Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC title game rotated

Started by preach33, February 20, 2008, 11:53:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

preach33

Now, this may be pointless. But, nonetheless I'm, gonna ask.

I would like to see the SEC title games rotated from year to year - what do you guys think?  :razorback:

AirForceHog

What stadiums do you suggest? There aren't too many that would be worthy of the SEC Championship game.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

LM RZRBCK 29

I agree. Maybe every year rotate between the Georgia Dome and The Superdome. Say next year go with the Georgia Dome and then the next the Superdome. That way it will give the guys in the west a "home" field advantage if we make it. We all know what kind of crowd shows up when the Dawgs play in SEC championship. Totally a home field for them. I like the idea.
Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

dawginar

preach33

In all honesty - once again may be dumb - in my dreams - the team with the best conference record gets to host the game, in the vent of a tie - you could loo kat head to head games - or points.

I don't know, I just get tired of it being in Atlanta every year - I would like to see the west get to host it.

Liberty bowl
Superdome
Nashville - Titans home field

I know the Georgia Dome is centraly located.

preach33

Quote from: RazorLance™ on February 20, 2008, 11:56:18 pm
I agree. Maybe every year rotate between the Georgia Dome and The Superdome. Say next year go with the Georgia Dome and then the next the Superdome. That way it will give the guys in the west a "home" field advantage if we make it. We all know what kind of crowd shows up when the Dawgs play in SEC championship. Totally a home field for them. I like the idea.

that is what my stupid butt was trying to say

preach33

Superdome - think about the HOGS in the superdome instead of the Georgia Dome - WINNER

Grunt

Quote from: preach33 on February 20, 2008, 11:53:17 pm
Now, this may be pointless. But, nonetheless I'm, gonna ask.

I would like to see the SEC title games rotated from year to year - what do you guys think?  :razorback:

i get dizzy enough just sitting in the bleachers, Rev.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

chiefsfan

Quote from: preach33 on February 20, 2008, 11:58:42 pm
In all honesty - once again may be dumb - in my dreams - the team with the best conference record gets to host the game, in the vent of a tie - you could loo kat head to head games - or points.

I don't know, I just get tired of it being in Atlanta every year - I would like to see the west get to host it.

Liberty bowl
Superdome

We are not playing the most lucrative conference championship game in all of college football at the freaking Liberty Bowl!!!!
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

preach33

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 21, 2008, 12:02:19 am
We are not playing the most lucrative conference championship game in all of college football at the freaking Liberty Bowl!!!!

Agreed = my bad, that place is a dump - RRS is a better choice.

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: preach33 on February 20, 2008, 11:59:11 pm
that is what my stupid butt was trying to say

LOL It would be awesome if the west got to host it. The Georgia Dome gives a clear advantage the eastern teams unless you are Bama or Auburn. I guess thats half of the west though. I mean, like any of the directional err Mississippi schools aren't going to make it any time soon. ;)
Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

Vandimar

I see why they have it at the most central location, but I would still prefer to play it at the location of team with the best record. It just makes sense.
I'm not in this movie, I'm not in this song.

tennhogfan

No way it is not in a dome. They won't let the weather be a factor. How about the fairgrounds in Texarkana??

Seriously, I just thought about all of the states in the southeast, and I can't think of anywhere but the two already listed. It has been talked about a lot on our local talk radio. I think it would be great.

I deeply believe the basketball tourney should either move each year or stay in Nashville. The georgia dome is an Isor for that type of venue. The sommet center is a much better place to have it.

hawgdaddy306

Quote from: preach33 on February 20, 2008, 11:58:42 pm
In all honesty - once again may be dumb - in my dreams - [bold]the team with the best conference record gets to host the game, in the vent of a tie - you could loo kat head to head games - or points.
[/bold]

Liberty bowl
Superdome

The logistics of scheduling an event of this magnitude with a couple weeks notice makes the idea improbable.  It could be done, but would appear to be a giant cluster%*#^.  I agree Georgia gets a home field advantage.  Didn't the network guys talk during the game about a contract to play there running thru 2010 or so?  Superdome would be a good option for rotating, IMO.
With the hiring of Bobby Petrino, the National Championship  project is already showing signs of improvement and will soon be back on schedule.

Hog are ya

Quote from: RazorLance? on February 20, 2008, 11:56:18 pm

This really does seem the most logical, and fair way.   What are legitimate reasons for not doing it this way?

hogfan064

There was talk a few years back that the SEC would build its own basketball, baseball, and football stadiums in Birmingham.  I'm assuming this would be a dome stadium.  There was something like a 10-20 year plan to accomplish this.   

hogfan064

Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa would be the only other 2 options available.  Although that would be a near impossible trip for many Hogs

dchoss

if you don't stand behind our troops by all means 'feel free' to stand in front of them

HotlantaHog

Super Dome is really the only good alternative I see. Because the winner of the SEC typically goes to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, and a second trip to the same place may not seem like as much of a reward, Atlanta may be the best location. The unfortunate thing is when Georgia makes the championship game it is very much like a home game for the Dogs to the great detriment of the Western team. ... Atlanta is an easy flight from pretty much anywhere, but for whatever reason, a lot of the SEC West teams don't send as many fans as they might.

preach33

I say rotate between the Super dome (west) and the Georgia dome (east)

Hogs4Ever

February 21, 2008, 11:30:51 am #20 Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:41:55 am by Hogs4Ever
I say rotate it to every SEC members' home state.  It would be up to the University of that State where the game should be played when their rotation comes up.

Every school in the SEC has an outdoor stadium so I don't see why playing the SECCG outside should be an issue.

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 21, 2008, 11:38:30 am
It would be an issue because at some point you'd have LSU playing Florida in Fayetteville in December. You think that game would be a sellout if the weather forecast was highs in the 30s?

There's a reason why the Super Bowl isn't played in Lambeau Field. And why the college national championship game is always played in a dome or a warm weather venue.

I was thinking about the players being able to play outdoors, not on possible attendance considerations.  You're right, weather would certainly affect attendance.  I just think the economy of each member schools' state is missing out on a lot of revenue by not having a chance to host the game.

DeltaBoy

I want a 3 city rotation of Alanta NO and the Titans statium in Nashville.  Rule if your home state team gets in the game it must be played at another site. 
Rule 2 if both teams are close  then the game should be played at the closest venue.
If nothing else make it NO and Alanta every other year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

The game used to be played at Legion's field in Birmingham, AL the first two years of the expanded SEC (in 1992 and 1993 when Arkansas and South Carolina joined) but according to the Sporting News in 1994, it says that two years into a five-year contract, the SEC escaped because the city fell $300,000 short of its promise of a payment of $4.5 million last season.  The city blamed it on the fact that the best team of the 1993 season was Auburn, but since they were on probation they were not eligible to play in the title game.  Also, the SEC HQ in Birmingham always knew that it wanted to move the game to Atlanta... who can blame them.  it's freaking cold in Birmingham during December.  Here is the link to that article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n12_v217/ai_15243148

I say there are two spots suitable for an SEC champ. game... Atlanta (capacity 71,250), and The Superdome (Capacity 73,003).  Liberty Bowl (62,338), The Titans field (LP field just under 69,000) are outside and that would suck.

BCShogs

Leave it in Hotlanta. Love that place.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

February 21, 2008, 11:59:20 am #25 Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:04:55 pm by gguillo
Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 21, 2008, 11:48:19 am
I want a 3 city rotation of Alanta NO and the Titans statium in Nashville.  Rule if your home state team gets in the game it must be played at another site. 
Rule 2 if both teams are close  then the game should be played at the closest venue.
If nothing else make it NO and Alanta every other year.

that can never be done considering this...  Lets set a scenario:  So if it comes down to a game at the end of the season between Arkansas and LSU for the west title, and the SEC championship game is supposed to be at the superdome for that year... and LSU wins and they go to the SEC champ game... now you are saying that in 2 weeks all the fans of LSU who pre-bought tickets to the superdome now have to cancel their hotel and travel plans to go to Atlanta???  not to mention all the city's pre planning for the game which includes tons of media, press and and vendors (which usually show up to the site of the SEC championship game at least a week early) would all have to move to another city... too much money is invested into the city and the site way before the division winners are decided.

Nashville Fan

Jacksonville or Orlando (do they have a football field)

Nashville would be cold but...

How close is Charlotte to SC?

Dallas for AR?

It would be much easier to do in basketball.
Pittman or Bust!

HogbyBirth

Geogia Dome & Super Dome.  No question.

The_Hill

They should rotate back and forth between the Georgia Dome and War Memorial
John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: BCShogs on February 21, 2008, 11:58:11 am
Leave it in Hotlanta. Love that place.

Don't worry.  I'm sure it's not going anywhere else in the for-seeable future.  I wonder what the contract is for Atlanta hosting it?  I'm sure it will be up sometime.

hogfan064

Quote from: Nashville Fan on February 21, 2008, 12:05:15 pm
Jacksonville or Orlando (do they have a football field)

Nashville would be cold but...

How close is Charlotte to SC?

Dallas for AR?

It would be much easier to do in basketball.

Jacksonivlle has the Jaguars home and Orlando has UCF's new stadium and the Citrus Bowl.

As for Charlotte.  It's about 90 minutes from Columbia, but Charlotte is an ACC city.

kimjongsqUeAl

Just asking -but why is it when we have been in the SEC Champ. game there is SO many UGA or FL fans and so few AR fans?  Seems like whoever's in the East their fans outnumber the West teams fans by a HUGE margin.  What's up with that??
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

DeltaBoy

Quote from: gguillo on February 21, 2008, 11:59:20 am
that can never be done considering this...  Lets set a scenario:  So if it comes down to a game at the end of the season between Arkansas and LSU for the west title, and the SEC championship game is supposed to be at the superdome for that year... and LSU wins and they go to the SEC champ game... now you are saying that in 2 weeks all the fans of LSU who pre-bought tickets to the superdome now have to cancel their hotel and travel plans to go to Atlanta???  not to mention all the city's pre planning for the game which includes tons of media, press and and vendors (which usually show up to the site of the SEC championship game at least a week early) would all have to move to another city... too much money is invested into the city and the site way before the division winners are decided.

We need more time before the game to do it than we do now.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

budcampbellfan

Rotate between Superdome, Ga. Dome, Orange Bowl.  Might end up with "home field" advantage sometimes but at least it would be a lucky draw and not a sure thing advantage everytime UGA wins the East.  Something needs to be worked out.  The Ga Dome all the time is not fair.

Memphis would be perfect but no worthy stadium.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Bama Hog™

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 21, 2008, 09:27:12 am
There was talk a few years back that the SEC would build its own basketball, baseball, and football stadiums in Birmingham.  I'm assuming this would be a dome stadium.  There was something like a 10-20 year plan to accomplish this.  

The Dome stadium in Birmingham has been approved. Not sure when they will begin building it.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Bama Hog™

February 21, 2008, 02:16:29 pm #36 Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:18:04 pm by Bama Hog™
Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on February 21, 2008, 12:32:01 pm
Just asking -but why is it when we have been in the SEC Champ. game there is SO many UGA or FL fans and so few AR fans?  Seems like whoever's in the East their fans outnumber the West teams fans by a HUGE margin.  What's up with that??

Lazy fans that are not willing to travel. e.g. SOME fans in South and Central Arkansas that think more games should be played at War Memorial so they don't have to drive ALL the way to Fayetteville.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

regi

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 21, 2008, 12:37:28 pm
Georgia and Florida also have much larger fanbases to draw from than Arkansas.

They do, but if UA was to play the SECCG in Memphis or LR against UF or UGA, we would have an 80/20, 70/30 home crowd percentage easy. UGA fans can pack a place in their home state as could we.

Having said all that, and living in the Atlanta area, the Georgia Dome is a perfact match for the SECCG, it is sold out before the season starts basicly and is a huge cash windfall for the city. The Atlanta Sports Council will fight tooth and nail to keep it every year. In fact, they have no interest in the ACCCG.

deshahawg

I don't see it ever being moved, but I would like to see something different. Maybe move it if Georgia is going to be in it because it's a HUGE homefield advantage to them.

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

regi

blunt_hawg

Quote from: RazorLance™ on February 20, 2008, 11:56:18 pm

I've driven to both Atlanta and New Orleans.  New Orleans is about an 8 hour trip and seems like it took about 9 to get to Atlanta (from Little Rock).  Not much of difference either way.

It'd be sweet if Memphis had a stadium that could host the game....

blunt_hawg

I definitely think the SEC basketball tournament should be alternated between Atlanta and the Fedex Forum in Memphis, just to give fans on both sides of the conference a chance to attend without a long travel....

jasonf

Lazy Fans from central and south Arkansas - have you ever seen the line along i-40 and i-540?  you can smoke crack bama hog, but don't smoke it all - if it weren't for the central Arkansas fans - RRS would seat about 40K per game.  I drive up every weekend along with thousands of others - so let's ease up on the lazy fans smack.  Besides if it weren't for the fans/players of central and south arkansas - Arkansas would start 22 from Texas.

Doggtown31LCC

yes they sould rotate it, georgia has a home field advantage everytime their in it........
L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

Doggtown31LCC

Quote from: jasonf on February 21, 2008, 04:42:45 pm
Lazy Fans from central and south Arkansas - have you ever seen the line along i-40 and i-540?  you can smoke crack bama hog, but don't smoke it all - if it weren't for the central Arkansas fans - RRS would seat about 40K per game.  I drive up every weekend along with thousands of others - so let's ease up on the lazy fans smack.  Besides if it weren't for the fans/players of central and south arkansas - Arkansas would start 22 from Texas.

how many players signed are from nw ark. Eoff & Wilson, anybody else? the rest are from central or south ark
L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

HogFaninMemphis

I think Nashville is pretty central; however, I think the league wants to avoid the weather.
Also, Memphis could not host it because the Liberty Bowl sucks.
The Tigers are almost too good to play in it.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

FelixJonesorDMAC?

It would be nice if it was rotated, because sometimes a team gets an unfair homefield advantage such as Georgia in Atlanta.  I know it's not possible, but it would be nice to determine a neutral site after the two teams have been selected.  Maybe in the middle for equal driving distances.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: budcampbellfan on February 21, 2008, 02:10:46 pm
Rotate between Superdome, Ga. Dome, Orange Bowl.  Might end up with "home field" advantage sometimes but at least it would be a lucky draw and not a sure thing advantage everytime UGA wins the East.  Something needs to be worked out.  The Ga Dome all the time is not fair.

Memphis would be perfect but no worthy stadium.

The Orange Bowl is being torn down.

AirForceHog

If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.