Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok guys, what's y'alls take on the UT vs Tigger high game Saturday?

Started by ALLVOL, February 21, 2008, 11:46:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

I know some on here hate UT and I expect a shot or 2. But most of you on here know bb and I do respect your opinion. So my question is how do you guys see this game playing out. As you might imagine things are crazy in Tennessee (both ends of the state). Any way thanks guys and good win over LSU.

HoundHog

Tennessee seems to be playing their best basketball of the year so I will go with the Vols. It will be tough in Memphis though.

Rooka

JFHWGBKRIII

No matter who wins.  I always pull for the SEC team when they are not playing the Razorbacks.

ALLVOL

This thing is getting a ton of hype and only going to get worse. As a program that is new to this type of success in bb its pretty cool. I know you guys have been there and done that but until we got pearl men's bb was only a passing thought. I hope we can pull it off. It should be a really good game. Good luck to y'all the rest of the way. 

BCShogs

Tennessee is better than I thought they were. With that being said.........Tigers in a blowout.

Razorbacks_77

As much as I would hate for Tennessee to be the #1 team in the country...I think they beat Memphis. They're playing great basketball right now. I sure hope I am wrong.

ALLVOL

Why I like our chances. UT has beaten them the last 2 years, 06 in Memphis and last year at Knoxville. Most of the starters on UT were on the team last year when Memphis was a top team nationally, so there will be no intimidation. The UT players think they will win and that is very important. Also Pearl has not lost to Cal yet while coaching at UT. With the Smiths and Lofton our outside game is pretty darn good. With Chism and Crews banging in the paint our inside game is good as well. We have a very pesky defense that can trap, press, zone or man seamlessly. Plus we shoot from the stripe better and our bench is deep. I think we have a very good shot at this game. Either way it should be a heck of a game. But thanks for y'alls comments. It's good to get a unbiased opinion on big games.

Razor8

I think Tennessee takes this one - Mempiss is beatable look at the UAB game - UAB should have won that and Tennessee is better than UAB granted it was at UAB but still - I will be pulling for the vols on sat. Gotta pull for your conference - specially when all the nation is saying how down the conference is this year.
Razorbacks

greasy_corner

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 21, 2008, 12:30:40 pm
Why I like our chances. UT has beaten them the last 2 years, 06 in Memphis and last year at Knoxville. Most of the starters on UT were on the team last year when Memphis was a top team nationally, so there will be no intimidation. The UT players think they will win and that is very important. Also Pearl has not lost to Cal yet while coaching at UT. With the Smiths and Lofton our outside game is pretty darn good. With Chism and Crews banging in the paint our inside game is good as well. We have a very pesky defense that can trap, press, zone or man seamlessly. Plus we shoot from the stripe better and our bench is deep. I think we have a very good shot at this game. Either way it should be a heck of a game. But thanks for y'alls comments. It's good to get a unbiased opinion on big games.

Good luck to ya on Saturday.  What's the latest thinking on the crowd ratio?  Will it be as high as 30/70?   

ALLVOL

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 21, 2008, 12:57:35 pm
Good luck to ya on Saturday.  What's the latest thinking on the crowd ratio?  Will it be as high as 30/70?  
Not in BB. I think if we can get 10 percent that will be great. When the tickets for memphis sports come available they sell out the UT game first. Tickets are being reported on ESPN for up to 10K for court side center! I love the VOLS and will be ther but if 10k is offered my way? Can you say hello hooters! But it is a very tough ticket and it will be hard for the Orange to get many.

tiber

I hope you guys win

and then we get payback in the SEC Tourney.

ALLVOL

Quote from: tiber on February 21, 2008, 01:08:15 pm
I hope you guys win

and then we get payback in the SEC Tourney.
Thanks and I would be disapointed in you if you thought otherwise. Good fan.

EastMemphisHog

I've seen them both play and person. In my opinion, Tennessee needs to get Dorsey in foul trouble in order to have a shot. Dorsey may not score the most points, but he is a game changer. The guards matchup should be good, but Memphis is just so deep. Tennessee has a good bench as well, but I give the edge to Memphis. Tennessee will have to make loads of 3's, which they usually do, because they have zero inside presence. They are a very good team, but I see Memphis winning by 12 points.

The_Bionic_Pig

As much as it pains me to say this...... "Good Ole Rockytop"   

Now I must go wash my mouth out with a lil drano & oven cleaner  :puke:
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Razorback88

I'll be cheering for Tennessee.  Does anybody know the over/under?  It should be a pretty high scoring game.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on February 21, 2008, 01:21:39 pm
As much as it pains me to say this...... "Good Ole Rockytop"  

Now I must go wash my mouth out with a lil drano & oven cleaner  :puke:

NO! Welcome to the BIG ORANGE nation my friend! LOL I get ya... Great fan base in the natural state.

WMHawgfan

I live in the Memphis area and have to listen to these Memphis idiots calling into talk shows every day moaning and groaning about how they aren't getting any respect nationally and everybody hates the tigers, and media bias blah,blah,blah. These fans actually think this tiger team is one of the best in the history of college basketball. So PLEASE!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! KICK THE LIVING **** out of the tigers this weekend.

MDH

For a couple of hours, I will be a Vol fan.  However I think you are going to get out athleted-  Tiggers by a couple.  I do hope I'm wrong, because I want Memphis beat.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Wild Bill Hog

Hot_Town_Hog

stan the man

Does anyone think that Memphis would be undefeated if they were playing in the SEC, Pac Ten,  Big East or ACC?.  I don't.  It should be a good game and if Tennessee is on they will win but you never know which Tennessee team will show up.  Memphis seems to be more consistent.

40MINSOFHELL

memphis will win, i think i see tenn. losing two in a row, @ memphis and @ vanderbilt...go ahead and smite me

WADHOG

I was most impressed with Tennessee's quickness on defense when we played.  However, Memphis is equally as quick, and deep too.  I don't think Tennessee bangs the boards like they should, and Memphis may be a bit more physical IMO.  Memphis has been in a few tight games as of late, and Tennessee has been battle tested in the SEC.  I give the edge to Tennessee.  I think the key is getting Lofton open, because I don't think he is quick enough to create his own shots against Memphis.

ALLVOL

Quote from: WADHOG on February 21, 2008, 03:01:37 pm
I was most impressed with Tennessee's quickness on defense when we played.  However, Memphis is equally as quick, and deep too.  I don't think Tennessee bangs the boards like they should, and Memphis may be a bit more physical IMO.  Memphis has been in a few tight games as of late, and Tennessee has been battle tested in the SEC.  I give the edge to Tennessee.  I think the key is getting Lofton open, because I don't think he is quick enough to create his own shots against Memphis.
I cant argue with your points. But I will point out that as of last nights game there have now been 6 different players lead the team in scoring. One of UT biggest strengths is you cant focus on 1,2 or even 3 players. If you remember Arky did what some others have early on and focused on stopping the outside game and focused on Lofton. UT scored early in the paint and forsed Arky to move back in and with the focus on Lofton it opened up J Smith. I like our chances a lot. I think it should be a very good game. My hope is that the officials let these two teams play. Ticky tack fouls will kill the potential of a really good game.

WADHOG

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 21, 2008, 04:13:59 pm
I cant argue with your points. But I will point out that as of last nights game there have now been 6 different players lead the team in scoring. One of UT biggest strengths is you cant focus on 1,2 or even 3 players. If you remember Arky did what some others have early on and focused on stopping the outside game and focused on Lofton. UT scored early in the paint and forsed Arky to move back in and with the focus on Lofton it opened up J Smith. I like our chances a lot. I think it should be a very good game. My hope is that the officials let these two teams play. Ticky tack fouls will kill the potential of a really good game.
Agreed, especially on the ref comment.  The difference is Memphis isn't every other team.  They will match up with those other players, and I don't think any certain match up will stand out like in other games.  That's why I think Lofton is the deal breaker.  We all know what can happen if he can consistently get open behind the perimeter.  I'll be rooting for the Vols, and I hope the game doesn't resemble a modern day NBA game, which I could see too.

BrooklynRoss

Tennessee will have to shoot very very well to keep this one close. I think Memphis makes a statement and wins by 18.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

SwinerBock

I think most on here could stomach rooting for Tennessee in this one because A) you are a fellow SEC team, B) the play of your team reminds us of our better teams under Nolan, and C) you are playing Memphis.

I have to begrudgingly give Bruce Pearl some props.  If I take all the posturing and the smack talk out of the equation, what I'm left with is an admiration for what he has been able to do. 

By the way, I hope you will recognize the sheer amount of effort and willpower it took for me to admit that I will root for a "UT" team, a team that has orange as it's school color.  That just doesn't happen in Arkansas.

Incidentally, my severe dislike for the UofMemphis and John Calipari is very similar to my severe dislike of anything Longhorn.  I'd be willing to bet most on here feel the same way.

ALLVOL

Quote from: SwinerBock on February 21, 2008, 05:06:28 pm
I think most on here could stomach rooting for Tennessee in this one because A) you are a fellow SEC team, B) the play of your team reminds us of our better teams under Nolan, and C) you are playing Memphis.

I have to begrudgingly give Bruce Pearl some props.  If I take all the posturing and the smack talk out of the equation, what I'm left with is an admiration for what he has been able to do. 

By the way, I hope you will recognize the sheer amount of effort and willpower it took for me to admit that I will root for a "UT" team, a team that has orange as it's school color.  That just doesn't happen in Arkansas.

Incidentally, my severe dislike for the UofMemphis and John Calipari is very similar to my severe dislike of anything Longhorn.  I'd be willing to bet most on here feel the same way.
I do recognize it but I don't get why so many arky fans dislike Tennessee. I could see LSU and or Alabama as a SEC rival but not UT. But hey I will take it and say I hope we win too.

Beaverfever

I'm pulling for tennessee but I wouldn't be surprised if memphis wins by 15 or so. 

Coach Obvious

Dropkick

Good luck! It is going to feel really strange pulling for the Vols.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Dropkick on February 21, 2008, 05:21:19 pm
Good luck! It is going to feel really strange pulling for the Vols.

Dont feel strange! Feel proud. LOL I know what you mean

SwinerBock

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 21, 2008, 05:13:49 pm
I do recognize it but I don't get why so many arky fans dislike Tennessee. I could see LSU and or Alabama as a SEC rival but not UT. But hey I will take it and say I hope we win too.
For me, it is a dislike by association.  Meaning your "UT" and "orange" reminds us of another "UT" and another "orange" located somewhere to the southwest of us.

As for others, the source of their dislike may harken back to that fateful day in 1998 when two undefeated teams met in Knoxville.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I hope TN drills those sobs.  I'm so tired of Mempiss getting a pass because they play NOBODY in a weak conference.  Plus I can't stand Calipiariariari :)

ALLVOL

Quote from: SwinerBock on February 21, 2008, 06:17:43 pm
For me, it is a dislike by association.  Meaning your "UT" and "orange" reminds us of another "UT" and another "orange" located somewhere to the southwest of us.

As for others, the source of their dislike may harken back to that fateful day in 1998 when two undefeated teams met in Knoxville.
But we we're the real UT. I mean we were UT before they were even a state!

gohogs13

My father-in-law graduated from Memphis and lives in West Memphis, AR and is a die-hard tiger fan.  My brother-in-law lives in Murphreesboro, TN and is a die hard Volunteer fan.  We are all going to try to get tickets to the game on Saturday, should be interesting, I definitely won't be sitting in between the two.  I will however, be pulling for Tennessee as much as it pains me.  We should always root for an SEC school especially when they are playing a team who plays in a cupcake conference. Oh and I forgot-I HATE CALIPARI!

zorbacks06

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 21, 2008, 06:38:15 pm
But we we're the real UT. I mean we were UT before they were even a state!
Tennessee or Texas. I hatem both.

Throwback1

Memphis is my hometown.  Was a student at MSU (then) when they made it to the championship game.  So, of course I'm pulling for the Tigers.  Having said that, I am very worried.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

ALLVOL

Quote from: zorbacks06 on February 21, 2008, 07:02:38 pm
Tennessee or Texas. I hatem both.
That kind of hate isn't very healthy. It does crack me up that some Arky fans hate us. I mean it just makes no sense to me and most Vol fans I know. It surprises most UT fans that so many Hog fans hate us because so many UT fans like the hogs. But hey, what ever floats your boat.

sirhog

I think TN will win. The conference USA schedule doesn't allow Memphis to be tested enough and they are playing an opponent as good or better than them. Foul them and make them beat you at the free throw line.

Throwback1

I would think if you asked ever Hog fan who they hated the most, Tenn. would be way, WAY down on the list.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

FedUpWithNutt

My opinion is this:    I "hope" that Tennessee wins since it would help the Hogs RPI, but....
                               I think that since the game is being played in Memphis, the Tigers win.

slopinhogs

The Vols will win this one going away .Memphis hasn't seen a defence like the vols ,and the vols offence is awesome. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

idiotghos

Memphis has the #26 strength of schedule.  Lower than several high-ranking teams, but nobody should be making them out to be the hawaii of college basketball.