowl wins, only team to ever win sugar, cotton, rose, orange twice - bama's won the bowls at least three times.  bama is why the pac10 and big10 locked the bowl up.  bama has won 5 rose bowl.  seems they were not welcome any more - lol.  most sec championships, no losing record against any sec team.  want more.  you hog fans aint go a clue and come sept 08, you butt gonna be kicked again.  oh by the way did you 37th recruiting class check out who is #1.  count on it - hogs arse is grass.  rtr

Sir, What is Alabama's record versus Arkansas in football for the last decade?

uams1989

I respect what Broyles, Holtz, and hatfield did (although I remember y'all being glad to see Hatfield go) but all 3 together couldn't hold a candle to Bryant and Bama's sucess. I hate Texas like the rest of you, but most years you were looking up at them and playing for 2nd place. Not all but more times than not. Bama was the Texas of the SEC but only with more domination.

Times have changed and no one will dominate a conference like Bama or Texas did. I agree that the mediocre seasons have lowered Bama's position (although most programs that have tradition usually get things corrected because they know what it is like to be at the top) but it is interesting that you argue against Bama's tradition and support it with a coach who retired before Bryant, and two who got run out of NWA. 

Buck Brewer

Quote from: elksnort on February 24, 2008, 06:43:20 pm
Sir, What is Alabama's record versus Arkansas in football for the last decade?

Thats when a Bama fan really starts throwing out the past. They get besides themselves and the excuse making gets rather embarassing.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: uams1989 on February 24, 2008, 06:54:58 pm
I respect what Broyles, Holtz, and hatfield did (although I remember y'all being glad to see Hatfield go) but all 3 together couldn't hold a candle to Bryant and Bama's sucess. I hate Texas like the rest of you, but most years you were looking up at them and playing for 2nd place. Not all but more times than not. Bama was the Texas of the SEC but only with more domination.

Times have changed and no one will dominate a conference like Bama or Texas did. I agree that the mediocre seasons have lowered Bama's position (although most programs that have tradition usually get things corrected because they know what it is like to be at the top) but it is interesting that you argue against Bama's tradition and support it with a coach who retired before Bryant, and two who got run out of NWA. 

I don't argue against it, I just don't care. If a Bammer wants to whack off to the accomplishments of a man dead for over twenty years now, be my guest. just do it on a Bama board, Tider Insider is full of perpetual Bear whackers.

uams1989

Alright...

What was Arkansas' record against Bama last year?

lyon98

Only bama fans claim an all time superior record to the rest of the football world. Their offical archives say, and they only go back to the 70s, that bama, 103 wins and OU 102 wins were the dominating powers of the 70s. The 80s was Nebraska and the 90s Fsu, Neb abd FL in the 90s, in that order based on wins.

Bama is upgrading the schedule under Saban, Arkansas State University will be their home coming queen.
What Is A Veteran?

piggly wiggly

I think Texass owns 'Bama and the Bear.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: elksnort on February 24, 2008, 06:40:21 pm
Just a side note. I possess the helmet on your avitar that Joe Ferguson is wearing.

That very helmet? Cool.

WADHOG

Quote from: uams1989 on February 24, 2008, 06:54:58 pm

No, incorrect, AGAIN.  You said that WE didn't understand football tradition.  I wasn't arguing against Bama's tradition, just arguing for ours.  Yeah, sure, Lou Holtz, Frank Broyles, and Ken Hatfield, what did they do, right?  Arguements like that throw good judgement out the window, hince the comment about wasting good oxygen, that's why I come here.  Arkansas has a little over six hundred victories and Alabama has a few over seven hundred, over 100 years of playing football, you've got us by an average of one victory a year.  We can split hairs and play devil's advocate all day, but Arkansas has plenty of traditon.  Broyles ran Holtz out, not the fans, same goes for Hatfield.  Once again, lack of knowledge limits your ammunition in the arguement.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: WADHOG on February 24, 2008, 08:31:40 pm
No, incorrect, AGAIN.  You said that WE didn't understand football tradition.  I wasn't arguing against Bama's tradition, just arguing for ours.  Yeah, sure, Lou Holtz, Frank Broyles, and Ken Hatfield, what did they do, right?  Arguements like that throw good judgement out the window, hince the comment about wasting good oxygen, that's why I come here.  Arkansas has a little over six hundred victories and Alabama has a few over seven hundred, over 100 years of playing football, you've got us by an average of one victory a year.  We can split hairs and play devil's advocate all day, but Arkansas has plenty of traditon.  Broyles ran Holtz out, not the fans, same goes for Hatfield.  Once again, lack of knowledge limits your ammunition in the arguement.

No...Hatfield ran himself out. Holtz was fired. Hatfield QUIT. Hatfield said he would sign his new contract, never did and left for Clemson, sight unseen. Accepted the job without ever visiting there. Very similar to Bobby Petrino and Lou Holtz who also accepted coaching jobs at Arkansas without having visited the U of A.

WADHOG

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on February 24, 2008, 08:41:09 pm
No...Hatfield ran himself out. Holtz was fired. Hatfield QUIT. Hatfield said he would sign his new contract, never did and left for Clemson, sight unseen. Accepted the job without ever visiting there. Very similar to Bobby Petrino and Lou Holtz who also accepted coaching jobs at Arkansas without having visited the U of A.
So the fans wanted Hatfield and Holtz gone?  What's your point?  We both know they left, whatever the formality was, because of coach Broyles, and that was my point earlier.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: WADHOG on February 24, 2008, 08:43:57 pm
So the fans wanted Hatfield and Holtz gone?  What's your point?  We both know they left, whatever the formality was, because of coach Broyles, and that was my point earlier.

Here is the point. You said "Broyles ran Holtz out, not the fans, same goes for Hatfield".

The fact is Broyles did run Holtz out and not the fans. But Broyles did NOT run Hatfield out. Hatfield ran Hatfield out.

WADHOG

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on February 24, 2008, 08:54:37 pm
Here is the point. You said "Broyles ran Holtz out, not the fans, same goes for Hatfield".

The fact is Broyles did run Holtz out and not the fans. But Broyles did NOT run Hatfield out. Hatfield ran Hatfield out.
Ok.  I guess a guy that was born in Helena, played for the Hogs, and coached them too, just wanted to up and move to South Carolina for no reason at all?  I'm not saying he wasn't offered a contract, but I am saying there was unrest on the Hill between Hatfield and Broyles.